I wanna be a VIKING

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Marcos de Ribera

Re: I wanna be a VIKING

Post by Marcos de Ribera »

So I am a Wire Wienie. Take that into account when you read my questions and wonder why the hell I dont know this stuff. :D I am planning on doing a soft kit under garb like you could find at linengarb.com. I want to do a minimalist look while being as protected as possible. I need to get used to being hit hard. LOL.

I plan on using the zoombang shirt added with a pair of shock doctor 580 hockey shorts (http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctor-Shoc ... ckskin+580) and the hard knees and elbows on pads. I do not plan on mail armor anytime soon because I have to balance my funds between fencing and heavy right now and I need a nice new Darkwood sword this season as well. So I have a few questions for you guys.

1: What do you use with the soft kit if you dont use mail? Can you just use the soft kit and be ok?

2: Do you use soft kit arms and shins? If so what do you use?

I am sure I will think of more questions later.
Lord Marcos de Ribera, Fencer and aspiring Stick Jock
South Oaken Rapier XO
Middle Kingdom

SFC, USA, Retired
11 Bang Bang
Bastior
Archive Member

Post by Bastior »

Thoargrimr Gunnarsson wrote: 1: What do you use with the soft kit if you dont use mail? Can you just use the soft kit and be ok?

Assuming you're talking about the SCA then you absolutely don't need mail, it completes the look but it doesn't satisfy the armour regs on its own anyway. You need hard protection over kidneys and some bones (check your kingdom regs for the exact details and definitions) after you've met the rules it's about comfort.

Having no idea about your skill level and what weapons you plan to fight with it's hard to know what to recomend but consider the following points then pick the armour you need.

- light padding on the shoulders is easiest for the correct look but a shot onto the point of the shoulder hurts
- a thrust into the gut when all you have is light padding and dreams of glory sucks
- if you don't have enough natural padding, be it muscle or otherwise, shots onto the radius, ulna & ribs aren't pleasant
- shots onto the point of the hip suck
- if you wear baggy trousers people will hit you low (NB you're not allowed to complain about this until you wear tighter trousers)
- if you use a round shield you will knock shots low instead of block them some times and the shin bone has very little natural padding
- you don't need to armour the thigh but repeated blows become somewhat tedious

B
Said ibn-Ali
Archive Member
Location: Windmasters Hill, in the Canton of Nimenfeld, Atlantia

Post by Said ibn-Ali »

Bastior wrote:
Thoargrimr Gunnarsson wrote: 1: What do you use with the soft kit if you dont use mail? Can you just use the soft kit and be ok?

Assuming you're talking about the SCA then you absolutely don't need mail, it completes the look but it doesn't satisfy the armour regs on its own anyway. You need hard protection over kidneys and some bones (check your kingdom regs for the exact details and definitions) after you've met the rules it's about comfort.

Having no idea about your skill level and what weapons you plan to fight with it's hard to know what to recomend but consider the following points then pick the armour you need.

- light padding on the shoulders is easiest for the correct look but a shot onto the point of the shoulder hurts
- a thrust into the gut when all you have is light padding and dreams of glory sucks
- if you don't have enough natural padding, be it muscle or otherwise, shots onto the radius, ulna & ribs aren't pleasant
- shots onto the point of the hip suck
- if you wear baggy trousers people will hit you low (NB you're not allowed to complain about this until you wear tighter trousers)
- if you use a round shield you will knock shots low instead of block them some times and the shin bone has very little natural padding
- you don't need to armour the thigh but repeated blows become somewhat tedious

B
Not a viking here, but I do a 11th-12th century Andalusian West African Berber, and I have two kits, my mail kit, and my light soft kit. Its not unlike a "viking" soft kit.

This is what I wear.
-Windrose conical helm with slightly wider than normal nasal and a leather drape attached at the brow line.

-Under Armour MDZ compression shirt, it is what is worn under football pads by many NFL players, it has shock pads in the shoulders, floating ribs and spine.

