I'm quitting armouring as a business.

For trading/Selling/and posting items that you need very badly.
Mad Matt
Archive Member

I'm quitting armouring as a business.

Post by Mad Matt »

As many of you know I have a severe mental illness. I started armouring full time because I would be able to control stress levels and it meant I could earn my own living. Things have reached the point where I need to go on disability. This is a pre-emptive strike before things get too bad.

I'm no longer taking any new orders. Have to get my webmaster to take the shopping cart down and put that update on the site still.

I will be completing all of my current orders as quickly as possible. I won't have the ability to destress and relax untill they're all done. I will not be doing stock stuff while I'm working on them or getting a part time job or anything like that. My family is going to be helping me with the orders doing thigns like deburring and whatever else I can find for them to do that takes little to no skill.

I'm behind schedule and can't seem to get caught up. I'm extremely tired all the time because of the meds I'm on.

I have funds for all materials and shipping for everything. I don't have money for normal bills but will be borrowing that from my parrents untill I'm on disability.

Unfortunately I'm a little behind on answering e-mails. It stresses me out because I'm more upset about being late then any of the customers are. I'll get all of them caught up today and will try and keep caught up on them.

After all orders are completed I will most likely still make armour but it will be what I want when I want and will just sell stuff I've already made and any income that comes from that will be extra cash and not for any bills.

I am still working and things are going out. I will absolutely get everything finished. I won't be taking time off until everything is done and I'll be putting as much energy as I can find into getting everything done as soon as possible.

I would consider selling the business once everything is cleared but it would have to be a really good offer.

Will try to post here once a week with a rough update on how things are progressing but my priority is spending time in the shop getting things made and out the door. I will not slap things together just to get them out. Quality will be the same.

Questions or comments here are fine. I'll check and answer here.
The budding mid 14th century German Transitional guy.
MadMatt'sArmory.com
Hrolfr
Archive Member

Post by Hrolfr »

Sorry to hear this, Matt.

Hoping you are able to feel better and still hang out here.
Thomas Gallowglass said:
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'.
horsefriend
Archive Member

Post by horsefriend »

Sorry to hear it! One less person for me to point folks toward if I can't help them or they want a second option : <

'Course, I never found self employment as a way to avoid stress; it's just a different set of stressors, one I find preferable.

Good luck on the wrap and I hope when things are settled you can regain the zenlike joy of armouring.

alail/scott
Baron Alail Horsefriend, OL, KSCA, OP, etc

Scott McCartney
H.A. Enterprises
Horsefriendarmoury.com
875 20th St. NE
Salem, Or.97301
Vogeljager
Archive Member

Post by Vogeljager »

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope your health improves soon.
Violen
Archive Member

Post by Violen »

Im sorry to hear this man.

I hope things improve for you soon. :)
D. Sebastian
Archive Member

Post by D. Sebastian »

Good for you for doing what you need to do for you AND doing right for your customers.

I wish you health and serenity Matt.
SCA Demo .com
Like it? Link it!

Mattyds .com
(my site)
whonew
Archive Member

what can we do to help?

Post by whonew »

PM'ed ya
"let your soul not grow old"
Cet
Archive Member

Post by Cet »

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry to hear you have to call it quits. I hope you will continue to do armor at a pace that works for you just for your own enjoyment. You keep getting better and better and it's always a pleasure to see new pieces from you.

You are an exemplar of responsible business practice for folks who deal with the health issues you have.

Good luck in the future
Klaus the Red
Archive Member

Post by Klaus the Red »

Brother, stay true to your self, your health and your art. You will not cease to be a craftsman just because you don't invite the world to bang on your door any more to demand results. You have achieved success and renown in the face of difficult circumstances, and you will always have that to your credit if you never sell another piece.

Having said that, I look forward to having my demigauntlets done before you cash in your chips. :) Best of luck.

Klaus
Charles Alexander
Archive Member

Post by Charles Alexander »

Matt,

Sorry to hear that. You've been one of the most helpful and level headed guys around here and your work has been good.

Hope your decision brings you peace and contentment.

