What is the most amateur friendly helm to make?

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Franchi
Archive Member

Re: What is the most amateur friendly helm to make?

Post by Franchi »

Konstantin the Red wrote:Again, a barrel, just like it says up-thread. And note also the helm skull halves mentioned.

What is it about your forming that disturbs you with the lack of faith? Basic dishing is pretty much entirely a matter of your tools: a heavy hammer and a dished hollow in a stump.
I've never done it before. I've been welding most of my life, operating lathes and mills for years, but I've never done much with a hammer and anvil, despite owning many hammers, several anvils and a small forge. :|

Where can the skull halves be purchased? I tried searching for RFTH with a variety of terms but found nothing.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Can you reach him via Facebook? That's the nearest Rough From The Hammer, or RFH, has to a site right now. People are leaving Dave Rylak messages there, asking about helmet halves.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Now about actually beating a piece of metal: there are helm half patterns in the Pattern Archive, and the process of dishing one is chimp-with-a-rock simple.

Hammer-on-air is only slightly more bothersome; you've got the anvils and now want only a size 3 Garland Mfg. Split Head hammer. Also "EasyPeasyBoss!" (I been watching our Hoodwinked DVD and it's leaving tracks -- "Idontdrinkcoffeemaybeachaitealattè . . .") Ain't cheap, the Garlands, but gawd DAMN are they good.

It was somewhat more bothersome locating the Pattern Archive now that the Archive homepage comes up a blank and the Index does not include it. If you don't know to type /patterns/ after dot-org you have to approach it by Googling on "Armour archive pattern archive" to get at the Pattern Index. Betcha "index" works too. Look at the helmet patterns; all the blanks for halves are that sort of lopsided football shape, maybe with a slice taken out for the brow, maybe not. Shallow curve on the bottom, deeper curve is the crestline.
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Jamesedgarson, you're way the hell over in Ealdormere, and Franchi -- a welder -- is I dunno where. (Finally looks: oh, Ansteorra.) But do you want to spend a little money having him make up a heavy T stake for you, throw him a little side business? The T stake, a/k/a "rivet-setter" needn't have an anticlast limb, and if you can lay hold of a stump or are willing to build a base of your own, it needn't have a base included either. Shipping's a question, what with a national border . . .?

@Franchi: wanna hear the basics of "hammer on air" with a hard anvil and a soft hammer? You'll like the way it curves stuff. You can learn it with 16 gauge (limb & torso armor pieces) and then go to the heavy stuff once you're sure what to expect.

The lighter gauge sheet you can move with a No.2 Garland.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Garland Mfg Split Head Hammers:

The rawhide head works superbly even when thrashed and all raggedy.

Code: Select all

The Size 2:  2 lb head, $47.06 US
 "    "   3:  2.75 lb head, $56.34.
 "    "   4:  4 lb head, $63.36.
The big picture -- 1-5, available faces to suit requirements. You'll wonder how you got along without.
Franchi
Archive Member

Post by Franchi »

Konstantin the Red wrote:Garland Mfg Split Head Hammers:

The rawhide head works superbly even when thrashed and all raggedy.

Code: Select all

The Size 2:  2 lb head, $47.06 US
 "    "   3:  2.75 lb head, $56.34.
 "    "   4:  4 lb head, $63.36.
The big picture -- 1-5, available faces to suit requirements. You'll wonder how you got along without.
I bought a number 3 before I left on vacation based on the advice here, while on vacation I found a number 1 in a junk store and bought it for $10. I should have an opportunity to play with them soon.
Konstantin the Red wrote:Jamesedgarson, you're way the hell over in Ealdormere, and Franchi -- a welder -- is I dunno where. (Finally looks: oh, Ansteorra.) But do you want to spend a little money having him make up a heavy T stake for you, throw him a little side business? The T stake, a/k/a "rivet-setter" needn't have an anticlast limb, and if you can lay hold of a stump or are willing to build a base of your own, it needn't have a base included either. Shipping's a question, what with a national border . . .?

@Franchi: wanna hear the basics of "hammer on air" with a hard anvil and a soft hammer? You'll like the way it curves stuff. You can learn it with 16 gauge (limb & torso armor pieces) and then go to the heavy stuff once you're sure what to expect.

The lighter gauge sheet you can move with a No.2 Garland.
Ive got to figure out the appropriate kit for a 13-14th century border Scot before I start beating on the limb and torso armor (that is a topic for another thread tho).