-10oz leather body bracelete/belt. It is waxed and has a bit of light padding around the back of the kidneys. It covers my soft midsection.

-Under Armour MDZ compression shorts. Again another football cary over. It has shock pads on the thighs, tail bone, and hips.

-My knees are protected by autocross (Motorcycle) knee and shin guards, they are REALLY low profile and breath amazingly well, but for 90 bucks they should.

-Aluminium wingless elbow cops attached to volleyball pads.

It doesnt matter what I put over that, I meet min
If I could link pics from my Facebook page I would link one from last Atlantia Fall Crown, where I wore my soft kit instead of my mail.

I personally hate the hockey shoulder pads under a tunic look, it leads to most people looking like Frankenstiens little, less fearsome, brother.

As for the marking of the knees, some kingdoms require you mark your knees location if you dont have knee armor on above clothing. This is to make sure there is no confusion over blow placement legality. Check with your local marshal to find out on those specifics.

But you can make some really nice looking soft kits without needing to spend a stupid amount of money or looking like some kind of free of nature.

I think total I have around a thousand bucks into my WHOLE kit, including the helm. But that was spread out over 6 years so it wasnt that bad. The helm was the most expensive single investment. And my mail was a lucky find on ebay, I got VERY lucky.
Marcos de Ribera

Post by Marcos de Ribera »

Thanks guys. This helps a lot.

I am not looking for the hockey shoulders or anything like that. I am willing to take some lumps of wearing soft kit armor, I was just trying to get a feel for what you guys wear with the kit.

Thoar
Lord Marcos de Ribera, Fencer and aspiring Stick Jock
South Oaken Rapier XO
Middle Kingdom

SFC, USA, Retired
11 Bang Bang
Said ibn-Ali
Archive Member
Location: Windmasters Hill, in the Canton of Nimenfeld, Atlantia

Post by Said ibn-Ali »

You can also wear a gambison under a tunic and be just fine as long as you meet your kingdoms minimum armor requirements.
Vigulfr
Archive Member

Post by Vigulfr »

I'm looking into getting some motocross gear that will hide nicely under a gambeson or tunic (I haven't decided which I'm going to wear yet) the only thing I'm having an issue with is the Gauntlets because I'm not entirely sure what a viking (Or Scot for that matter) would have worn.
One can turn an eggplant into a weapon if one thinks right.
-datesaburouyukiie
Bastior
Archive Member

Post by Bastior »

Viking hand protection, to the best of my knowledge, consists of one or more of the following crossguard, shield, prowess and luck. The best you can make your hand protection less glaringly obvious, blackened, russeted, leather coverd &c.

B
Hengist

Post by Hengist »

Bastior wrote:Viking hand protection, to the best of my knowledge, consists of one or more of the following crossguard, shield, prowess and luck. The best you can make your hand protection less glaringly obvious, blackened, russeted, leather coverd &c.

B
That's about it. If you want to be safe in the SCA I use tooled leather gautlets. We don't have examples but something like that looks nice.
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

So I know the lower level guys would wear basically a helmet and a shirt and stuff, and the Upper crust would have the fancy chain... what about the middle guys? Was tehre padded armor of any sort of this time preiod?
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
Michael B
Archive Member

Post by Michael B »

MJBlazek wrote:So I know the lower level guys would wear basically a helmet and a shirt and stuff, and the Upper crust would have the fancy chain... what about the middle guys? Was tehre padded armor of any sort of this time preiod?
I believe that the general consensus, at least when discussed on the AA, is that there is an absence of evidence.
Lorccan
Archive Member
Location: Memphis, TN / Barony of Grey Niche, Kingdom of Gleann Abhann

Post by Lorccan »

