14th century heater strapping.

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Buster
Archive Member

14th century heater strapping.

Post by Buster »

Does anyone know how to strap a heater shield in a manner that would be historically accurate for the 14th century?
I saw this effigy referanced http://effigiesandbrasses.com/monuments ... e/8/large/ , but I'm confused by the array of straps and buckles. It looks like he has a gauige strap, and at least 3 other straps, 2 of them with buckles. (?)
I'm a bit short on leather strapping, so is there a more minimalist approach with would still be historical?
Also, what is the period way to affix the straps the the shield? (nails, rivets, staples?)

(I'm making my shield using beveled strips of 1/2" cedar glued together, if that makes a differance.)
don
Archive Member

Re: 14th century heater strapping.

Post by don »

Personally, the strapping looks to be similar to how a heater is "normally" strapped along with two straps set up similar to a strapped round.

One "type" of shield that would be closeb is a Norman kite, the strapping appears to be in a square so that the arm either goes verticle or horizontal.

As far as buckles are concerned; they seem to be a personal thing, you either like the shield "snugged up" or you don't.

Don
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

Hey Buster,

In Jan Kohlmorgen's dissertation and book, Der Mittelalterliche Reiterschild (1956), he discusses several surviving heater shields from Germany and the surrounding continental regions. They all date between c. 1180-1420 or so, and by pages 75 or so you'll get into the 14th century. Kohlmorgen provides several detailed sketches of his own recreations of the strapping (you will have to examine the surviving traces on the photographs to see how much you agree with his ideas!). Because the entire book is available for viewing on the public website provided, I'd suggest browsing through it, even if you can't read a lick of German. The full-page views of the shields are typically detailed photographs with captions obviously stating the owner's names and the dates of the shields.

Glimpse through it a bit. It's also not hard to find the dimensions of the shields, usually in the second paragraph of the text about them individually, which typically follows a page or two after the photograph of it and has a large header. Cheers.

- Gerhard
Buster
Archive Member

Post by Buster »

Thanks for that link, very interesting and informative.
I had no idea there were so many 14th century shields surviving in such good condition.
It looks like there are a number of simpiler designs that were used.

I can't read any of the text, though. Does the author make any mention of how the strapping is affixed to the shield? Many of the drawings seem to indicate a rivet peened agaisnt a washer, and the Black Prince reconstruction looks to use nails, but I'm not sure.
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Most of the straps seem to be affixed with a rivet and washer, yes. These components typically survive at least in part and are the basis of most of Kohlmorgen's reconstructions. The construction - there would likely be holes drilled in the proper places, rivets inserted from the front of the shield and peened on the back up against the washer and strap combo.

Cheers!

-Gerhard
Albrechtthesilent
Archive Member

Post by Albrechtthesilent »

What is the little tie (next to where you place your hand) used for?
bairdec
Archive Member

Post by bairdec »

The book calls it a Befestigungsriemen, which translates to mounting strap. My German is pretty lousy, but I think it's used to hang the shield on a wall (p 126, last paragraph). Kohlmorgen doesn't say "wall" specifically, but I believe that is the intent.
Sometimes you have fun, and sometimes the fun has you. -Sgt. Schlock
Kalle Ommer
Archive Member

Post by Kalle Ommer »

bairdec wrote:The book calls it a Befestigungsriemen, which translates to mounting strap. My German is pretty lousy, but I think it's used to hang the shield on a wall (p 126, last paragraph). Kohlmorgen doesn't say "wall" specifically, but I believe that is the intent.
Well, my german is pretty good, but my english is lousy, just the other way around. In the paragrph Kohlmorgen states that a "Befestigungsriemen" is used to hang the shield. He does not say if this is used to hang it to a wall or maybe something like the saddle horn, or whatever.

If you have a question about a paragraph, I will gladly try and translate it, as long as the "paragraph" isn´t the whole book :wink:

Kalle
Last edited by Kalle Ommer on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gewalt ist nicht die Loesung des Problems ..... aber ungemein befriedigend ;-)
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

(EDIT: Bad info! My German sucks and I apparently can't read English well, either.)
Last edited by Gerhard von Liebau on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bairdec
Archive Member

Post by bairdec »

Actually, Gerhard, Kohlmorgen calls the guige strap a Schildfessel. The small tie that Albrecht is wondering about is a small leather cord that is usually in the middle of the shield. Some of his examples have really short cords, which is what led me to think they are for hanging the shield on a wall. Some are longer, however, and could be used to hang the shield from a saddle horn like Kalle suggested.

Here's the page with the parts depicted:
http://io.ua/13464570p

Here's the (short) paragraph I was referencing:
Häufig waren die Schilde im Bereich der Schildachse mit einem kleinen Befestigungsriemen versehen, um sie aufhängen zu können.
Sometimes you have fun, and sometimes the fun has you. -Sgt. Schlock
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Oh, that little sucker! I'm not sure why I didn't think to just look at his diagram or look at the quote you cited, sorry. I'd also imagine the Befestigungsriemes was for display use, in that case. I must say I never noticed this feature on one of his reconstructions - I focused on studying the 13th century examples and can't say I've flipped through every page of the book in earnest, yet! Cool stuff.

-Gerhard