I live on a large ranch with plenty of woods so stumps are a non-issue.

I would like to hear more about air hammering.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Franchi wrote:I would like to hear more about air hammering.
Yay about stumps! Okay, you'll like this.

Hammer-on-air (orginally a German phrase, I'm told) is a sort of quasi-raising process. In effect, the rawhide hammer becomes the stake around which the metal is formed. This seems to work through the metal "seeing" the hard, highly elastic collision with the anvil's face much more than the soft and inelastic impact with the rawhide hammer face.

1. Easiest way to start out is with a slight dishing of the metal blank. Enough to make it rock a bit.
2. Prop the slightly dished blank on the anvil face; it touches the anvil at just one point.
3. Direct your hammer blows at a point just above the point the metal rests upon the anvil, where there's nothing behind your piece of work but air.
4. Work back and forth along your blank as required. You will notice a quite smooth curvature developing that won't require much planishing. The metal gets more and more wrapped around the hammer head. It does not appear the center of the metal gets stretched out from this, the way dishing/sinking will.

I found it was easy to overdo, working in mild steel. For whacking on metal, noise level was minimal. For stainless, probably use your No.3.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Franchi, 13th and 14th century anyones were all very much like each other for harness.

13th century had hauberks, helms, pairs-of-plates if quite rich, exterior gambesons if not, perhaps even the old 12th-c. cuirie hanging on in the same function. Either of the two may incorporate, or go on over, SCA kidney plating, hint.

14th century depends on the decade. The time began with hauberk and helm as above from 1301, had bascinets going by the beginning of the middle third of the century, finished out in 1400 with nearly complete harness of plate, featuring bascinet, camail for the oldfashioned, the choice of heraldic or nonheraldic jupon, plate limbs -- 14th-c.-mafia gear.

How much of either era you're actually going to put on -- any consideration of decoupling harness from persona aside, as that's purely your own choice and readily justified -- depends on just how comparatively fabulously wealthy your Scottish Borderer is. What with three centuries plus of smash-and-grab around there, with optional burnings of thatch and anything else reasonably combustible, accumulating wealth and capital was very very hard.
jamesedgarson
Archive Member

Post by jamesedgarson »

So...

...shop is nearly completed...and thus I have begun to make a helm!!!...it's a great helm...I have the face and backplate done...looks horrendous but I'm not deterred, it will go to a newbie in the Barony anyways...my problem is making the front and back plates,...what's messing me up is figuring out the correct radius to get that sloop towards the top, know what I mean?

...idea?...oh, cadre of much more knowing!
jamesedgarson
Archive Member

Post by jamesedgarson »

Never mind... :oops:

Went back in the thread and found the answer to my own question!!
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

And now you are buzzing into the entrance of the Hive Mind of Much Experience! -- yeah, how big around does it need to be at the top and how big around it has to be at the bottom, and its overall height. The fitting-trick is trimming the template piece so when it's curled into its proper cone shape its edges are vertical to match up with the forehead plate. So make that template piece for the occiput too wide and trim off to requirement.

Does "horrendous" = not at all smooth yet? If you're bending over pipe and got facets you can curve and blend them yet, hammering over bigger pipe or large-radius curvature in something else.
Ckanite
Archive Member

Post by Ckanite »

Show us pics and we can help you troubleshoot much better than through text only.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

3 weeks on, any news?
jamesedgarson
Archive Member

Post by jamesedgarson »

Yes!...I will be taking some pics potentially tomorrow...just got back from Pennsic and prior that booted the inlaws...THE HECK OUT THE DOOR!!!!!...BOOYAH!!!!....

....so pics a'coming!...be forewarned...it's ugly...ohhhhhhh but it's ugly!...the helm too. :oops:
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

We await the pix with worms in our mouths!
jamesedgarson
Archive Member

Post by jamesedgarson »

Finally..at long last..I have something to post!...below is my take on a Crusader Helm...it's rought, it's ugly,...but I built it from beginning to end...and I am proud.

http://imgur.com/a/LMQ9b

Have a look and let me know what you think.
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

It's done! Good first job.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Ernst wrote:It's done! Good first job.
And it'll work! Yay, loaner hat!
Sevastian
Archive Member

Post by Sevastian »