Michael B wrote:
MJBlazek wrote:So I know the lower level guys would wear basically a helmet and a shirt and stuff, and the Upper crust would have the fancy chain... what about the middle guys? Was tehre padded armor of any sort of this time preiod?
I believe that the general consensus, at least when discussed on the AA, is that there is an absence of evidence.
Right, absence of evidence, not evidence of absence. A leather or padded cloth layer under mail would be a reasonable conjecture (seriously, wearing riveted mail without padding is not comfortable, much less fighting in it - why would they put up with that, when they could sew?), as would either worn on their own, but we have no evidence to guide us in their construction. Hiding it is just a much safer bet.
Also, I think you'll find that protection for the body is usually the first piece of armor in any culture, before a helm. The SCA armor standard makes for different priorities than those of a life-and-death battlefield. Mail, while superfluous for us, would be the most important defense for a fighting man in the Viking Age, and a 'lower level' guy would want to come as close to that as possible. Knowing they were going into a fight, it seems likely they would have been creative as their later medieval descendants in coming up with ways to protect their centers of mass with the materials available to them.
- Sir Lorccan hua Conchobair
Former armourer at Darkwood Armory, now just armouring a bit for fun.
"I've schlepped ugly gear about the field. It does not inspire -- not me, not anybody. Better to try and make it pretty." - Konstantin the Red
Denewulf
Archive Member

Post by Denewulf »

Lorccan wrote: (seriously, wearing riveted mail without padding is not comfortable, much less fighting in it
Mail, while superfluous for us,
I disagree on both accounts, speaking from practical experience. I don't wear anything under my mail other than a tunic (and a kidney belt); other than the weight (about 20lbs, and even that isn't too bad), it's actually fairly comfortable - in combat it moves with me naturally and doesn't get in the way or impede my movement. Also, I find that my mail soaks and dissipates blunt force blows reasonably well. As for mail in SCA combat, while recognizing that it's a matter of personal comfort and preference, I'd say that it is actually a pretty good armor for our conventions.
Sir Denewulf orm-skald Ivarsson
My Skaldic Poetry on WordPress
Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Post by Baron Eirik »

Denewulf wrote:
Lorccan wrote: (seriously, wearing riveted mail without padding is not comfortable, much less fighting in it
Mail, while superfluous for us,
I disagree on both accounts, speaking from practical experience. I don't wear anything under my mail other than a tunic (and a kidney belt); other than the weight (about 20lbs, and even that isn't too bad), it's actually fairly comfortable - in combat it moves with me naturally and doesn't get in the way or impede my movement. Also, I find that my mail soaks and dissipates blunt force blows reasonably well. As for mail in SCA combat, while recognizing that it's a matter of personal comfort and preference, I'd say that it is actually a pretty good armor for our conventions.
Seconded. My Ti mail shirt weighs about 12# and under it is just a tunic & light kidney belt. I wore a thin gambeson under a kidney belt before I got the mail, with the gambeson & the mail I found I had trouble feeling a 'good' body shot. The tunic prevents any abrasion, and only rarely have I gotten the classic 'mail waffle-weave' from being hit, and then it's just surface skin, not bruising. YMMV
Master Eirik, MSCA
Munitions Grade Arms, Rattan & Thrusting Tips
Now on Facebook
Dan Howard
Archive Member

Post by Dan Howard »

Lorccan wrote:Also, I think you'll find that protection for the body is usually the first piece of armor in any culture, before a helm.
That's definitely not true. Since the dawn of warfare the head was the first part of the body to be protected. In many cases nothing but a shield and helmet was used. Body armour was often reserved for the higher ranks. In many cases the majority of a host wore no body armour at all.

Additionally, it wouldn't be wise to speculate on the practicalities of mail until you had a shirt that was specifically tailored for you just like historical mail.

And saying "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is complete nonsense. There is no evidence to say that they didn't wear pink tutus and wield gingerbread katanas either. It is a logical impossibility to prove a negative. Mord has already more than adequately demonstrated that, based on the available evidence, vikings either wore mail armour or no armour. That is the only reasonable conclusion until evidence to the contrary presents itself.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment by Pen & Sword books.
Matthew Amt
Archive Member

Post by Matthew Amt »

Lorccan wrote:
Michael B wrote:
Right, absence of evidence, not evidence of absence.
But really, there *is* evidence of absence! It's not just that there is no mention of padded garments, or any suggestion that leather armor was at all common. There are surviving laws and regulations for militia requirements (Carolingian and Saxon, as well as Norse), or the armor and weapons to be carried on Viking ships, and in spite of being pretty detailed, NONE of them mention padded or leather armor! The one Norseman who made himself a leather protective thingy seems to have been considered pretty strange. So the literary, pictoral, and archeological sources are all consistent and in full agreement.
Mail, while superfluous for us, would be the most important defense for a fighting man in the Viking Age, and a 'lower level' guy would want to come as close to that as possible. Knowing they were going into a fight, it seems likely they would have been creative as their later medieval descendants in coming up with ways to protect their centers of mass with the materials available to them.
And yet, historical suggestions of improvisation like this are extremely rare! You'd think if such thinking was common, it would show up somewhere. We'd have depictions of it, or some mention in literature. But there's nothing. The only reasonable historical conclusion is that people who did not have mail "made do" with just shields and sometimes helmets. (You can drag in scale and lamellar armor if you widen the geographical limits and timespan, of course!)

Sorry, that doesn't help for SCA combat!

Matthew
Bastior
Archive Member

Post by Bastior »

A shield is very good body armour if you're fighting in a shieldwall in the style of many earl mediaeval peoples, like say the vikings.

B
hivemind
Archive Member
Location: Coppertree, AEthelmearc (SCA) and Winterfell (Dagorhir)

Post by hivemind »

The wife is sniffing around at getting me some sort of improved aventail for my helmet for Xmas. Right now I'm using the "Oh shit I need an aventail right now" $35 butted galvanized model from Therion Arms, and it's falling apart (as expected).

What do I tell her to get me? Round rings or flat is the big question, followed by riveted or welded. I don't care what's accurate, I'm telling her stainless for the material. :)
Snorri Bjornisson of Coppertree, AEthelmearc, SCA
Primarch Ser Hivemind Saligia of the Cairnhold Legion, Winterfell, Dagorhir
Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Post by Henrik Granlid »

Round riveted is period.
Flat riveted looks denser and most hauberks that hold up are made in this, it's the common go-to for people not using butted since it looks cooler thn round rings.
Welded holds up better that riveted, is more expensive, however, personally, I don't quite like the look.

I say riveted flat, it's cooler.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Could I get some opinions on this picture, then?
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (97.92 KiB) Viewed 47190 times
Haldan
Archive Member

Post by Haldan »

Under exposed, poor color saturation.... :D

No seriously,I assume you are looking at the kits and wanting feed back on 'em. Now, don't know anyone in this picture and as far as the SCA goes, they have made a very good attempt. Now, if ya wanna be a 'Viking'..... Numbered from left to right / top to bottom

1. Mail - Good, Gorget - could be hidden, Not sure what kind of helm but it doesn't seem to have the right lines.
2. Mail - good, Helm - seems to be a Norman. Wish I could see more of the kit! Either 1 or 2 is wearing red on their lower legs, whichever one needs period footwear.
3. Mail - good, Helm - not accurate to the Viking Age. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a helm like that except in the SCA. Dane Axe, very good! Gaunt - well we have to make some concessions to the SCA rules set a pass. :D Leg wraps are an impending disaster it seems. :D Needs period footwear. NB: no exposed arm armour - EXCELLENT!
4. EXCELLENT Rus! Crosshilt- WOO HOO The only things I would change would be the helm and not use the lenticular shield with that impression.
Unnumbered fella behind the Rus - Legwraps good, pants good.Crosshilt- WOO HOO That's all I can see
5. I'd drop the body armor, gorget and get some period footwear. There is something funky going on with the helm too but I can't see it clearly enough.
6. No comment. Not enough visble
7. Looks GOOD! Can't tell if the shoes are right or not. Excellent impression!
8. Helm is wrong, exposed arm armor, Can't tell if that is mail under something else. Pants need to be closer to the leg. Foot gear.
9. Cannot think of anything to improve on this kit. Well maybe a white belt, but YMMV.... :D
Adsum Domine
ThorvaldR Skegglauss
Archive Member

Post by ThorvaldR Skegglauss »

Haldan wrote:Under exposed, poor color saturation.... :D

No seriously,I assume you are looking at the kits and wanting feed back on 'em. Now, don't know anyone in this picture and as far as the SCA goes, they have made a very good attempt. Now, if ya wanna be a 'Viking'..... Numbered from left to right / top to bottom

1. Mail - Good, Gorget - could be hidden, Not sure what kind of helm but it doesn't seem to have the right lines.
2. Mail - good, Helm - seems to be a Norman. Wish I could see more of the kit! Either 1 or 2 is wearing red on their lower legs, whichever one needs period footwear.
3. Mail - good, Helm - not accurate to the Viking Age. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a helm like that except in the SCA. Dane Axe, very good! Gaunt - well we have to make some concessions to the SCA rules set a pass. :D Leg wraps are an impending disaster it seems. :D Needs period footwear. NB: no exposed arm armour - EXCELLENT!
4. EXCELLENT Rus! Crosshilt- WOO HOO The only things I would change would be the helm and not use the lenticular shield with that impression.
Unnumbered fella behind the Rus - Legwraps good, pants good.Crosshilt- WOO HOO That's all I can see
5. I'd drop the body armor, gorget and get some period footwear. There is something funky going on with the helm too but I can't see it clearly enough.
6. No comment. Not enough visble
7. Looks GOOD! Can't tell if the shoes are right or not. Excellent impression!
8. Helm is wrong, exposed arm armor, Can't tell if that is mail under something else. Pants need to be closer to the leg. Foot gear.
9. Cannot think of anything to improve on this kit. Well maybe a white belt, but YMMV.... :D
Not a bad critique however I would add that #9, helm and shield too far apart on the timeline. That huge Norman Kite was used by Vikings at the end (pretty much everyone was) but the helm is very early in the Viking age. It would look better with a round shield.
Hertogi ThorvaldR Skegglauss, Drachenwald KSCA

Just have fun and do right by yourself and others.
Kephri
Location: Kalamazoo, MI, Pentamere, Barony of Andelcrag, Canton of the Three Hills

Post by Kephri »

Anybody have ideas for an SCA-legal female viking warrior? Obviously the valkyries, I believe, are understood to have ridden into battle with bare breasts and that's right out, hehe. But are there any thoughts or should I just go with a male style tunic?

How terribly anachronistic is this costume from "Vikings"?

Lena Erickson
SCA Name: Sigrún Ormsdóttir
Lorccan
Archive Member
Location: Memphis, TN / Barony of Grey Niche, Kingdom of Gleann Abhann

Post by Lorccan »

The short answer is that you'd probably wear most of the same kit as a male warrior. Maybe some feminine details, but it's hard to say what they'd be - there's a sword hilt style found in a few female graves of the period. Bare-breasted valkyries sound fun, but they're mythical, so they're not great role models.
She looks more like fantasy than history to me. The mail shirt looks like it's got all sorts of random stuff going on that makes no sense I can see, and I've never seen anything that looks like that split skirt in a Scandinavian context.
- Sir Lorccan hua Conchobair
Former armourer at Darkwood Armory, now just armouring a bit for fun.
"I've schlepped ugly gear about the field. It does not inspire -- not me, not anybody. Better to try and make it pretty." - Konstantin the Red
ThorvaldR Skegglauss
Archive Member

Post by ThorvaldR Skegglauss »

This is a fairly decent female Viking warrior. Shield "could/should" be different but it works.
Attachments
Wendey Crown sm.jpg
Wendey Crown sm.jpg (95.66 KiB) Viewed 47007 times
Hertogi ThorvaldR Skegglauss, Drachenwald KSCA

