Titanium, 301 Spring Stainless, Mild Steel Destruction Video

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Vermillion
Archive Member

Titanium, 301 Spring Stainless, Mild Steel Destruction Video

Post by Vermillion »

Sir Mrks from here on the archive, does some comparitive destruction testing of armor grade Titanium, 301 Stainless Spring (like) Steel, and mild Steel of various gauges in the following video.

Very informative ! I've never seen armor grade Titanium destruction testing before. Ti is extremely tough armor, but Wow when it fails, it fails CATASTROPHICALLY ! Literally shatters.

He did this on very short notice as a visual example of the different properties of the material for some other interested people. It was not meant to be an all comprehensive armor study.

Thanks Sir Mrks ! :)

http://youtu.be/hDtGGVbPi2I
Vermillion On the Archive
Christian Von Beckner In the Society
---------------------------
"Pro Deus et mi Patris"
Vermillion
Archive Member

Re: Titanium, 301 Spring Stainless, Mild Steel Destruction V

Post by Vermillion »

Some additional remarks from Mrks in response to my comments in a Facebook discussion.

the shattering is characteristic of titanium failing. some of the strikes in the thinner gauges were close to the edge( I blew up about 75 bucks or more worth of metal so was a bit stingy in my targets) so they just sheared off instead of shattering. when cold dishing titanium it fails exactly like in the pickax video. to be give an example of how overblown the force generated by pickax force was: the 14ga over dished helmet was dented by a rock bigger than a basketball lifted over my head and struck with as much force as I and my knight could manage the generate. we had to lie it on its side to actually change its shape.
Vermillion On the Archive
Christian Von Beckner In the Society
---------------------------
"Pro Deus et mi Patris"
mrks
Archive Member

Re: Titanium, 301 Spring Stainless, Mild Steel Destruction V

Post by mrks »

as research this is very poorly done. I wanted to show the author who asked the question some of the characteristics of failure.

little bit of follow up: please note the thicker gauges(the .071(15 ga) and .080(16ga) I found after the video was taken) of titanium did not shatter and had much less penetration than the mild steel at a much thinner gauge. I think 12 ga ti would have bounced it. also know that the 6222 alloy of titanium I like to make SCA armour with is very hard but much more brittle than some of the softer more forgiving alloys like al6-4v. the (the .071(15 ga) a6-4v did not shatter.

the 18ga 301 FH was like paper. its performance was close the 16ga shaped mild so dont think that spring or spring stainless will perform any better. none of the magical metals in a thin gauge will protect against a sharp point with that amount of force behind it.

will try a six pound sledge when my wife from traveling.
EDIT: decided that a sledge would destroy more metal than the pick. so decided not to do the experiment.
sirmrks
mostly retired but still producing as a hobby.
am tired of making Titanium and 301 SS finger gauntlets
but still offer DIY shaped 301SS fingertip kits for $60 shipped.
usually can ship next day.