Well said Klaus.
My battlecry is "Spoon!"

"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends."
- Peter S. Beagle
Thigvald
Archive Member

Post by Thigvald »

Matt,

I'm terribly sorry to hear that. I looked forward to doing a transaction with you once my own situation got worked thru. Having a recent family medical issue of my own, you were very gracious and refunded my money instantly. This was profoundly appreciated and a true display of your honor and character.

I wish you and your family the best.
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

What they all said, Matt.

If you get out of the biz, it's a loss for all of us.

Effingham
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
Andrew Young
Archive Member

Post by Andrew Young »

Matt, dude my stomache dropped out when I read that.

You have the makings of an excellant historical-form armourer and are showing very good signs of progress towards those ends.

Why not try and scale back, and concentrate on the more historical stuff?

Or just scale down to a level you can handle.
Fine Armour and Reproductions
Living History & Accurately Formed 'SCA' Grade
-----online catalog coming this spring----

http://www.partsandtechnical.com
Mad Matt
Archive Member

Post by Mad Matt »

Thigvald was your order the body bracelet? If so I've still got it and it's yours when you've got the cash.

I'm still going to be on the archive when I'm done. Probably a lot more and I'll have more time to post helpfull stuff.

I'll still be making armour but I'll finally be able to approach it as an artist (which is what I was before being an armourer) instead of a craftsman creating and developing things in order to make a profit. None of the things currently on my website are art.

I'll probably keep the site up and have a wish list people can post to.

Cet I've gotta do an inventory and check my order list but I'm going to be ordering some helmet halves and cops from you this week.

Being self employed gave me an extra 2 years of ability to earn a living as I was uncapable of having a normal job before I started doing this full time. The main reason is it gave me the ability to work a long day on a good day and not work on a bad day.

My health will not improve unless there are new medical breakthroughs. Schitzophrenia is a genetic disease which worsens over time. It is treatable but not curable.

Once things have been cleared there may be a few things I keep in stock. Shield bosses are likely but I need to buy a new pnumatic hydraulic jack since mine just blew up yesterday. But things that are quick like gorgets will likely be kept in stock.

May do a video instruction set including patterns and possibly pre-cut pieces for a full starter suit. Who knows what I'll get up to.

Of course none of that is going to happen untill all of the current orders are cleared.

Thanks for all the kind words.
MadMatt'sArmory.com
Mad Matt
Archive Member

Post by Mad Matt »

Andrew I'll likely be working towards those forms. But everything will probably just happen to fit me and might not get sold.

My income being used to cover any bills and have any need to be steady or sustained needs to be completely removed from the equation or I will push myself too hard.

Armouring for fun instead of profit.
MadMatt'sArmory.com
Wolf
Archive Member

Post by Wolf »

sorry to hear this Matt. don't give up the fight and don't cause your self any unneeded stress. the AAer's have always been here for you. i look forward to anything you've got coming out that you "want" to make for fun. its been a great ride watching your armouring progress. you've really gained stride over the past year and some of your new pieces are amazing. get well, get caught up and jsut have fun with life. :)
Halberds
Archive Member

Post by Halberds »

God speed our friend of the North.

Their was never any way for me to go up there and pound metal with you.

Take care of your self.

Hal
Happy Metal Pounding
Andrew Young
Archive Member

Post by Andrew Young »

I will also pray for you Matt. However you wish to define ""God"", I do believe our prayers and good vibes are "heard." I consider you one of my many e-friends and believe youll pull through this.

We have a family member with a similar illness and Ive seen its consequences its wrought on life, business and relationships.

Have faith brother!!

Drew
Fine Armour and Reproductions
Living History & Accurately Formed 'SCA' Grade
-----online catalog coming this spring----

http://www.partsandtechnical.com
Bob H
Archive Member

Post by Bob H »

... and I just emailed you last night with a commission. I sure hope that mine wasn't the final straw.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems, but I'm glad to hear that you're taking the right steps toward feeling better. I hope the disability process in Canada is better and faster than the one here in the U.S. and you start getting your benefits soon. I've been down this road a couple of times myself with migraines, and getting the pressure off may be the best possible medicine.
Token Bastard
Archive Member

Post by Token Bastard »

Damn, man. I was hoping I was someone who'd throw enough money at you to keep you around and armouring us. Heh.

