I WTB a Byzantine Cavalry officer C. 1050 -1250AD

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Bob H
Archive Member

Post by Bob H »

http://www.levantia.com.au/ is back online! Three cheers for Doctor Tim! :)

I'd like to hear some other opinions on "zabai". They're recommended over padded forearm protection, and over kremasmata (padded skirts). Are these just strips that are sewn on somewhat in the way Western armour uses solid metal splints, or do they cover the entire armour item? And, could they be something other than maille? None of the online Greek-English translators have an entry for zabai, or zaba.
Last edited by Bob H on Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are we having fun yet?
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

I recall reading an analysis of Byzantine armour (can't remember which one - might have been Taxiarchis Kolias' paper) which said that the meaning of zabai has been lost, but it could possibly be mail, as one source talks about carrying a zaba rolled up in a bag.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that.
Egfroth

It's not really armour if you haven't bled on it.
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

I just got a book for my wife (yesterday) that discusses warfare, arms & armour etc, in this time and place. I haven't read it yet. I'll put up a citation for this later.

Mord.
Keep calm and carry a bigger stick.
Bob H
Archive Member

Post by Bob H »

Hey, Mord ... read that book yet? :lol:
uwhguy
Archive Member

Post by uwhguy »

It is really depressing that the links for this thread are all dead. Levantia seems to be offline and Geocities has shut down all of its sites. Does anyone know if the original pages have been updated to new locations?
Lord Carlyle
Squire to Sir Gaius Tascius Severus Fabianus
Warlord of the Sergeants of St. Aiden
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

My website hasn't been resurrected since Geocities died (though I've kept the pages as files). However, I've updated most of my links today (14 Feb 2014) so they work again.
Last edited by Egfroth on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Egfroth

Bob H
Archive Member

Post by Bob H »

Dawson's books are very good, especially for reenactors and SCAdians. Having seen them, I wouldn't attempt Byzantine "banded" lamellar without looking at his works and those of Egfroth. It's a deceptively simply thing after you've seen it, but most SCA lamellar I've seen is dead wrong and doesn't work as it should. No fault there, the information hasn't been public all that long, but if you're making a new kit I'd look over both sources carefully.
Are we having fun yet?
Galileo
Archive Member

Re: I WTB a Byzantine Cavalry officer C. 1050 -1250AD

Post by Galileo »

Levantia is online -- http://www.levantia.com.au/
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

Thought you'd like this link regarding Byzantine limb defences . . .

written by Christobel and Peter in Australia.

And a selection (on Youtube) from the 12th century Byzantine Skylitzes Chronicle with some nice contemporary pics of warriors in their equipment here.
Egfroth

Ulrich Halfdan Ulfsson
Archive Member

Post by Ulrich Halfdan Ulfsson »

I followed your link Egfroth and found another video along the same lines: http://youtu.be/TKh4pRZmj50 The question about thie second video is accuracy. It shows quite a bit of lamellar that looks to be laced plate to plate without the leathe backing, how accurate is that? Some good looking pictures, all modern representations, but questioning the accuracy.
Sir Ulrich Halfdan Ulfsson
Commander of Raven Company
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

Yep, reconstructions based on various original illustrations and perhaps a fair bit of imagination. Steel lamellar without leather backing certainly existed, at least in the 6th century or thereabouts. It may also have been used by other races considerably later. Banded lamellar seems to have been a specifically Byzantine thing - at least nobody else seems to have shown it. But the evidence is so thin on the ground that there's a heck of a lot of room for interpretation.
Egfroth

Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

Biblioteca Nacional de Espana MSS Vitr/26/2 History of Byzantium from the late 12th or early 13th century, armor begins appearing at -31jpg and appears quite frequently afterwards.
http://bibliotecadigitalhispanica.bne.e ... ple_viewer
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

Oh, Glory and Trumpets! That's yer actual Skylitzes Chronicle!
Egfroth

RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

If you read Greek the script is very clear as well! Nice find. Wish most of my MS were wrote this clear.....

RPM
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

The armor images are saved and cropped already. I've spoken with Galfid (effigiesandbrasses.com / manuscriptminiatures.com) before about adding Byzantine/Armenian manuscripts to the site, and he's been open to the idea since there's interest in the community.
http://manuscriptminiatures.com/search/ ... ew=gallery
I can send the cropped images to him if that would be easier access for others.
Russ Mitchell
Archive Member

Post by Russ Mitchell »

Hey, side note for SCA people doing this -- your thrust-and-throw javelins are ABSOLUTELY legit here. I don't have the article handy (and it's in Hungarian which like one total other archiver besides me reads), but in a couple of the Byzantinomagyar dustups, cavalrymen throwing javelins is mentioned explicitly.
No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care.
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

Thought I'd add a few pics from my own collection. There are several from photos I took in the "Dovecote" church, which is carved into the side of a volcanic rock cliff in Chavushin in the Go"reme valley in Kappadokia, when I visited there in 1990. These are military saints from a frieze on the church wall of the Forty Martyrs of Sebaste, dating to the reign of Nikephoros II Ouranos 963-969 AD, many with names written on the wall next to them, as follows: St Akakios, St Bebianos (or Vevianos), St Eliakos, St Esukhios, St Eunoikos, St Kapiklarios, St Mikalos (Michael), unknown saint, unknown saint, 3 unknown saints, unknown saint, and a detail from one of the two mounted figures in the frieze, showing scale armour over mail.

