Making of: Ocean's Wrath (Maxamillian/Gothic/Fantasy)

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Making of: Ocean's Wrath (Maxamillian/Gothic/Fantasy)

Post by Zetheros »

Alright! Another update. So I've finally cut out all the pieces for my armet, and shaped a few main pieces. Also, I'm going to be using a title relevant to the project I'm working on now, so now all new updates will be posted in this thread. These are progress pics, so if you see any pits or stray bumps that I haven't corrected with a finishing hammer, don't worry. I'll get to it eventually.

If you want to see the other progress pictures, the links are here and here.

I've also been cutting out the plates for the next part, the articulated gorget!

(Sorry everyone, but my internet is really slow right now, and I have somewhere to be. I will post pictures later in a few hours.)
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Re: Making of: Ocean's Wrath (Maxamillian/Gothic/Fantasy)

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

Hey Zetheros,

Just checked out your progress stuff. I'm a young whippersnapper like yourself but have been around here for ages, it seems. Just wanted to say that the way you shape metal shows signs of some of the most natural talent I've come across on this board or any other like it. Do keep up the awesome work, and always find something to be inspired by. The process can be grueling and resources slim, but as long as you've got your two hands, a hammer and a piece of metal, make it happen. You're doing lovely stuff!

What sort of fantasy styles have inspired you in particular? I see what I'd consider to be some RPG-style winged helmet/pauldron ideas floating around in your head, but possibly would go as far as to say that you've been playing Magic: The Gathering or Warhammer to get some styling queues, too... On top of gosh knows what else. What games do you play or what shows do you watch, etc? Cheers!

-Gerhard
Tomburr
Archive Member

Post by Tomburr »

Gerhard, I also see an influence that suggests Peter Jackson's LoTR version of Sauron's armour.

Zetheros, you got mad skills man. Keep posting the pics, we love it!
Thomas de Bristol
Nissan Maxima wrote:God grant me the courage to change what I can't accept...
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Nanning is getting flooded, apparently my grandma's apartment was filled with knee-deep water yesterday, and since the electricity goes out even after a light rain shower around here, it's a miracle that the internet works at all! It'll be nice to return to the US in four months.

I hope I'll be able to complete my suit by then.

Here are three of the five images I was going to post. The other two are stuck at a 37% upload.

I'm basing my armet off of a Florentine armet, here's the back plate.

...And it also takes an element of the three crown design from Egypt.

All the pieces are finally cut out and mostly shaped! Well, except for the jaw piece and hinges/latches.

Keegan Ingrassia
Archive Member

Post by Keegan Ingrassia »

:D This...is...awesome!

I can't wait to see this come together!
"There is a tremendous amount of information in a picture, but getting at it is not a purely passive process. You have to work at it, but the more you work at it the easier it becomes." - Mac
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Seriously. I've been considering making some fantasy armor based on Tolkien's descriptions of stuff and my own imaginative input... Totally draggin' ass because of my love of history. Zetheros may have put a new fire under my ass that just might not be simmered. This is righteous.

-Gerhard
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Fire :twisted: !!!

lol.

Here are the other two:

Unfortunately, part of the filed decorations broke off after I shaped the back, (it's the small piece of metal that looks like an arrow) However, I'm working around this and am thinking of installing a long white horse hair tail inside an etched/engraved steel tube at the end.
veltez
Archive Member

Post by veltez »

If you have the ability to make some how tos... I know of some ppl that would be devote followers. Normally I can look at a peice of armor and see where something is shaped and come up with how to duplicate the shape. Yours, honestly makes me go cross eyed...
"I can eat a 5 lb bag of sugar with a spoon, and be a _bit_ hyperkinetic, but I won't lose focus. One red M&M though.. and boy howdy.. boingy boingy LETS RIDE BIKES LOOK A TREE WHAT WAS I DOING WITH THIS CHAINSAW WHEEEE!" --Maeryk
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Haha, well there are already plenty of tutorials on making flutes and shaping armor. In fact, the knowledge I'm using to build this suit all came from this website and Brian Price's book, "Techniques of Medieval Armor Reproduction".