As said, you gotta do what's good for you. No sense continuing something when you're not getting the enjoyment or keeping your health. If anything, though, I can't wait to see some of the artwork you do when you feel the time is right. You've got it in you, and you'll get through all the crap and come out on top.

Now I just hope I'm not too far down the list! You're my hope for creating the kit I've been dreaming of creating all these years!

Good luck to you, Matt,

-Ed
Edric "Mr." the Bastard
Argent Company, Grunt
Pitbull Armory
Archive Member

Hi Matt

Post by Pitbull Armory »

Hi there Matt, I am sorry to hear that times are tuff. You said something that I relate to exactly. Thats feeling like you can never catch up, running a race you cant win. I feel that way sometimes too, Iike I cant even take a weekend off without feeling guilty. Truth is freind theres more people out there that want armor than can make armor, and you will never catch up. Thats a good thing I think and a sign your business is doing ok. im just telling you how I have to think of it sometimes so I can build my armor stress free and without unneeded haste. Let me know if theres anything I can do to help out at all. Advertise? Bang a few gorgets out for you? what? Your not mentally Ill Matt, Just stressed out.

Take good care m8

Pitbull
Hi, Please visit https://www.facebook.com/PITBULL-ARMORY-264094743168/ if you get time. Or contact me at leiderandy@yahoo.com if you have any questions. Take care, Andy @ Pitbull Armory
Sean Powell
Archive Member

Post by Sean Powell »

Sigh. I'm gonna miss you as a producer. You had some of the best business practices out there combined with ome of the best shape.

I do hope you stay around as an artist. I'd like to say 'get well soon' but I understand the medical issues so be as well as you can as long as you can. You always have family and friends you can count on.

Sean
Murcadh
Archive Member

Post by Murcadh »

As said before, have faith. Hopefully workng as a pure artist on something you love will be benifitial (more so that commision based work).

I pray it all works out for you.
freiman the minstrel
Archive Member

Post by freiman the minstrel »

Matt,

Do what you need to do.

When I was playing music for a living, music became stressful, and eventually, it became a nightmare.

My suggestion is to not concentrate on getting the orders out as fast as you can, but rather slow down a bit, and try to enjoy it.

You love armoring. My guess is you don't love the armor business.

But, your customers love you, and they will be very glad to receive your excellent works at the great prices you charge. If waiting a week means that they don't have to receive a refund or a wombat issue, they will be PLENTY happy.

So, take as long on each piece as it takes, and try not to leave the business with a stressed out taste in your mouth. Unless the disability process wont start until you finish all your orders, concentrate on just having fun and making the curves sing.

Actually, unless circumstances have completely killed you Mojo, I expect that your customers will be VERY happy to have you slow down, and just give each piece the time it takes. They know, as I do, that they will get better art that way.

Also, for the record, you are one of the only persons in my card file that has never had a negative review.

Ever.

That's rare.

And they way you are making your curtain call speaks well of you as well.

freiman the minstrel
Act Your Rage
Eadrich
Archive Member

Post by Eadrich »

I've ordered from you a few times and the product has always been great. You have, in my experience always been good about communication and more than fair on pricing. Do what you need to. You have already done right by many folks here. I wish you well.
Mad Matt
Archive Member

Post by Mad Matt »

Pitbull thanks for the offer gorgets are not a problem I can make 7 of them an hour and don't have many to do. I'm also really bad at receiving help. I help other people not the other way around.

I am mentally ill though. Schitzoaffective with bipolar. The program I'm in I get resident psychaitrists a new one every 6 months and every single one is amazed to find out I'm supporting myself.

Frieman the sooner it's done the sooner I can relax. I absolutely will not sacrifice quality for speed though.

I do love the armour business. If I wasn't sick I would be able to make six figures. I'm just not well enough to support myself anymore.

