"Italian Gothic" Armours; WoR Period

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

RenJunkie
Archive Member

"Italian Gothic" Armours; WoR Period

Post by RenJunkie »

Anyone have good pics of extant and repro armours of this sort? Burgundians and English were fond of them, weren't they?

Especially any wth the Italian sallet style rather than barbute.

Thanks,
Christopher
War kittens?!!!

"Born to lose. Live to win."

Historical Interpreter- Jamestown Settlement Museum
Master's Candidate, East Carolina University
Graduate of The College of William & Mary in Virginia
Kaos
Archive Member

Post by Kaos »

You`re referring to Italian export armour in the Western European fashion.

While there were armour production centres in Flanders and the Netherlands, it seems there was a steady supply from Italy catering to the tastes of this region.
The English fashion has close ties with the Western European style, but also has some distinct features of its own.

There are very little extant examples in this style, but there an increasing amount of replica interpretations lately.

I`ve commissioned a harness in this fashion and if all goes well it should be finished at the end of this year. I`ll post images then.

On Gothic Eye you can find a great deal of English brasses in the style you`ve mentioned. It`s a good start.
chef de chambre
Archive Member

Post by chef de chambre »

Lucern, HM11, for an Italian export cuirasse in this fashion. This is the cuirasse I wear, captured from the Burgundian at Grandson. It is simple in it's styling, but the plackart and breatplate join like a German one, and the cuirasse straps together with a waistbelt like a German one.

One should note, standard Italian export armour (just basically replace the armet with a sallet and bevor, but otherwise a Milanese harness), was commonplace as well . T
"
The justice of Trajan" in a series of pieces depicting his life, made in Flanders in 1450ish, shows all the 'knights' in Italian armours, strap together plackart and breastplate, hinged on one side cuirasses, strapping on the other for closure, Italian arms and pauldrons right out of the Madonna della Grazzi suits, etc.
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Sweet. Thanks!

The only thing I get about the Lucern HM11 when I do a web search is the thread about your armour on Fire Stryker, Chef. Aparently, there are no web-based photos of the original pieces. Still, I'm looking for a less Milanese style.

Is the Italian Export in Western Style the one type that is sort of a smoother, not so fluted, resembles German style?

What artworks should I be looking at? Particularly artworks that show guys with full arms of any grade.

Thanks,
Christopher
War kittens?!!!

MattB
Archive Member

Post by MattB »

I'd recommend armsandarmourforum.com lots of hq photographs of what you're after.

Also point you in the direction of this thread. http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... t=#1016289 Jeff Hedgecocks latest harness made for Arne Koets, now complete and in use and looking damn spiffy.

Matt
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

Lucern HM11
Attachments
HM11-back.jpg
HM11-back.jpg (56.72 KiB) Viewed 302 times
HM11-front.jpg
HM11-front.jpg (41.78 KiB) Viewed 625 times
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Thanks, Enrico!

So, are there any examples of a more munitions grade version or at least a model for someone of lower means? How many pieces would the back be for a lower end cuirass? I assume it would still be 2 piece in the front?

Thanks,
Christopher
War kittens?!!!

RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

:bump:

Christopher
War kittens?!!!

Kaos
Archive Member

Post by Kaos »

In this context someone with lower means wouldn't wear full armour, but a padded jack, possibly with spleynts and probably some sort of chapel de fer or another type of cheap helmet.

Someone better off than that would probably wear a brigandine over the jack or over a haubergeon. and so on, and so on. The more money someone had to spend for his protection, the better and more fashionable one could be armed.

So called 'munitions grade' armour is just that. Simple and less refined than the fashionable high end armour and is be less sophisticated by its very nature.
I`m starting to dislike the term `munition grade` more and more, as some people wear the ugliest of ugly machine made/stamped one-size-fits-none armour as historical and then call it munition grade.
If you want cool munition grade armour go to A Plaisance, they make great munition grade simple armour for a real decent price.
Made to measure and while the articulation and form is good, it`s just simple hot forged non polished armour. This fits in my definition of munition grade.
MattB
Archive Member

Post by MattB »

Kaos wrote: So called 'munitions grade' armour is just that. Simple and less refined than the fashionable high end armour and is be less sophisticated by its very nature.
I`m starting to dislike the term `munition grade` more and more, as some people wear the ugliest of ugly machine made/stamped one-size-fits-none armour as historical and then call it munition grade.
If you want cool munition grade armour go to A Plaisance, they make great munition grade simple armour for a real decent price.
Made to measure and while the articulation and form is good, it`s just simple hot forged non polished armour. This fits in my definition of munition grade.
I could do with you by my side when some guy wearing shapeless crap tells me it's munitions, sometimes i feel like giving up :x

Matt