IWTB an Irish noble in the Hundred Years War (1337-77)

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Bayard
Archive Member

IWTB an Irish noble in the Hundred Years War (1337-77)

Post by Bayard »

I'd like to be an Irish nobleman fighting for the English in the Hundred Years War. I'd be using this as a persona in the SCA. I was thinking that as an adult I might be participating in the first phase known as the Edwardian War waged from 1337 to 1453. I'm also open to participating in the second or third phases known as the Caroline War (1369–1389) and the Lancastrian War (1415–1453) if more appropriate. Originally, I had planned to create a persona of French nobility but after giving this some thought and getting quite a bit of ribbing in the form of French jokes from friends, I've decided I'd rather be an Irish noble. I actually am of Celtic ancestry in real life. I'm aware of Irish infantry participating in battle, but would there have been nobility present? What sort of armor would I have worn? Does this include a bascinet?
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Safeguard the helpless. Never lie, even if it leads to your death; that is your oath.
Archive Member

Re: I Wanna Submit a new thread!

Post by RandallMoffett »

1337-1453 or 1337-1377 when Edward III dies? I'd look into Andrew Ayton's works as his focus is this period. http://www2.hull.ac.uk/fass/history/our ... ayton.aspx

I know there is some that have to have studied this so let me look and see.

RPM
Bayard
Archive Member

Re: I Wanna Submit a new thread!

Post by Bayard »

RandallMoffett wrote:1337-1453 or 1337-1377 when Edward III dies? I'd look into Andrew Ayton's works as his focus is this period. http://www2.hull.ac.uk/fass/history/our ... ayton.aspx

I know there is some that have to have studied this so let me look and see.

RPM
I'll look into Ayton's material. If you're willing, I'd like to be posted as a thread ASAP in case other board users have something to add. I've been having some trouble finding much information of Ireland's involvement in the Hundred Years War aside from a confirmation that there were Irish and Welsh spearmen involved in the battle of Crecy, killing the wounded and pillaging the countryside.What I want to know is more about whether there would have been Irish nobles involved in any battles, whether leading from the back or actually fighting. Even if this cannot be confirmed, I'd be happy knowing it was at least feasible. I'm also interested in what they would have worn armor and color-wise, in the case of a surcoat or similar cloth worn over armor. Thank you!
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Safeguard the helpless. Never lie, even if it leads to your death; that is your oath.
Archive Member

Re: IWTB an Irish noble in the Hundred Years War (1337-77)

Post by Bayard »

I'm bumping my thread. Any other information or opinions concerning my desired persona is very much appreciated.