Disability will take a long time to get. Took a friend of mine 5 months. I can still work while on it they just deduct half what I make.

My first armour project when I'm done is going to be a black and brass suit with all the right curves in all the right places. Going to be made from 1050 too. Gonna make it to fit me. Then after halloween will probably put a price tag of 15-20K on it and not care if it sells or not.

With any luck I'll make it to pennsic this year.
MadMatt'sArmory.com
adamstjohn
Archive Member

Post by adamstjohn »

Matt,

just wanted to say I'm a fan.

You're a great armourer, an honourable businessman and - I think - a real gent.

All the best to you!
/adam lawrence /athestan of wortham /sca drachenwald /thebusinesscomedian.com
"REGINA NOS VIDET"
"What we do is not a sporting event, but a celebration of prowess, art, and culture": after Jehan de Pelham
freiman the minstrel
Archive Member

Post by freiman the minstrel »

Mad Matt wrote: With any luck I'll make it to pennsic this year.
Well, then please come by my camp this time and drink my beer. I am out in the middle of nowhere (e-29). If that doesn't work out, I will come to you.

I am glad that you are making this step, if you think that its' the right one for you. I certainly wont know who to recommend anymore in certain circumstances.

But if this is the right thing to do, do it, and don't regret it.

And don't forget that there are people in the world that care about you.

We're here.

f
Act Your Rage
Amanda M
Archive Member

Post by Amanda M »

I'm glad to hear you're going to be taking care of yourself better but bummed because I was going to order a helmet later this year. :P It's good though that you're getting out before you cause yourself too much distress if it's too much to deal with.
SCA - Sigrith inn Danske
Isabella E (old name)

https://www.facebook.com/windyvalleyfinearts
Wilhelm zu Eltz-Kempenich
Archive Member

Post by Wilhelm zu Eltz-Kempenich »

I'm truly very sorry to hear about this because I love your work and had plans to purchase from you in the future. However, we've been in communication about your CoP kit and I was wondering if you'd still be willing or able to do that for me. I am very understanding if you do not feel up to it, but I was very excited about getting that. You can PM me or e-mail me as you like.

Peace and best wishes.

Keith
Ceawlin Alreding
Archive Member

Post by Ceawlin Alreding »

As they say 'round here, Matt:

+Tasha

When you get to the point where you are selling in-stock, and if I or my guys needs something "budding 14th cent"- we'll be there.
This is a full-contact martial sport where twenty-year-old athletes can routinely get thrashed by fifty-year-olds with a gut and no knees
Bob H
Archive Member

Post by Bob H »

Mad Matt wrote:I am mentally ill though. Schitzoaffective with bipolar. The program I'm in I get resident psychaitrists a new one every 6 months and every single one is amazed to find out I'm supporting myself.
I may have the talent for a medical career after all, because I've been amazed by that for a long time. Amazed ... and encouraged. Quite a few of us tilt at windmills, but you managed to knock the damned thing over!

I've never found the idea of Pennsic all that appealing, and if I ever do go it will chiefly be to meet in person a fairly short list of folks. You're on that list, and have been for a long time. :wink:
Johann Lederer
Archive Member

Post by Johann Lederer »

I will pray for you too Matt.

You are a good guy and everyone I sent to you and everything I bought was top notch and well made. I will miss you as a supplier.

I wish for you happiness and health.

Take care of yourself and I hope to meet you at Pennsic this year, if you are able to attend...
A PROUD member of the Ye Olde Mead Hovel
Blackoak
Archive Member

Post by Blackoak »

Matt, thanks for coming out and sharing this with us. You are a model for how a lot of guys need to run their businesses.

I hope after you are caught up that you can use your talent to help calm your mind and find as much peace as you can.

Good luck to you.

Uric
The monkey must come out!
Lord O'Quinn
Archive Member

Post by Lord O'Quinn »

Matt,

You have been one of the most sincere and helpful guys I have ever met in the business. I know where your coming from, I pray all goes well and cant wait to see what you can do stress free.

Good luck with anything you decide :)

O'Quinn
Chivalry is not a weekend hobby, it is a way of life

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordoquinn/