Forester 1275 England

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Lord Wraste

Forester 1275 England

Post by Lord Wraste »

I want to be a hunter/woodsman/guide from late 13c (1275) England.

I've come across the books by Richard Rutherford-Moore, and St Hubert's Rangers, but I'm interested mainly with the clothing the persona would wear at the time. RRMoore's is from an earlier period as well.

Thank you,

~Gabriel
Habire ensim, volentaris itare.
AlecM

Re: Forester 1275 England

Post by AlecM »

Anyone have any answers?
Ursus Epicurius
Archive Member

Post by Ursus Epicurius »

Going to look pretty much like every other peasant/retainer at that time in general dress. I am not familiar with a lot of deviation or specialization of clothing, but not my period or usual subject. The best way to proceed, unless someone comes up with woodsman specific examples would be to go with typical attire for a retainer of the period with the proper tools. A good knife, rope (perhaps tied about the upper arm), a dog :) , etc. You could add a couple of touches that may not be on general clothing of the time, ties up to keep tunic bottoms out of brush or what not, for example.
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

You mentioned St. Huberts Rangers.
have you checked out their Face book page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sthuber ... =bookmarks

Lots of good pictures and resources there.
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

Check Bestiaries from the late 13th century. There are usually images of huntsmen in them.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Hrolfr
Archive Member

Post by Hrolfr »

I know of at least 2 members of St Hubert's rangers here on the Archive
Thomas Gallowglass said:
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'.
Josh Wilson
Archive Member

Post by Josh Wilson »

The Maciejowski Bible is the best resource. These are good books too.
http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Costume- ... 0486429857

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/048644906 ... V7WHX1C1AB

That's how I put my kit together for St Hubert's Rangers. Basically, you need a knee length tunic, braies, chausses, hood, shoes and belt. Go with wool for the chausses. I made a pattern for my brakes by ripping the seam apart in an old pair of gym shorts. I made the legs as long as I wanted them, and just sewed a long rectangular gusset in the middle of them. There's plenty of tunic tutorials on places like here and Pinterest, so I won't comment further on that. Chausses are a bit trickier. Youll need a good friend or SO to help mock up a pattern for those.
Josh Wilson
Archive Member

Post by Josh Wilson »

Also, one of those coif caps, and a square blanket pinned around you for a cape will be good finishing touches.
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

Sorry I do not check this as often as I once did. There are documents for the lords giving gifts to their foresters of fabric for clothing and such as well but some good info here for you above.

RPM