IWTB a late 15th c. (around 1485) English squire/knight

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Evgeniy Borisenko

IWTB a late 15th c. (around 1485) English squire/knight

Post by Evgeniy Borisenko »

I want to be a late 15th c. (around 1485) English squire/knight, preferably able to participate both in jousting events and footed combat
I’ve already seen lots of info and have some basic understanding of the question, and by now looking for really specific data on England and any really “typical” features of England armour.
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Re: IWTB a late 15th c. (around 1485) English squire/knight

Post by MJBlazek »

Ahh, The end of the War of the Roses. The Battle fo Bosworth and the Death or Richard.
Are you a Yorkist or a Lancastrian? (I was always a Yorkist myself)

As for information regarding English armor you should definietly check out - www.effigiesandbrasses.com www.manuscriptminiatures.com
Search for your time frame.
There is a great welth of info available no, especially since interest has been peaked due to the discovery of the remains of Richard.
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
Evgeniy Borisenko

Are you a Yorkist or a Lancastrian? (I was always a Yorkist myself)
My group stands for Lancaster, hope you still will be egger to help me.)
As for information regarding English armor you should definietly check out - http://www.effigiesandbrasses.com http://www.manuscriptminiatures.com
This two links were quite helpful, more for that – I started searching for other grave-monuments (sorry I don’t know correct term for this in English), and founded several really interesting examples. + I almost understood what kind of shoulder protection I want.

Still gravemonuments can’t answer all my questions (

May be there are some data on actual examples of armor? As taking paintings or monuments –there is always a possibility to miss some details or follow the imagination of sculpture instead of actual shape and size.

British museums are quite good  So I am sure that there should be smth. available.
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

I always follow the suggestion of finding a copy of
Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight http://www.medievalbookshop.co.uk/ajpics/AJH0067.jpg
A great starting point for many eras of armor.

I have some books at home that have some good info in them too. I will post a list when I get out of work tonight
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
Evgeniy Borisenko

Wow, this Arms and Armour is really a good book - just got it to my hands, and will look it through on weekends thank you for the advise.

What I understand for now, most common for England was to use Italian "Milan" Armour with some minor changes.
But it is also mentioned that armor was imported not only from Italy, but also from German and sometimes from Netherlands, is there any examples of German-England Armour existing?
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

Ev,

I'd be careful with that book as far as some of the info itself goes. The pictures are sweet to be sure but they perpetuated several errors but as I've been accused of bashing the book for pointing out errors in it I'll stop there.

As well assuming most was from Milan is a major danger. There were armour productions all over Europe. The biggest were Northern Italy, Southeast Germany and the low countries being major ones. In the knight and the blast furnace Williams includes stuff not of German or Italian origin.

RPM