Just have fun and do right by yourself and others.
thewhaleshark

Post by thewhaleshark »

Lorccan wrote:The short answer is that you'd probably wear most of the same kit as a male warrior. Maybe some feminine details, but it's hard to say what they'd be - there's a sword hilt style found in a few female graves of the period. Bare-breasted valkyries sound fun, but they're mythical, so they're not great role models.
She looks more like fantasy than history to me. The mail shirt looks like it's got all sorts of random stuff going on that makes no sense I can see, and I've never seen anything that looks like that split skirt in a Scandinavian context.
One of the sagas - and I can't quote it right now, but I've read it - specifically mentions a woman who puts on trousers "like a man" and goes to fight just as a man would. It's the only instance I know of where a woman goes a-Viking, and she wore the same kit as the men.

Typically, women had prescribed (and very important) roles in Viking society, which generally did not include combat. However, I don't believe they were expressly barred from it either. And some grave finds have been female and have contained weapons.
Magnus hvalmagi
Barony of Concordia of the Snows, East Kingdom

http://www.eastkingdom.org/mediawiki/in ... s_hvalmagi

http://thedraughtsaredeep.wordpress.com
Haldan
Archive Member

Post by Haldan »

thewhaleshark wrote:One of the sagas - and I can't quote it right now, but I've read it - specifically mentions a woman who puts on trousers "like a man" and goes to fight just as a man would.
Actually, a woman wearing trousers as a man is one of the valid reasons for divorce in Norse society.

:D
Adsum Domine
Matthew Amt
Archive Member

Post by Matthew Amt »

Also note that when Hollywood dresses a woman in men's clothing, or for a masculine occupation, she is then required to cover her forearms with leather or darkened metal bracers. Cuz forearms count as genitalia in Hollywood....

Matthew
Paladin74
Archive Member

Post by Paladin74 »

Kephri wrote:Anybody have ideas for an SCA-legal female viking warrior? Obviously the valkyries, I believe, are understood to have ridden into battle with bare breasts and that's right out, hehe. But are there any thoughts or should I just go with a male style tunic?

How terribly anachronistic is this costume from "Vikings"?

*gasp* :shock:

That's Kathryn Winnick. What costume? lol
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis. -Pindar

Knight, Order of the Marshal
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Paladin74 wrote:*gasp* :shock:

That's Kathryn Winnick. What costume? lol
NOT helpful. :roll:
Thaddeus
Archive Member

Post by Thaddeus »

Some of our merry band of lunatics.

http://draugarvinlands.com/index.html
Thaddeus von Orlamunde
Flying Pig Forge
Mac wrote: It helps to have the right tools and the right beard.
Mac
Tracker10

Post by Tracker10 »

Hey all, I'm also a female person looking to go a-viking, like Hervör, Thorbjorn, Lagerda, and Brunhilde. I will need to stick to SCA armoring rules. Ideally, I'm shooting for 9th century Dane, a "maiden king" persona in the typical "born a woman, wears man clothes and takes a male name before settling down" fashion.
I've read through this thread and the other viking one, and while I've decided against lamellar and mail (mostly for weight, though the saga of Hervör says she wears a byrnie) I'm thinking about some sort of combination of hard and soft armor under tunic and trews, wit leather gauntlets and turnshoes... Any other suggestions? I'm pretty darn petite and while weight is a concern, getting my butt whupped in ways that leave permanent marks is a pretty pressing concern, too. Thanks all!
Refr Raske
Ræv Raske
robstout
Archive Member

Post by robstout »

He Refr. Check out Zoombag. Personally, I don't use it, but a lot of people who do hidden armor (which sounds like what you want to do) swear by it. You'll want it for body protection, and low-profile elbows/knees. HTH

Robert The Stout
Tracker10

Post by Tracker10 »

Thanks!
Ræv Raske