Pheonix Dawn Plate Armour: China!

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Re: Making of: Pheonix Dawn COP (16th Century/Fantasy)

Post by Zetheros »

Alright; well I'm not one to blow away advice, especially when the same advice is given by several. I'll see if I can get a stable financial situation and rent, so I can take two days off to visit Chris Gillman and his workshop down in LA. I have $3500 saved for rent, but I think I might be able to get a $300/month room here. I might get a part-time job soon too, but I'm still searching for a second one.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Hey everyone; I'm moving my updates to: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/zetheros mostly because of convenience, and so that my posts stop hogging the front page every time I update or comment. I'll still be on the Armor Archive though!

Once I'm done with the design, I'll post the result in this thread, and follow up with the actual armoring.
LastKNIGHT
Archive Member

Post by LastKNIGHT »

It says access denied when I click the link.
SigmundrUlfriksson

Post by SigmundrUlfriksson »

Yeah, I can't get to the blog without making a tumblr account it would seem.
March forth and fight the good fight, Brother Warrior. The future shall honor your deeds.
LastKNIGHT
Archive Member

Post by LastKNIGHT »

I have an account but it just doesn't let me visit your page.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Ooooh. Well alright. I guess I'll continue posting here then.

I changed quite a bit today, and it's late and I'm tired, so I forget what. I'm pretty sure I just changed the arm posture, and other minor details. I also did a quick background for fun... Enjoy!

high-res: http://i.imgur.com/V7aGy.gif

Cancer by My Chemical Romance (I just like the tune, the lyrics don't match...)

Ugo
Archive Member

Post by Ugo »

Oi ! I've been busy working on a project and enjoying my b-day weekend...

You may know by now I won't be making it to Gilman's for the get together... I'll be in Canada that weekend-damn being a grown up!!

How long are you going to be around? Are you moving to the States permanently?

Don't worry about the angst, it's part of the curse/ blessing!!! I started working with metal when I was 20.... (22 years ago....) Fuuuuuuuuuck!!!!! Sometimes I'd bleed, burn myself even pierced my wrist on a piece of metal, and had to have a tendon set back into my elbow.... I've cried myself to sleep at times and also celebrated creation! My biggest advice would be to have a back up... Never quit, make it your lover but you have to find a way to support your lover! She'll always be there, My mistake is that after 22 years I could have been so many things, a doctor, architect, engineer, Who knows? A coffee shop owner or antique dealer... I went to school and got a degree in fashion, which has helped me in doing costume design.

Take the time now that you are young, sacrifice a bit now -so you can enjoy later. I'm 42 and I may be well known and some may be inspired by my work, and get good money for my work because of the name I took so long to make... but still there's famine at times and during those times I wish I would have taken a bit more care of my nimble, young and moldable mind. The truth is my "Well" may be drying up... only so many more pieces may come from my hands or maybe my time is running out... My body not being able to take working steel for another decade.

Diversify, don't stay on one road, travel them all and find the one that feels best under your feet... find your bliss... pick the lowest hanging fruit.. etc. Maybe it'll be fine art, public art, jewelry, costume, architectural design... (I'm thinking of fine art myself, Armour is tough, hard to find the few that really appreciate and pay for what we do)

Maybe I got lucky, I've done a lot, designed for movies, private clients, traveled with my skills to some beautiful places for work, showed my work at the Louvre... Given talks and demos and inspired and taught a few with my work to become more. I've learned to almost melt the metal in my hands and almost make it look like flesh and hair and make it so you can feel and see the weight of the flesh. But it took time and I taught myself ... no one to turn to for help in learning these things because at the time no one had any idea how to do what I was trying to do! Believe me some tried to control me and stifle me and tell me it couldn't be done... imagine if I had listened to them?

So I studied the masters, how did they turn stone to flesh? I painted and sewed and sculpted ( I was a sculptor before I ever picked up a hammer) and I would break and stretch and curl metal, destroying it just to see how far it could go.... made it my bitch!!! :) Applied all the knowledge into my work with metal and became the work in progress ... this "legend" you've been hearing about... but guess what, I'll let you in on a little secret... I'm scared most of the time. I have no idea how I do it!!!! every project, every hammer blow there's a bit of wonder in it! More like I'm observing more than doing... maybe like there may be something else... someone else at work. The "Ugo" is there, not me... my name is Hugo. Ugo is sexy and rock and roll and mysterious . He drives a cool car and wears leather! Hugo is just a painfully insecure and shy boy who went to military academy, who drew in his notebooks and was always told he wasn't good enough, smart enough and had a stutter and nervous tick. Who almost became a priest and whose father didn't allow him to go to France on a music scholarship so he never sang again.

