The Pitbull meets his Master

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Pitbull Armory
Archive Member

The Pitbull meets his Master

Post by Pitbull Armory »

Like the title says, Im lucky enough to live near Ugo and his shop. Today he was nice enough to have me over, and took the time to show me around his shop and home. Meeting him in person was a pleasure, it was really nice to talk to him. Real easygoing. I say home but its more like a museum or Ye Olde Curiosity shop in Seattle. He was nice enough to give me a tour and give me some tips, Something Ill never forget. Got to meet his little pup Butters, what a cutie. Of course his home is full of movie stuff he has worked on and past projects that I could have spent hours inspecting but I didnt want to take up too much of his time and kept it as brief as possible. I didnt know but he makes these incredible mummified hands and beasts that look like real items. (Damn I forgot to get a pic of his Octomummy) His shop is full of bad ass armor pieces, some complete some just parts, but every piece was just incredible.

I mentioned I was going to try to make a set of 16th cent arms with turners soon and he starts digging in this box of misc pieces (he called it his Sh@#box of parts...I would call it.....not that ) and comes out with this heavy gauge Rebrace with a turner, and inner elbow compression articulation. Like on Henry the ?s armor (KtR?)...... (something ive been most fascinated with since I started trying to build armor, and never even seen one in person) He said I could have it since it was the first one he ever made.........*shock......*awe.......

After that I was walking around in a daze that lasted the whole hour drive home. Im sitting here studying it, half dazed even now hours later. If that wasnt enough, he also granted me a plastic casting of a gorgon head he had made in the past. An incredible piece of work to say the least.

Anyway I dont want to go on and on here, but if I liked professional sports, it would be like me meeting one of my favorite players. Just a really great experience Ill never forget.

Ugo thank you very much for your time, and of course the goodies.

Live Long and Prosper

Andy @ Pitbull Armory
Attachments
DVC00255.JPG
DVC00255.JPG (47.85 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
DVC00254.JPG
DVC00254.JPG (59.26 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
DVC00253.JPG
DVC00253.JPG (58.4 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
Last edited by Pitbull Armory on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Please visit https://www.facebook.com/PITBULL-ARMORY-264094743168/ if you get time. Or contact me at leiderandy@yahoo.com if you have any questions. Take care, Andy @ Pitbull Armory
Pitbull Armory
Archive Member

Re: The Pitbull meets his Master

Post by Pitbull Armory »

Gorgon, My only regret for the day is that I forgot to have him sign them :cry:

Have a good week

Pitbull
Attachments
DVC00251.JPG
DVC00251.JPG (55.88 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
Hi, Please visit https://www.facebook.com/PITBULL-ARMORY-264094743168/ if you get time. Or contact me at leiderandy@yahoo.com if you have any questions. Take care, Andy @ Pitbull Armory
Halberds
Archive Member

Post by Halberds »

Huzza!
LastKNIGHT
Archive Member

Post by LastKNIGHT »

Lucky :(
Bender
Archive Member

Post by Bender »

Nice. I look at this stuff,and it sort of pisses me off that I have to finish stuff for other people before I can play around with my own! I need more tools!

I used to have a box of crap parts too. And I'd give them away..until a guy used one of them, and people said MY stuff was crap. I cut them up and tossed them after that.

But I get the feeling you aren't going to abuse Ugo That way Andy. >:))
Halberds
Archive Member

Post by Halberds »

That is a good point.
My scrap box was looted.
However... Andy is good people.
PatternWeld
Archive Member

Post by PatternWeld »

Amazing compression articulation!
Jonathan Baird wrote: If the way were meant to be easy it would teach you no lesson.
Rhyance wrote:Seek excellence the way a man with his hair on fire seeks a pond. Rinse and repeat. Every day.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Henry VIII of England had a harness or two with those compression elbows. Quite the high-end feature in the sixteenth. The piece may well put you over the top at figuring how to make the things work. And how Vivat! is that?

And I think my envy-meter just pegged!
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
PatternWeld
Archive Member

Post by PatternWeld »

The Henry VIII harness has compression articulation on the butt & inside of leggs.... it is a marvell of armouring and engineering... even looking at detailed pics one wonders "How the **%$! did they do THAT!"

