Robyn fighting pics

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
robyn
Archive Member

Robyn fighting pics

Post by robyn »

heyyas!

since a lot of folks asked for pics of me fighting, to show them to people that are afraid and say "look, if this little thingy fights, a big guy like you shouldn´t be sissy", here is a little collection of "useful" stuff:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90095517@N ... 156079374/

Have fun!

Robyn
It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
James Gordon
Morgan
Archive Member

Post by Morgan »

You absolutely ROCK. Wait...that'd make you Rockin' Robyn....

At any rate, those pics are ab-fab, and I can't wait to show them to a few kids that are thinking our fighting looks a little too tough!
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Post by Baron Alejandro »

Looks like someone's about to get jacked in the jibblies in this shot. :lol: :lol: "Well, I got nothin' else to aim for, hope you boys are wearin' your cups" . :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.
sarnac
Archive Member

Post by sarnac »

HEY!!

that last pic of the guy in the Sallet, with his back to the camera is of a guy from my Household....

the Rozakii.
He just got transferred to Italy.

Cool!!

Richard Blackmoore
Archive Member

Post by Richard Blackmoore »

Cool. But if you are trying to convince people to fight, showing them the huge bruise on your hip is probably not going to help! :)

Richard
Is the SCA a better place for having you in it? If not, what are you doing there?
ThorvaldR Skegglauss
Archive Member

Post by ThorvaldR Skegglauss »

hey Sir Morgan,

I am about 6'1" and 230lbs without armor, look how deep my legs are flexed. Show this to your reluctant "kids". Robyn is such a hoot to work with.

Thorald
Attachments
Robyn vs Axe.JPG
Robyn vs Axe.JPG (32.28 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
Hertogi ThorvaldR Skegglauss, Drachenwald KSCA

Just have fun and do right by yourself and others.
freiman the minstrel
Archive Member

Post by freiman the minstrel »

Morgan wrote:You absolutely ROCK. Wait...that'd make you Rockin' Robyn....
Actually, she got a new nickname yesterday.

She is the local marshal for Turmstadt (Nurnberg, Germany) and her students started calling her "Darth Small".

f
Act Your Rage
freiman the minstrel
Archive Member

sarnac wrote:HEY!!

that last pic of the guy in the Sallet, with his back to the camera is of a guy from my Household....

the Rozakii.
He just got transferred to Italy.

Cool!!

Your Grace,

That person is not actually a Rozakii. That's My brother Redrick Morningliry. The fellow in the absolutely gorgeous full plate in some of the other pics (with sabatons) is a Rozakii. We all decided that since it was a demo, and since Redrick had not polished his breastplate, he should wear a tabard. Trystan and his lovely ladywife Rebecca (who ARE Rozakii) declared his a "Freind of Rozakii" for the afternoon, since that was the only tabard we had. Apparantly, that exact wording is important.

freiman
Act Your Rage
robyn
Archive Member

Post by robyn »

hey freiman,
I guess he´s talking about the other guy, you remember, the pal of cadogan. I´m so bad in remembering names! The guy in the full plate suit...`"grin"

Hey, I´m not intending to do cupshots!!! It´s just the height my shots come in naturally.... :oops:
Yipp, the first question when I armourcheck "my" boys is "are you wearing your eggsaver?" - And everyone that already fought me just answers with a knowing smile.... :wink:

Aaaaand: people here on the archive have already chosen to fight... my album is for you guys, it´s up to you which of the pics you choose to show off...

My favourite pics are by the way: me managing to hit sir john (Yeeehaw, though the shot was too light and he killed me by reaching over me and hitting my back - I managed to hit the big thingy... hehe) , and the pic where I´m on the knees and the boys behind whack each other.... I look sooooo small... :P

Robyn

PS: aint it cool how my boots fit my helmet... *giggle*
It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
James Gordon
Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Alcyoneus »

Richard Blackmoore wrote:Cool. But if you are trying to convince people to fight, showing them the huge bruise on your hip is probably not going to help! :)

Richard
I dunno, I kinda liked it... :P
My 10yo daughter says I'm pretty!

