Greek Bronze Cuirass by Kirby

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Laurie Wise
Archive Member

Greek Bronze Cuirass by Kirby

Post by Laurie Wise »

Taken at the recent Estrella War and worn by the owner, who is a Macedonian/Thracian reenactor/collector. This is based on a 4th Century BCE Greek Cuirass design. Kirby hand hammered this using 1/8" Bronze sheet that had to be special ordered.

It took quite awhile for the customer to settle on this particular style after sifting through all his sources and ours. Then the sheet had to be ordered and Kirby had to build a new polisher after crafting this. Although Kirby had made muscled cuirasses before, it had been several years since the last one. This was all done on the anvil with hammer between anneallings.

Although you cannot see them, all the hinges and pins were handmade. All edges turned. It also has handmade bronze buckles for the "strap&buckle" sidework. The nipples are pure silver. Eventually it will have a Thracian style gorget with piercwork/overlay.

The iron spearhead was made by Kirby based on an actual artifact the customer wanted reproduced. As a skilled woodworker, the customer turned down the spearshaft and made the leather wrapping after putting the head on. The solid cast bronze butt he found elsewhere. The kopis is on our website. This is the same owner of the Rhomphaia, Kirby made, that I posted on the MyArmoury.com website last year. I am hoping to get some closeups of the cuirass soon to post later.

I will find out from him later where the Thracian helmet was commissioned from. The leather undergarment was made by "Spartan Creations" here in Arizona whose owner makes museum quality Hoplite panolpy.
Attachments
Greek Bronze Cuirass 4th Cent BCE
Greek Bronze Cuirass 4th Cent BCE
KirbymadeCuirass.jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Last edited by Laurie Wise on Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie Wise, FSA Scot.
Baroness Morgana Swansdottir, OL (Aten.)
Kirby Wise-Fraser, FSA Scot. & Son Arms and Armour
(Baron Kovacs Zoltan, OL (Aten&West)Court Baron/Aten)
Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Alcyoneus »

I think we need some close ups. ;)
audax
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by audax »

I think I need a shower.
Martel le Hardi
black for the darkness of the path
red for a fiery passion
white for the blinding illumination
--------------------------------------
Ursus, verily thou rocketh.
MathRocks
Archive Member

Post by MathRocks »

That's just plain beautiful :) And yes--close ups please!

Best,
MR
btmcrae
Archive Member

Post by btmcrae »

Fantastic work, and overall some great kit that is. Nice work as always.

P.S.: Hello to the Kirbys from a couple of McRaes of So. Cal(one of which is myself) who know Kirby from the Round Potrero gatherings.
The madness has begun!
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

We are not worthy, we are not worthy...

<Bows>
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
Otto von Teich
Archive Member

Post by Otto von Teich »

Mein Gott! That is awesome! ....Otto
Donngal
Archive Member

Post by Donngal »

I have seen this piece and its awesome. Its made from a sheet of 12 gauge bronze. I watched the progression on it which was cool to see. He used a ball peen pretty much to build the whole thing. Hammering the shapes out over the anvil face from the inside. He had some good pictures to go from profiles and such.

Donngal
http://Www.aesirmetalwyrks.com
http://www.facebook.com/AesirMetalwyrks.
email aesirarmoury@gmail.com

not only do you have to have creative metal working skills but you have to be able to manage the business office side
otherwise you will not make it.
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

Wow that is beyond groovy-licious!
lorenzo2
Archive Member

Post by lorenzo2 »

Cool, not overdone and cartoonish like some SCA versions. Backplate pics please.
Barrett Hiebert

Post by Barrett Hiebert »

Greetings,

That look's awesome Mrs.Wise, did you recieve my e-mail, do you at all do any historical bronze weaponry, bronze scales? Thanks, and I look forward to talking to you. Keep up the good work! Cheers!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert
-Teroare
iaenmor
Archive Member

Post by iaenmor »

Very well done. I only see one problem with it. Not enough pics, more please.
John Moore
Laurie Wise
Archive Member

Post by Laurie Wise »

Update.

I was promised some detailed photos of the back and sides would be sent. Maybe some early production ones similar to Sir Donngal's post while watching Kirby hammer the breastplate.

The Thracian helmet and face was made by Piella of Lone Mountain Forge (knowing the owner, I just bet Piella had no idea what he was getting into....;)

The shield is faced with Yellow Bronze and the design painted by Spartan Creations.

