Looking for post viking era Dane info

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

marcus the pale
Archive Member

Looking for post viking era Dane info

Post by marcus the pale »

Been searching around here for info on Denmark, after 1066. In regards to an SCA kit (hard and soft). So far all I have is an osprey book, but I'd like to get a bit better than that (for obvious reasons). German info might be relevant in that time period as well, seeing as how the Danes would have had some influence from their neighbors.
Anyone have any text references? Or know of any archeological information? 12th cent info is where I'm looking, but I'd settle for 13th as well. I'll take what I can get at this point.
I have a feeling though I'll get tossed over to the IWTB section. Thanks.

marcus
"Have you forgotten that it is in the furnace that gold in refined, increasing in value the more it is beaten and fashioned into different shapes?" -Christine de Pizan
Igor of Maguar
Archive Member

Post by Igor of Maguar »

Here is a donor image of a danish magnate ca 1080-1151

http://www.oresundstid.dk/arkiv/arkivbi ... ledeid=506
Clinker
Archive Member

Post by Clinker »

There are a few threads on the AA about the Scandinavian "King's Mirror" manuscript which details the armor to be worn on land and on ship. This would be about 1250AD. The surprise to most is to wear a gambeson OVER the hauberk and breastplate. Probably to make it arrowproof. Kettlehat, linen breeches with attached kneecops (Long Hauberk covers thighs presumably) and greaves finish the outfit.
"Perdicaris alive, or Raisuli dead." The slogan of a confident Western culture.