Godendag!

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Leopold der Wolf
Archive Member

Godendag!

Post by Leopold der Wolf »

“As a fencer, conduct yourself with honesty, courtesy, dignity, and grace at all
times, never engaging in any behaviour that would bring disgrace upon yourself,
your Master, or the sword." -Evangelista
David S
Archive Member

Post by David S »

The name is seriously the best part about this weapon. Even better than the spikey part.
Alessandro da Viterbo

Sir Magnus

A limerick: Muse, sing of that wrath Achillean/So much grief did it cause those Achaeans!/Heroes' souls did it it throw/Down to Hades below/While their flesh was by dogs and birds eaten.
audax
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by audax »

The hell the Flemish town militias were untrained. They may have been peasants and shopkeepers, but they were well trained and drilled.

The Flemings used terrain to their advantage and the French, as usual, used arrogance to their disadvantage.
Martel le Hardi
black for the darkness of the path
red for a fiery passion
white for the blinding illumination
--------------------------------------
Ursus, verily thou rocketh.
Tiberius Nautius
Archive Member

Post by Tiberius Nautius »

I miss Conquest. It was a good show.
"No style whatsoever.... Neither has an anvil." -Count Adhemar "A Knight's Tale"
mordreth
Archive Member

Post by mordreth »

Daimyo Akira likes to point out that the Okinowan peasant weapons were superior to Samurai arms and armor

on any occasion when ten to fifteen Okinowans were attacking each samurai

I would hate like hell to have to block with that monstrosity they were showing
Sweat in the tiltyard, or bleed on the field.
Steve Hick
Archive Member

Post by Steve Hick »

audax wrote:The hell the Flemish town militias were untrained. They may have been peasants and shopkeepers, but they were well trained and drilled.

The Flemings used terrain to their advantage and the French, as usual, used arrogance to their disadvantage.
Funny about this, we have in hand, right now, better evidence for the training of various kinds of militia and town guards, and evidence for fencing societies from Belgium than anywhere else. Some of the latter still exist, although addressing modern weapons. Matt Galas of Mons, Belgium has been researching this.

Steve
Boskaljon

Post by Boskaljon »

Proberbly completely wrong what they say abouth the name.

Goden proberbly comes from something like groot wich means, great, big or from goed, wich means good. And dag from the word now known as dagger.

Wich means, big dagger.

The dutch wikepedia about the weapon tells that the flamish called it a 'gepinde staf' (pinned staff).
I know my English sucks, excuses for that
Kaos
Archive Member

Post by Kaos »

Hi Bart,

That's indeed the meaning of the seperate words, however it's also quite likely that it also was a pun back then.

This is a more likely reconstruction of a 'Goedendag' or 'Gepinde Stave', unlike the unspeakable horror from the clip:

Actual find:

And some more graphical sources:
http://www.warfare.it/storie/goedendac.html

And for some more fun for the non dutch speaking folks around here: most people from the actual places where the term 'goedendag' is used on a daily basis (albeit in a less martial context) think the weapon 'Goedendag' implies a flail.

At every weapons demo we do, there´s always a smartypants heckler who's only hobby is probably playing online roleplaying games all day and who blurts the names of the weapons before *we* get to it. When that happens, I just bide my time until the subject 'de Goedendag' comes up... Most of the time they get it wrong! Lovely.. :twisted:
Johann Lederer
Archive Member

Post by Johann Lederer »

Tiberius Nautius wrote:I miss Conquest. It was a good show.
If you have access to History International, it is still on occasionally, VERY late night.

I would love to own the series on DVD.
A PROUD member of the Ye Olde Mead Hovel
Adriano
Archive Member

Post by Adriano »

Tiberius Nautius wrote:I miss Conquest. It was a good show.
I dunno; some shows were really good, but in others, Peter Woodward was responsible for spreading disinformation. Bet it was a lot of fun to work on the show, though.

I've got a 5-foot piece of rattan that would make a dandy godendag.