Introduction and High Medieval mail project

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
coreythompsonhm
Archive Member

Re: Introduction and High Medieval mail project

Post by coreythompsonhm »

Wedge riveted done right will not break at the overlap from riveting failure. There are certain mechanics that are in play that must be understood when making wedge riveted maille.
Andeerz
Archive Member

Post by Andeerz »

I have been thinking about making watershed swaging tongs, and I think it might not be too difficult in principle. I think what could give the right shape, or at least the approaching the right shape, is using a rotary tool with a cylindrical grinding surface of an appropriate diameter, perhaps the same diameter as the rings. Imagine taking such a tool at a 45 degree angle to a flat surface. The chunk it would take out would make a depression with an inverse, curved watershed, sort of like an inverse sand dune. And I could imagine using, instead of a rotary tool, a hardened steel cylinder of the same shape and taking an annealed jaw of the tongs and striking it upon it on the edge at a 45 degree angle or so to imprint the shape, perhaps making a deeper imprint or shallower one depending on the size of the rings (alternatively/in addition, the diameter of the cylindrical form could vary). Then finish it off with fine files to put the divot in the center for the rivet and grooves extending from the sides to accommodate the wire outside of the overlap if necessary. I hope this makes sense. Perhaps a picture would be better...

What do you think?
Last edited by Andeerz on Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

J. Salazar wrote:All the same, I'm happy to say I've completely solved my piercing issues by making a pair of piercing tongs. For now it is on to the drudgery of mass-producing rings. Any advice on keeping my sanity would be greatly appreciated.
MP3 player, loaded full of tunes, earbuds, shirt pocket. And keep the earbud wire snubbed up enough to stay out of your work. I like bagpipe music for mailmaking, thinking the primitive tonality and the primitive military tech here go well together, like peanut butter into a grilled cheese sandwich. Some baroque is also good -- a unified whole made up of thousands of little pieces assembled.

For something less electronic and more social, a mailling buddy of fascinating conversation who understands what you're at, and does it as well as you do. This needs you to make two pair of piercing tongs.
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
Mark D. Chapman
Archive Member

Post by Mark D. Chapman »

I encourage you to think medieval technology. Ask yourself how would they make setting tongs in the 14th century and then try it that way.

Mark
Mark D. Chapman
Andeerz
Archive Member

Post by Andeerz »

In that case, an appropriately rounded corner of a hard metal object (harder than the annealed tong surface) with a sharp enough edge would do the trick, no? This object could be the end of a punch of high carbon steel of a circular cross section of diameter (at least on the end) on the order of the ring diameter. It wouldn't need to be high precision in terms of the shape, so long as the end is ground flat such that the circular edge is sharp enough. If things are off a few degrees or a mm or so, it would still be fine. The precision would have tp be during the actual punching of the jaw surface. I believe all of this is very much within the scope of medieval (or earlier) tech, though I am well aware what i suggest is wild speculation.
Indianer
Archive Member

Post by Indianer »

Hello J. Salazar, hello folks!

I have a question regarding your setup, mayhaps you have a look into this from time to time...

It´s about the drift fastened in your dremel chuck, the one you use to create the rivet slots. I am wondering what it might have been...? Or, is it self-made and hardened?

And: I bought exactly the same arbor press you use. It comes with a strange black ring that fits over the arbors "transmission barrel". Did you find out what purpose it should serve?

Since we are at it, did you optimize your setup meanwhile? Any further, i mean? :)

Hope you´re well, same to you folks. Best, Indi
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Hello Salazar,
I hope you are still active, and I am still very curious how you did your amazing piece of maille. In particular the punched rings are in my opinion spot on! Could you please show us your setup?
Greetings
Dennis
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

Dennis wrote:Hello Salazar,
I hope you are still active, and I am still very curious how you did your amazing piece of maille. In particular the punched rings are in my opinion spot on! Could you please show us your setup?
Greetings
Dennis
I think he may be busy with a new baby at home so there may be some delay in his answer.
Dan Howard
Archive Member

Post by Dan Howard »

Tom B. wrote:
Dennis wrote:Hello Salazar,
Greetings
Dennis
I think he may be busy with a new baby at home so there may be some delay in his answer.
He is occupied making a onesie from mail.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment by Pen & Sword books.