I wanna be a LANDSKNECHT

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Karl Helweg
Archive Member

kicking it up

Post by Karl Helweg »

If I replace the screws, replace the scabbard, maybe replace the handle with antler or horn, and add a belt one of these just might make a reasonably priced "dance sword." I wish that it was somewhat shorter so that it would be easier to pack and get in the way less. Not too bad of a find U.

If you want something more authentic and are willing to apply some serious elbow grease yourself there is: http://www.therifleshoppe.com/%28661%29.htm but make sure that they have everything in stock before you order. Their parts have very nice lines but come rough sand cast so will take lots of filing, sanding, and finishing. I have seen one with an antler handle on an old 1917 bayonet blade (when those were cheap) that relly looked nice in the end.
Karl
http://earngyld.org/
I am from Oertha so I am automatically cooler than you.
CT03
Archive Member

Post by CT03 »

Howdy all Landsknechte. Just wanted to let you know that for a while now www.landsknecht.org has been up for discussing all things landsknecht internationally. Its mostly allong historical reenacting lines take a look.
Chris Treichel

Ein eisgrauer Bart
Ein Panzer von Erz
doch tief in der Brust
ein blutendes Herz
CT03
Archive Member

Re: kicking it up

Post by CT03 »

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/%28661%29.htm

I think those parts are actually for a hunting sword ala 17-18th century and not for a messer. most origional messer had very rudimentary fittings. take a look at some origionals. If you want a shorter version look for just a "messer" the one in your modern pic is a SLO "grossemesser/ lange messer" other terms you might try looking for are duessack, tessek, rugger, hauswehr etc... if you want to make a cheap one you could probably just get a machete and grind the point into more of a clip point. The guard can easily be made from bar stock and many origionals had slab tangs without pommels... This might be more effective, read you could probably make a better usable one for about $30 all arround than getting that SLO which will probably have cast fittings that will break when you try to take it appart.

here is a nice discussion about grosse messer and some other items with pics...

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=75726
Chris Treichel

Ein eisgrauer Bart
Ein Panzer von Erz
doch tief in der Brust
ein blutendes Herz
CT03
Archive Member

Re: kicking it up

Post by CT03 »

CT03 wrote:http://www.therifleshoppe.com/%28661%29.htm

I think those parts are actually for a hunting sword ala 17-18th century and not for a messer. most origional messer had very rudimentary fittings. take a look at some origionals. If you want a shorter version look for just a "messer" the one in your modern pic is a SLO "grossemesser/ lange messer" other terms you might try looking for are duessack, tessek, rugger, hauswehr etc... if you want to make a cheap one you could probably just get a machete and grind the point into more of a clip point. The guard can easily be made from bar stock and many origionals had slab tangs without pommels... This might be more effective, read you could probably make a better usable one for about $30 all arround than getting that SLO which will probably have cast fittings that will break when you try to take it appart.

here is a nice discussion about grosse messer and some other items with pics...

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=75726
here are some pics courtesy of albion of a messer/ hauswehr/ Bauernwehr in action ... drawn by Albrecht duerrer. I think this is what you are thinking of and what the peasant is wearing in your woodcut.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/alb ... rawing.htm
Chris Treichel

Ein eisgrauer Bart
Ein Panzer von Erz
doch tief in der Brust
ein blutendes Herz
Uadahlrich
Archive Member

Post by Uadahlrich »

Remember that discussion about the soft boots as seen in the Hofkleidebuch?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... olbein.jpg

The picture was too big to post. But here's the link.

It looks like they were lined and the lining was slashed.
Karl Helweg
Archive Member

Black Swan

Post by Karl Helweg »

Karl
wymarc

Post by wymarc »

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and am looking to make a landsknecht soft kit.

My question: Has anyone seen any examples of slashing on vests like the one in the pics? The examples I have seen seem to only have slashing at the very bottom.
Attachments
wams-abb2-Spiesstrager.jpg
wams-abb2-Spiesstrager.jpg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
wams-abb1-Buchsenmeister.jpg
wams-abb1-Buchsenmeister.jpg (8.94 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
CT03
Archive Member

Post by CT03 »

Yes, I actually made a set of clothes like that of the Buechsen Meister. Its in a previous post... green and brown cloth... If you are talking about the sleves I actually made it in two layers. The underlayer which is not cut and the upper layer made of strips. The Wams (Jerkin) is probably leather or very fulled wool (boiled wool) so that it can sustain the cuts without fraying... you will not be able to do that in linnen or other woven cloth as it would just fall appart.
Chris Treichel

Ein eisgrauer Bart
Ein Panzer von Erz
doch tief in der Brust
ein blutendes Herz
CT03
Archive Member

Post by CT03 »

Here is a link to some of my research and pics...

http://www.fahnlein.com/forums/photos/p ... rtdir=desc

I don't have pics of the wams
Attachments
chris3.JPG
chris3.JPG (21.47 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
duds_1small2.JPG
duds_1small2.JPG (31.97 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
Chris Treichel

Ein eisgrauer Bart
Ein Panzer von Erz
doch tief in der Brust
ein blutendes Herz
Ladybug

Post by Ladybug »

Hi, so I'm not only new to this whole historically accurate reenactment thing, but also to forums as such. I've tried going through all 13 pages, but it's just too much so I'm hoping a question or two might get an answer.

