Dumbest armouring injury

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Louis de Leon
Thinking of toast

Dumbest armouring injury

Post by Louis de Leon »

Every time the topic comes up it's always, "What's the worst/most traumatic/most horrible armouring injury you've ever had?"

So...what's the dumbest one you've ever had?

I'm asking, because I've just had my first really stupid one. (Other than using a dremel on a rivit and then assuming the other side wasn't hot)

I was using a bench grinder to remove a fair bit of aluminum from something I'm working on. Grinding really heavy, and pencil lead sized bits of alum are flying everywhere.

And a red hot one flies off the wheel, and into my mouth and lands just under the tip of my tongue and sticks to it. Arrrrgh!

------------------
All energy flows according to the whims of the great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him.
white mountain armoury
Archive Member

Post by white mountain armoury »

i was test fitting a helm, making sure the grill had decent clearance, grill was freshly welded and i burnt my head putting it on, just because its not red does not mean its not hot
Kevin the Hound
Archive Member

Post by Kevin the Hound »

Not me personally, but I know of an armourer who once drilled through his scrotum and into his abdominal cavity. He was looking sickly at an SCA meeting THE NEXT DAY and went to the hospital from there.

Worst I ever did was hit myself in the back of the head with a ball peen hammer when it slipped in my hand while I was tired. D'oh!

Kevin the Hound

The pointy end goes into the other guy (Not your scrotum!)

[This message has been edited by Kevin the Hound (edited 12-09-2003).]
Wyrm
Archive Member

Post by Wyrm »

youch!

worst for me would be grinding out a springsteel sword blade then moving the wooden horse it was resting on. It slipped off the horse and onto my left arm. I still have the scorch mark several months later. Damn hot it was.
krnkshft
Archive Member

Post by krnkshft »

I was dishing a breastplate with a rubber mallet. If you have ever tryed, for fun, to hit your dishing stump with a rubber mallet and try to make it bounce the same angle you hit it, you'll know what I mean. So without warning the mallet kicked back wright on my nose. It started bleeding like hell for about 15 mins. What is sarcastic about this is the little universal sticker they stick on tools that say "always use ear, face and body protection" even on a mesuring tape.Well their was one like this on my rubber mallet.lol

------------------
If You Run You'll Only Die Tired...
byzantinefire

Post by byzantinefire »

Drilling out holes for chain maille attachment in my lames and plates, and I managed to get a piece free of the vise. Said lame spun around madly as the drill for a few seconds while the drill was spinning down to a stop, and it sliced open my finger. Lots of blood. Not a major injury, but still really stupid.

[edited to change spelling mistake, byzantinefire]

[This message has been edited by byzantinefire (edited 12-10-2003).]
Cedric
Archive Member

Post by Cedric »

Grinding on a sword blank with a 7" disc grinder... released the On switch and bent down to look at my work. When I did that, I rested the (still spinning) grinder against the side of my knee. Luckily the damage was mainly cosmetic, could have been much worse.
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

i picked up a hot piece with one hand.

To get it to quit brning that hand i grabbed it with the other, brning both.

DOH!

Dmbest i've ever heard of was a bddy that was drilling holes to strap the rivits in his helm, with it on his head.

he realized what he was doing when the metal started to get hot next to his ear. Other wise it could have been bad.
Shade
Archive Member

Post by Shade »

Ever tried to catch things falling down that you better should not catch?

A sharpened ballock knife for example...
Kenwrec Wulfe
Archive Member

Post by Kenwrec Wulfe »

I have not had one yet personally (but since I havce stated that, next time I am in the shop, it will happen!) but someone that I work with had a good one, rather funny as well. I was edging (with a nice electric sander) pieces for our Gulf Wars stock and had a good dozen or so done. I had just set down the latest one, which was rather hot. Said person walked up as I was putting it down and picked it right back up....

------------------
"It is not the oath that gives me faith in the man, but the man that gives me faith in the oath."
With Honor,
Kenwrec Wulfe
"Crouching Squire, Hidden Flagon....of Mead!"
Squire to Sir Galen of Bristol
The Shire of Ravenslake, Middle Kingdom
Lienhart Fischer
Archive Member

Post by Lienhart Fischer »

I knocked my small 4 pound riviting anvil off my bench, it hit a peice of scrap metal that then proceded to fly up defing all natural laws and stab me in the forhead. i'll have the scar for ever.
-T
Pedro Ramirez
Archive Member

Post by Pedro Ramirez »

I just did this a few days ago;
I had a hammer in my right hand and was going to put it away. Grabbed it with the left hand and suddenly the right hand did'nt want to let go (I know this sounds wierd but it's the only way I can explain it) so the left hand pulls harder and twists my ring finger almost 90% out of true. Now the second knuckle (the one past the big knuckle) is about twice it's normal size and it hurts like hell to flex it.
Dumb, dumb, dumb I tell you!
Dan Davis
Archive Member

Post by Dan Davis »

Ok, not a personal experience but I saw it in my shop with my own two eyes:

Guy puts a helm up to one of my 5-horsepower buffers, then manipulates it into an acute angle to the wheel. Sure enough the wheel grabs the helm and shoots it directly into the poor fellow's balls.

