Looking for boots appropriate for a Border Reiver.

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Gavin Kerr

Looking for boots appropriate for a Border Reiver.

Post by Gavin Kerr »

Hi-

I am looking at creating a Scottish Border Reiver kit for an SCA persona and am looking for appropriate boots. In looking at the various sites dedicated to them i believe tall riding boots would be what I want. But where do I find good quality boots that look period correct?

Thanks
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Armstreet
Steel Mastery
Revival

All do a nice high riding boot.
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

The designs in "Before the Mast: Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose" are shorter, more like calf and knee length, but a thigh high boot would just be the same design only taller as the leg part is one piece in most if not all designs. The foot part is often 1 or 2 pieces.

I would however suggest wearing shoes or shorter boots if you are not riding a horse at what ever event you are at. Wearing riding boots outside of riding seems as common then as wearing a modern riding outfit in public is today.
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
chef de chambre
Archive Member

Post by chef de chambre »

You don't want a pointed toe riding boot. Round toed is where it is at during the height of the era, and the heel begins to come in.

I would agree with James regarding riding boots in most portrayals, excepting the borderer's spent more time riding, about to ride, just finishing riding, and doing all sorts of odd things, while mounted on horseback (including fishing). They would seem to have spent as much time in the saddle as the average Mongol, or near to it.

On the other hand, if you don't ride, and are a 'Foot Loon', then you would not be wearing the boots.
Tibbie Croser
Archive Member

Post by Tibbie Croser »

Armlann has nice boots, too.

James, my impression of the tall boots in the Mary Rose book is that they are thigh-high. The only other boots shown are ankle length. I'd be curious as to what gives you the impression of calf-high or knee-high boots. I think the boots are even described as being thigh boots. Calf-high and knee-high boots seem to be relatively uncommon in the 16th-century art I've seen, especially after the early 1500s. My impression is that they're more of a 15th-century fashion which fades away in the 16th century. It's possible that some things in art which look like knee boots could be thick knee-high hosen worn above ankle boots.

I have the paperback edition of Stepping Through Time on order from Amazon. Maybe that'll give me better information.
Blackstone
Archive Member

Post by Blackstone »

Also:

Bohemond, for both lower shoes and the tall boots

(Tall boots so practical in the Southwest -- who wants a cactus spine in the stocking? :) )
--
SCA: Charles Robert Blackstone, al-Barran, Outlands
Shortest Squire ever of Sir Lavan Longwalker
(...and tallest Chipendale)
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Flittie wrote:James, my impression of the tall boots in the Mary Rose book is that they are thigh-high. The only other boots shown are ankle length. I'd be curious as to what gives you the impression of calf-high or knee-high boots.
After looking this weekend (I was looking up some welt info) I did notice several pairs of thigh high boots in there which I thought were calf from memory; however I might be mixing several sources together in my head. I may take another look this week.
James B.
Historic Life
Karen Larsdatter
Archive Member

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

James B. wrote:Wearing riding boots outside of riding seems as common then as wearing a modern riding outfit in public is today.
Not that this fella is a border reiver, obviously, but he's certainly not riding a horse:
http://bilddatenbank.khm.at/viewArtefact?id=89975

Dunno how realistic that is for an early 16th century falconer, but it's certainly an interesting opportunity to view his clothing & accoutrements in the round.
Larsdatter.com: read the linkspages, and follow me on Facebook & Tumblr.
chef de chambre
Archive Member

He has likely either dismounted, or is about to mount to ride.

Falconry was VERY commonly undertaken while being mounted. I would say the boots are a cue to the artists audience of the falconers social standing as someone who both was an equestrian, and who had the social standing to enjoy an aristocratic sport.
Phil Crawley

Post by Phil Crawley »

Mine are made by Sarah Juniper and are totally handmade and fitted- however with the exchange rate you'd be paying $1000 before postage!
http://www.sarahjuniper.co.uk/17c.html (towards the bottom, above the buff coat).