A worthy first piece! Well done!
Lord Sevastian Agafangilovitch Golytsyn
Cadet to Ancient Guild Mistress Sorcha Careman
Squire to Sir Soren J Alborgh
Познай самого себя

https://www.facebook.com/sonny.merculief
Halberds
Archive Member

Post by Halberds »

Better than my first helm also.
Thanks for sharing.
Happy Metal Pounding
jamesedgarson
Archive Member

Post by jamesedgarson »

So...I am going to keep on-a-keeping on...not really my fault, got out of the shower the other morning and my ladywife says to me "wow...you have a HUGE bite mark right on the back of your neck!"....thought something was bugging me so I go check in the mirror and sure enough, there it is...an anvil shaped mark..all red and angry.......GOT BITE BY THE ARMOURERING BUG!!!!!!..... :shock:

And thus,...I have no choice but to try agian!...I would like to thank you all each and every one...as I hammer things out, I'll post more pics!

yours in gratitude and service,
James Edgarson
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

I've been going on and on about interior fit top caps. This one is Dagorhir-built, for boffer players. It's light in the metal for adult SCA, and SCA calls for twice as many rivets, half as far apart. But it shows an interior fit top cap to advantage, and one well fitted too.
And they made do with seaming the forehead plate together with a riveted join which we wouldn't want even with rough loaners.
Tableau
Archive Member

Post by Tableau »

Nice job James. Looks just like my first barrel helm.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Interesting that you either planned, or lucked into, the way to avoid the 4 Corners 4 Layers situation, so you didn't have to improvise a rivet long enough to get through a full four layers of steel stacking up right there.

You can stagger the vertical side seam a good bit, and completely, well, not altogether duck, but much lessen, the four-layer problem, knocking it down to no worse than three layers -- yeah, sure, in two places on each side. Enough metal in either three layers or four to make flush riveting a real option. Flush rivets like some depth. Same for semi-flush: a flush rivet that rounds up above the surface rather than be completely flush with it.

Width of sights, good; breadth of sights, good. Worked down a solid riveting flange, I see -- took some time, didn't it? -- and that can go smoother with final hammerings upon an anvil (&/or substitute) face to take out the little ripples.* I bet you can get the bend-line where the flange angles over from the top cap straighter with a light pre-dishing of the top cap, and Sharpie-ing in your bend-line so it doesn't wander; you'll have a mark to work to.

*When you hit the ripples, strike at a slight sideways angle, not necessarily straight up and down, and rebound at a slight angle the same direction too. You are trying to make the hammer impact slide an invisible bit and noodge the metal slightly sideways around the circumference of the flange, both flattening the metal and shortening the periphery.

Shortening the piece's total periphery is what makes raising work. The metal must perforce bow and bulge to still be within the new, tightened periphery. Theoretically it thickens the metal slightly at the edges. But it does very little to the metal in the middle of the piece, so you're not in danger of thinning it so much it fatigues and cracks or even has the hammer rip through it. After all that work, that's a real :x :x doublebarrelled pisser.

Next Up: Raising Cops

Sooner or later you're going to be applying this to making cops for knee (easy), shoulder (even easier bcs not as deep) or elbow (tougher, bcs very deep and pointier). Soft-hammer-hard-anvil for the cup parts is really pretty easy. The fan and the corners where fan meets cup is where most of the trouble lies -- the corners will concentrate stress during forming the cup and crack your metal. The secret is no corners, period -- even if corners appear in the finished product. You file them into their final desired shape after you've done with all the hammering. Simple, no? So if you're doing cop & fan in one piece, where the fan springs out should be a radius, a curve.

Another main way to avoid fan corner problems is to rivet the fan on after you've formed the cup -- and formed the lobes of the fan. Which helps fans resist getting bent in on you from low hits, which aren't supposed to count anyway, making the knee fan entirely a piece of safety gear. Doing some sculpting there adorns it handsomely. Creases, domes, conical curvatures, all that.

Shoulder cops are the top pieces of spaudlers, and cup round the point of the shoulder. Method's pretty much self explanatory; you can dish them, they just wrap around your flesh and bone a bit up there, and they hang from your arming-coat with some tied thong. You could strap and buckle a spaud as part of some shoulder harness, but compared to lacing it to the shoulder of an arming coat or gambeson, straps are clumsy. A fitted coat also really keeps your shoulder-muscle armor from flopping back and forth and getting misplaced. A 15th-c. type independent spaudler gets a strap and buckle down at its other end. In the 14th, they permanently attached the spaudler-like articulations to the top end of the rerebrace, in one with the rest of the arm. The 15th loosened that up.