So I followed my "dreams", moved away- started over like it seems you're doing. Learned to think before reacting and surrounded myself with "yes you cans" instead of detractors. But tempered it with cool reality- learned about consequences and in effect how to play chess with life, seeing how different scenarios play and learning how to be a better person and artisan by finding my "Zen" my "Bliss" my "Muse" and "Duende".
I went back to school when I turned 25, devoured everything put in front of me, sat at the front and was an active participant in class. Almost aggressive at times in my participation ( I even ended up taking over a couple of classes when the professors were ill) The more I learned, the more I was humble and gained confidence and came out of my shell.

What ever you chose, do it with passion... and do it calmly. Take the time to do it right and choose the path that best fits... Remember: One NEVER comes across badly being well educated, traveled, mannered, groomed or by being aware... the more you strive for the better you'll become as an artist, a man, a lover or friend.

Sorry to go on, I guess I felt your "moment" . Maybe a bit of insight so you know you're not alone! Many of us have been there. You have such potential and something I didn't have so many years ago- US...
"How I Ioved listening to your sweet prayers every night.
And then you'd jump in your bed, -so afraid I was under there- And I was." -Lucifer-The Prophecy
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Wow, hey Ugo! There's so much to reply to; thanks for your insight and for sharing your experiences as well. It's too bad you're not going! This is the first time I've heard it since I haven't had the time to lurk here very much.

I think I'll stay in East Bay until this suit of armor is complete (there's this non-profit organization called "The Crucible", where I can rent workshops for ~$100 per year, and also because organic, fresh food is all over the place), then I might travel the world as a freelance concept artist/3d modeler.

I don't think I'm suffering from angst; more of a combination of not completing Ocean's Wrath, realizing I've wasted an entire year breathing burning garbage in China, and having to take time off from drawing to find a job and a place to rent. It's so strange returning from working on armor 24/7 in a horrendously filthy place where animal abuse happens right in front of your eyes, among other depravities, then returning to the US to live 'normally'. I imagine it's similar to how soldiers feel, returning home.

The only way I cope with it is taking all of that and focusing it right onto my artwork, it adds a few logs to the fires of creativity. And as a bonus, I've explored emotions that I did not think was possible before, and now I can easily translate them to photoshop. Perhaps my time in China was not a waste after all!

I really appreciate everyone's support and comments. I can imagine how difficult it would have been without the internet providing search images of armor, and an entire community dedicated to making it. I bet you had to read so many books and visit many museums, something that I'd like to do one day.
veltez
Archive Member

Post by veltez »

Zetheros, time is never wasted, unless you learned nothing. We are young and have passion for the art. Reguardless or where that stems from, I think it should fuel the fire that burns when we turn these wretched flat peices of steel and transform them into what they were meant to be!
"I can eat a 5 lb bag of sugar with a spoon, and be a _bit_ hyperkinetic, but I won't lose focus. One red M&M though.. and boy howdy.. boingy boingy LETS RIDE BIKES LOOK A TREE WHAT WAS I DOING WITH THIS CHAINSAW WHEEEE!" --Maeryk
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Huzzah!
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Got bored. Drew a ship.

This is probably something Zetheros (Ocean's Wrath) would have used. It's really rough right now though, I just drew it because my friends are starting another text RPG (the beginning starts off with a shipwreck), and I need a lot of concept art practice before moving onto 3d.

High res: http://i.imgur.com/taVD3.gif
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Sorry about the lack of updates; I've decided I needed a better pen and tablet if I want to do anything. My current set leaves ink trails all over the place, and is difficult to work with in general. I'll be getting that once I get a job, as a small celebration.

In the meantime I will be expanding my artistic library. Reading more books, visiting Wikipedia for more images of flora, fauna, and architecture to fill my mind for the next several years or more.
Halberds
Archive Member

Post by Halberds »

Keep up the good works Zetheros.

I was moved by Hugo's post also.
This shit ain't easy... if it was, everyone would be doing it. :wink:
Mike F
Archive Member

Post by Mike F »

Ugo wrote:I'm 42
I actively disbelieve.

My family's funny. None of us ever really hit our stride until our late 20s or early 30s. I'm quickly running out of time, but I'm getting there. But when we get there . . . It can be impressive.

No experience is EVER wasted. I have to admit, I found my calling, and I can't afford it, but it's a nice hobby. Luckily there's other parts of me that can do things that actually make money. My father told a lot of things to a lot of people, and one of those things was about simply moving forward. "It doesn't matter if it takes you ten years to get a degree, because in ten years you'll either have a degree or you won't." Just keep moving forward.

