IWTB a Hospitaller 1230-1250

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

B. Patricius

Re: IWTB a Hospitaller 1230-1250

Post by B. Patricius »

it's interesting where the crosses were placed in that illumination above. I'm wondering if it was simply done for the illustration, or if there was another reason. As far as all my research goes, which is quite a bit extensive, the Templars at least always wore their cross over their breast. Very cool secondary source regardless!
"Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes ~ Sr Arthur Conan Doyle
spearweasel
Archive Member

Later Period Hospitaller?

Post by spearweasel »

I know a certain someone. She is a Briton, of partial Maltese ancestry, and desirous of joining the fun on the SCA heavy field.

It is her desire to play a Hospitaller persona, as she is fascinated by the "Knights of Malta" connection - not fixated on the Crusades, specifically. She has her heart set on a barbute helmet, as she likes both the aesthetics and the relatively open face of it. Because we live in Ansteorra, she'd prefer to wear a white tabard for the heat, but she wants the red Maltese Cross as well... doesn't want to be mistaken for a Knight Templar.

On the other hand, our friends keep trying to recruit her into the 14th Century Mafia.

How does one fit all of this together? How to navigate these treacherous shoals?
If you were a poor Indian with no weapons, and a bunch of conquistadors came up to you and asked where the gold was, I don't think it would be a good idea to say, "I swallowed it. So sue me."

-Jack Handey
dartaghan
Archive Member

Post by dartaghan »

I cannot find any illustrations or information on the armor/look of a Hospitaller in the 14th century. This thread is devoted to the 13th as are all the websites I can find. I do not want to buy/wear maille armor and I like the protection and look of plate armor, so I thought a 1350-1360 would be a good time period to look toward. Anyone have ideas for me please?
Ranif
Archive Member

Post by Ranif »

dartaghan wrote:I cannot find any illustrations or information on the armor/look of a Hospitaller in the 14th century. This thread is devoted to the 13th as are all the websites I can find. I do not want to buy/wear maille armor and I like the protection and look of plate armor, so I thought a 1350-1360 would be a good time period to look toward. Anyone have ideas for me please?
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/n ... directlink
1350-1400
Ranif
Nullus anxietas amicus
Carpe argillam

"Sorry, would you repeat that?
Couldn't understand you through the whining"
Gavin Kilkenny.
dartaghan
Archive Member

Post by dartaghan »

Thank you. I just got a black cloak with white cross from the kult of athena webstore and was worried. This shows I will be ok! It was a good price too. My next purchase has to be a decent set of gauntlets, shield, a ready made rattan sword and a lighter set of plate leggings.
Giles de Nablus
Archive Member

Post by Giles de Nablus »

https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 7582_n.jpg

Company of St. Augustine at War of the wings during procession...
dartaghan
Archive Member

Post by dartaghan »

double post. squash.
Last edited by dartaghan on Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dartaghan
Archive Member

Post by dartaghan »

I think my kit is done circa 1370. When I get home, I will put it all on, get a picture and some feedback. I have taken a little artistic license with it. I bought the merctailor arms/legs/espauliers (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166192), bought a red coat of plates and sugar loaf from Volodymr (kyka here on the AA), commissioned a red kite shield with a white cross formee variant from Borderwatch Autumn Shields (Ramsay on the AA), commissioned a red surcoat with white cross formee variant by Edward McTavish, and bought a new arming cote from Icefalcon (Yellow and Green for the West Kingdom's colors..unhistorical for a Knight of St John, but I wanted the connection to my SCA kingdom), a black hooded wool cloak from Kult of Athena with a white cross. I think the black cloak would be better had it been red, but It is still within tolerance for the time period and will contrast nicely. I bought a pair of boots and a leather belt with furniture from revival. Finally, I bought a set of wisby style gauntlets from Maxim (wildarmory). Roughly, it was 400 for the arms/legs/shoulders, 250 for the helm, 300 for the COP, 420 for the gauntlets, 100 for the surcoat, 80 for the cloak, 160 for the belt and boots, 150 for the cote, 150 for the shield. This is from memory and shipping added a bit more. particularly that and the western union fees for my Ukranian purchases. OUCH.

So for about $2,010 dollars I have a whole new kit purchased over the last 6 mnths. No wonder my wife told me to stop shopping. I didn't add it all up until this post. damn. Guess I will not be buying that period pavillion, gated greaves and sabatons after all. No one hit my on the shins please if we fight...

On my way out of Afghanistan now, so I will have to stop by the Holy Land and retake Jerusalem real fast. I may be calling for back up, so get your rattan and dull live steel ready.
NeeSayer
Archive Member

Post by NeeSayer »

Is there any documentation for what titles members of the order were called? I would imagine knights would be addressed as Sir but what about the more common folks? I'm mainly looking for information on Sgt at arms and what they would be addressed as.
Baron Conal
Archive Member

Post by Baron Conal »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=183913 -
In 1248 Pope Innocent IV (1243–54) approved a standard military dress for the Hospitallers to be worn during battle. Instead of a closed cape over their armour (which restricted their movements), they wore a red surcoat with a white cross emblazoned on it.
But I cannot find anything that definitively says which style cross was used.

Fromee, Greek, Maltese......

Help?
Baron Conal O'hAirt

Aude Aliquid Dignum Dare Something Worthy

“Each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass,
A book of rules;
And each must make-
Ere life has flown-
A stumbling block
Or a stepping stone”

― R L Sharpe
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

The text of the 1248 dispensation allowing a surcoat with cross to take the place of the arm-impeding closed-cape.
https://books.google.com/books?id=JTg2A ... is&f=false

Magistro et fratribus domus Hospitalis Jerosolimitami...

Fuit ex parte vestra nobis humiliter supplicutum ut, cum ex en quod capis clausis utimini super armis, quasi manibus impeditis et brachiis, tribuatur inimicis vestris facilius vos offendendi facultas et vobis adimatur defendendi libertas, providere super eo misericorditer curaremus. Vestris itaque supplicationibus inclinati auctoritate vobis presentium indulgemus ut, cum vos morari in locis suspectis aut per illa transire contigerit, liceat vobis supertunicalibus largis uti, gerendo super eis in pectore signum crucis.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui