Making of: Ocean's Wrath (Maxamillian/Gothic/Fantasy)

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Re: Making of: Ocean's Wrath (Maxamillian/Gothic/Fantasy)

Post by Zetheros »

I guess I'll ship all the pieces that I have worked on back to the US and put them in storage somewhere. Emotionally I just can't work on this suit of armor anymore, I have to start new now that my motivation has been eliminated.

But hey! I gained a ton of experience and can make an even better suit.
coreythompsonhm
Archive Member

Post by coreythompsonhm »

Im sure after taking a break from this project you will find you will be interested in finishing it. Sometimes projects can get overwhelming and a break is needed.
Johann ColdIron
Archive Member

Post by Johann ColdIron »

Zetheros wrote: And they say youth is wasted on the young. I guess they were right. Anyways, it's time for me to move on. There's no use wasting more of my life seeing as I can design a better suit of armor now.

Once I have a career as a 3d modeler and a workshop, look forward to my next suit.
Having been 18 once, more than half my life ago I can say that most of us survive the experience. ;)Might not look it now but you will get through this. I just had to tell a student of mine that it was OK for him to get a job right now instead of fight. Once he has his career started he can come back and work on armour to his hearts content. Same goes for you.

Hang in there. You have talent. 3D modeling is a great place to be. I wish the tech had been as far along when I was your age. I'm having to learn it backwards from traditional drafting.

I look forward to seeing your next project :twisted:
John Cope/ Sir Johann ColdIron, Master- Order of the Laurel

I'm not dead yet!
Destichado
Archive Member

Post by Destichado »

Good God, and only 18.

Kid, you're one of the most naturally talented metalshapers I've seen or heard of, and Lord knows you're only going to get better with age and experience. You get more done in a week than most men do in a month. Polish your skills. If you keep an eye out for what people are willing to pay for, they'll take you places.

For instance, certain pieces of armor are rather iconic...
*cough* *cough*
A man who could make the model, and then make the helmet (etc.) for display at the odd expo (maybe one for electronic entertainment...?) might be able to turn himself a pretty sought-after fellow.
Memento, homo, quod cinis es! Et in cenerem reverentis!
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

If I read your posts correctly you will be back in the US in early Feburary ,specifically in San Francisco.
If so you need to try and make it to Chris Gilman's Armour Workshop (Feb 25/26).
I think that it is about 400 miles from SF to North Hollywood.
If you could swing it you would make some good contacts and I am sure learn a few things.

Tom
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

Hey Zeth,

I'll be back in SF on Sunday. When are you showing up? Will you be in the city proper? We need to hang out, and talk. Your work has been splendid - but if you don't want to do it, don't. The muse must be with us all when working on such refined art, which is exactly what you've been creating. The itch will return to you, and when it does you will be all the wiser in both practice and purpose.

Cheers, mate.

-Gerhard
Zubeydah
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by Zubeydah »

Zetheros: Set aside your work for now. But please, please, PLEASE (and yes, I'm begging here) don't get rid of it. You have poured something into this work, something of yourself and your creativity and your passion. You have made it into something more than metal and fabric and paint. You have given it a soul. You have created art.

with respect,

zubeydah
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Find what you love to do, and do only that.
I am the SCA's middle finger.
www.clovenshield.org
SigmundrUlfriksson

Post by SigmundrUlfriksson »

Zubeydah wrote:Zetheros: Set aside your work for now. But please, please, PLEASE (and yes, I'm begging here) don't get rid of it. You have poured something into this work, something of yourself and your creativity and your passion. You have made it into something more than metal and fabric and paint. You have given it a soul. You have created art.
+1
March forth and fight the good fight, Brother Warrior. The future shall honor your deeds.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Thanks everyone, for such supportive comments. :)

@Corey: Yeah, I just didn't have enough time.

@Johann: I wonder what kind of technology will be available 20 years from now! Haha.

@Destichado: That'd be pretty mindblowing if one of my character/armor designs became iconical :D

@Enrico: I might be too busy, but I'll look into it. Thanks!

@ Gerhard: I'm not sure exactly when I'll be in San Francisco, all I know is that it'll be in early February. I'm still working out where I'll be staying with my mom, but she seems pretty certain that I'll be staying at her friend's sister house. I'll send a PM/update the thread once I get the exact details. It'd be great to meet someone who knows the city!

@Zubeydah: I'll return to it later for sure. I put all the best aspects from all the helmets I've ever drawn from age 12 to just a few hours ago into it, not to mention the hours I spent sewing and shaping 12g... Thanks!

@Nissan Maxima: So I guess I'll start a new thread for Zyrusil Ordane then!

Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=144660

I also changed Zyrusil into a Sky Baron instead of a lycan hunter, but that can always change too...
Eltz-Kempenich
Archive Member

Post by Eltz-Kempenich »

Zeth, I think I speak for most, if not all of us when I say that you're schooling us. Hard. At 18 years old you already have demonstrated a level of mastery that quite frankly is beyond what a lot of us here will ever reach. AND you did it with fairly rudimentary tools. Imagine what you could do with better tools and time!!! That alone is reason enough to continue.