Knees are bigger and deeper and may have fans -- laterally, on the outside. They'll snag on the inside of your knee, so avoid putting 'em there. The have a rather large radius to their cup and are getting on to hemispherical in shape, like about 2/3 of a hemisphere. Same goes for your knee itself, it's like a lumpy hemisphere when flexed tight. They could be made entirely by dishing; raising, while more demanding, is also more flexible and doesn't thin and stretch the metal in the middle of the cop.

Elbow cops really require a raising method unless you make two halves and weld these together, like most (reasonably sensible) people. Flex your elbow all the way and look at it: much pointier than your knee doing the same thing. The point of your elbow is pretty much a lumpy cone shape, and elbow cops have to be pretty conical too. Even with all that, you also notice your elbow joint does not close completely like a nutcracker's levers -- there is an acute angle between upper arm and forearm. Advanced-model elbow cops' fans are formed to that angle, and to wrap around the forearm and upper arm somewhat, making very tight protection of each arm against a lance thrust. Cool, huh?
Last edited by Konstantin the Red on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Coping with making slot breaths in the ventail is really very straightforward too. Using a 1/4" or 5/16" bit, drill 3 or 4 holes right next to each other, overlapping a trifle if you can manage it: OOO or OOOO; those are close to life size. Slightly overlapped holes will leave some fangs intruding into the breath. Take a small rat-tail file to these, or a chainsaw file. If the result is untidy, clean up with a small, flat mill-file. A triangular file is good for making another pattern of slot breath, one with a diamond in the middle of the vertical bar, shaped like =<>=. Such slots are primarily vertical. The Bolzano helm-style sideways-T slot is something of an exception. They preferred the oblong breaths in vertical orientation; I don't know why. Anyway, you convert ooo to [], about |_____| that long. Lets plenty of light and air through.

Overlapped holes are easy with a small drill press. With a hand drill, they take patience. If the ventail is curved already, support it in a wooden cradle so you don't have to wrestle, and you may prefer to drill it from the inside to help keep the bit located, though from outside works too if you take it in steps. Lay out the array, mark, centerpunch deeply, drill pilot holes in there first, then final diameter ones -- o o o into OOO. You're compensating for not having the rock-steady hold of the drill press.
Halberds
Archive Member

Post by Halberds »

This helm top from my old kit is made from a 10ga. 6" steel fence post cap.
It is riveted with 1/8" steel rivets.

Here it is in the kit form:

I hammered it oval with a rawhide mallet.
This gives it a nice shape for a great helm top.

Quite simple and robust me thinks. YMMV

Hal
Happy Metal Pounding
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Though It Shouldn't Vary Very Much -- TISVVM 'cuz I'm verbosely verbose.

Post cap or weldable-steel pipe cap...? That's what it looks like. Those things weld up into 'shroom stakes, good for planishing and the shallower sorts of curvatures. As stakes, you'd want to fill in inside with welded webs radiating out from center for unyielding strength. I never ever thought of taking a pipe cap and modifying it for a helm's top cap -- brilliant! They come in lots of diameters, starting as small as ... oh my. Here's one, 2", in 304 stainless, as may do for a near-sugarloaf 5-plate. Bet that's just one of the materials they use. Sharpe Products' page tables a whole range of sizes and you can seriously go to ten-gauge-metal town with 'em. Wowee. Most of us'd not be using a punch for metal that beefy.

Jamesedgarson, note how his kit put a whole platoon of small rivets in there.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Staying interested, I went searching the site on greathelm construction. We've written a bit. Some gleanings:
Swansman wrote:. . . when you bend the top pieces make sure you do it slowly and evenly on both sides. Start on one side then the other side, then go back again, etc. making small bends each time. That way you have better control of the bends.
This would be every seam up there, where most of the bending, hammering, and hammer-noodging takes place: the top cap and left and right side seams. Back and forth from one side to the other is generally good practice anyway.

Later in that same post:
Swansman wrote:The last piece you should make is the bottom front piece. [the Ventail plate -- KtR] Using cardboard or whatever first should be good, this way the nasal should fit better too. I see that you have made a crease in it. Something that can help with making the crease "sharper" looking is to have a block of wood with a 'V' cut in it and having a very dull hand chisel. Place the already curved piece on the block of wood and hammer the dull chisel lightly for a couple of passes. A little clean up and you should have a nice sharp looking crease. Next time you should crease in the nasal. The front bottom piece get set on top of all the other pieces (which you have done) mark out the holes, drill, rivet, rivet, rivet, rivet.... and rivet some more
http://home.armourarchive.org/members/h ... sembly.pdf Slatback helms can always have bits changed out to make solid-naped helms. His method of working a tab top is well illustrated in the PDF.
As he's working on the tab top:
Draw line and scour score with a blunt chisel.
Another tab-top, steps illustrated w/line drawings:
http://www.arador.com/armour/how-to-make-a-great-helm/
Again, any tab topped pattern can make a solid-flange top cap. Any of the more slopy tabbed-top helm patterns can be fitted with interior-fit top caps. The bend line for the flange would be drawn slightly (about 1/8" at most) inside the bend line for an exterior-fit cap.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=147446 "Weel... it's green." [/Mr. Scott]

A variation on the bowling ball bash -- lift & drop it:
Kase Villand wrote:The other thing to do- and this is what I do- is to get an old bowling ball (ask the local bowling alley for the most beaten-up 15lb house ball they have), and glue a wood dowel into the thumb hole. Using a stump, or the ground, as a dishing form, pick up the ball by the dowel with your thumb up and the ball just under the 'meat' of your hand. With this grip, you can quite literally drop the ball onto the metal. The only work your arm is doing is to pick up the ball repeatedly, and if you do it right, there's no impact shock. I call this gorilla-hammering. I have a number of ball-stakes that I use in this manner as well, once I've gotten a piece dished past the 'first stage' with the bowling ball.
Works every bit as well for small slight dishes as great big globose 15th-c. breastplates that you can pack a fighting lunch and a boda of drink inside. That's not my joke: it's just a riff on one Charles II made in the middle seventeenth century. ". . . Had Sir Arthur been victualled as well as fortified, he might have endured a siege!"
jamesedgarson
Archive Member

Post by jamesedgarson »

Greetings Cousins,

So, this is my second helm attempt...I tried to do the tab top as Halberd had mentioned...came out...well, have a look...I've been using 14g cold rolled...what I find is it feels a bit "light"...now, it should be noted that I fight in an Old Ashcroft-Baker 12g spengenhelm...it's a tank,...so when I get clocked in the melon it 'thuds' instead of 'rings'....I posted on my facebook page that I was considering dropping down to 12g and IMMEDIATELY had others replying that 12g was over-kill....but I don't know...for a newbie helm I'd rather err on strength than making it easier on my hands to build with...

What think you?
jamesedgarson
Archive Member

Post by jamesedgarson »

forgot to add the link...that's what happens when your ladywife and heir are watching 'squirrel-catapult' vids on youtube while you type!!!

http://imgur.com/a/YQjQD
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Crazy-ass furry Airborne squirrels dropping out of the skies at you like tiny drop-bears.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Helm No.2! You're beginning to smooth out. Making your way up that learning curve. Would I be right in guessing the next thing you'll get quite clever with is the top-tab bends? Whipped out a link for ya up there.

Do you think you'll be ready to start making conical bends for forehead and occiput on No.3? I think you're ready; they are a lot like cylindrical bends like you've done; certainly no harder to do. Do you need a walk-through before starting? Advise.

Ventail: I see you have run into the faceted-bending thing, which comes of the metal bending on the dotted line made by a row of breaths -- see, it's the weakest spot and so will resist bending the least. There are lots of ways to smooth this out into a round curve or at least to minimize this; puts some more arrows in your quiver.

You can do things in the metal of the ventail itself, and you can elaborate your bending technique -- using a length of steel pipe and a soft mallet. And you can modify when you drill your breaths too.

The metal itself: you see what it does with relatively few rows of biggish breaths -- metal bends easiest right there where you took some out. Imagine maybe 3 times as many breaths, each hole about half as wide. These rows of holes get rather crammed in closer together and the extras probably go in more rows farther out on each cheek, to each side of the ventail plate, right? Well now, any facets that happen when you bend that plate are little tiny facets much closer together and less obvious to the eye, right? Sneaky, yes? And easy enough for you to bend too.

