Making an edgeless shield- Tutorial

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Making an edgeless shield- Tutorial

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

Yes, another of my famous tutorials! Since I don't make shields for people anymore (all standing orders are finished and awaiting detail work and packing) I figured I would just tell everyone how I do it after MANY, MANY years of messing with it.

There are essentially three ways to do it. The first doesn't involve any of the steps below, because the best way to do it is to not coat the shield yourself, but to take your shield blank to a company that offers spray-on bedliner for trucks. I used LINE-X for some of mine and if they put at least two layers of LINE-X on the edges of the shield it will be very, very tough.

http://www.linex.com/

DO NOT try any of the paint-it-on-yourself bedliner products because they suck balls. One local guy had a pro-sprayed LINE-X shield that he used every week for three years before it finally started to split. Above all, START WITH THE BEST QUALITY WOODEN SHIELD BLANK YOU CAN POSSIBLY GET. make sure that the shield blank is very dry before you take it in. Also, do not forget to round of the edges of your wooden blank with a file before you have it sprayed.

When you take your prepared wooden shield blank to the bedliner company, tell them you want the smoothest finish possible. The further they hold the sprayer away from the shield the more bumpy the finish will be. When you get the shield back you may have to do some sanding on the front surface to get it smooth before you coat it with BONDING PRIMER, but can be done.

Make sure you wear breathing apparatus of some type when sanding the LINE-X.

This is the easiest way of making a edgeless shield.

Now onto the other ways.
"I am trying to be a great burden to my squires. The inner changes we look for will not take place except under the weight of great burdens."
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Re: Making an edgeless shield- Tutorial

Get the best quality wooden shield blank that you can aquire. Order it as a rectangular scutum so you will have more options about shapes. The one pictured here is a 22x34 blank.

It MUST be 1/2" thick at least. These edgeless shields are not for the weak-armed or people who want a shield that weighs the same as a aluminum pie pan. There are tactical advantages of using a heavier shield, and if you want to know what they are I will tell you.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 001.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 001.JPG (51.72 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
"I am trying to be a great burden to my squires. The inner changes we look for will not take place except under the weight of great burdens."
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

I don't like a deep curve.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 002.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 002.JPG (57.95 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

This one is made from two layers of birch.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 003.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 003.JPG (62.75 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Now get out your heavy canvas drop cloth.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 004.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 004.JPG (54.24 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Get out your bucket of Elmer's Glue-All. Make sure that you pour about 1/4" of water on top of the glue every now and then to keep it from drying out.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 005.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 005.JPG (49.35 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

The first few shields I made were created from very bad shield blanks that I made myself from pine, and I tried to coat them with fiberglass resin. They were not strong enough.

Now, get out your box of 1 1/2" chip brushes.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 006.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 006.JPG (50.66 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Trace the shape of the shield onto your wooden blank.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 007.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 007.JPG (42.48 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Cover your shield with canvas, using the first coat of glue on the face of your shield. The piece of canvas should be the same general shape as the shield itself. Avoid getting glue on the edge of your shield. After sitting the canvas gingerly on the glue-coated face of the shield, take your brush and rub glue onto the dry top of the canvas, being very careful to not get any glue on the excess canvas that will be folded over the edges.

Let it dry.
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

After this coat of glue dries flip the shield over. Now, start slopping glue onto the back of the excess canvas and onto the edge of the shield.

Using your fingers, get the canvas to lay as flat as possible. THE FOLLOWING DETAIL IS IMPORTANT.

You will NOT be able to get all the canvas excess to lay flat on the back of the shield. Using your fingers, pinch sections together that rise as folds so that the areas between these folds lay totally flat against the back of the shield.

Let the back dry.
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

This is an oval shield showing the canvas covering on the top.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 008.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 008.JPG (50.63 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Using a sharp, thin-bladed, springy knife cut away the raised sections of the canvas that you could not get to lay flat.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 009.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 009.JPG (51.15 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Another view of the back.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 010.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 010.JPG (43.42 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
-Me
owen matthew
Archive Member

Post by owen matthew »

Thank you! This should be "stickied" for perpetuity.
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Now get out the SLOW CURE epoxy of your choice. While this isn't the type I regularly use, it works fine.

I usually use SYSTEM THREE spoxy.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 011.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 011.JPG (58.52 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Fast cure epoxy will NOT WORK. It will not cure hard enough for you to sand.
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Go get some ridged plastic drinking cups used at parties and such. You want the ridged ones because it's easier to match levels when you are mixing epoxy. Mark the ridge you want to use with a pen.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 012.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 012.JPG (44.79 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

I changed my mind and decided to use less for this working session.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 014.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 014.JPG (40.42 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Oh, I forgot.

YOU MUST WEAR A BREATHING MASK THAT IS DESIGNED TO FILTER OUT HARMFUL FUMES.