And listen to Ugo more than me. Apparently he's got a decade on me. Seriously, Ugo? I saw you bound around all excited with more energy than I have when you were working with Aaron up here in Wisconsin.
It's up to you now.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Redoing the entire armor design, the last one just doesn't meet my quality standards anymore!

I fixed up my stylus, and here's the rough sketch. It doesn't look like much right now, but I cleaned it up a little. I'm trying a new technique that will allow me to draw faster.

The new helmet will include the creases of a stechhelm, the mechanics of a great bascinet, the nose of a pig-faced visor, and the crest of a burgonet.

I'm also uploading 83 photos of Chris' tour of Global Effects inc. That was the most fun I've had in awhile. I learned a ton, but mostly I learned that articulations require faaaaar more fine-tuning and precision than I had previously believed. Everyone was really nice and humorous, especially Chris' regale of Ugo's follie. :lol: (sorry Ugo)

But one thing that I found most interesting is the "-whoosh- moment" where, during an SCA war, you feel that everything is real in a quickly fleeing moment. I wonder how possible it is to extend that moment, or utilize it for entertainment.
Last edited by Zetheros on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Done for today! I'm going to try to make experimental 'squared roping' for this, then temper the resulting ridges so that it'll damage the opponent's sword edges. It's similar to what fluting can do, but on a more intense degree.
SigmundrUlfriksson

Post by SigmundrUlfriksson »

If there was a like button on the Archive I would push it multiple times!
March forth and fight the good fight, Brother Warrior. The future shall honor your deeds.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Thanks Sigmund :D

This design took forever (and is still not done yet), and has been changed beyond recognition while I move towards my original design. This is the end result of four different helmets.

The entire front part of the helmet will be forged of one piece, and stuck onto a relatively normal bascinet and articulated gorget, along with a draping feather plume and red/gold ribbons. Instead of the gazillion plates I cut out and shaped for Ocean's Wrath, I'll just be repoussé-ing the details in.

I dropped the previous idea of combining so many elements of medieval helmets into one. The result nearly made me fall off my chair laughing.

All These Things That I've Done - The Killers

The only weaknesses I can think of is the crest and neck (if the flutes are made too tall) being a major sword-catch, or even worse; warpick or boiling water catch, and that I won't be able to turn my head, I'l only be able to look up, and maybe slightly down.

Then again, if I temper the feathered edges of the visor/neck protection, it'll really make an opponent wonder why his sword looks like a wood saw after a few minutes.

Buuuut, oh well. It's a fantasy piece.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Magia - Kalafina

High res: http://i.minus.com/ibyie4k9zj9WUG.gif

Work makes me busy! Removed the front crest, pauldrons are non-functional as of now, and the demons look silly, but I'll get back to it. Gotta go.
Paladin74
Archive Member

Post by Paladin74 »

Zetheros wrote:Then there's also this; but if I get hit on the brim it'll really jostle my head with every strike. (Unless I make the added edge from leather.)

I think it's now a show-down between the more eagle/ram's head, and this. I think I'll improve both versions and see which looks better. Although, I think I'm leaning towards the new design.

The older design has very few weaknesses, except for the lack of a brim/smaller eye slots and a heavier crest, which can be changed, the design is pretty solid.

The new design doesn't have many weaknesses either. In fact the only weaknesses I can think of are the inherit eye holes, and that I'll need to replace the extended leather brim and cloth hood every single battle. The fluted steel hat will have similar traits to a sallet, and the steel mask, a bevor. But hypothetically, am I even going to fight in this?

With the hat, almost looks like a medieval Vampire Hunter D. I can't wait to see this fully realized, this is an awesome set of drawings man!
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis. -Pindar

Knight, Order of the Marshal
Swete
Archive Member

Post by Swete »

Get some metal and tools. I want to see more of your work become reality. Do it Nyawowwow!
Squire to Sir Grimbaldus Bacon
Nihtgenga Fusleoð: Ærest æt acwallen, ærest æt gecringan!
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Yeah :D I'm waiting until next month's rent due. Then I'll see how much money I have left over. It's a decent job considering I have no qualifications; $12/hour. I'll only need about $100 to join The Crucible (the non-profit workshop complex I mentioned earlier that has nearly everything I need and more) and maybe $50 or so in steel and stakes to get started. I'll probably get started sometime mid-april.
Ld Thomas Willoughby
Archive Member

Post by Ld Thomas Willoughby »

Well that's good news, just don't starve yourself to get metal.