The way to escape faceting entirely is to bend first, then drill, either working from the inside, or centerpunching hard and deep before drilling from the outside. Either way works; it's a little harder than drilling with the metal flat. A trick of drilling little pilot holes while it's still flat, then bending (not so much metal is taken out, leaving a lot to be strong along there), and finishing them off in final diameter also works, probably lands somewhere in between for any faceted-bend effect -- might facet a little bit, which might not bother you at all. You might even do a loaner's ventail that way just to see how it comes out, drilling and bending like that. Clear so far?

That goes mighty easy and quick with a drill press. Small light duty ones are not monstrous costly. (OT: Some slightly nutty mailler guys have even devised ways to coil mail wire on a drill press with a mandrel rod chucked into it. Use caution and some kind of feeding tool to steer the wire, though: a geared down slow turning drill press delivers lots of power. Can get a man wrapped up in the work. :shock: Ouch! This is really a vertical version of the usual horizontal power-winding method. The feeder-thingie needs to be free-moving up and down, so it should be some kind of handle shape.)

Refining the bending method: faceted bending happens with either weakened zones in the metal, as you've got, or with (being satisfied with) rather crude bending of the metal with a mallet over steel pipe, or with a length of steel pipe clubbing the metal into a gap between 2 2x4s. So, Step One -- beat some dang facets into there, all the way from one side to the other. Don't make the ventail fully bent all the way round yet. Step Two -- go back and beat each facet into two facets with more hitting, so there are twice as many facets half as wide. The ventail is now a little tighter bent, closer to done. Step Three -- subdivide each of these halves the same way -- and hit softer, so these subdividing bends aren't so pronounced. Step Four is optional -- use a bigger steel pipe or a nice round fence post to make bigger-radius bends that won't be facets at all. About in these last steps you've bent the ventail all the way around in the half circle it needs.

You can use faceted bending to keep track of your work, so facets are not all bad. You quickly get to the point where you're just making several dozen little slight bends from one side to the other right from the beginning. Facets can always be re-bent down the middle of each facet.

You can make the ventail extra wide (and the nape a little narrower side to side) to stagger the vertical side seams if you like. I see you've got the 4-corner join down, good job.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Re: . . . amateur friendly helm to make? Conical bends

Conical bends related to facets -- facets can tell you how to get a conical bend going.

A cylindrical bending over/with a steel pipe gives bends and facets that are parallel, straight up the plate.

With a forehead plate that is cut in a curved shape like the patterns show, that bend and the right and left edges tapering from wide at the bottom, the sight level, to narrower at the top -- start bending this straight down the centerline in the middle of the piece, over the steel pipe. Next bend you pound in, first one side then the other of the centerline bend, bend it close to the centerline bend at the top and farther from the centerline bend at the bottom.

Continue back and forth, side to side, splaying the bend lines from close together at the top edge to farther apart at the bottom edge, producing faceted bends that converge, producing a faceted conical shape. They'll be arranged about like /_|_\. Then as above, start bending in between the bends you've made, working until your forehead plate has made it around to 180 degrees, making the bend facets smaller, narrower, gentler as you go. A large diameter curvature can give it the final finish and turn every flattish facet into a gentle, even curve. And your metalwork becomes glorious, your "ugly but serviceable loaners" becoming averagely pretty.

What makes really really pretty? -- finish (takes time), and fancy-cut breaths, perhaps refinements to sights like Pembridge-type anti-lance lips bent into the metal.

Finish maybe not so fine... and a Loaner piece to boot -- or, uh, to head? Prime and paint; spraycan's good enough. If rust is happening, Rust Reformer, which makes a good primer, but if you put regular primer over RR, that's totally fine too, followed by a coat of a desired, no doubt very identifiable, color...

In-sloping forehead and occiputal plates make it easier to bend any kind of top cap riveting flange. Unlike the big-cap models, the flange doesn't have to bend 90 degrees. Not |¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|, but more /¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\. I'm trying to show roughly comparative sizes.

If any bend is really too much of a bend, pound it back out a bit. Bending less at any given stage is usually better than bending more. You get back to it later with the further bending.
Last edited by Konstantin the Red on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

http://www.bladeturner.com/pattern/ab_g ... thelm.html

Alan Bauldree's helm pattern. The four little squares are clickable.

Would I add a nasaloid poking up from the middle of the No.4 (ventail) plate on its centerline? -- you damn betcha. The upper-half plates, the two lefthand pics, show off the differing tapers of the two, describing surface segments of a very tall narrow cone in back and a broader, squatter cone in front.