My husband wants me to make him a soft kit for his Landsknecht persona which he is still working on and every time I show him a picture I've found, he says "too late, make it an earlier version" and now I'm lost. I didn't even know the Landsknecht existed until last night!!

Please help? If anyone has any idea about an earlier version than the very frilly-froo-froo-bit that looks like a colour explosion (which is something I LOVE :P ) could you please let me know what that looks like?

Thanks!!
wymarc

Post by wymarc »

Welcome Ladybug! I just got started a few months ago myself, but lets see if I can help...

On the bottom is what I think of as early Landsknecht - 2 layer hosen, undershirt, slashed overshirt/doublet ("wams"), and possibly a vest. If this isn't what he's looking for, he might want a waffenrock, or war coat, shown in the top picture below. Only other thing I can think of is that what he wants actually late period, when plunderhosen (big poofy pants) became more popular.

You might find the following sites useful:
http://scagermanrenaissance.blogspot.co ... -list.html
http://www.st-max.org/costume-male.htm
http://www.landsknecht.org/
Attachments
wams-abb2-Spiesstrager.jpg
wams-abb2-Spiesstrager.jpg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 4291 times
Niklas20Stoer20Lansquenet20with20Woman20223.jpeg
Niklas20Stoer20Lansquenet20with20Woman20223.jpeg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 4291 times
Ladybug

Post by Ladybug »

Thank you! The first source is already a huge help. I will make him tight fitting hose as I cannot resist putting my husband into tights! :twisted: He has no choice there... But apart from that I think I'm getting a better idea of what he wants now.

Thanks a million! :D
wymarc

Post by wymarc »

And don't forget the codpiece :twisted:
Ladybug

Post by Ladybug »

How can I ever? :lol:
Karl Helweg
Archive Member

1497 & 1499

Post by Karl Helweg »

Ladybug wrote:Hi, so I'm not only new to this whole historically accurate reenactment thing, but also to forums as such. I've tried going through all 13 pages, but it's just too much so I'm hoping a question or two might get an answer.

My husband wants me to make him a soft kit for his Landsknecht persona which he is still working on and every time I show him a picture I've found, he says "too late, make it an earlier version" and now I'm lost. I didn't even know the Landsknecht existed until last night!!

Please help? If anyone has any idea about an earlier version than the very frilly-froo-froo-bit that looks like a colour explosion (which is something I LOVE :P ) could you please let me know what that looks like?

Thanks!!

Also see: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... p?t=117002
Karl
Ladybug

Post by Ladybug »

Thanx!
woodwose
Archive Member

Post by woodwose »

I've been updating my website with a few new pictures of things my wife and I have been working on in the last couple of years... I'll have some new pics up soon of my Landsknecht kit with my newly reworked almain armor and pike. Until then here are a couple pages new civilian/mundane stuff we've (well, mostly Eliana) finished...
http://mailmaker.tripod.com/garb/swissgown.html (please don't be too offended by its milk curdling swissness, she won't listen that it could be southern Bavarian) and
http://mailmaker.tripod.com/garb/coat.html
I'm hoping to have the more landsknechty pictures online by next week sometime.
Syrfinn
Archive Member

Post by Syrfinn »

I need to look thru more of this, only read the first 2 pages and the last page, but bought an old Sallet off of Iain Ruadh from the Middle, and thinking of having this as a second personna. Great pics of various things. Just need to do more research before asking questions. :)
Finn O'Shannon KSCA
AEthelmearc
"In each of us are Two Wolves. One Good, One Evil. Which one do you feed most?"
Uadahlrich
Archive Member

Post by Uadahlrich »

Finn O'Shannon wrote:I need to look thru more of this, only read the first 2 pages and the last page, but bought an old Sallet off of Iain Ruadh from the Middle, and thinking of having this as a second personna. Great pics of various things. Just need to do more research before asking questions. :)
Wilkommen Sir Finn,
That is a nice helm you got off of Iain. With a sallet you'll be looking primarily at the early Landsknechten.
woodwose
Archive Member

Post by woodwose »

