My new 15th C. purse, based on Purses in Pieces

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Kaos
Archive Member

My new 15th C. purse, based on Purses in Pieces

Post by Kaos »

Hi everyone, I wanted to share this with you, as I'm the very proud owner of an excellent new handstitched purse, based on the Merode altarpiece tryptich and the research by Olav Goubitz presented in his book 'Purses in Pieces'.

Some of you may remember my pouch, based on this book, of which I posted photo's earlier this year in this topic: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... highlight=

I've commissioned this purse from the same person I bought the purse from, and I'm in love with the results. I've ordered the silver fittings last year from Bractea, and had the purse made to fit them best.
As you can see I've left the flags off, as I'm not quite sure about what I want to have engraved on them yet, so I'll add those later.

Anyway, here are the photos:
Front:

Side:

Backside:

First compartiment:

Second compartiment + pouchlets:

And here's the rest of the kit to go with the purse:
Belt by Lorifactor, dagger by Arma Bohemia.

I've seen a lot of great reconstructions based on Olav's book and I hope this will help inspire other people as those other posts have inspired me.
Cheers!
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

This has to be at least the fourth or fith top notch item you have added to your kit this year.

I have long wanted a good copy of that purse. :mrgreen:

Tom
lorenzo2
Archive Member

Post by lorenzo2 »

I'm sure that will be a great addition to your kit. Have you found that wearing the dagger in the purse as shown in the painting is a secure method of carrying it?
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Really nice. well done.
Dansknecht
Archive Member

Post by Dansknecht »

Absolutely beautiful- excellent job!!!!!
Andrew Young
Archive Member

Post by Andrew Young »

Swanky! Great stuff.
Fine Armour and Reproductions
Living History & Accurately Formed 'SCA' Grade
-----online catalog coming this spring----

http://www.partsandtechnical.com
I. Stewart
Archive Member

Post by I. Stewart »

MAN, that is freakin SWEET! I can not stop looking at it. I want one of those!
Kaos
Archive Member

Post by Kaos »

lorenzo2 wrote:I'm sure that will be a great addition to your kit. Have you found that wearing the dagger in the purse as shown in the painting is a secure method of carrying it?
It really is a great addition! I've always wanted a purse that was correct, as it's one of the most forgotten pieces of equipment in the sense of authenticity. Ever since I've seen Olavs' book I wanted a purse with the right forms and dimensions, and have waited for a long time to had it made. It cot me a pretty penny, but I´m very, very happy with it!

I've used this method for hanging my dagger for quite some time now with my old purse, and it works very well. The dagger is suspended by a point or a thong, and the purse helps keeping it under the right angle.

I even find wearing a dagger like this very annoying without a purse keeping it in place. Now it's always in the right angle, ready to be drawn.
Fire Stryker
Archive Member

Post by Fire Stryker »

Nice job Kaos.
Jenn
-----------------
Culture... is that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, morals, law, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society. ~ E.B. Tylor (1871)
lorenzo2
Archive Member

Post by lorenzo2 »

Suspended by a point? Now I understand. I was wondering how it could be secured by just the puse opening. Thanks.
Rana
Archive Member

Post by Rana »

That's really lovely--great investment of effort and money.
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
At night, the ice weasels come." -

Matt Groening