Pheonix Dawn Plate Armour: China!

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Sam O.
Archive Member

Re: Making of: Pheonix Dawn COP (16th Century/Fantasy)

Post by Sam O. »

I love the concept sketches, even though they are more than sketches now.
The member formerly known as Findlæch

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cold or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out" - Bill Hicks
Morgan wrote:That's just so much "whoa" that it would defeat Keanu Reeves in a fight....
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Thanks guys!

Close-up of the cuirass.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

quick hi-res update before work: http://i.imgur.com/PEIbk.gif
LastKNIGHT
Archive Member

Post by LastKNIGHT »

Will you be starting to make any pieces anytime soon or are you going to wait till you're completely done with the concept and design first?

I'm so eager to see this get started.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Hey everyone! Long time no update.

I've been especially busy searching for tools. So far I have a section of rail that I'll be shaping and tempering in the near future, a sheet of 4'x4' 14g (Yes, I'm quite sure it's 14g, lol.) mild hot-rolled steel, a TON of cardboard, two chunks of wood, metal chisels (I'll be chiseling every plate due to the workshop constraints of working in my landlord's basement, and since it's not cost effective for me to buy a beverly shear for one suit.) and I'll be receiving my old hammers that I used to make my very first suit of armor with; a small and medium ball-peen along with various other tools, measuring taps, files, etc.

Tomorrow I'll be going down to the nearest Home Depot for pipes and stuff to make stakes, and will see if I can also buy some wood for a workbench.

Oh, and I've been playing around with angles. Check out the latest drawing here: http://imgur.com/TWyNt.gif
Nerevar Rising - Jeremy Soule

re. LastKNIGHT: Yep, I'm playing around with the cardboard design for the visor already. Expect pictures next week (or the week after, depending on when my mom returns my camera from her LA trip), perhaps even a video.
LastKNIGHT
Archive Member

Post by LastKNIGHT »

Looking sweet!

Chiseling the metal (especially 14g) is probably a really bad idea. Why don't you buy a jigsaw with metal cutting blades? Shouldn't cost all that much.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Well, actually I've thought about that too, but I've chiseled through two layers of 18g before, and the only difficulty I encountered was finishing the edges. I can't really use anything loud downstairs here either (goodbye angle grinder), I'm lucky enough to be able to use a hammer and anvil.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Tools have been gathered, embossed with mysterious runes of power, such as "SEMI-STEEL". Cardboard has been sacrificed in mass, their fibrous innards strewn, in preparation.

A phoenix shall rise from the ashes.

Oh, and welcome to my humble rental abode, hahaha.

This is just the first version of the cardboard mask; just something for me to get a general idea of the shape and function.

All I need now is a workshop and to rent oxy/propane tanks.
Last edited by Zetheros on Thu May 03, 2012 12:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
LastKNIGHT
Archive Member

Post by LastKNIGHT »

Ahaha, when I first glimpsed the picture with you holding the cardboard visor to your face, I thought you already made the visor out of steel. I wish I had some of the stakes you had. Where did you manage to get a hold of them?
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Ebay! Pretty pricy too, I won out on the bid for $550 (half of a month's pay) but it was worth it, One of those stakes off the shelf is about $200-300+. They'll last longer than me if I take care of them. I'm planning on building a transportable workshop that I can wear like a backpack, so I can travel to Europe to visit the museums, or if Fukushima's reactor #3 or 4 collapses, I can get out of California. It's all based around a foldable stake/anvil holder...

And if you're on the west coast, don't eat the local-caught fish in the next few years... Apparently, a ridiculously large mass of underwater tsunami backwash (highly irradiated trash) is slowly drifting towards our way.
Last edited by Zetheros on Thu May 03, 2012 1:17 am, edited 13 times in total.
LastKNIGHT
Archive Member

Post by LastKNIGHT »

Sounds like it'll be heavy D:
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

It'll probably weigh under 60lbs, stakes, hammers, files, chisels, wooden stand, and custom anvil.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Everyone knows this song, but what the heck; Moonraker - Shirley Bassey

My goal now is...to be better than Negroli. I'm gonna show him a thing or two :D

Finding a workshop is a metaphorical nibble, but no bites. Nobody wants to trust an 18 y/o with a welding torch, which is sad, because all that time searching means less time to build great works of art, and time is what I value most.
LastKNIGHT
Archive Member

Post by LastKNIGHT »

When I used to do community service making Rose Parade float for my city, they made me weld quite a bit at age 16 O_o
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Luuuucky.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

I've talked about how my standards grow exponentially, previously. Now when I look back on Ocean's Wrath, I say "What a load of rubbish."

I'm mentally forcing my drawing skills to a new level, starting with human posture.