The only thing that you might not find on this website or TOMAR, is that I build most of the patterns free-hand on folded cardboard (as if I'm drawing!). while this uses up a ton of cardboard, it gives me more creative freedom.
Signo
Archive Member

Post by Signo »

This project is very cool, I hope to see it finished soon.
Keep the pictures coming!
veltez
Archive Member

Post by veltez »

The basic theory I get, but disecting an artisits flare is something different altogether. Actually would you mind if I PM you about a project im working on?
"I can eat a 5 lb bag of sugar with a spoon, and be a _bit_ hyperkinetic, but I won't lose focus. One red M&M though.. and boy howdy.. boingy boingy LETS RIDE BIKES LOOK A TREE WHAT WAS I DOING WITH THIS CHAINSAW WHEEEE!" --Maeryk
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Holding half of the visor and balancing the armet was fun! Here's what it will sort of look like when it's done, it's missing the bronzework, glass jewel, jawpiece, horse hair tail, and a few other bits though. I'll be done with the three main parts tomorrow and will be working on the visor a few days from now.

:D I like this photoshop. It's like my drawings have come to life.

Sure Veltez! PM me whenever you want. I usually check the forums daily.
Last edited by Zetheros on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lucian Ro
Archive Member

Post by Lucian Ro »

Your work is amazing, friend.
Lord Lucian Ro
MKA
Scotty Riopel

Per pale argent and purpure, a dragonfly counterchanged and on a chief sable a dagger reversed argent.

When there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph. -Pierre Corneille
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Thanks!
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Gerhard von Liebau wrote:Hey Zetheros,

Just checked out your progress stuff. I'm a young whippersnapper like yourself but have been around here for ages, it seems. Just wanted to say that the way you shape metal shows signs of some of the most natural talent I've come across on this board or any other like it. Do keep up the awesome work, and always find something to be inspired by. The process can be grueling and resources slim, but as long as you've got your two hands, a hammer and a piece of metal, make it happen. You're doing lovely stuff!

What sort of fantasy styles have inspired you in particular? I see what I'd consider to be some RPG-style winged helmet/pauldron ideas floating around in your head, but possibly would go as far as to say that you've been playing Magic: The Gathering or Warhammer to get some styling queues, too... On top of gosh knows what else. What games do you play or what shows do you watch, etc? Cheers!

-Gerhard
Oh sorry, I missed this post!

For inspiration, I've played a lot of Morrowind, Oblivion, Diablo 2 LOD, Warcraft 3, WoW, Neverwinter Nights, Torchlight, Dragon Age, Gothic, Age of Empires...I'm sure I've forgotten a few. Strangely enough, I have not played Magic or Warhammer. I've also yet to play the Final Fantasy series, despite being an RPG fan. Also, I don't really watch TV, but I watched the Game of Thrones recently, and enjoy most medieval or medieval-fantasy movies! And anime. Anime is amazing. I recommend Code Geass, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Very inspirational stuff.

I have so many sources of inspiration that I often forget where an idea came from, haha.
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Ah, ha! An RPG fan. I should have suspected, what with all these computer games these days. Ha, ha. I've only played a ton of WoW, myself, but it's been a while now, thank goodness. The real world is a nice place to be in. Looking forward to your progress!

-Gerhard
Keegan Ingrassia
Archive Member

Post by Keegan Ingrassia »

Zetheros wrote:Oh sorry, I missed this post!

For inspiration, I've played a lot of Morrowind, Oblivion, Diablo 2 LOD, Warcraft 3, WoW, Neverwinter Nights, Torchlight, Dragon Age, Gothic, Age of Empires...I'm sure I've forgotten a few. Strangely enough, I have not played Magic or Warhammer. I've also yet to play the Final Fantasy series, despite being an RPG fan. Also, I don't really watch TV, but I watched the Game of Thrones recently, and enjoy most medieval or medieval-fantasy movies! And anime. Anime is amazing. I recommend Code Geass, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Very inspirational stuff.

I have so many sources of inspiration that I often forget where an idea came from, haha.
Ooo! You looking forward to Skyrim coming out next month? :D
"There is a tremendous amount of information in a picture, but getting at it is not a purely passive process. You have to work at it, but the more you work at it the easier it becomes." - Mac
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Definitely, too bad this 2006 computer can hardly play minecraft. I need to get back to my computer in the US.
Destichado
Archive Member

Post by Destichado »

Hell's Bells. That's awesome.