It only exposed the palms of hands and soles of feet..... :shock:
Jonathan Baird wrote: If the way were meant to be easy it would teach you no lesson.
Rhyance wrote:Seek excellence the way a man with his hair on fire seeks a pond. Rinse and repeat. Every day.
Mad Matt
Archive Member

Post by Mad Matt »

That's pretty lucky. I want to have Ugo's babies.
The budding mid 14th century German Transitional guy.
MadMatt'sArmory.com
Stahlgrim
Archive Member

Post by Stahlgrim »

I think if more of us lived closer Ugo might have to get some restraining orders.
"who needs Superman? We gave Chuck Norris a jet pack!"
"sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something."jake the dog
Paladin74
Archive Member

Post by Paladin74 »

Man, he makes some incredibly drool-worthy stuff. As I learn more about armor, I'm constantly impressed with the stuff you guys are putting out.
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis. -Pindar

Knight, Order of the Marshal
Count Johnathan
Archive Member

Post by Count Johnathan »

Pitbull Armory wrote:Gorgon, My only regret for the day is that I forgot to have him sign them :cry:

Have a good week

Pitbull

Looks like his signature is all over those pieces. :wink:

That is awesome. What a cool dude!
Hit hard, take light and improve your game.
Thomas Powers
Archive Member

Post by Thomas Powers »

Going to name that Gorgon....wait for it....Zola?
Pitbull Armory
Archive Member

Post by Pitbull Armory »

Heres a few more pids of the articulation as requested.
LastKNIGHT wrote:Lucky :(
Yes .....exactly how I feel

Bender quote: I have to finish stuff for other people before I can play around with my own! I need more tools!

I feel exactly the same Bender, I been working for a year to get my order list gone so I can go out in my shop and have fun again, spend as much time as I want on whatever item I FEEL like building.

Halberds quote: However... Andy is good people.

I feel exactly the same about you Hal, its no secret. Another one of my wishes is to come out to your shop and have some beers and BS about stuff. Eventually the wife and I will go on a cruise that will leave out of Galveston TX, I hope to make it by at that time. *salute

Count Johnathan quote: Looks like his signature is all over those pieces.

That is awesome. What a cool dude!

+10

Thomas Powers quote: Going to name that Gorgon....wait for it....Zola?

Thanks Thomas I like the name, we will go with that one unless Ugo tells us different :)

Happy Hollidays Guys

Pitbull
Attachments
DVC00258.JPG
DVC00258.JPG (57.46 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
DVC00257.JPG
DVC00257.JPG (58.66 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
DVC00256.JPG
DVC00256.JPG (57.82 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Bender
Archive Member

Post by Bender »

There is also a way to make the middle compression lame collapse even further. You can see it in examples of 16th century fencing gauntlets. Instead of being a rectangle-the central piece inside is narrower-and spindle shaped. And only has one rivet at it's ends. The two root articulations overlap one aonther. It takes a really exacting fit to make these two slide without gapping.

But the end result is that you have less "bunching" of the lames when the joint is folded.
Donngal
Archive Member

Post by Donngal »

my brain hurts... and not from a 12 hour day in the shop.

Ugo is awesome. hes given me pointers via texts.
One day I hope to have a box of crap like that to share and pass on to others.

Donngal
http://Www.aesirmetalwyrks.com
http://www.facebook.com/AesirMetalwyrks.
email aesirarmoury@gmail.com

not only do you have to have creative metal working skills but you have to be able to manage the business office side
otherwise you will not make it.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

That compression articulation is amazing! I think I've found an inspiration for my arms.
Pitbull Armory
Archive Member

Post by Pitbull Armory »

I totally agree guys. Here is the rebrace, I mounted the lames in it, cleaned it, oiled it up, and made a stand for it from a paper towel holder. They make awesome helmet stands also. It will reside on my desk for constant inspection.

Have a good weekend

Pitbull
Attachments
DVC00263.JPG
DVC00263.JPG (51.05 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
DVC00262.JPG
DVC00262.JPG (49.06 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
DVC00261.JPG
DVC00261.JPG (51.12 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Pitbull Armory
Archive Member

Post by Pitbull Armory »

one more
Attachments
DVC00259.JPG
DVC00259.JPG (43.63 KiB) Viewed 1759 times