Body Armour Dilema

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
EarlDuncan
Archive Member

Body Armour Dilema

Post by EarlDuncan »

I have dilema :shock:

I like fighting in my 14th century sport kit better than my eraly period these days, but I hate wearing the breastplate to go with it.

Lets face it..kidney belts and bascinets make you look rediculous.
:roll:
Wearing it under makes me look even more portley than I am. :lol:

Any ideas for low pro flexable, marshal satisfying body armour?

I had thoughts of a belt that looked like an ovesized "plaque" belt

Regards

Duncan
Guillaume Beauvin
Archive Member

Post by Guillaume Beauvin »

Brigandine? Though in 14th century I guess it might be a COP.

-Guillaume
Sean Powell
Archive Member

Post by Sean Powell »

Pictures of your present kits might help. So would a picture of what you define as 'portly' as that varies quite a bit from person to person.

Sean
Josh W
Archive Member

Post by Josh W »

I'd just select one from among the myriad designs of Coats of Plates that feature horizontal lames.
"When a land rejects her legends, Sees but falsehoods in the past;
And its people view their Sires in the light of fools and liars,
'Tis a sign of its decline and its glories cannot last."
Lord O'Quinn
Archive Member

Post by Lord O'Quinn »

If your looking for something to hide, you can try making something like this? I use a slightly modified one in SS (I used Alum on this one) and it works great, can hardly feel it at all and protects well. I would suggest using the 6 plate design, it tends to hug the body better than a 2 or 4 plate design (not including spine plate) its a pretty simple pattern and works good in........... "barrel plastic!"

>>>>>>*runs and hides* :oops:

Just make sure to use a good layer of foam or padding regardless of material used.

O'Quinn
Chivalry is not a weekend hobby, it is a way of life

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordoquinn/
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

How exactly does the breastplate give you trouble, EarlDuncan? Is it interfering with your arm motion?
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

Yeah thats what i was thinking?

Is it uncomfortable? It may not fit. Get it worked on.

Is it to heavy? Make another outta Aluminum, Spring Steel, Titaniun

Is it getting in the way? See #1

Not cover enough? Might need kidney plates or whatever

I wear a solid Churburg 14, it's fine. I did find that if i strap it doesn tight it doesnt move right. If it's just enough to be on me, then it shifts as i move my arms.

So what exactly is "wrong"with it
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Lamallar under a Jupon.

If you use smaller plates it will conform to your body shape and won't be noticable.
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Milan H
Archive Member

Post by Milan H »

A guy in my local group had to go with a low profile armor to keep the weight down on his neck and shoulders. Basically its just squares of plastic that are laced together, with some shaped lung and back plates. All the plates have a bit of a curve to help conform to his body, and it all goes on under his gambeson.

Actually a pretty simple and effective solution. It moves very well, isnt bulky at all, cheap, and covers as much or as little as you want.
Karl Helweg
Archive Member

kendo

Post by Karl Helweg »

Earl Duncan - I also have trouble wearing a breastplate. My scrawny chest needs to move more in a fight that breastplates allowed. Then I took up kendo and noticed that the particular cut of the do wasn't interfering with even two-handed weapons. I copied that basic shape with better results than I expected for my Landsknecht rig. I am tinkering with this basic outline (which doesn't even look too bad) for a Churburg. One made from metal like spring steel, titanium, or even aluminum should weigh very little and move very freely while looking good over a tabbard.

Since these tend to sit high on the waist you might want to attach the plaque belt to the bottom, like a mini-fauld, to extend the protection and look cool. Light pauldrons could be laced to the shoulder points of the straps for protection and a more balanced look. Thin etched brass work would add more to the appearance than weight especially if everything was a high polish.
Karl
http://earngyld.org/
I am from Oertha so I am automatically cooler than you.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

For late fourteenth century "hidey-harness" I have one word: Lentner.

From a post on MyArmoury:
The Charles VI garment is seven layers of material with two layers of raw cotton (aka cotton wool) as stuffing. From the inside to the outside it is stacke[d] like this:

2 layers of linen
1 layer of raw cotton
2 layers of linen
1 layer of raw cotton
2 layers of linen
1 layer of silk brocade
That would certainly seem to give some helpful hints on how to build a protective torso portion. Lentners in period illustration all seem to have a lot of volume and body. We have more pics around than just Herr Ritter Walter von Hohenklingen -- though his effigy is really good for the buttons!

For pattern, you could do worse than Chapter 25 of TOMAR. It has a Lentner, gigantic bagpipe sleeve and all, on the pages just after the CdB. This garment is rather loose for incorporating hard kidney plates in it, but a form-fitting kidney protection would hide very well, as will low-pro shoulders, arms, and elbows.

Period Patterns 101 has it too, though PP often needs a grain of salt. Probably a bagpipe sleeve added to View I.

Two shots of Hugh Knight:

http://www.livinghistorylibrary.org/for ... si&img=226

http://www.livinghistorylibrary.org/for ... si&img=227
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
EarlDuncan
Archive Member

Post by EarlDuncan »

Thanks for the replies. :D

I dont mind the weight of my plackart really. Its just for me in body armour less is more.

[img]http://reivers.us/gallery/gulf_war_dunc_morg2.jpg[/img]

I am the one in the blue. Morgan is on the right.

I have 5 inch leather belt with abs plates on under the sircoat in that pic.

Duncan

[/img]
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Ooh, somebody else who knoweth the worthy Good Sir Coat! Eamonn will be so pleased! :wink:

Is your charge a spray of hyacinths?