It looks like something Garrus would wear. ...when he wasn't in the middle of some calibrations.
Memento, homo, quod cinis es! Et in cenerem reverentis!
Smilingotter
Archive Member

Post by Smilingotter »

Looks great so far! I'll be eagerly following your progress.
Halberds
Archive Member

Post by Halberds »

Thank you for the progress pics great works so far.
I like it.

Hal
Happy Metal Pounding
veltez
Archive Member

Post by veltez »

this makes me wish for a fantasy section for the patterns board...
Hisselint
Archive Member

Post by Hisselint »

Masterfull work , pleasure and privelege to see it
For naked sword of all times
there is one
NOW
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments!

Here are the designs for my cuirass.

The armpits will be covered in articulating plates, I just didn't want to draw them in since it would make the blueprints look too busy. I'm trying to remove the amount of latches and hinges as well, while keeping with the original design. Note that the blue plates wrap all the way around the middle gorget-shaped piece. And if you're red/green colorblind, I'm terribly sorry, :D just PM me and I'll fix it.
Smilingotter
Archive Member

Post by Smilingotter »

That's gonna look insane. Insanely cool, that is.
lambeosaurus
Archive Member

Post by lambeosaurus »

Can't wait to see the whole armor done !
Do you intend to use it for larp ?
veltez
Archive Member

Post by veltez »

though its for a costume portfolio, i wonder how well this kit would stand up to somw whomping...
Ckanite
Archive Member

Post by Ckanite »

If I were you I would curtail the gorget shortly after where you have the hinges placed. otherwise It will be a huge pain to put the thing on, and also where does the gorget open up? I can't wait till you have this thing finished! You have a real talent!!
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Ahh, electricity outage for several days here. This is only a costume since there are dangerous pointy ends that could be hazardous in mock fighting, and also because I'm just working with 18 gauge mild steel. If I were making a suit of armor for mock combat I'd use thicker gauges of stainless and a much more rounded design. Pretty much SCA gear!

And the gorget opens up normally, however the middle plate is one solid piece, so the neck hole is the diameter of my head. Thanks Ckanite!
veltez
Archive Member

Post by veltez »

I can wait to see that segmented abdomen area take shape... looks interesting.
Eltz-Kempenich
Archive Member

Post by Eltz-Kempenich »

Gerhard is absolutely right. At 18 you're making this stuff?! Natural talent indeed! Incredible work, not just in the metal work, but in your ability to makes such complex designs functional and aesthetically pleasing as well. Very, very well done!
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Thanks so much! Here's the rest of the armor in cardboard, the waist-down area needs a little more work, but everything is there (or already made/being worked on downstairs) except for the vambraces and sabatons.

It's only half of the armor since I'm not designing any asymmetrical parts, so if you see something missing, it's probably a mirror of something else. No, it's not laziness, it's efficiency. :lol: Anyways, I'm going to power through this and design, cut out and hammer each piece into their basic shapes in the next two weeks or less. Wish me luck!

veltez
Archive Member

Post by veltez »

this reminds me... i need to score some cardboard. I cant wait to see some more progress pics >_<!!
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

So after viewing more pictures of armor and gathering more inspiration, it occurred to me that if I wanted this suit to look more 'authentic' (even though it's fantasy) I would need to use thicker and varying gauges.

I told my dad to get some 16 gauge, however I think it's a thicker gauge, since my fingers feel like they've been run over by several loaded shopping carts on a black friday after taking three days to hammer out these middle pieces of my cuirass, and since it's 2.5x thicker than 18.

I'll be adding roping in the next few days.

Maaaaan I feel so tired. I have to stop working at around 4:30 instead of working until 6, otherwise my hammerstrikes just flop around on this new steel.

If you look to the upper right of some of the photos, you can see the other two pieces of the cuirass. They're also made from the same gauge, and I'm going to be hammering several dozen flutes into each of them...
veltez
Archive Member

Post by veltez »

That is definately interesting. is the cut into the metal at the collar a planned addition or was it a happy mistake?