And try 16 and 18 ga, it'll move way better than that thick stuff you were wrestling with.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Yeah, organic, fresh produce is cheap and abundant here. The Bay Area is like food capital of the US. And I wouldn't work with 12 gauge again, even if someone paid me a million dollars to make a suit, hahaha. I think I'm going to try to make pattern-welded armor plates this time. Maybe a combination of mild and carbon; I'm not sure, I'll have to do more research.
Antonis
Archive Member

Post by Antonis »

Zetheros wrote:Yeah, organic, fresh produce is cheap and abundant here. The Bay Area is like food capital of the US. And I wouldn't work with 12 gauge again, even if someone paid me a million dollars to make a suit, hahaha. I think I'm going to try to make pattern-welded armor plates this time. Maybe a combination of mild and carbon; I'm not sure, I'll have to do more research.

You'll need a forge and a power hammer. There's a thread kicking around the front page of this forum of a guy making damascus gauntlets.
Beginning Armourer, Mafia Initiate
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Not sure where I'd find a power hammer...The Crucible might have one. They have about half a dozen forges, anyway.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Credens Justitiam - Yuki Kajiura

High-res: http://imgur.com/HJrH6

I removed another weakness to the helm; large eye holes! Unfortunately, I might just look sleepy all the time, but I'll try to mitigate that illusion to the best of my ability via repoussé and chasing.

I'll be designing the cloak and other cloth/leather items to be easily removed in case I ever want to fight in it too. After my second paycheck, I'll be buying some mild sheet, and garnering more info on The Crucible which should be in a week or so. I also dropped the idea of making the entire suit out of pattern-weld blanks. It just seems redundant when I'm going to saltwater etch designs into it anyway.

Can't wait to get started!
LastKNIGHT
Archive Member

Post by LastKNIGHT »

Can't wait to see you get started xD
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Yeah! I think I'll start on the helmet first since it's so defining of this armor design...
Halberds
Archive Member

Re: Making of: Phoenix Dawn COP (16th Century/Fantasy)

Post by Halberds »

The helm is best to get the fit, form and function of the overall work.
Yes, I know we always say spaulders are a good first project.

I would use 18 or 22 gauge mild cold rolled steel.
Also check out the cool patinas from Sculpt Nouveau.

Have you seen the fantasy leather work Prince, here on the archive does?
His work reminds me of your drawings.

Best of luck on your quest little pilgrim.

Hal
Happy Metal Pounding
zachos
Archive Member

Post by zachos »

This is pretty darn cool, but I have a suggestion, if I may. Why not design an armour to be made with various pieces of exchange as in the 16th century. That way, if you make the pieces that form the light armour first, you will have something to wear while you work on the rest of your garnature, which may help to keep you motivated to get stuff done: Hitting those little milestones and getting something back from them would be much more motivating from my point of view.

Also, everything you draw looks so awesome, it'll mean we may get to see it being worn that much quicker.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Thanks for the suggestion zachos, I'll be working on the cloth and leather parts when I can't get to the crucible (if it's too late, or raining, etc)

Now I'm entering the detail and fine-tuning phase, which is, imo, the most fun part to do.

Edit: Halbards, thanks for recommending Sculpt Nouveau, I never thought of using patinas! I'd bet adding some aging composition to the flared feathered edges would look pretty nifty, or maybe adding a cyan patina to any brass parts and giving it a nice polish for a iridescent marbled look... It'll all depend on my color scheme for this suit, I still haven't decided on hot or cool colors. And I have seen prince's work, it's fantastic. I've actually received a job offer from him, but I already have a pretty nice set-up here. Besides, making costumes/armor for a living is very hard work; I think it's difficult enough as it is, as a hobby.

Before you mentioned patinas, I was thinking about heat-treating the steel to a staw/gold color which could match well with a deep crimson or dark russet cloak.

high res: http://imgur.com/LDO4c.gif
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

The top half; ready for detailing! I had a bit of time to spare today, and tried to see how fast I could draw without inadvertently drawing a picture of a TV screen without a channel.

I'm sure the fantasy-syled collar will raise some skepticism, (it certainly does for me, now that I know a thing or two about armor, haha) but I'll see if I can get it to work...if it doesn't, y'all can have a good laugh and share fireside stories about the time Zeth couldn't raise one arm above his head.
Zetheros
Archive Member

Post by Zetheros »

Tristram - Matt Uelmen

It's a shame that grooveshark is now implementing video ads...well, at least they're skippable after 10 seconds.

I got some more detailing done since I had so much time after taking the first part of my GED. The test is a joke; I finished 40 minutes before everyone in there, and completed the second two tests in the time it took for the second test.

I'll be getting my paycheck next Monday, so I'll be searching for stakes and steel next week!
LastKNIGHT
Archive Member

Post by LastKNIGHT »

Almost has a photographic look to it :O