There are others in this group which are not in these links and I will add them as attachments when I get the chance.

The great value of these pictures produced in regional areas is that they are far enough away from Constantinople to be relatively free of the "classicising" tendency of the capital in particular, where artists simply copied old examples, so they got progressively more and more out of date and unrealistic. The regional ones are more likely to reflect what was actually being worn. And have a look at the variety or types of armour in even this relatively small group - scale, lamellar, different configurations of armour, different leg protection and waist protection. Byzantine armour wasn't all the same, by any means, and this example in particular shows how wide the variation could be, even in the same time and place.

There are also an 11th century ikon of St George carved from steatite rock, and another of St Theodore which has had the shield mutilated by a western owner (perhaps the ikon was stolen by the soldiers of the Fourth Crusade) to show his own coat of arms.

I believe the best way to get historical accuracy in one's portrayal is to make it as close an approximation to the originals as one can, based on contemporary representations and archaeological finds (which are sadly rather thin on the ground when it comes to Byzantine arms and armour). So here's some contemporary representations for you to help with your portrayal.

Hope these are of interest and of use.
Last edited by Egfroth on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

Here are some more pics from the Dovecote Church; One horseman has label next to his name - he is a Magister (a position in the Byzantine hierarchy) named Melias. The other is unknown, though there's been a suggestion from Raffael d'Amato that he's intended to represent John Tzimiskes, who overthrew Nikephoros Ouranos and became Emperor in his place. Note that you can see mail just below the neck of this figure, presumably indicating he's wearing his scale corselet over a mail lorikion

And the guy at the right hand end of the frieze next to the horsemen - the only one on foot carrying a spear as the cavalrymen are. IMHO these spears appear to be made of bamboo, which grows wild in Kappadokia.

I think there are more guys in the frieze than I've included here, but I'll have to check through them to see which ones are still missing.

In the meantime - enjoy!
Attachments
magister melias.JPG
magister melias.JPG (81.15 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
Unknown horseman Dovecote Church.JPG
Unknown horseman Dovecote Church.JPG (81.34 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
Dovecte spearman.JPG
Dovecte spearman.JPG (37.47 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
Last edited by Egfroth on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

More Byzantine armour from contemporary pictures. The first is St Ioanis (John) from the Forty Martyrs of the Dovecote Church, the others are labelled accordingly. BTW it's because of ikons like these that you get those outrageously over the top representations of Byzantine soldiers in certain Osprey books (see the thread on Varangian Guards here for some).

What are we to make of these bi-coloured klivania? I note that they only seem to occur in enamelled ikons, never on parchment paintings, frescoes etc. Maybe they're just a way of making the ikin more colourful? I don't think they should be taken seriously as accurately representing the colours of the armour. The decoration on such things as tunics, leggings etc on the other hand, may well be accurate representations of what was being worn, as they seem to appear in other media as well.
Attachments
Ioanis.jpg
Ioanis.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
centurion 11th century crucifixion ikon Hermitage Museum.jpg
centurion 11th century crucifixion ikon Hermitage Museum.jpg (87.19 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
13th cent St Theodore spearing dragon Hermitage Museum.jpg
13th cent St Theodore spearing dragon Hermitage Museum.jpg (85.1 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Last edited by Egfroth on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

And more. Note the apparently rigid sleeve protection on Joshua, a very attractive sword and an aventail apparently just made of fabric - not much protection there - maybe it was just to keep the sun off? And the pseudo-arabic decoration on both helmet and aventail.

You may recognise the centurion from a very bad line drawing in the Osprey book "Byzantine Armies 886-1116". He appears to have a raven on his shield with a bit of cloth in its beak.

The soldiers have interesting helmets, each has a guige on his shield (the left-hand shield, by the way, could have come straight off the Bayeux Tapestry), the swords appear to have some sort of decorative streamers (or straps?) attached to the pommels and there are good details of the scabbard suspension for the sword on the right.
Attachments
Joshua.JPG
Joshua.JPG (61.59 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
centurion from an 11th century crucifixion ikon
centurion from an 11th century crucifixion ikon
ikonCenturion.jpg (27.14 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
guards from the same ikon. Note the shields
guards from the same ikon. Note the shields
ikonSoldiers.jpg (96.34 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

And some more.