[img]http://mailmaker.tripod.com/armor/pike2a.jpg[/img]

http://mailmaker.tripod.com/armor/halfpics.html

a couple weekends ago I got some new pictures of my Landsknecht kit (without SCA specific gear, still need to make new gauntlets and a helm for SCA) for the first time in quite a while. The page they are on has sort of a progression of pictures, with the newest ones at the top. For these pictures I've left off the full legs as those are too much for this portrayal, and also made the back plate an optional piece. There are two sets of new pictures, on is more heavily armored with the backplate, gorget, and arms; the other is a bit lighter with just the breastplate and long tassets, and a bishops mantle. Both also have a steel skullcap (my headgear for rapier, minus the perfplate and gorget that goes with it) under my hat... and there's my 16' pike which was modeled after ones from an arsenal in Lucerne.
Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Post by Dragon_Argent »

That is a VERY impressive impression Dweezle.
Well done. If you don't mind I will show your pics to new members to illustrate what can be achieved!
Amor, Sanguis, Rhetoricus
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Post by Rittmeister Frye »

Very, very well done! You're armour looks perfect, and the whole ensemble is straight out of the woodcuts.

I especially like the fact that you have a proper pike, that isn't made of super light and thin wood! I've had the argument many times with folks over the size of the pike shaft, and I believe that they were fairly stout. Yours looks as though it could withstand more than a touch before breaking!

Again, very well done!

Cheers!

Gordon
"He who wields the sword will be first served"
Charles Napier
Token Bastard
Archive Member

Post by Token Bastard »

Dude, that's ten million kinds of awesome.

When I grow up, I wanna look like Dweezle.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

-Ed
Edric "Mr." the Bastard
Argent Company, Grunt
wymarc

Post by wymarc »

Question: Where are people buying their feathers? The longest I've been able to find are only 13 inches and in very limited colors.
Uadahlrich
Archive Member

Post by Uadahlrich »

wymarc wrote:Question: Where are people buying their feathers? The longest I've been able to find are only 13 inches and in very limited colors.
I ordered mine from an ostrich farm that sells on Ebay. I was more interested in natural colors than dyed.
Uadahlrich
Archive Member

Post by Uadahlrich »

Dweezle, Your presentation ROCKS HARD! Way to set the bar.
Gustav Johannes Losen
Archive Member

Post by Gustav Johannes Losen »

The new soft kit ....please ignore the ford exploder in the background
Attachments
25336_1345510892343_1668402991_825174_4000146_n.jpg
25336_1345510892343_1668402991_825174_4000146_n.jpg (74.65 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
25336_1345510892343_1668402991_825174_4000146_n.jpg
25336_1345510892343_1668402991_825174_4000146_n.jpg (74.65 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
Gustav Johannes Losen
Archive Member

Post by Gustav Johannes Losen »

another
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (47.19 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

So, what about hats?

I have come to the realization that the huge floppy flat "pizza" hats just don't work for me. To big, to many feathers, so on and so forth. What I need is something smaller, perferably that won't cover my ears.

Any suggestions?
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Uadahlrich
Archive Member

Post by Uadahlrich »

InsaneIrish wrote:So, what about hats?

I have come to the realization that the huge floppy flat "pizza" hats just don't work for me. To big, to many feathers, so on and so forth. What I need is something smaller, perferably that won't cover my ears.

Any suggestions?
I've been thinking about a smaller (personal pan?) pizza hat. In the 12" range maybe.
Balin50
Archive Member

Post by Balin50 »

My google fu has failed me.
Does anyone know the time frame for Jack Chains? I think they are awesome, but are they to early?

Balin
We're going to hold on to him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass, We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose.
Patton
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Balin50 wrote:My google fu has failed me.
Does anyone know the time frame for Jack Chains? I think they are awesome, but are they to early?

Balin
I believe they were more popular in the 15th century than the 16th, but I do have an Urs Graf piece that shows them on a landsknecht. Circa 1515

Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Balin50
Archive Member

Post by Balin50 »

InsaneIrish wrote:
Balin50 wrote:My google fu has failed me.

Balin
I believe they were more popular in the 15th century than the 16th, but I do have an Urs Graf piece that shows them on a landsknecht. Circa 1515

I'm just a poor Knecht had to raid Gran dads armor off the wall :twisted: Thanks for the pic

Balin
We're going to hold on to him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass, We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose.
Patton
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Uadahlrich wrote:

Any suggestions?
I've been thinking about a smaller (personal pan?) pizza hat. In the 12" range maybe.
That's the rolled hat.

[img]http://www.landsknechts.org/real/lands_triumph_max.jpg[/img]
Uadahlrich
Archive Member

Post by Uadahlrich »

Maeryk wrote:
Uadahlrich wrote:

Any suggestions?
That's the rolled hat.

[img]http://www.landsknechts.org/real/lands_triumph_max.jpg[/img]
ANyone got docs on this "rolled hat"?