Dusting off the cobwebs

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Mac
Archive Member

Re: Dusting off the cobwebs

Post by Mac »

I began by asking Fedx online help function whether they would accept the box as a suitable shipping container. The next day I got a dismissive snotogram that said they would have to know what was in it.

I went and got a quote from my local Fedx place, and was unpleasantly surprised. It was going to be over $1,100 to ship. I got an online quote from UPS, and it was very similar.

The current plan is to have it carried as baggage by a friend who is traveling to England anyway.

Mac
Robert MacPherson

The craftsmen of old had their secrets, and those secrets died with them. We are not the better for that, and neither are they.

http://www.lightlink.com/armory/
http://www.billyandcharlie.com
https://www.facebook.com/BillyAndCharlie
Galileo
Archive Member

Post by Galileo »

For that price, *you* could go to England and deliver it in person. Geez.
Dia Mathessos, Dynamis

Member#71
Signo
Archive Member

Post by Signo »

It does not surprise me as to ship a tiny book from the US, the postal servive was willing to charge 26 dollars (the book was 22) ........
Indianer
Archive Member

Post by Indianer »

Fancy idea: Wear it and board the plane in full armour? :) The friend, that is... migth save the bucks for the baggage as well^^
Peter Spätling
Archive Member

Post by Peter Spätling »

I bought a book for 2 Dollars some time ago, and the shipping from the US was cheaper than buying it in the UK!
wcallen
Archive Member

Post by wcallen »

Ahh the fun of shipping.

Now you know why I have had SEVERAL 3 day trips to England over the last few years. Getting armour through customs and airport security is no big deal.

Wade
August Patron

Post by August Patron »

Regular readers will obviously have noticed that this thread has 'gone dark'... It is, of course, Mac's blog, not mine (although I think he may be away at the moment), but the reason is very simple. The project has been completed. Thanks to the kind offices if the courier Mac arranged, the remaining parts arrived in England on 31st October, and earlier to-day I picked them up from him at the re-enactor's fair at Ryton-on-Dunsmore, thus bringing to an end a project that started with an e-mail from me to Mac over 16 years ago. I don't suppose either of us ever imagined that it would take anything like this long, but I just feel immensely privileged that Mac has made this armour for me.

Despite having spent many hours at Mac's workshop, acting, as I joked, as a human mannequin, curiously enough, I have never yet had it all on all at the same time (not even with the previous backplate). However, now that it is all here, we will be having a 'dress rehearsal' when my 'squire' can find the time, with (hopefully!) a full photo-shoot next June. Obviously I will keep Mac fully informed, and should he wish to share some of the images here, I would be more than happy.

A.P.
The Iron Dwarf
Archive Member

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

I wish I had a chance to meet Mac, I am trading at the reenactors market at ryton.
David Hodges AKA the iron dwarf though I am listed there as glendon forge ( which is my address )
forges, stake plates, tools and lots more

want to join ebid? its free to join as a buyer
http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/52487

Nanus Ferreus
"you're even more devious than Aaron!" an anon forum poster!
The Iron Dwarf
Archive Member

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

sorry, thought Mac delivered it, I made a mistake
forges, stake plates, tools and lots more

want to join ebid? its free to join as a buyer
http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/52487

Nanus Ferreus
"you're even more devious than Aaron!" an anon forum poster!
Ckanite
Archive Member

Post by Ckanite »

I surely hope he does share the full suite of pictures here. It would be the best way to wrap this whole thing up with a bow.
Zubeydah
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by Zubeydah »

I, too, hope the photos are shared here.
It's been a remarkable and inspiring opportunity to follow this journey between artist and art.
Mac
Archive Member

Post by Mac »

Zubeydah wrote:I, too, hope the photos are shared here.
It's been a remarkable and inspiring opportunity to follow this journey between artist and art.
Ckanite wrote:I surely hope he does share the full suite of pictures here. It would be the best way to wrap this whole thing up with a bow.
I believe that my August Patron is planning a photo shoot in an historic location. I will post any pics he gives me leave to share. He photographs professionally, so the artistically coolest ones will probably be available on Alamy with the usual sort of terms, fees and conditions.

Mac
Robert MacPherson

The craftsmen of old had their secrets, and those secrets died with them. We are not the better for that, and neither are they.

RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

That is pretty excellent news to hear today MAC! Cannot wait to see this thing all setup and on the client.

RPM
Mac
Archive Member

Post by Mac »

Yesterday I wrote out the first draft of the instructions for putting the armor on, and sent it to my August Patron for comment. I imagine we will go back and forth a couple of times with that document before we are both satisfied.... at which time I will have truly completed the project.

Mac
Robert MacPherson

Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

I am glad that this amazing project is done! I hope that people have been saving a copy of this thread for the day that this forum goes down and does not come back up. I wish I had more words in me.

A painting by Michael Pachter from 1465 has the same pair of staples and pair of straps over the back of the greaves:

To my 14th century eyes, that is too much exposed leather, but I guess using one strap to hold the greave shut and one to hold the demigreave in place would work, and more length of strap to help pop the back of the greave inside the front of the greave might help.
DIS MANIBUS GUILLELMI GENTIS MCLEANUM FAMILIARITER GALLERON DICTI
VIR OMNIBUS ARTIBUS PERITUS
Check out Age of Datini: European Material Culture 1360-1410
Scott
Archive Member

Post by Scott »

I was just thinking about this thread this morning, and it occurred to me that what it really needs is an index!

Maybe just the starting page for each piece or technique. For example, if I wanted to see how the spring pins were made, what page would I go to?

Note: I am not volunteering! :D
Although I would love to read through this entire thread from the start again, I simply do not have the time to do so.

- Scott
Woodswork Armory
Archive Member

Post by Woodswork Armory »

Scott wrote:I was just thinking about this thread this morning, and it occurred to me that what it really needs is an index!

Maybe just the starting page for each piece or technique. For example, if I wanted to see how the spring pins were made, what page would I go to?

Note: I am not volunteering! :D
Although I would love to read through this entire thread from the start again, I simply do not have the time to do so.

- Scott
I would love this, I keep coming back to this thread once a week or so and going through every single page for a few hours to find one thing. This would truly be great
Zubeydah

Post by Zubeydah »

I am working on a sort-of index of this thread. I'm about halfway through.
EG:
Page 37: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169445&start=1260
More discussion of austinitizing temperatures: “Don't be like me. Take more notes and look back at them sometimes.” Mac begins heat treating the cuisses. Documents process and best-practices. Tip: When removing straps for heat treating, circle the holes that have the correct tension. Tip: Trace the outlines of the main plates, so you have a reference to return them to if they warp. Mac demonstrates cold runs to test whether the wiring that holds the armor pieces will work. Test the in-process and exit process. Mac begins final tempering and warp remediation, and provides examples of bracing and wiring techniques to reduce the warping. He takes time to note and mourn the passing of Will McLean (Galleron) who has been serving as his body-stand in. Mac returns to warp remediation: torching doesn’t work, but time in the kiln with pieces bolted together and braces in place does. Mac stops armoring to make a Memorial badge for Will’s funeral service, and discusses that process.
Mac
Archive Member

Post by Mac »

Zubeydah wrote:I am working on a sort-of index of this thread. I'm about halfway through.
Wow! I am touched that you are taking the time for this massive undertaking. :oops:

It will certainly be useful for people to be able to use your index to find the goodies without having to read the whole dang thread.

I look forward to seeing it!

Mac
Robert MacPherson

Zubeydah

Post by Zubeydah »

Mac wrote:Wow! I am touched that you are taking the time for this massive undertaking. :oops: It will certainly be useful for people to be able to use your index to find the goodies without having to read the whole dang thread. I look forward to seeing it!
Mac
Sir, I have deeply admired and enjoyed reading your insights and seeing your artistry come to life through this thread. While I don't wear armor or make armor, and I don't have volumes of data or links to useful sources... this I can do to in a small way contribute to the awesomeness that is your undertaking of instruction and dialogue with this thread. :)

-zubeydah
Mac
Archive Member

Post by Mac »

Zubeydah wrote:
Sir, I have deeply admired and enjoyed reading your insights and seeing your artistry come to life through this thread. While I don't wear armor or make armor, and I don't have volumes of data or links to useful sources... this I can do to in a small way contribute to the awesomeness that is your undertaking of instruction and dialogue with this thread. :)

-zubeydah
Madam, your kind words continue to embarrass me. :oops:

Mac
Robert MacPherson

Zubeydah

Post by Zubeydah »

I've finished the summary, and sent it off to Mac for his review and editing. It took about 21 hours to complete - far less time, I believe, than he spent doing the filing on buckles for this project... :D
Zubeydah

Post by Zubeydah »

jenzinas
Archive Member

Post by jenzinas »

Thank you for doing this Zubeydah.
Zubeydah

Post by Zubeydah »

It was my pleasure and privilege. :)
Sean Powell
Archive Member

Post by Sean Powell »

Mac wrote:
I believe that my August Patron is planning a photo shoot in an historic location. I will post any pics he gives me leave to share. He photographs professionally, so the artistically coolest ones will probably be available on Alamy with the usual sort of terms, fees and conditions.

