Hand-quilted Arming Doublet UPDATED PICS

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Muriel
Archive Member

Hand-quilted Arming Doublet UPDATED PICS

Post by Muriel »

Hi all,

I thought I would share a project that has kept me busy for about 100 hours over the last few weeks (yikes). :) :) :) I had a customer who purchased an arming doublet from Revival - sans any visible machine stitching.

With some helpful hints from my buddy, Tasha, we fit the garment. Once fitted, I made some alterations (so it would fit him quite close) - all sewn by hand. Quilting came next. The quilting pattern was based on the quilting evident on the CdB extant garment, per the Janet Arnold article (thanks again to Tasha for sending that along to me). After the quilting, some eyelets and voila. :)

My customer should be at an event this weekend and he's promised to send along some pics. I'll try to post them here when I get them.

In the meantime, enjoy!

http://www.argentneedle.com/images/doublet/

Muriel
Last edited by Muriel on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knitebee
Archive Member

Post by knitebee »

Looks incredible, cann't wait to see pictures of it being worn.

brian
Sigurd Fjalarson
Archive Member

Post by Sigurd Fjalarson »

that is outstanding... Any site with the pattern? And would this be appropriate for someone in Germany circa 1370-90 or so instead of a gambeson with holes to point the amor?

Sieghart
Sigurd Fjalarson,Heinrich von Faulkner
-But you can call me Randy

"Praise no day 'til evening; No wife 'til on her pyre; No sword 'til tested; No maid 'til bedded; No ice 'til crossed; No ale 'til drunk." ~ Havamal
Muriel
Archive Member

Post by Muriel »

When you ask if there is any site for the pattern?? Do you mean is it documentable?? Yes. In 1991, Janet Arnold wrote an article titled "The Jupon or Coat-Armour of the Black Prince in Canterbury Cathedral". I believe it's on page 19, where she shows a drawing of the quilting pattern that is on the Charles de Bois pourpoint. (Thanks again to Tasha for providing it to me). This pourpoint has been given a date of 1363.

There are other quilting patterns that can be seen in illuminations (Lancelot du Lac - all horizontal). In the Moyen Age magazine (Mar/April 2003 issue) - there is an article on the CdB pourpoint. On pg. 37 - there is a painting showing a padded garment, where the body is quite clearly quilted in the same pattern as the CdB. The sleeves have the quilting on the grande assiettes continuing all the way down the sleeve (no directional quilting difference at the elbow). This pic is dated to approx 1361.

Is this what you meant?

Re: German?? I honestly don't know. I'm just not that familiar with German effigies or drawings/illuminations. Most of my collection revolves around French and English. sorry.
Ingvarr
Slut in waiting

Post by Ingvarr »

I don't think he was asking for a cite on the authenticity, but a site where he could get the pattern for himself.
Charlotte J wrote:never go full Konstantin!
Muriel
Archive Member

Post by Muriel »

Oh - OK! :)

I didn't use a website for the pattern of the quilting. Just the research. Drawing the pattern onto the garment was done using the existing seams and either a 1 or 2 finger width (approx. 3/4 inch or 1 1/2 inch) between each seam line.

The garment itself was pre-made by Revival (sans any visible machine stitching).

Is that a better explanation??
iaenmor
Archive Member

Post by iaenmor »

Very nice. I am assuming that it laces in a zig-zag,ladder pattern up the front. Man I wish someone would do a Dummies for the GA sleeve. I have the most trouble figuring it out, even after looking Tasha's site it still confuses me. Thanks for the pics.
John Moore
MelanieC
Archive Member

Post by MelanieC »

Oh, Muriel, that came out so beautifully!
Melanie C.
Pippa Morosini (formerly Millicent Chandler)
Ponte Alto, Atlantia, SCA
Tailoress
+1

Post by Tailoress »

iaenmor wrote:Very nice. I am assuming that it laces in a zig-zag,ladder pattern up the front. Man I wish someone would do a Dummies for the GA sleeve. I have the most trouble figuring it out, even after looking Tasha's site it still confuses me. Thanks for the pics.
I don't really explain how the G.A. works on that one article of mine -- it's about the G.A. in general, but not very specifically about the tailoring and exactly how it goes together and works. Sorry about that. I've been promising that for a long time. One of these days.

-Tasha
Armoured Air Bear
Archive Member

Post by Armoured Air Bear »

WOW- that looks awesome. really nice job. it semms like it has a really great shape to it. really want to see it on a person. what would one of these set someone back?

Again- truly phenominal job 8) ,

Aaron
iaenmor
Archive Member

Post by iaenmor »

Tasha, I still think yours is one of the best explanation of how the sleeve works and the drawing does help with trying to figure out the patterning. I just really suck at making my own patterns. Until then I will eagerly await one day.
John Moore
Muriel
Archive Member

Post by Muriel »

Armoured Air Bear wrote: what would one of these set someone back?
Aaron
responded privately
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Post by Baron Alejandro »

Cheers, Muriel! Your work is fab. One day I hope to conquer the zen of quilted garments. :(
Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.
Muriel
Archive Member

Post by Muriel »

Baron Alejandro wrote:Cheers, Muriel! Your work is fab. One day I hope to conquer the zen of quilted garments. :(
Ya know . . . I could conquer them for ya! 'cause you look teh sweeeet in the 14th c! :twisted: :twisted:
Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Alcyoneus »

Tasha McG wrote:I don't really explain how the G.A. works on that one article of mine -- it's about the G.A. in general, but not very specifically about the tailoring and exactly how it goes together and works. Sorry about that. I've been promising that for a long time. One of these days.

-Tasha
We wants it now, if not sooner.... :wink:
Sigurd Fjalarson
Archive Member

Yeah, i was asking cuz i wanted to attempt to produce one myself, thanks for the info

"Praise no day 'til evening; No wife 'til on her pyre; No sword 'til tested; No maid 'til bedded; No ice 'til crossed; No ale 'til drunk." ~ Havamal
Muriel
Archive Member

Post by Muriel »

Cool! Please show us pics when you're done.

Are you planning on making the whole thing? Or are you going to start with a Revival/HE blank?
Sigurd Fjalarson
Archive Member

much like others on the AA my budge is ,imited, so I was going to attempt on completely myself. Hence why I was looking for a pattern :D

Muriel
Archive Member

Being worn

Post by Muriel »

http://www.argentneedle.com/images/doub ... oublet.jpg

FINALLY - I'm posting pictures (with permission) of the hand-quilted doublet actually being worn.

Of course - It's DIRTY now (argh!) hehehehehe
MelanieC
Archive Member

Re: Being worn

Post by MelanieC »

Muriel wrote:FINALLY - I'm posting pictures (with permission) of the hand-quilted doublet actually being worn.
Such gorgeous work. Le sigh.
Of course - It's DIRTY now (argh!) hehehehehe
Since Tom's my La Belle hubby, you want I should take my distaff to him? ;)
Melanie C.
Pippa Morosini (formerly Millicent Chandler)
Ponte Alto, Atlantia, SCA
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Post by Baron Alejandro »

Muriel wrote:
Baron Alejandro wrote:Cheers, Muriel! Your work is fab. One day I hope to conquer the zen of quilted garments. :(
Ya know . . . I could conquer them for ya! 'cause you look teh sweeeet in the 14th c! :twisted: :twisted:
1 - There is no way I could afford the fabulousness of your work.

2 - They'd take away my burgeonet if I joined the 14th C mafia.

2a - I already HAVE a set of 14th Cen!!!
Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.