War of the Roses Footman

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

birdman

War of the Roses Footman

Post by birdman »

I want to be a peasant billman from the Wars of the Roses (1455-1485). So far, I have an open-faced sallet, jack chains, 11" steel buckler, rondel dagger, an Oakeshott type XIV short sword (Oakeshott said they made a comeback in the 15th century), a simple "munitions grade" glaive (being made by Arms & Armour), and a pattern from Reconstructing History for a 15th century padded jack/arming coat. I could also substitute a short falchion (Valiant Armoury "Norwich") for the Oakeshott blade.

What other armour AND additional clothing do I need to complete the impression?
Those who would sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither one.
Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

Re: War of the Roses Footman

Post by Robert of Canterbury »

The first question to answer is, did the peasant bilman exist in the WOTR to any notable extent?

I gather there is some debate at present as to whether the lightly armoured levy billman is a product of history of modern re-enactment. I dont know one way or another, but its worth exploring.

I find the argument for either Archers, (possibly also with bills as a backup weapon) or armoured footmen, with bills or what-have-you convincing.

Armies in the WOTR were relatively small, fairly professional, and reasonably well equipped. why would you burden your supply train with lightly armoured billmen,(arrow fodder) when you could have a usefull archer or armoured footman instead.

To answer your question, to complete your kit as described, you need to add a longbow and it's attendant stuff. (bow bag, arrows, arrow bag, etc)
"Proecce ne Suffit" - Prowess is not enough

Work: https://www.bespokepewter.com
Words: http://forsooth.pbworks.com
Pewter research: http://pbsn3.pbworks.com
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

Robert and birdman,

From the inventories I have seen bills are common weapons during the period. The term billman does show up but far from often. It is much more likely a billman would be a person from a commission of array, general levy or some type of muster.

That said my guess is archers and men-at-arms are still the norm units called up but they do have forces of footmen still calling. I have a list in my PhD of all the men called from Southampton from 1300-1500 billman I think may be used once over the other hundreds of terms.

That said some musters do use the term at times. but when more detailed like gunners and such are listed. I tend to think the issue is they largely do troop types by defensive arms not offensive except for archers. Even men-at-arms can have a plethora of weapons.

RPM
birdman

Post by birdman »

The Southampton rolls are where I got the idea from. I have the book "Blood Red Roses", about the archaeology of the mass grave from the Battle of Towton, and it mentions men showing up for muster with bills and glaives. And yes, archers were in a distinct majority, but archery just isn't my "thing" (except maybe for crossbows).
Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

Post by Robert of Canterbury »

Randall to the rescue! Hurrah for scholarship. :)
(No, really, thanks for bringing some research into the mix!)

is this a fair statement,
Robert of Canterbury wrote: Armies in the WOTR were relatively small, fairly professional, and reasonably well equipped.
or was it common for people from
Randall Moffet wrote: a commission of array, general levy or some type of muster.
to be present during WOTR engagements?

Best
Dan
"Proecce ne Suffit" - Prowess is not enough

Work: https://www.bespokepewter.com
Words: http://forsooth.pbworks.com
Pewter research: http://pbsn3.pbworks.com
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

Birdman,

I was going to cut that down to bm but it just did not seem right. We need a nick-name, birdman makes me think of condorman or big bird for some reason.

Yep lots of bills. Likely a very common weapon for the commoners. Not sure about the idea archers had them. Just too much to carry to me. But bills are easy go for it.

Dan,

Not really that small. When you look at some of the armies of the WotR they are similar or larger than those sent to France for the 100 Years War often. The core may have been pros, largely household men but there are plenty of arrays called during the period. Now how they were used is hard to say but the battles I think we have more specific info on would indicate the retinues did not provide enough men to fill the entire army. My guess is they made up a fair number of the army these poor arrayed men. That does not mean they were not good. The array is supposed to split the wheat from the tares so to speak. I have quite a few arrays for the WoTR for towns built up. Richard calls up hundreds maybe thousands of urban troops as horsemen and such during the period.

Let me see if I can find it.
RPM
birdman

Post by birdman »

Sorry, been using "Birdman" for years. Goes WAY back to my days of playing AD&D in college back in the early 1990's. My favorite character to play was an Aaracokra fighter-thief, so my fellow players started calling me "Birdman" (an Aaracokra is a bird-like humanoid), and it kind of stuck.

Back on subject, I contacted the crew at Reconstructing History, and it sounds like I need patterns for hosen, braies, shirt, and doublet to complete my outfit as far as the "soft parts" goes. I will also be making myself a pair of turnshoes (I do leatherworking as one of my many hobbies...)
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

I see. I actually may have heard of the Aaracokra before.

softkit sounds about right. Good luck!

RPM