thank you for the inspration (pic's)

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
MadMarcus
Archive Member

thank you for the inspration (pic's)

Post by MadMarcus »

I havn't made much armour in quite a while, so i started reading AA again to see if i could get inspration. Boy did i find some, I have a number of things i want to play with. The first one was viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158178
A big thanks to Mac and Wade for shareing the info on this way to construct a helm.
I went out and tried it, the first one working ok, but I learned so much that I would do differenty that I started a second, here are some progess pic's
Image Image Image
This take me about 6 hours of shaping after I made the shell. Im looking forward to going back out on the weekend to see how much more i can get done.
and thanks to JT for helping me to work out how to post pidc's

Mark
spelling, what a noval concept, I'm prefer to think of my self as creative
Aussie Yeoman
Archive Member

Re: thank you for the inspration (pic's)

Post by Aussie Yeoman »

That looks very handsome!

Is it to be a sallet or barbute? Can we see the first one?
Pitbull Armory
Archive Member

Post by Pitbull Armory »

Nice shape you have going Marcus, Keep up the good work and pics please, Im guessing it will be a sallet,

Have a good week

Pitbull
Hi, Please visit https://www.facebook.com/PITBULL-ARMORY-264094743168/ if you get time. Or contact me at leiderandy@yahoo.com if you have any questions. Take care, Andy @ Pitbull Armory
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

He's outlined a celata on it, Eyetie style. He could as easily lay out a sallet-influenced barbuta on it, same-o same-o. He's doing damned well!
Tableau
Archive Member

Post by Tableau »

Looks excellent! I'm really happy to see people trying out the method from that thread.
Ingvarr
Slut in waiting

Post by Ingvarr »

really sexy lines
Charlotte J wrote:never go full Konstantin!
Mac
Archive Member

Post by Mac »

You go, guy!

That's a nice start. I hope you will keep us posted.

Mac
Robert MacPherson

The craftsmen of old had their secrets, and those secrets died with them. We are not the better for that, and neither are they.

http://www.lightlink.com/armory/
http://www.billyandcharlie.com
https://www.facebook.com/BillyAndCharlie
MadMarcus
Archive Member

Post by MadMarcus »

weather is raining here, so a good day to play in the shop with some hot metal, here is todays procress pics
ImageImageImage
Im happy with the way it is shaping, im learning a lot, see what i can get done tomorrow. Thanks for the comment's any feedback is welcome.
Mark
Scott Martin
Archive Member

Post by Scott Martin »

I'll have to post pics of the sallet I'm working on with very similar lines.

The hourglass curve as seen from the front and back is tres sexy, as is the (appropriately) tall crest. Are you planning on visoring this helm? I need to figure out if I am doing an earlier period (mid 15th) "shovel" front similar to the Tyrol armour, or a bellows visor more appropriate to 1480-1520.

Because visors with spring pins are cool...

I'm doing an articulated tail, so I also need to decide if I'm rolling the edges: if you are doing this as a one piece I'll be interested to see if you decide to roll the entire edge (including the face opening) or visor the helm.

Scott Martin
Vyrn

Post by Vyrn »

Oooh, very nice. Those types of helmets are so damn sexy, I can't get enough of 'em. Keep us posted :D
MadMarcus
Archive Member

Post by MadMarcus »

These are the last pic's for the weekend. I want be in the shop next weekend as im going to Canberra for a friends birthday.
Sallets are my favourt helm, i love the German line, thou this one is more Italian. I was making this mostly as a learning exersice. Thou that being said I'm looking at an open bar face, I have a couple of frinds who like the idea of a lot of air for fighting (SCA). So this week im off to the rivit shop to get some brass rivits, Ive apprealinty run out and havent replaced them yet :? Ive made this helm in 2mm mild steel.
ImageImageImage
Thanks all Mark
Aussie Yeoman
Archive Member

Post by Aussie Yeoman »

That looks really, really good. Will you emboss the brass?

I tried sending you a personal message and an email asking whether you'd half-make one (edited to add: for money, of course, or a longbow) for me....for me to finish. Wondering if you had seen those?
MadMarcus
Archive Member

Post by MadMarcus »

it is best to send me a msg on the AA, I only get to check me normal emal about once a week. One of the problems with the first one i started is it turned out to galvanised, I didnt notice till i headed it and noticed the white smoke, not good stuff to breath. Have you got yourself a heat source set up yet?
Aussie Yeoman
Archive Member

Post by Aussie Yeoman »

Not as yet. That's why I was hoping to get a 'blank' done to planishing stage or something like that. Something that might require a small amount of shaping, then planishing and making nice and pretty. I'm not sure I have the budget to have someone else do all the work for me.