Dumb guy hits the floor, groans for a few minutes, gets up and does the same damned thing. With the exact same results.

After I stopped my hysterical laughter I took the helm away and polished it myself.

------------------
Dan Davis
dan.davis@wildwolfforge.com
http://www.wildwolfforge.com
Guillaume2
Archive Member

Post by Guillaume2 »

MOUAHHAHAHHAHAHA you guy are funny,espacially the helm in the nuts;P

When i was using an angle grinder next to francois who was also using one, it did catch my pants and it was pulling pretty hard in my leg direction so my hand were occuped, so francois did unplug the cable but it was still turning....we realized later that the two cable were doing a X on the floor...duh
jim
Archive Member

Post by jim »

Not armour related but it definatly fits the subject. I knew this guy once who was building a deck at his house one weekend, he had quite a few too many drinks and sawed through two fingers while cutting a 2x6, WITH A HAND SAW. Talk about stupid human tricks.
Urban
Archive Member

Post by Urban »

Two of my stupider moments:
#1 I was using a drill press to drill holes in the plastic plates for my friends CoP. His mom comes into the shop to see if we're still alive, (me, my friend and I plus power tools always scares her) She slammed the door when she came in which startled me and I drilled into my finger. Lots of blood on my part and lots of screaming on her part. Oh and on that same day my friend decided not to wear gloves while using the angle grinder and grinded(ground?) one of his knuckles to the bone.
#2 We were trying to convert a barbecue into a makeshift forge one boring day. I was pounding a little piece of metal into a bracelet for his sister. I went to put it back into the fire to heat it back up, and unbeknownst to me, hot metal doesn't cool down when it goes dark. I had to pry the metal of my fingertips. Two fingers don't have much in the way of finger prints anymore.
~Folcric
ArtemisGreen
Archive Member

Post by ArtemisGreen »

Drilling rivet holes in a curved finger lame is not something you should do without pliers. I oiled it up (yes, i pre-punched it) and started drilling. I was holding it with my index finger and thumb over my Ibeam. Upon starting, the drill kicked really hard and slid down the left side of the lame and right into my index finder. It went about half way in and didn't fully heal for about a month or more. I think there's still some steel shavings in there.

One question. Just how did this fellow drill into his man-sack? What kind of weird position was he in to make that one happen?

[This message has been edited by ArtemisGreen (edited 12-10-2003).]
Rainald
Archive Member

Post by Rainald »

Drilled a hole in my foot, had welding slag drop into my shoe, had a hot bit from a angle grinder landed in my ear, sparks off the bench grinder started my hair smoldering.

So far no explosions Image
Kevin the Hound
Archive Member

Post by Kevin the Hound »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ArtemisGreen:
<B>
One question. Just how did this fellow drill into his man-sack? What kind of weird position was he in to make that one happen?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I heard, he was bracing a piece of armor in his lap and drilling some hole in it. You know, clearance between the the legs. Well, my guess is it was shifting around and he braced it more firmly and well...ow!

He is an Archiver whose name I have been avoiding mentioning, 'cuz he might hurt me. ;-)

Kevin the Hound
Josh W
Archive Member

Post by Josh W »

I drilled through my hand while making a culet. I saw my own bones. It was creepy.

My favorite armour-related injury story involves Master Glendour. I'm sure you've all heard it before...

[This message has been edited by Joaquin (edited 12-10-2003).]
Last edited by Josh W on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HugoFuchs
Archive Member

Post by HugoFuchs »

Most of mine have been thermal related, though the worst one was spilling about 8 oz. of liquid tin on my foot with only a sock on it. Image Then there was the time I sliced open my hand by not taking the edge off the metal after cutting it out. I also almost wrapped my finger into a coil of maille. Image
Kenwrec Wulfe
Archive Member

Post by Kenwrec Wulfe »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kevin the Hound:
<B> From what I heard, he was bracing a piece of armor in his lap and drilling some hole in it. You know, clearance between the the legs. Well, my guess is it was shifting around and he braced it more firmly and well...ow!

He is an Archiver whose name I have been avoiding mentioning, 'cuz he might hurt me. ;-)

Kevin the Hound</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is pretty much the story I heard as well. Of course, I have heard a few others about the same individual, but I will refrain from telling them....for now. Maybe he will post one himself... (hint hint)

*cuth I cant thpell...*

------------------
"It is not the oath that gives me faith in the man, but the man that gives me faith in the oath."
With Honor,
Kenwrec Wulfe
"Crouching Squire, Hidden Flagon....of Mead!"
Squire to Sir Galen of Bristol
The Shire of Ravenslake, Middle Kingdom

[This message has been edited by Wulfe (edited 12-11-2003).]
brother_fredrik
Archive Member

Post by brother_fredrik »

New warning for drills: Warning! Inserting drill into scrotum can be hazardous to your sex life!

