IWTB a Mamluk around 1250

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

ottosca

I wanna be a Malmuk, 1250

Post by ottosca »

Looking at Armor and clothing for a Malmuk around 1250 onwards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Otto
TitusVarro

Re: IWTB a Mamluk around 1250

Post by TitusVarro »

Bump. I have a young fighter who I am trying to assist getting his kit together and this happens to be the exact persona he wants. Any help would be appreciated. If it makes any difference he would prefer the Iraqi look to the Egyptian. But anything will do.
Dominus Titus Modius Varro
Eldest Son of the Dark Moon
Order of the Trefoil
Shire of Drygestan
Kingdom of The Outlands
William Lee
Archive Member

Post by William Lee »

TitusVarro wrote:Bump. I have a young fighter who I am trying to assist getting his kit together and this happens to be the exact persona he wants. Any help would be appreciated. If it makes any difference he would prefer the Iraqi look to the Egyptian. But anything will do.
http://windchild.net/pre-mongal_persian.htm
William Lee
Archive Member

Post by William Lee »

William Lee
Archive Member

Post by William Lee »

William Lee
Archive Member

Post by William Lee »

William Lee
Archive Member

Post by William Lee »

TitusVarro

Post by TitusVarro »

Thank you much
Dominus Titus Modius Varro
Eldest Son of the Dark Moon
Order of the Trefoil
Shire of Drygestan
Kingdom of The Outlands
William Lee
Archive Member

Post by William Lee »

For armour, a Mamluk may well have maille, lamellar or a combination of the two as their primary armour. They would likely wear a rounded "Baida" (egg) helm with maille attached to the rim, either as a neck drape or an aventail that covers everything but the eyes, or a peaked "turban-helmet", either with a maille drape, or worn in conjuction with a mailled coif.

He would be armed with bow, sword, lance, mace and axe. His tactics were generally more than a match for his Crusader foes, and under Rukn-ad-Din Baibars, would have been similar to Kipchak Turkish or Mongol steppe traditions. The Mamluks were also excellent at siege warfare.

Osprey Warrior Series "Saracen Faris" has extensive research. The color plates in the center are also a good guide.
al-Rawandi

Post by al-Rawandi »

Aight.

So to beat a dead horse back into life, I wanted to share some of the findings I found about the 13th c. Mamluks. One of the biggest sources was a Hungarian reenactor who set up a website (with references!) about his persona, research, some weapons and garb, and training. There's also another blog page that has taken texts from a few training manuals, including how they stripped off the hauberk while riding a horse at full gallop and the lance game!

As far as paper source, the Osprey Warrior "Saracen Faris" is an awesome source, as is "The Crusades Through Arab Eyes." The latter gives a new perspective based, of course, around the Crusades. Just remember that the Mamluks started around 9th century and became well known after beating back the Golden Horde! Also, if you need resource or armor pointers, I'm a somewhat decent reference for it.

http://mamluk.webnode.hu/
http://the-mamluk-faris.blogspot.com/
SCA: Malik ibn-Da'ud al-Rawandi (Formerly Tristan The Wanderer)
"First herald that pronounces it right wins a prize!"
mordreth
Archive Member

Post by mordreth »

Just for the heck of it "mamaluk" is a massive insult for Sicilian Italian Americans - they left a lasting impression.
Sweat in the tiltyard, or bleed on the field.
Gocauo
Archive Member

Post by Gocauo »

al-Rawandi wrote:Aight.

So to beat a dead horse back into life, I wanted to share some of the findings I found about the 13th c. Mamluks. One of the biggest sources was a Hungarian reenactor who set up a website (with references!) about his persona, research, some weapons and garb, and training. There's also another blog page that has taken texts from a few training manuals, including how they stripped off the hauberk while riding a horse at full gallop and the lance game!

As far as paper source, the Osprey Warrior "Saracen Faris" is an awesome source, as is "The Crusades Through Arab Eyes." The latter gives a new perspective based, of course, around the Crusades. Just remember that the Mamluks started around 9th century and became well known after beating back the Golden Horde! Also, if you need resource or armor pointers, I'm a somewhat decent reference for it.

http://mamluk.webnode.hu/
http://the-mamluk-faris.blogspot.com/

His kit is more in line with later period Burji Dynasty Mamluk and not the earlier Bahri Mamluk Dynasty. That helmet and armor are more in line with 15th Centery examples ...

I think you are conflating the term 'mamluk' with the Mamluk Sultanate... the terms mamluk and ghulam are similar... mamluk was a term more used in Egypt/Syria and Ghulam was used elswhere. Slave soldiers were in use since the time of the Abbasids...

And yes, the Mamluk Dynasty came in to prominence after the Battle of Ain Jalut led by the Mamluk Sultan Baibars.

Most of the Osprey sources are decent resources... the drawing in the center are nice, but an interpretation... I like the Osprey book for the bibliographies for additional research.
Caballero Gõcauo Ramiriç

Los que dejan al rey errar a sabiendas, merecen pena como traidores.
Alfonso X el Sabio (1221-1284)

The game isn't fair. It's rigged. Welcome to Monarchy.
-Max Von Halstern