Mac
Someone was asking me about GOOD reproduction pieces of armor and I wanted to show of this complete suit. Is there any chance that the photoshoot was published?

Sean
wcallen
Archive Member

Post by wcallen »

We would all like to see the photos.

Until then, this isn't a bad shot of a decent modern armour:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/l ... olumn.html

There are plenty of other pictures of several of his armours - google tobias capwell armor. There is nice stuff in the video on the Richard III armour too... Some good stuff shows up in the Nova special on the Wasson/Greenwich armour.....

Wade
Chuck Davis
Archive Member

Post by Chuck Davis »

That maille looks too long for my taste.
wcallen
Archive Member

Post by wcallen »

That was Toby wearing the armour in its most over the top Italian style display. Lots of, and layers of mail. He later wore it in a more Flemish fashion, and had things adapted to that or a more English taste. So most of the mail went away (still has the short mini-skirt-like bit from the fauld and the left elbow was cusped to match the hind tasse and an effigy.

After I get the legs and gauntlets I will try to build a new stand and get some more pictures of it in its less mail-centric form. The legs and gauntlets should be here today.... can't wait.

Wade
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

wcallen wrote:That was Toby wearing the armour in its most over the top Italian style display. Lots of, and layers of mail. He later wore it in a more Flemish fashion, and had things adapted to that or a more English taste. So most of the mail went away (still has the short mini-skirt-like bit from the fauld and the left elbow was cusped to match the hind tasse and an effigy.

After I get the legs and gauntlets I will try to build a new stand and get some more pictures of it in its less mail-centric form. The legs and gauntlets should be here today.... can't wait.

Wade
Are you saying that he sold it and you bought part or all?

The price of his alla antica was scary low (asking GBP 5500 in 2008). If I ever buy a complete armour again, I will wait until I can pay more cash than the armourer asks for, because one of my armourers lost money on the project and I doubt another earned more than $5 an hour.
wcallen
Archive Member

Post by wcallen »

Sean, you are behind the times....

:)

I bought the cuirass, pauldrons and arms (by Per) then later when he was playing with his new cuirass, I bought the legs and gauntlets (by Jeff Wasson).

The parts I bought first are here:
http://www.allenantiques.com/R-37.html
At the bottom you see it with my personal legs added to sort of fill it out. At the moment it also has a pair of gauntlets I made hanging off of it.

The legs and gauntlets should be in my hands later today.....

I don't expect to get the helmet out of him, but I will try if it ever becomes possible. The helmet was the same one he wore for years with several harnesses. It started out as the armet for his English armour by Mac.

Wade
wcallen
Archive Member

Post by wcallen »

I didn't get that good a deal...

I seem to be supporting the creation of his next harness.

And I don't think many armourers make much money at all on the cool commissions. We are all terrible at estimating work time.

Wade
Woodswork Armory
Archive Member

Post by Woodswork Armory »

wcallen wrote:I didn't get that good a deal...

I seem to be supporting the creation of his next harness.

And I don't think many armourers make much money at all on the cool commissions. We are all terrible at estimating work time.

Wade
I can attest to that, I was planning on making cheap gauntlets to sell and I have over 40 hours alone on these milanese gauntlets now.. I'm learning at the same time so I should be excused but there's no way someone will give me 400 for them to just break under minimum wage, i'm probably looking at 5 dollars an hour.

Well, here's what they look like right now, the thumb plates are giving me major trouble, other than that they're finished.

edit : Should note, i'm not a "big" guy, i'm in a pose where a breastplate would be on me and my arms would be out.. i'm actually a twig weighing in at 140. Perfect for some slim gothic armor!
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

wcallen wrote:And I don't think many armourers make much money at all on the cool commissions. We are all terrible at estimating work time.

Wade
Yeah, that is why I do not think it is honourable for me to commission custom armour any more, at least not from shops in expensive countries. Piotr seems to be doing OK, but I don't know any new North American armourer in the past 20 years who has started full-time work making plate armour and kept in full-time business for a decade. It seems to always wreck their bodies and their finances.

I thought I had figured out to make my 1360s guanti di ferro in the Florentine style an OK business proposition (single items earn a higher piece rate than a whole harness, gauntlets can be batched with others of a similar style), but I failed and by the time hildebrandt was finally able to finish them I had no savings left to chip in above the agreed-upon price.