An armourer's forge, as per Eric Thing, is on my 'to-do' list. Then it'll be all go.
Mac
Archive Member

Post by Mac »

MadMarcus wrote: So this week im off to the rivit shop to get some brass rivits, Ive apprealinty run out and havent replaced them yet

Marcus,

Stop! Don't use brass rivets to hold on the trim. The real stuff is almost without exception held on with flush rivets made of brass wire. I describe my procedure here forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94776&hilit

Using rivets with big brass heads is modern esthetics.

Mac
Robert MacPherson

The craftsmen of old had their secrets, and those secrets died with them. We are not the better for that, and neither are they.

http://www.lightlink.com/armory/
http://www.billyandcharlie.com
https://www.facebook.com/BillyAndCharlie
Aussie Yeoman
Archive Member

Post by Aussie Yeoman »

I may be a computer usage failure, as I could not get the link to work.

Here's a couple of threads where Mac lays out his process:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94776&hilit=+brass+wire+flush

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84980&hilit=+brass+wire+flush
Scott Martin
Archive Member

Post by Scott Martin »

I use 1/16" rivets (instead of the 3/32" that Mac uses) and have somewhat different approach - I'll do a write-up at some point...

If you want to use teeney tiny rivets (placed 1/2" - 1" apart) they will tend to reduce the "bulging" that Mac mentrions, since your center spacing is tighter and leads to less opportunity for gapping of the brass. In North America 14 Ga wire (brass and copper) is a hair over 1/16", which makes for some serious Repetitive Stress Injury (RSI) potential forcing wire into small holes.

14 Ga wire works well but I would strongly suggest drawing your wire down to size before using it Buy your wire, drill a 1/16" hole through a chunk of "scrap" material (I used 22 Ga mild and it worked) force the wire into the hole and through for about 3/16" (so you can grab it on the other side with Pliers) then clamp the plate in a vice with the hole less than 1/4" above the vice jaws and pull through.

THEN make your rivets.

I wish that I had known this before putting several hundred lining rivets of this type into a breast and back!

Scott Martin
MadMarcus
Archive Member

Post by MadMarcus »

Its all good Mac, ill play with putting the trim on the way you dicriped, I was meaning to get some brass rivits for around the skull to look like the helmet liner.

Mark
Halberds
Archive Member

Post by Halberds »

Thanks for the wire drawing and rivet info.
I think that is a fine helm. I like it.

I tried to make a cold Barbute and failed miserably.
I sure can appreciate the work that went into this.
Jolly well done and thanks for the pics.

Hal
Tableau
Archive Member

Post by Tableau »

Haha! This is looking really good. Everyone works faster than me it seems. I can't see your last few pictures though. Some photobucket issues, it seems.

Can't wait to see more!
MadMarcus
Archive Member

Post by MadMarcus »

Im sorry I didnt notice that the pic's didnt come over, Im hoping to be able to do some more work on them this weekend.

thanks Mark
Image Image Image
Sean Powell
Archive Member

Post by Sean Powell »

Nice curves, like an attractive woman. :). I look forward to seeing the finished piece with all the brass work.

Sean
MadMarcus
Archive Member

Post by MadMarcus »

I got to spend some time on it this weekend, Im happy with the results. Striving for progress not profection.
ImageImageImage
Aussie Yeoman
Archive Member

Post by Aussie Yeoman »

That looks fantastic!

I don't do SCA so I can't be sure, but I think the red bar grill might need a bit of reinforcement to be SCA legal. :-)
Tableau
Archive Member

Post by Tableau »

Wow! That looks amazing. What gauge did you start with? Do you feel like you lost much material to grinding? How long did it take you to plannish this?

EDIT: I read over the thread and answered one of my own questions. Started with 2mm steel.
Tableau
Archive Member

Post by Tableau »

Wow! That looks amazing. What gauge did you start with? Do you feel like you lost much material to grinding? How long did it take you to plannish this?
MadMarcus
Archive Member

Post by MadMarcus »

I'm not sure how long it take me, as I was still playing with the shape as i was cleaning, i guess about a day. I removed as little material as i could, if you look closely you can still see some of the pit marks and a couple of the course sanding marks. I'm sure what thickness it ended up being, but considering how much metal i had to compress it has to be thicker than 2mm around the temple line.

thank Mark