French Knight 1430

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

MJBlazek
Archive Member

French Knight 1430

Post by MJBlazek »

I want to be a Man At Arms under the command of Louis I, Count of Vendôme, at the Siege of Compiègne (1430).

What sort of armour would have been worn?
Equipment and weapons?
Retainiers?
What kind of livery would have been flown?

Some Background:
The Siege of Compiègne (1430) was Joan of Arc's final military action. Her career as a leader ended with her capture during a skirmish outside the town on 23 May 1430. Although this was otherwise a minor siege, both politically and militarily, the loss of France's most charismatic and successful commander was an important event of the Hundred Years' War.

The French had delivered a devastating defeat to the English at Patay on 18 June 1429 and had proceeded northeastward to crown King Charles VII of France at Rheims without further resistance, accepting the peaceful surrenders of every town along their path. Compiègne was not along that road, its location is north of Paris, but along with several other cities it declared allegiance to Charles VII shortly after his coronation. It had previously been under Burgundian control
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
Griffith Dragonlake
Archive Member

Re: I Wanna Submit a new thread!

Post by Griffith Dragonlake »

I want to be a man-at-arms following Jeanne d'Arc at the Siege of Orleans in 1429. In particular I'm looking for extant examples of French harnesses from the period 1429-1430.
Lord Griffith Dragonlake
Gruffydd ap Dafydd ab Y Llyn Ddraig
"Autumn leaves cast upon the water, waiting to return. . .."
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Re: French Knight 1430

Post by MJBlazek »

From most of the minatures I have been looking at it seems that a bascinet of some form was the most prevelant helmet on the field.
Usually depicted in some form of Pig-faced, or rounded early great bascinet form. As you get closer to the 1430's It seems that the Great Bascinet seems to be the most used in the upper class, with the older styles being passed down.

Would those of you more learned of me agree?
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

MJ,

Not sure they were always passed down but generally you are seeing a trend among the uppers of white harnesses and the great bascinet. That said the Armet and sallet appear around this time or thereabouts.

I'd look at some of the remaining armour of this period as their is a fair amount left such as some Churburg pieces.

And as usual effigies.

RPM
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

Passed down wasn't the term I really wanted to use. Passed over might fit better.

Elizabeth_

Post by Elizabeth_ »

bump for similar interest
Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Post by Henrik Granlid »

1431 Sallet and early gothic influence on an effigy in the eastern parts of France.
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/1924/1888/

Similar are 1425, we see white harnesses with the pointy skirt and what I assume to be great bascinets due to silhouettes and the seemingly flat, metallic collar on top of chainmail.
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/5695/20196/