They are immortal and have served me well in all manner of circumstances (from hacking across the Borders to foam parties :shock: ) and get a service (cleaning, patching, resoling) every five years that costs me the same as servicing a car but I expect my granchildren will be able to wear them as they will still be going :)

Get good shoes and a good bed cos if you ain't in one you are in the other ;)
"I am going to be killed responsibly on horseback, as a compliment to the cavalry."
chef de chambre
Archive Member

But an Elizabethan boot would differ a bit, would it not? That boot looks like second quarter of the 17th century, to my eye. Great for 30 years war, or ECW, but not so right for the 1560's-80's
Dansknecht
Archive Member

Post by Dansknecht »

Elizabethan boots would have a rounded toe rather than square or pointed, and have a lower heel. As for turning down the tops, I've never seen any (Elizabethan) image showing the whole bucket top thing, but in Lant's Roll (of Sir Philip Sidney's funeral procession) and some illustrations of armor, the top couple inches or so are shown turned down to display the lace edging on boot hose.
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

Dansknecht wrote:Elizabethan boots would have a rounded toe rather than square or pointed, and have a lower heel. As for turning down the tops, I've never seen any (Elizabethan) image showing the whole bucket top thing, but in Lant's Roll (of Sir Philip Sidney's funeral procession) and some illustrations of armor, the top couple inches or so are shown turned down to display the lace edging on boot hose.
do you have any pictures of these?
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Alcyoneus »

Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Post by Rittmeister Frye »

My boots were made by a fine craftsman by name of John Shrader, who makes absolutely wonderful boots for a very reasonable price. Here's his website:

http://www.shraderbootmaker.com/

He's made boots or shoes for many of my friends and comrades, and he not only makes a durable product but fully stands behind his wares as well.

BTW, here's a nice miniature of an Elizabethan Gentleman, booted and spurred, and ready to leap upon a horse and ride off to adventure.

Cheers!

Gordon
Attachments
Booted and Spurred.jpg
Booted and Spurred.jpg (90.11 KiB) Viewed 498 times
"He who wields the sword will be first served"
Charles Napier
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

This thread really makes me want to try my hand at making some boots. Looking through "Before the Mast: Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose" always makes me want to make tall boots and cow mouth shoes even though I have not made a 16th c clothing kit yet.
James B.
Historic Life
Phil Crawley

Post by Phil Crawley »

chef de chambre wrote:But an Elizabethan boot would differ a bit, would it not? That boot looks like second quarter of the 17th century, to my eye. Great for 30 years war, or ECW, but not so right for the 1560's-80's
True- that the C17th version. Round the toe and get the stacked leather heel and a slimmer fit and they are ideal for C16th riding (it's just that she doesn't have the image of my boots on her site any more).
"I am going to be killed responsibly on horseback, as a compliment to the cavalry."
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

What about a pre-Tudor reiver?

Christopher
War kittens?!!!

"Born to lose. Live to win."

Historical Interpreter- Jamestown Settlement Museum
Master's Candidate, East Carolina University
Graduate of The College of William & Mary in Virginia
Phil Crawley

Post by Phil Crawley »

If you mean a pre-Henry VIIIth type light horseman/jinetti/hobilar/chasing stave/pricker then you'd be looking at something like these-
http://www.revival.us/index.asp?PageAct ... ProdID=127
and dressed somewhat like Alan here- http://www.gaddgedlar.com/15th_century_ ... allery.htm

I can't think of any long boots for C14th or previous so it'd be turnshoes- though I am prepared to be elucidated as that isn't my era of knowledge in the main.
Gavin Kerr

Post by Gavin Kerr »

Thanks for all the great info and sites. but one more quick question what color would these boots be? I assume brown would be the color of choice or would black be fine?
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Brown would be ubiquitous, I should think.

But I think any color found historically would work. Some reivers had castles and full harnesses (for show, they'd get in the way on raiding). So I imagine you'd find all colors depending on the prosperity of the reiver.

But brown and black always work.

Christopher
War kittens?!!!

"Born to lose. Live to win."

Historical Interpreter- Jamestown Settlement Museum
Master's Candidate, East Carolina University
Graduate of The College of William & Mary in Virginia