I need a new one.

DO NOT breathe the fumes from any epoxy...ever. It will give you brain damage.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 013.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 013.JPG (42 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Pour the appropriate amount of each goo into an aluminum baking pan. Some are 1 to 1 ratio and some are 2 to 1.

ATTENTION-
One type of goo will ALWAYS be stickier than the other, and it's usually the hardener. If one cup empties a slight amount more than the other, pour the difference from the bottle to make sure you have enough. Not enough hardener and you are BONED.

Get a stick to stir it.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 015.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 015.JPG (60.21 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Stir it some more. Get as much of both goo in one half of the pan as you can by raising one side while you stir.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 016.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 016.JPG (66.5 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Keep stirring. Get out your chip brush
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 017.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 017.JPG (54.95 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

The first coat of epoxy will always soak into the canvas itself.
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 018.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 018.JPG (38.68 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Now, if I intend to sew a leather edge on a shield, I don't cover it with canvas at all, but simply let the first coat of epoxy soak into the wood itself!!
Attachments
Edgelesstutorial 019.JPG
Edgelesstutorial 019.JPG (36.38 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
-Me
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

It will be a few days until I can go on with this.

Basically, after 72 hours you can coat the shield again, pushing the epoxy a bit towards the edge so it will coat the edge and pool on the back side- creating drip bumps. Use small bits of wood to raise one side of the shield if you need to move the whole coat of epoxy.

Coat the shield three or four times.

That's all for now.
-Me
Morejello
Archive Member

Post by Morejello »

Vitus von Atzinger wrote:This one is made from two layers of birch.

Not to pick nits, but that particular blank is made from 2 layers of 1/4" birch and 1 layer of 1/8" birch for a total thickness of 5/8". It's beefy, and tough as hell.
The oval is 1/2", though.

Thanks for this tutorial, Vitus.
lanars
Archive Member

Post by lanars »

Hello

Yes please some one turn this into a sticky. Thanks for the information on making shields. I do have one question for you though.
the cost wise for the material and labor what do you have in it? I am looking for more like how many hours per shield and your material cost.

Thanks Lanars
Maelgwyn
Archive Member

Post by Maelgwyn »

I currently make my blanks from 2 layers of 1/4" birch, glued with Titebond III and curved in a press. Is there a better way to glue the sheets together and prevent voids?

Do you round the edges of the shield at all, or leave them square?
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

I round the edges of the shield before I cover it with canvas.

As to how much the process costs- if I knew I would never have started making them.
-Me
Wulfgar
Archive Member

Post by Wulfgar »

How does this kind of edgeless shield hold up when used by someone that has an edge blocking style?
Sir Wulfgar Jarnsiða
Morejello
Archive Member

Post by Morejello »

Maelgwyn wrote:I currently make my blanks from 2 layers of 1/4" birch, glued with Titebond III and curved in a press. Is there a better way to glue the sheets together and prevent voids?
I've been making the blanks for Vitus, so I'll answer this one as best I can.
I use Gorilla Glue instead of titebond. I understand that some people here on the archive dislike it and have had poor experiences with it, but my experiences with it have been good. In the past I've found that the layers of plywood will delaminate internally just as much as they will at the glue joints. One thing I should point out, though - I've made shields out of Home Depot / Lowes 'birch' plywood for a long time, and for the most part that plywood is crap. It's usually either a thin veneer of birch over MDF, or it's a ply of birch over plys of some soft filler wood. I switched to 100% baltic birch wood earlier this year when I started making blanks on a regular basis for Vitus, but I haven't had enough turnover in shields yet to say whether this wood delaminates as easily as the crap plywood I was using before.
When I press the wood, I include an unglued layer of 1/4" plywood under the shield and a layer over the shield, and press it all together. My reasoning is that this provides additional pressure against the shield wood, making for a more even clamping. I also make sure to clamp the center at each end of the press first, before I clamp the sides at all.
I would also say that the more solid area that your press has underneath the shield, the less voids you'll get.
Hope this helps.
-Marcello
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

I vote for sticky too.

Thanks for sharing, Vitus and Marcello.

Thanks!
Christopher
War kittens?!!!

"Born to lose. Live to win."

Historical Interpreter- Jamestown Settlement Museum
Master's Candidate, East Carolina University
Graduate of The College of William & Mary in Virginia
Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Post by Baron Eirik »

- quick question for Vitus or Marcello: It's mentioned that these are heavier than the average SCA shield. What kind of weight range do they have in general?
Master Eirik, MSCA
Munitions Grade Arms, Rattan & Thrusting Tips
Now on Facebook
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

That depends on how much epoxy you lay on them.
-Me
Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Post by Baron Eirik »

Just looking for generalities. About 10 lbs? 15? 30?
Master Eirik, MSCA
Munitions Grade Arms, Rattan & Thrusting Tips
Now on Facebook