I WTB a Moor in 14thC Andalusian Spain

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Oswyn_de_Wulferton
Archive Member

Post by Oswyn_de_Wulferton »

I wanna be a Moor inn Lower Spain during the 14th century! One of my friends is doing this and we are running up against a bit of a block trying to figure out what from Byzantium and Saracen culture carried over. Thanks.
Westerners, we have forgotten our origins. We speak all the diverse languages of the country in turn. Indeed the man who was poor at home attains opulence here; he who had no more than a few deiners, finds himself master of a fourtune.
Lawrence Parreira
Archive Member

Post by Lawrence Parreira »

Ive been looking into doing the same thing, so I may have a little info that might help. The best I can do is post some pics i got from an Osprey book I have scanned onto my computer.
Attachments
14th cent moors
14th cent moors
untitled.JPG (98.93 KiB) Viewed 988 times
14th cent moors
14th cent moors
untitled2.JPG (99.14 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Lawrence Parreira
Archive Member

According to this book, the Andalusian moors had more in common with thier enemies, the Spanish and Portuguese, than with the Saracens and Persians. The Moorish empire in Al-Andulas (as Iberia was called by the Moors) was relatively secluded from other Muslim countries in the Middle east.
Attachments
14th cent moors
14th cent moors
1.JPG (98.68 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Last edited by Lawrence Parreira on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence Parreira
Archive Member

In the third picture the cavalryman is described as wearing light cloth covered body armor, but most seem to be wearing chain mail with a sort of akheton over the mail, a european or arabic style helmet and, of course, the traditional muslim style dress. Weapons seem to match their European counterparts fairly closely.
Rana
Archive Member

Post by Rana »

Any more resources on this topic? I have this Osprey book, and it's swell, but I'd love to have a broader knowledge base than one book.

By the way I have the ardaga now, been fighting with it for a while, yay! Have a promised amazing helm on the way, modified spangen with arabic decor (still in progress).
Persian style boots by Bohemon.
Blk leather bazu with Arabic tooling.

Now I need to pull together the stuff in the middle, heh. Would like to incorporate chainmaile as appropriate.
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
At night, the ice weasels come." -

Matt Groening
chris_auld

Post by chris_auld »

A really good book for this area and period is:

The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews, and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain by Maria Rosa Menocal
-------------------
Master John Guthrie, OL
Squire to Count Vik Vikingsson
Lions Gate, An Tir
-------------------
Rana
Archive Member

Post by Rana »

Ah! I am reading that very book right now!

It's a good read--and the title describes the reason I am interested in this time and place. That and the Alhambra.
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
At night, the ice weasels come." -

Matt Groening