Squire to Jarl Asgeirr Gunnarson, Barony of Vatavia, Calontir
Jehan de Pelham
Archive Member

Post by Jehan de Pelham »

Kick ass. Being able to take a beating is the best start.

If it hurts so bad that you want to cry out, laugh really loud, instead.

John
Jehan de Pelham, esquire and servant of Sir Vitus
www.mron.org
He who does not give what he has will not get what he wants.
Sir Wilhelm vonOstenbruke
Archive Member

Post by Sir Wilhelm vonOstenbruke »

freiman the minstrel wrote:
Actually, she got a new nickname yesterday.

"Darth Small".
Ok, that made me laugh. :lol: Keep on fighting!
"You are nothing without honor."
sarnac
Archive Member

Post by sarnac »

you know Frieman...your right....I saw the Sallet and the tabard and just assumed that was Trystan.... but I beleive that Trystan is actually facing the camera and NOT wearing colors..... grrrrrr..... will have to speak with him and Celeste about that! :twisted:

ROZAKII! represent!
Jon Barber
Archive Member

Post by Jon Barber »

sarnac wrote: ROZAKII! represent!
I didn't know you were Rozakii, Sarnac. It's been too many years since I hung out with them (well, I stopped by last Pennsic but just for a quick visit). I used to camp with them at Pennsic.

Jon
Steve -SoFC- wrote:Read the wikipedia article.
freiman the minstrel
Archive Member

sarnac wrote:you know Frieman...your right....I saw the Sallet and the tabard and just assumed that was Trystan.... but I beleive that Trystan is actually facing the camera and NOT wearing colors..... grrrrrr..... will have to speak with him and Celeste about that! :twisted:

ROZAKII! represent!
Your Grace,

Don't You Dare! I'm really serious.

Trystan made a multiple hour trip on Italian Roads (with Italian Drivers) to a strange place to sleep on a leaky air matress and give of himself to support a demo in a strange place. He had a plenty rough enough time. In the conversations over dinner, I learned that he had (with his beautiful lady wife) almost single handedly founded two shires/strongholds in strange places. I have (as a member of the Drachenwald Missionary Society) declared him (and his wonderful lady) to be exempt from any duties to expand the kingdom.

I mean it, he had a really rough time doing this.

In addition, he really, really wanted to be wearing his tabard, but the circumstances of the demo required that we cover my brother's Breastplate. Trystan was introduced as "Trystan of Rozakii". he brought an entire extra suit of armor to display (or put on a potential newbie) and a whole lot of extra cool stuff for display tables.

While my brother and his beautiful lady wife (Sadhika of Teaghlach) organized the demo, it would not be too far off base to say that he (and Rebeccah) picked up and carried the demo upon their backs. He was, to put in bluntly, a hero.

Rozakii was very, very well represented. They even had a very tiny ceremony to declare my brother a "Friend of Rozakii" for the afternoon. That was why I said "The exact wording is important".

Look, this guy has already presented his noble household in what can only be called the finest light. You are a much better fighter than I am, and the bards sing of your heroism and valor even far across the ocean. I am sure that your judgement is good.

But if I hear that you did this, I will sneak up on you at Pennsic, and bite you on the leg.

freiman
Act Your Rage
Duncanthemonster
Archive Member

Post by Duncanthemonster »

freiman the minstrel wrote: But if I hear that you did this, I will sneak up on you at Pennsic, and bite you on the leg.

freiman
:shock: You owe me a Mountian Dew and a new Keyboard. :shock:

That shite was funny.
Duncan the Monster
Squire to Sir Guerric
Soldier of the Midrealm
Tarquin Bjornsson
Archive Member

Post by Tarquin Bjornsson »

wow! you're tiny, how do you manage to hit hard enough?

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you Robyn?

and who is that in the rozakii tabard?
Tarquin Bjornsson squired to Duke Roak
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

Darth Small? Well, to borrow another icon from the mythos:

Effingham
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
Kilkenny
Archive Member

Post by Kilkenny »

Jehan de Pelham wrote:Kick ass. Being able to take a beating is the best start.

If it hurts so bad that you want to cry out, laugh really loud, instead.

