Pennsic Pics

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Pennsic Pics

Post by UrsusofAnglesey »

My friends:

I thought I would start a new Pennsic pics topic and urge anyone and everyone to post links and pictures here...

...and then provide you with an explanation as to why I will be (unfortunately) late with mine, which many people asked about even before I left Pennsic. :wink:

Many thanks to all of you who were kind enough to express their appreciation and support for my work, and it was a pleasure to meet many new friends.

First the good news: I took lots of pictures. LOTS of pictures. Many more than even I thought. I don't want to give out any numbers, since there could be some duplication, but eventually, I hope to post several thousand of them for your (hopefully) viewing pleasure.

Now the bad news, and unfortunately, there are several parts to this.

The first is that there are so many pictures (more than 10,000), so it will take me a lot of time to browse, select, edit and post them even under the best of circumstances. My pre-Pennsic plans were to post about a day's worth of Pennsic pictures (one gallery for each day, plus a couple of extra galleries for the early days, one for Anglesey and one for Atlantia).

Ideally, I wanted to finish this in two months. That meant for me about 40 hours worth of work a week during that time period. (This is not a complaint. I mostly enjoy this work, but it can be kind of overwhelming at times and I can only work on them so much before burning out and needing a break.)

Secondly, I returned home to find that I am being evicted within thirty days. Believe it or not, I never saw this coming since my housemate has been dealing exclusively with our landlord, and I trusted him. Now it turns out he somehow owes the landlord more than $5,000, so the landlord lost patience and started formal eviction proceedings while I was gone. The landlord is actually a good guy, and from his note to me (the way I found out about this), he is apparently not blaming me, but wants to get us out ASAP. Can't say I blame him, either.

If I'd known about this before I left, I might not have attended Pennsic at all. Now I'm facing a host of problems that I have to deal with immediately, which unluckily for you all means I'm going to have to put these Pennsic photo plans on the back burner.

It's not a total disaster. I have solid government job, a decent income, money in the bank and good credit, so it's more of a huge and unexpected hassle than anything else.

I'm angry at what I thought was a close friend who has apparently been hiding this problem from me for far too long, pissed off at myself for not paying closer attention and being too trusting, and not looking forward to packing everything up, finding a new place and then moving.

Ah, well. Nothing to do but deal with it. Life is sometimes a bitch, and things have been going well for me of late, so I guess the karmic wheel has finally turned.

I apologize for burdening you with my problems, but I felt an explanation was in order, since I know how impatient some of you can be... in a nice way. :lol:

I also apologize for the delay, and I will certainly keep you informed of my progress in getting these pictures done for you all. I have only seen a small portion of them so far myself, after spending most of the day downloading them (since sleeping until noon after coming home after midnight last night). They sure look good so far. I wish I could give you a schedule of when they will be posted, but there's just way too much I need to settle before I can even think about that.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I wanted to get everything out up front. Believe me, no one is more disappointed than I am, and I will do my utmost to settle my own affairs as quickly as possible, then move on to the pictures.

In the meantime, I'm hoping some of the rest of you can take up the slack by posting our own photos and links. I, for one, would love to see them (don't worry - I'll try to browse them from work so as not to interfere with my own efforts :P), and if experience is any judge, there's a few of you out there who agree with me.

Hope everyone had a great time at Pennsic (overall, I certainly did), and I'll be updating this thread as regularly as I can.

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
Christophe de Frisselle
Archive Member

Post by Christophe de Frisselle »

Thanks for informing us, the anxious masses, waiting for your pictures.
You've got bigger things to deal with. I hope they pass quickly and smoothly. Best of luck on finding a good place.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'" - Master Yoda

"You don't become great by trying to become great. You become great by wanting to do something, and doing it so hard that you become great in the process." - Zombie Marie Curie, xkcd
LeeC
Archive Member

Post by LeeC »

Wow,
I'm afraid it sounds like your roommate has some far deeper issues. Sorry you had to get bit by them.
Fulk
Archive Member

Post by Fulk »

Ursus,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I hope you can get past it without too much difficulty. It was great to meet you, I'll tell Robert to stop by your desk and say hi.

I can't wait to see your photos, especially those of the second and third bridge battles!

f
Euric Germanicus
Archive Member

Post by Euric Germanicus »

A friend of ours also took a zillion battle pics. When she gets them online I will let everyone know.
Lucius Euric Germanicus
Squire to Duke Master Achilles
House Serpentius
"You don't lose if you fight with honor. You may not win, but you sure don't lose." - Animal Weretiger
Hedinn
Archive Member

Post by Hedinn »

Dude, take care of your issues before feeding our egos. Maybe we wont even nag you much.... :twisted:

Besides, you'll be getting top it right about the time we have finished with all the other sites. Now we'll get a round two!
I am seeking my dragon.
Tailoress
+1

Post by Tailoress »

Ursus, I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles. I had to make a sudden move a few months back (different but highly urgent circumstances) and I understand your stress. May it all come together as smoothly as possible.

As for the pics, we'll all be here, waiting patiently, and will be appreciative of what you have to offer, no matter when you get around to it. Thanks for all this service and entertainment through the years.

(I think I saw you snap a pic of me out of the corner of my eye at the Battle of the Thirty. That might be my first picture taken by you! If so, I'm honored to make your roll.)