I can understand that you did this for a girl, and lord knows I've done stupid shit for girls too. But I didn't begin producing a masterpiece. You did. The work you started exemplifies for skill, determination, and dedication... as well as your feelings for this girl. In time you may choose to cherish those feelings toward her, to revisit them as embodied in this project. Or perhaps you'll let those feelings fade, and you'll recognize that those metal pieces, even devoid of those feelings of infatuation, are imbued with with other emotions and qualities. Maybe you'll see the sheer beauty, even regardless of the feelings they evoke, in what you have made. There are reasons to keep this project alive. Don't do it for us (though we all want you to), do it for yourself. Do it, above all, because you love to do it. Armouring is a labor of love and it should never have to be forced. In the work most of us do, though, there is less creativity and personality; a dead-end project is not a great loss when it is a cookie-cutter pattern. Your work, though, is one of a kind.

Anyway, best of luck to you and I look forward to ruining my keyboard with drool in the future!
Edvvard

Post by Edvvard »

This topic has been incredible to look through. Thanks for sharing this stuff :D

It's kind of got me motivated to start working on my kit again..
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Thanks Eltz. :)
veltez
Archive Member

Post by veltez »

Eltz-Kempenich wrote:Zeth, I think I speak for most, if not all of us when I say that you're schooling us. Hard. At 18 years old you already have demonstrated a level of mastery that quite frankly is beyond what a lot of us here will ever reach. AND you did it with fairly rudimentary tools. Imagine what you could do with better tools and time!!! That alone is reason enough to continue.

I can understand that you did this for a girl, and lord knows I've done stupid shit for girls too. But I didn't begin producing a masterpiece. You did. The work you started exemplifies for skill, determination, and dedication... as well as your feelings for this girl. In time you may choose to cherish those feelings toward her, to revisit them as embodied in this project. Or perhaps you'll let those feelings fade, and you'll recognize that those metal pieces, even devoid of those feelings of infatuation, are imbued with with other emotions and qualities. Maybe you'll see the sheer beauty, even regardless of the feelings they evoke, in what you have made. There are reasons to keep this project alive. Don't do it for us (though we all want you to), do it for yourself. Do it, above all, because you love to do it. Armouring is a labor of love and it should never have to be forced. In the work most of us do, though, there is less creativity and personality; a dead-end project is not a great loss when it is a cookie-cutter pattern. Your work, though, is one of a kind.

Anyway, best of luck to you and I look forward to ruining my keyboard with drool in the future!
Quote'd for the F'Ming TRUTH!!
"I can eat a 5 lb bag of sugar with a spoon, and be a _bit_ hyperkinetic, but I won't lose focus. One red M&M though.. and boy howdy.. boingy boingy LETS RIDE BIKES LOOK A TREE WHAT WAS I DOING WITH THIS CHAINSAW WHEEEE!" --Maeryk
Pitbull Armory
Archive Member

Post by Pitbull Armory »

Hi Zethros. I love the look of your metal. Thank you for the updates and keep up the great work.

Take care

Pitbull
Hi, Please visit https://www.facebook.com/PITBULL-ARMORY-264094743168/ if you get time. Or contact me at leiderandy@yahoo.com if you have any questions. Take care, Andy @ Pitbull Armory
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Thanks Pitbull, you too!
Oolak
Archive Member

Post by Oolak »

WOW! Man your work is absolutely amazing! I just started trying to make armor this month and looking at yours make me want to do two things...One: quit..my skills are so far from yours that I feel like a retarded finger painter talking to Monet...Two: strive to work hard and learn all the techniques I can and perhaps I can develop skills that are even a fraction as good as yours. Thanks for sharing your work. I look forward to seeing the final project.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Oolak wrote:WOW! Man your work is absolutely amazing! I just started trying to make armor this month and looking at yours make me want to do two things...One: quit..my skills are so far from yours that I feel like a retarded finger painter talking to Monet...Two: strive to work hard and learn all the techniques I can and perhaps I can develop skills that are even a fraction as good as yours. Thanks for sharing your work. I look forward to seeing the final project.
Oh, don't tell yourself that. Shoot for the stars! Abolish all limitations and think outside the box. The world is your tub of legos, and you are a god of creation. Even if you don't make it through in one piece the first time, you'll gain a gargantuan swath of knowledge. It would be nice to see a lot more armor being built here. :D

Apologies if I sound funny; I've gotten into a nocturnal sleep pattern since I don't have any more armor to build and can't seem to get out, lol.
Keegan Ingrassia
Archive Member

Post by Keegan Ingrassia »

Zetheros wrote:Apologies if I sound funny; I've gotten into a nocturnal sleep pattern since I don't have any more armor to build and can't seem to get out, lol.
I've found that I always wax eloquent when I'm sleep deprived or in a nocturnal pattern; interesting to find that others do the same. :)
"There is a tremendous amount of information in a picture, but getting at it is not a purely passive process. You have to work at it, but the more you work at it the easier it becomes." - Mac