John
Jehan de Pelham, esquire and servant of Sir Vitus
www.mron.org
It makes the other guy get really Really nervous. Seriously. It can be flat out scary.

Gavin
Captain Jamie
Archive Member

Post by Captain Jamie »

She's fighting GIANTS!!!

Captain Jamie
Samuel
Archive Member

Post by Samuel »

of course shes Sith...

its written that all lefties are Sith.. and thus she must follow her fate..

the red doc martens do help though..

Darth Samuelus........
freiman the minstrel
Archive Member

Tarquin Bjornsson wrote:wow! you're tiny, how do you manage to hit hard enough?

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you Robyn?

and who is that in the rozakii tabard?
Robyn is a lady that is over 21.

She manages to hit hard enough through very careful technique training. She really, really lacks body mass, but her muscular strength is good. She was a competitive gymnast until we broke her back, so she's not afraid of repetitive training.

Her biggest problems are her size and her tendency to forget technique when she gets jazzed. At her slight body mass means that she can't cheat blows. That, and she is incredibly vunerable to the skyhook wrap.

There is also the tendency of her opponents to really lighten up their calibration when fighting her, though that has disappeared in certain circumstances lately.

f
Act Your Rage
Sir Axel
Archive Member

Post by Sir Axel »

Seeing a woman of your size on the field is an inspiration. I especially like the stripped leggings. :D

Also Frieman, what do you mean by "She was a competitive gymnast until we broke her back" :shock:

Sir Axel of Tavastia
Viscount of Drachenwald
freiman the minstrel
Archive Member

Sir Axel wrote:Seeing a woman of your size on the field is an inspiration. I especially like the stripped leggings. :D

Also Frieman, what do you mean by "She was a competitive gymnast until we broke her back" :shock:

Sir Axel of Tavastia
Viscount of Drachenwald
Sorry, Typo, "She Broke her back".
On the field, she has had broken ribs, but no spinal injuries.

f
Act Your Rage
temazur
Archive Member

Post by temazur »

freiman the minstrel wrote: Sorry, Typo, "She Broke her back".
On the field, she has had broken ribs, but no spinal injuries.

f
Phew!

I was getting worried...I thought, "dang, drachenwald trains HARD! I'll never whimper over another bruise again!"

:lol:

Hildegard
Broadway
Moderator on Sabbatical

Post by Broadway »

One of our guys fought with a broken back this Sunday at practice... He was logging, and one of his coworkers fed his safety line into the wood chipper. It snapped before it could drag him off the tree, but the shock of the pull broke a piece of one of his vertebre off... its floating around his spine...

Broken back doesn't always mean "snapped in half".
dulce periculum
Frederich Von Teufel
Archive Member

Post by Frederich Von Teufel »

My man-at-arms is 5' 3", about 130 lbs. However, she's made me see stars during a bout of messing around with heavily padded weapons (let's just say that I was both very glad how heavily padded they were, and I'm never going to be lax in my blocking again.) She's small, but that doesn't mean she doesn't know how to generate power. She can easily get the attention of even the largest guy if they don't block properly.

She needs to move more, and learn to block that high scorpion wrap, but power is not of concern.

Frederich
Euric Germanicus
Archive Member

Post by Euric Germanicus »

My girlfriend is a fighter. You would never know it by looking at her.

5' 8" 140lbs Beautiful girl

Most people do not know she is a gymnast, so she's solid muscle.

She fights pole and greatsword. She also fights rapier, and has for about five years. Her accuracy is pinpoint with her polearm.

I remember my squire brother and I getting in armor, and her matching up against a huge fighter from out of town. He asked me if I was afraid she would be hurt. I was like nah, it's the big guy I'm worried about.

A few seconds later, she gacks him with a thrust to the face.

I still hate fighting her. She's too damn fast, and I never live it down when she wins :oops:

Never judge someone by their size.