You Only Live Twice - Nancy Sinatra
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

Yes yes.. Oceans warth utter rubbish... send it to me for immediate disposal. ;)
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

MJBlazek wrote:Yes yes.. Oceans warth utter rubbish... send it to me for immediate disposal. ;)
I'm sure you SCAdians would have a hellava time kicking 12g steel across the fields :roll:

Very close to finding a place to armor. I'm emailing this guy down at "American Steel". A giant warehouse/workplace for artists.

Here's the base of the helmet, stripped of detail, focusing on the mechanics. It's based off of a great bascinet without the rigid backplate, but with a sugarloaf top that slopes into sort of an armet in the back. The main purpose of the plates protecting the neck is to stop/deflect mounted lance thrusts or pollaxes that would go through an articulated gorget, which will be worn underneath incase anything slides off the cuirass and under the mask.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Update before work...

http://i.imgur.com/f0bYI.gif
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Not even 2/5ths done with the detailing yet... The mechanics have remained the same, the crown won't get in the way as it's part of the visor, which is one piece w/ répoussé and chasing.

Cello Suite No.1 - Bach

Patrick Marshall
Archive Member

Post by Patrick Marshall »

so when do you think you will be working out these designs in steel? Awesome concept art by the way just anxious to see it come together
Patrick Marshall

Quicksilver Armoury
Makers of Larp weapons and Armour

http://quicksilverarmoury.webs.com/
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

I'm still on the search for a workshop. Either...

A: It's too expensive (above $225/mo)
B: I meet up with a prospective landlord, and they don't follow up, even after being emailed.
C: They don't trust me because I'm 18.

I've already searched and talked to a little less than a dozen places and people, put postings on Craigslist, and taped flyers around town. I hope I'm not running out of options.

I can really start whenever, it just baffles me that it's so difficult to find a small 10'x10' room to hammer and weld in, in one of the largest urban areas in the world.

And I totally get the anxious part ;)

For me, it's like being gifted superpowers and not being able to use them, or imagine Mozart without access to a piano. There's more anguish than most can comprehend.
Last edited by Zetheros on Mon May 28, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

I don't want to raise false hopes, but I've just received word that a renter at American Steel that I've been corresponding with lately has offered me a trial period of one month to see if I fit in with his workshop and his fellow co-renters! I'll be meeting with him sometime this week, and if all goes well, expect pictures and videos in the very near future. :D
Keegan Ingrassia
Archive Member

Post by Keegan Ingrassia »

(Tentative) woot!
"There is a tremendous amount of information in a picture, but getting at it is not a purely passive process. You have to work at it, but the more you work at it the easier it becomes." - Mac
LastKNIGHT
Archive Member

Post by LastKNIGHT »

(Tentative) Woohoo!
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

06/14/12 - 06/20/12 is when I'll start working on my armor, just waiting on my rotary throatless shear to arrive. Yay!

I know I haven't really proved my skill at armoring, but if anyone would like to commission me for a piece, just send me a PM with a design and measurements in mind, and we can talk about the price as well (I'm thinking of starting at $15/hr + material cost & shipping) I haven't done any historical stuff, but I'm sure it wouldn't be very difficult, after researching. I mainly specialize in fantasy though.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Re: Making of: Pheonix Dawn (16th Century/Fantasy)

Post by Zetheros »

I think I am done with the general design of Phoenix Dawn. Onto the details...

Game of Thrones - Ramin Dawadi
http://i.imgur.com/cTXXm.gif
Zetheros
Archive Member

Re: Morning Star: 6/14/2012-6/20/2012

Post by Zetheros »

Guess what, o' noble warriors and sons of prometheus? :D

My metal shears of awesomeness arrived EARLY! I'll be cutting out my visor (and shaping it, after renting a welding setup) THIS WEEKEND!!!

I'll take pics and a video of it after dinner!
LastKNIGHT
Archive Member

Re: Morning Star: 6/9/12

Post by LastKNIGHT »

ANHLKANHAHNALK CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU BACK IN ACTION
typhoontong
Archive Member

Post by typhoontong »

Whoot!!!! Go Zetheros!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Ty
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

I'm surprised this tool is not often talked about for armoring, it works quite well and it's really cheap compared to a beverly; there are a few on ebay right now for about $170. http://www.ebay.com/itm/280883625014?ss ... 378wt_1144

Anyway, here's my video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3UunOlH ... e=youtu.be

Count Johnathan
Archive Member

Post by Count Johnathan »

I contacted the manufacturer about that tool. It is indeed an awesome tool but the max it should be used to cut, according to the manufacturer, is 14G mild or 16G stainless. So still useful but not tough enough to cut the heavier gauges that most reenactment or sport armorers need to be able to cut for helms and such. Most use either a bandsaw or a b2 or b3 beverly shear to cut the heavy stuff and if you have any of those tools there is little sense in buying an additional tool to cut lighter gauge metals. I was bummed out too because that is a very cool tool it just wouldn't do me much good. :(
Hit hard, take light and improve your game.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

It's quite perfect for me though, since I've only been working with mild :D