Oh, and the cloak was made by the owner's wife (waves a "Hi" as I know she will be reading this)

To mccrae: "A Fraser is never without as long as a McRae is within" It's been years since I attended a Clan Fraser gathering at the Round Potrero. Hopefully that will change soon.

To Barrett

Kirby has made a few bronze pieces but there was never a great call for him to do this. He made a xiphos for Lysander of Sparta but that was decades ago. Since then, only a few "ritual" daggers but it's been years since making those.

It's only been in the last couple of decades or less, there has been a big enough interest in Bronze Age reenacting/Living History to create a need. That and enough people who can afford having this done. There have always been bronzesmiths but making bronze weaponry that is authentic based on originals calls for particular skills to be developed. AND that these have the proper "feel" because it was done just like the originals. You find this by reading Jeron Zuiderwijk's essays over on the SFI site.

As for Bronze Age Cuirass. Kirby took this on as a challenge because now he had the opportunity because the owner had the means (and was extremely insistant KIRBY make it!). It's not inexpensive as the bronze sheet had to be special ordered. To hammer it out seems simple but it also calls for more careful handling because of the material. In the Time and work involved to create this Bronze cuirass, he could have made several muscled steel ones. But that was not the point nor the reason. Just as he took on the challenge of making the Rhomphaia....because it was.

So, my suggestion to you about Bronze Scales armour, is to read all you can about making scales themselves and the different ways it was attached. Go through the "Search" here to read similar posts and elsewhere online. Get some brass or steel sheet and develop the skills with practice. Later invest in some bronze and take what you learned to make your own. Eventually, you just may find others liking your work and placing commissions. Kirby forged his first sword blade at 14 and his first halfsuit (16th Century "Spanish" with morion) a couple of years later with no one to show him. But to become an armourer, you have to start somewhere.

To learn how your ancestors made theirs, reflect on what you have read and think how YOU might do it. You just might find you have the knack and best of all, the heart.
Laurie Wise, FSA Scot.
Baroness Morgana Swansdottir, OL (Aten.)
Kirby Wise-Fraser, FSA Scot. & Son Arms and Armour
(Baron Kovacs Zoltan, OL (Aten&West)Court Baron/Aten)
Barrett Hiebert

Post by Barrett Hiebert »

Greetings,

Laurie Wise:

Thanks for your speedy reply! Sorry for getting back to you late!
To Barrett

Kirby has made a few bronze pieces but there was never a great call for him to do this. He made a xiphos for Lysander of Sparta but that was decades ago. Since then, only a few "ritual" daggers but it's been years since making those.

It's only been in the last couple of decades or less, there has been a big enough interest in Bronze Age reenacting/Living History to create a need. That and enough people who can afford having this done. There have always been bronzesmiths but making bronze weaponry that is authentic based on originals calls for particular skills to be developed. AND that these have the proper "feel" because it was done just like the originals. You find this by reading Jeron Zuiderwijk's essays over on the SFI site.

As for Bronze Age Cuirass. Kirby took this on as a challenge because now he had the opportunity because the owner had the means (and was extremely insistant KIRBY make it!). It's not inexpensive as the bronze sheet had to be special ordered. To hammer it out seems simple but it also calls for more careful handling because of the material. In the Time and work involved to create this Bronze cuirass, he could have made several muscled steel ones. But that was not the point nor the reason. Just as he took on the challenge of making the Rhomphaia....because it was.

So, my suggestion to you about Bronze Scales armour, is to read all you can about making scales themselves and the different ways it was attached. Go through the "Search" here to read similar posts and elsewhere online. Get some brass or steel sheet and develop the skills with practice. Later invest in some bronze and take what you learned to make your own. Eventually, you just may find others liking your work and placing commissions. Kirby forged his first sword blade at 14 and his first halfsuit (16th Century "Spanish" with morion) a couple of years later with no one to show him. But to become an armourer, you have to start somewhere.

To learn how your ancestors made theirs, reflect on what you have read and think how YOU might do it. You just might find you have the knack and best of all, the heart.
Thanks for the explanation and the inspiring words, I will keep them all in my heart! I have read all of Jeron Zuiderwijk's articles and I'm very thankyou for what he posts, as I am for your posts and words of wisdom! I will do the best job possible, and I will start searching right away! Thankyou and, it was good hearing from you! I wish you best in the future! Cheers!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert
-Teroare