See you at Pennsic Robyn. I'll be sure (like many here) to say hello.
Lucius Euric Germanicus
Squire to Duke Master Achilles
House Serpentius
"You don't lose if you fight with honor. You may not win, but you sure don't lose." - Animal Weretiger
MoB

Post by MoB »

Robyn please butt rap the Earl for me when next you meet. Tell him Matthew sends his regards. Great pics.
robyn
Archive Member

Post by robyn »

MoB wrote:Robyn please butt rap the Earl for me when next you meet. Tell him Matthew sends his regards. Great pics.
well, if I manage to get around him... :D It´s gotten much easier lately to get around the earl *giggle* ....

Yeah, the broken back didn´t mean I broke in half... though this would be a good explain for my size.... :P
Ant the rib thing was my own fault. I should have known that my bones are much thinner than the bones of fighters the armour rules were made for. But since we put plastic into my leather breastplate I´m fine....
Seeing a woman of your size on the field is an inspiration. I especially like the stripped leggings.
Actually, I don´t wear the stripes for SCA normally, just for LARP, but this was a demo for kids and I thought they probably like them.... They´re cute, and they look good with elf-ears....

My age is 24 (still younf enough to tell), and yes, I have probs sometimes generating power. If I just train technique I can blow a 200 pound guy off his feet, but somehow I forget about all that when I fight. I really hit hard when you make me mad too, but I wouldn´t recommend that, I tend to ruin armour doing this (ask the minstrel....). So I would have the power, I just have to find out how to get it into the battle.... without getting my mind to the "insane" state....
She's fighting GIANTS!!!
yeah, I keep thinking I´m a reverse gulliver... You folks just grew too big. All of you.
But if I hear that you did this, I will sneak up on you at Pennsic, and bite you on the leg.

freiman
Guy, take this serious. He does it. I remember the day when I came home and had to explain to my girlfriend why I have bitemarks on my leg. I´m not joking....

Hey, effingham, that pic´s gonna be printed out. I think about putting this on a T-shirt....

:D :D :D

Greets
Rob
James Gordon
Gwydion Caithnes
Archive Member

Post by Gwydion Caithnes »

freiman the minstrel wrote:There is also the tendency of her opponents to really lighten up their calibration when fighting her, though that has disappeared in certain circumstances lately.
"Never underestimate the power of the dark side..."

Seriously, I NEVER underestimate small fighters, or lady fighters. Or small lady fighters. I've had my a$$ handed to me by doing that too many times, before learning the lesson...

Bring your "A game" to every fight. Or at least your "A-minus game." You never know when you're gonna get your clock cleaned...
Dalewyn
Archive Member

Post by Dalewyn »

The first time I saw pics of the Dwarves vs. Giants battle, I thought, "who let that little kid into the field?"; and then I noticed it was me...you just have to be fast and hit hard, and big people have SOOO much more to hit. I'm sure she's a great fighter. See you at Pennsic!
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

Hey, effingham, that pic´s gonna be printed out. I think about putting this on a T-shirt....
:D

Effingham
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
Kilkenny
Archive Member

Post by Kilkenny »

Gwydion Caithnes wrote:
freiman the minstrel wrote:There is also the tendency of her opponents to really lighten up their calibration when fighting her, though that has disappeared in certain circumstances lately.
"Never underestimate the power of the dark side..."

Seriously, I NEVER underestimate small fighters, or lady fighters. Or small lady fighters. I've had my a$$ handed to me by doing that too many times, before learning the lesson...

Bring your "A game" to every fight. Or at least your "A-minus game." You never know when you're gonna get your clock cleaned...
Very first SCA fighting I ever saw involved His Grace Cariadoc of the Bow. I had the good fortune of getting my initial training from him as well.
Despite his short stature Duke Cariadoc has never, to my knowledge, had any problem with generating power - he once knocked me off my feet and sliding across the floor with a single broadsword blow. I deserved it - he was simply explaining that I should have taken the almost identical blow that had landed moments before on an armored part of my torso...I learned to judge by sound in that harness.

oh yeah.. I'm about ten inches taller than His Grace, and back then weighed in at about 180 in harness.

Gavin
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

I too had my initial training from Cariodoc. He showed me that power can be generated even by a short guy hitting you while he is jumping into the air.

(And I sure remember you when you were a big goofy teenager, Gavin)
I am the SCA's middle finger.
www.clovenshield.org