St George has a rather large round shield in the shape of a flattened cone - the border decoration is pseudo-arabic script. He has what appear to be puttees protecting his calves and you can only see the sleeves of his armour. The rest must be hidden under his gorgeous epilorikion

Nestor has a kite shield, as has the guy next to him (out of picture)
Attachments
13th or 14th century,  think.
13th or 14th century, think.
StGeorge3.jpg (47 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
From a church in Greece. 12th century, I think.
From a church in Greece. 12th century, I think.
St_Nestor.jpg (99.18 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
military saint from one of the rock-carved churches in Kappadokia - probably mid 10th century
military saint from one of the rock-carved churches in Kappadokia - probably mid 10th century
military_saint.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

And yet more.
Attachments
St Demetrios from Hosias Loukas Church
St Demetrios from Hosias Loukas Church
DemetrioDetail.jpg (41.55 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
11th century ikon carved from steatite rock
11th century ikon carved from steatite rock
StGeorgeSteatite.jpg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
St Theodore Tyro Church of Hosios Loukas.GIF
St Theodore Tyro Church of Hosios Loukas.GIF (69.7 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

And a couple of pics from the Madrid ]i]Skylitzes Chronicle[/i] of Byzantine cavalrymen actually on horseback!. Note the various armour and helmet styles, and the view (very rare) of an aventail seen from the back on the guy lying on the ground in the first pic.

Note: I've also put quite a number of pics of Byzantine armour on this thread which could be of use. Rather than duplcate them too much and use up the AA's file memory, I've just included this link for you so you can have a look.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
Skylitzes aventail rear.jpg
Skylitzes aventail rear.jpg (49.88 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Skylitzes assorted byzantine armour.jpg
Skylitzes assorted byzantine armour.jpg (95.54 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Skylitzes assorted byzantine helmets.jpg
Skylitzes assorted byzantine helmets.jpg (51.69 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Last edited by Egfroth on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

Oh, and one more, from the 14th century Church of Panagia Phorbiotissa of Asinou, near Nikitari in Cyprus. These appear to be ordinary soldiers and it's interesting to note the variation in their equipment. The one in fine scale armour to the right of Christ and Judas is holding a mace and is probably the officer. He has a flat conical shield (a bit hard to make out - it's seen side-on, so it looks like a triangle). All the aventails appear to be made of the same material, which I take to be mail. And as it's a night scene, there are a couple of torches as well.
Attachments
Betrayal 14th century Cyprus.JPG
Betrayal 14th century Cyprus.JPG (98.42 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

And details from a crucifixion pic from the "Buckle" church in Kappadokia - a centurion and two soldiers. Note particularly the touvia all are wearing as calf protection.

And St Demetrios from an 11th century ivory ikon. Interesting details here, too.
Attachments
Centurion Buckle Church.JPG
Centurion Buckle Church.JPG (72.59 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
soldiers buckle church.JPG
soldiers buckle church.JPG (72.22 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
DemetriosIvory.jpg
DemetriosIvory.jpg (48.04 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

And for LOTS of contemporary pictures (unfortunately most of which don't give dates) see HERE, plus a site HERE with several steatite (soapstone) ikons on it, some of which have already appeared above.
Last edited by Egfroth on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

And the centurion from a crucifixion fresco in the church of Nea Moni on the island of Khios (or Chios), who is the model for the Varangian Guardsman in the Osprey "Byzantine Armies 886-1118" book. Note, by the way, that he's holding his shield so the back is facing you.

Plus a couple more - details from a late 11th century fresco in the Serpent Church in the Go"reme valley in Kappadokia - St George and St Theodore.
Attachments
Nea Moni Khios centurion.jpg
Nea Moni Khios centurion.jpg (67.85 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
Late C11th SS George and Theodore Serpent Church Yilanyi Kilise detail 1.JPG
Late C11th SS George and Theodore Serpent Church Yilanyi Kilise detail 1.JPG (90.78 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
Late C11th SS George and Theodore Serpent Church Yilanyi Kilise detail 2.JPG
Late C11th SS George and Theodore Serpent Church Yilanyi Kilise detail 2.JPG (82.84 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
Last edited by Egfroth on Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egfroth

Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

And a centurion from the crucifixion scene from the Pala d'Oro - the golden retable screen in St Mark's cathedral in Venice - many of the ikons of which, including this one, were looted from Byzantium by the Venetians during the Fourth Crusade of 1204.
Attachments
Centurion Pala dOro.jpg
Centurion Pala dOro.jpg (29.03 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
Egfroth

Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

Post by Robert of Canterbury »

"Proecce ne Suffit" - Prowess is not enough

Work: https://www.bespokepewter.com
Words: http://forsooth.pbworks.com
Pewter research: http://pbsn3.pbworks.com