-Tasha
Christophe de Frisselle
Archive Member

Post by Christophe de Frisselle »

Here is a video I found on YouTube of the Lost Boys Battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0sSSidJk88
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'" - Master Yoda

"You don't become great by trying to become great. You become great by wanting to do something, and doing it so hard that you become great in the process." - Zombie Marie Curie, xkcd
olaf haraldson
Archive Member

Post by olaf haraldson »

Christophe de Frisselle wrote:Here is a video I found on YouTube of the Lost Boys Battle.

Yay! That's me right in the beginning!
House Wolfhaven
Excellence in all we do.
Integrity first.
Service to the dream.
Skorri
Archive Member

Post by Skorri »

Let me know if I can help in any way Ursus.

Here is a link to my pics....

http://skorri.smugmug.com/
You have a second chance to make a first impression if you're wearing a good disguise.
D. Sebastian
Archive Member

Post by D. Sebastian »

I finally got to meet and shake Ursus' hand.
That was a good night.

Skorri.
GREAT shots.
Thank you for your art!

Now I can show my mom.
:)
SCA Demo .com
Like it? Link it!

Mattyds .com
(my site)
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Skorri: Pic 231, is our own Brewer.. can he ever NOT look psychotic?
tbeckett
Archive Member

Post by tbeckett »

pic 244.... lol, pure lol
Thomas the Loud
Canton of Bryniau Tywynnog
Kingdom of Ealdormere
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Yes.. that definately calls for a caption.

"Brewer, peacock: Nom nom"
"Other guy : BITCHES!!"
Skorri
Archive Member

Post by Skorri »

And he knows lots of showtunes as well !
You have a second chance to make a first impression if you're wearing a good disguise.
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Skorri wrote:And he knows lots of showtunes as well !
If you can find something Bob _DOESN'T_ know I'll be surprised.
Jonny Deuteronomy
Archive Member

Post by Jonny Deuteronomy »

Christophe de Frisselle wrote:Here is a video I found on YouTube of the Lost Boys Battle.

Lots of Anglesey & friends in there...
It's all just goobdooberous fripdippery now.
Magnus_Jager
Archive Member

Post by Magnus_Jager »

486 on Skorri's is me. Not sure when that was but I look like I have been through a grinder.
D. Sebastian
Archive Member

Post by D. Sebastian »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47368232@N00/

A bunch from Master Liam St Liam.
SCA Demo .com
Like it? Link it!

Mattyds .com
(my site)
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

Moving stuff to Photo bucket so i can post it
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

Got some pics fo the Vannes loaded

Donate to the Officer Down Memorial
http://atoa.us/index_1.htm
http://www.odmp.org/

To buy stuff i sell go to http://www.revival.us
Charlotte J
Girl Genius

Post by Charlotte J »

Murdock wrote:Got some pics fo the Vannes loaded
Murdock,

I was there, but I missed meeting you! I was the lady in the rose colored dress, hanging out in the gallery and wandering about taking pictures.
Do you not know that in the service... one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Greenshield
Archive Member

Post by Greenshield »

Murdock,

Great pics. It was great seeing you and watching the challenges. You guys really take it to the next level with your combat and displays. Thanks for all you guys (and gals) do to make our organization look that much better.

Greenshield+
Axeman
Archive Member

Post by Axeman »

Did anyone get a picture of some guys ( I am one of them) fishing off the side of the 1st bridge during the bridge battle? :lol:
Thanks...

Erich Hundeman

Fortius quo fidelius - Strength through loyalty
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

Charolette I was the exahusted looking guy in the blue Bocksten tunic with the pregnant lady on his arm....also taking pictuers.
james of doncaster
Archive Member

Post by james of doncaster »

Axeman wrote:Did anyone get a picture of some guys ( I am one of them) fishing off the side of the 1st bridge during the bridge battle? :lol:
:lol: i was there, i'm calontir. i heard one of you guys yell "land shark !" and start spearing at the ground on other side of hay bails. lmao
if it isn't armour, or you can't take it to bed, it isn't worth havin'
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

Yall know i get alot of comments on my rig.

I get people asking "Who are your insperations? Who's rig are you chasing?"

My original insperations are well known, as for who i'm chasing now?

Jeff Wasson and Galleron....that's what my Rig wants to be when it grows up. edwards is nice too

more from the Vannes

Larmer
Archive Member

Post by Larmer »

Murdock,

Who is that in the breastplate and fauld with the gold cops? Very nice!
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

Thats Jeff Wason in one of his many fine incarnations.

The gold......is

Well plated at least.

But yeah thats gold.
D. Sebastian
Archive Member

Post by D. Sebastian »

SCA Demo .com
Like it? Link it!

Mattyds .com
(my site)
Melisent
Archive Member

Post by Melisent »

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Post by Christian H. Tobler »

Hi Murdock,

I ended up buying Jeff's spring breastplate w/fauld (the one he's wearing in the photo, I believe) via the Windrose booth. I picked up a set of his spring arms too (which, as you know, I've been on the hunt for).

The cuirass fits like it was custom-made for me!

CHT
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

i so would have bought that curiass

I can't get in it though.

Yall is skinny

That and i can't afford it
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

I need contact info for Master Jeff....
"I am trying to be a great burden to my squires. The inner changes we look for will not take place except under the weight of great burdens."
-Me
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

i think it's wasson artistry or something close to that