------------------
"Do or do not. There is no try."
Halberds
Archive Member

Post by Halberds »

Man! that took balls....
Red Dragon
Archive Member

Post by Red Dragon »

I do not think I will be in the running for stupidest injury.

Grabbed a few hot things when I should not have.

Poked myself in the belly with a hot welding rod is probably my stupidest.

------------------
Conor
Red Dragon Armoury
I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
Otto
ottO

Post by Otto »

Y'all are gonna kill yourselves... Image I worry about you folks.

I've done the armouring thing for something like 20 years now and the worst I have to show for it is maybe an occasional metal sliver or slight scrape. 'course, I wear gloves and a long work apron at all times.

You guys worry me... 'specially that guy with the drill and the punctured man-parts... be safe! Image
Pedro Ramirez
Archive Member

Post by Pedro Ramirez »

I was the Blacksmith for a local historical event in Winnipeg (the festival du voyageur) and one of the 'helper' (they send in volunteers and say "this guy will be helping you today" at which point I groan and wonder what I did to deserve this.
Anyway this dweebus heats a fairly large chunk of square stock in the forge and tries to twist it in the vise. It wasn't hot enough so he decides it's time to put it back in the fire for a bit. To do so he opens the vice with one hand and steadys the still hot piece with the other. No glove. We saw smoke.
Needless to say we did'nt have any 'helpers' for a while once word of his injury spread.
Thomas H
Archive Member

Post by Thomas H »

i nearly burnt my workshed down. the piece i was welding was set on a portable workbench. well anyway i burnt through the piece by accident and set my workbench alight. trust me those things can burn like hell.it was an old model so probably didnt conform to any specs.

------------------
SOON TO OPEN.
HAYMAN ARMOURY.
just knives for now but just wait. e-mail me at thomas_hayman@hotmail.com for more information.
theodrik
Archive Member

Post by theodrik »

Wrapped my finger into a coil of mail I was winding with a power drill while demonstraiting mail making. I explaned that you should wear gloves, put them on, had the spool of wire snag the cuff of the glove and in my finger went again. Then, sans the gloves, cut a coil loose and had it whip cut the same finger. Bled all over the place. I felt like such a dummy. Then there was the time I took a hammer out of the tub (I have these tubs to keep they tools organized.) The now poor balanced tub pitch off the sheft onto the work bench, setting off a rube goldburg effect, armor bits, tools, baby food jars of screws, cups of bolts and rivits launching and cascading to the floor, all while I tried to the the waterfall of hammers from landing on my mocassined feet.
My wife wanted to know if I was enjoying myself out there....

------------------
Sir Theodrik of Skane,
West, Mists, Blackwood Company
'Lude Fortier, Lude Juste, Nemini Damnum!'
Red Simon
Archive Member

Post by Red Simon »

I haven't done anything all that dramatic. Yet. Once when I was young and stupid, I was drilling holes in pieces of aluminium meant for some splinted kit. After I finished drilling what felt like the thousandth hole, I pulled the drill out and released the trigger. Then I rested it on my jeans-covered thigh, while it was still spinning.

The bit managed to curl a lot of fabric around it and it was quite hot for a few moments before I managed to extracate it. I think I still have the jeans somewhere, the drill left a really cool-looking pattern on them. Luckily, no realy injury resulted from it. Maybe next time. Image

Marc.

Post by Guest »

Ah, black heat is a source of constant amusement in the forge. I always tell folks: “When in doubt, spit. If it sizzles and steams, DON’T PICK IT UP WITH YOUR HANDS!â€
jim
Archive Member

Post by jim »

Earlier in this post someone made a referance to grinding aluminum on a bench grinder, If you use your grinder for this be very careful your wheel does not load up with powdered aluminum. You have been warned, I have seen grinding wheels EXPLODE when they get loaded with soft metals.
bkillian
Archive Member

Post by bkillian »

Well The worst I ever did was to crush my left forfinger under a 7 ton arbor press converted to a dishing hammer.The silliest thing I ever did was to sunburn my junk with my arc welder. My Knight And I were welding up some small doodads for Pensic. I was sitting astride a bench with the pieces sitting on a metal plate on the end of the bench.My Knight would hold on one of the peices with a pair of pliers and I would zap it. After about two hours of this We finnished And I stood up. My berries felt raw and chaffed. Another hour later I Was IN agony. Jeans and jockeys do not make efective radiation shielding.
I have had a hot spark fly around my saftey glasses and burn my cornea. Not to mention all the bumps bruises and contusions You get around a shop.
Thomas H
Archive Member

Post by Thomas H »

not armouring but still and injury. i JUST branded my little finger with a soldering iron. it's about an inch long and very red.

------------------
SOON TO OPEN.
HAYMAN ARMOURY.
just knives for now but just wait. e-mail me at thomas_hayman@hotmail.com for more information.
Hugo de Stonham
Archive Member

Post by Hugo de Stonham »

Lets see... I let my wife pick up a 4 pound mini slege hammer and she promply drops it on my toes.

Grendal.
-----------
The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumtion that you know more than your enemy.