I Wanna Submit a new thread!

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

I Wanna Submit a new thread!

Post by Robert of Canterbury »

So, you'd like to start a new I Want to be a thread?

Here's how.

:!: Check it is not already covered in another topic.
We have a convenient Index
Look here too, http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=47873

Post in this thread, giving the subject,
I Wanna be a ".........."

Be specific, give dates, give social class, give a complete definition of what it is you want to be.

I will then split it into its own topic, and Voila!

you have your own bright shiny new thread :)
Last edited by Robert of Canterbury on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:19 am, edited 7 times in total.
Aonghus
Archive Member

Post by Aonghus »

This is not a request for another thread on any specific kit or topic but a general request for all the threads. Besides descriptions and pictures of items to be used for the presentation, how about listing a few (let's say your top three to five choices) books dealing with each specific theme. This should not just be limited to the readily available Osprey books either :) But, it should also not include books that are impossible to get (either priced too high or out of print). The books should be well respected, but not too scholarly :). General histories, biographies, social histories, and like the like that can be easily digested, but do not present grossly incorrect information (note: some scholarly debate is o.k. i.e. the presence of aketons / gambesons / etc. in the 9th and 10th centuries)

Does any of this make any sense?
scott2978
Archive Member

Re: I Wanna Submit a new thread!

Post by scott2978 »

I've checked the index and there are some threads that are close to what I want to do but I don't know enough to determine whether those are close enough for me.

I want to do a living history (historical accuracy, non-SCA) impression of a danish knight from around 1292.

I have loved reading the forums for a while and am glad to have a chance to finally do an impression of my own.

Thanks!

Scott

EDIT: I'm NOT a crusader.
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

I want to be this guy Image

English armour from the time of the battle of Agincourt, showing the latest style of great bascinet, with plate defences for the throat and neck rather than the mail aventail of the 14th century bascinet. While offering greater protection, the great bascinet restricted any movement of the head, and both styles would be seen on the battlefields of the early 15th century.

The armour is primarily based on the tomb effigy of Ralph Greene, at Lowick church, Northamptonshire (died 1417), and the very similar effigy of John de Vere, Earl of Oxford.

The surcoat displays the heraldry of Thomas Montagu, Earl of Salisbury.

Reproduced on good quality heavyweight paper from a pencil drawing by Graham Turner.
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
DeCalmont
Archive Member

Post by DeCalmont »

Post in the thread you think is close, see what you can come up with. You would be surprised at what develops with a few questions! :)

DeCalmont

scott2978 wrote:I've checked the index and there are some threads that are close to what I want to do but I don't know enough to determine whether those are close enough for me.

I want to do a living history (historical accuracy, non-SCA) impression of a danish knight from around 1292.

I have loved reading the forums for a while and am glad to have a chance to finally do an impression of my own.

Thanks!

Scott

EDIT: I'm NOT a crusader.
In Aqua, Vitam; In Vino, Veritas; In Cervisium, Felicitas; In Scotos, Illustratio
DeCalmont
Archive Member

Post by DeCalmont »

Post this over in this thread, it's tailor made for ya! ;)

MJBlazek wrote:I want to be this guy Image

English armour from the time of the battle of Agincourt, showing the latest style of great bascinet, with plate defences for the throat and neck rather than the mail aventail of the 14th century bascinet. While offering greater protection, the great bascinet restricted any movement of the head, and both styles would be seen on the battlefields of the early 15th century.

The armour is primarily based on the tomb effigy of Ralph Greene, at Lowick church, Northamptonshire (died 1417), and the very similar effigy of John de Vere, Earl of Oxford.

The surcoat displays the heraldry of Thomas Montagu, Earl of Salisbury.

Reproduced on good quality heavyweight paper from a pencil drawing by Graham Turner.
In Aqua, Vitam; In Vino, Veritas; In Cervisium, Felicitas; In Scotos, Illustratio
takaetun
Archive Member

Post by takaetun »

I want to... Wear a Sallet! Not sure if this really fits here, but wasn't sure where else to post it, so here goes!

I'm in love with sallets, but have never really seen any kits with them that don't have effectively full plate augmenting it, or at least plate arms and legs and a brigandine. I don't really have the money for plate, and most definitely don't have the ability to cart that much weight around university all day before a fighter practice. I'm going to be buying a Sallet from icefalcon very soon (my head is too large for anything bar custom helms, and I haven't heard of anyone better), but wanted kit to go along side it.

I'm not really fussed about which location or culture, as I can always go "I went there" (I have a Scandinavian persona name, but that's about it), but I would like an ability to rock up in awesome period looking kit, both in armour and out. Are there any armies or nations or groups that fit the "have Sallet, don't look like are wearing much plate" bill?

Thanks.

(Oh, and I'm in the SCA, in Lochac.)
~Sigvald Sviðanda
DeCalmont
Archive Member

Post by DeCalmont »

Try Here!

takaetun wrote:I want to... Wear a Sallet! Not sure if this really fits here, but wasn't sure where else to post it, so here goes!

I'm in love with sallets, but have never really seen any kits with them that don't have effectively full plate augmenting it, or at least plate arms and legs and a brigandine. I don't really have the money for plate, and most definitely don't have the ability to cart that much weight around university all day before a fighter practice. I'm going to be buying a Sallet from icefalcon very soon (my head is too large for anything bar custom helms, and I haven't heard of anyone better), but wanted kit to go along side it.

I'm not really fussed about which location or culture, as I can always go "I went there" (I have a Scandinavian persona name, but that's about it), but I would like an ability to rock up in awesome period looking kit, both in armour and out. Are there any armies or nations or groups that fit the "have Sallet, don't look like are wearing much plate" bill?

Thanks.

(Oh, and I'm in the SCA, in Lochac.)
John of Rhodes

Post by John of Rhodes »

I want to be a Hospitaller c 1300 , I have the Pembroke Great Helm, Ordered a Crimson Surcoat from a local Lady. I know about Braies and Chauses. What else do I need to look at?
DeCalmont
Archive Member

Post by DeCalmont »

John of Rhodes wrote:I want to be a Hospitaller c 1300 , I have the Pembroke Great Helm, Ordered a Crimson Surcoat from a local Lady. I know about Braies and Chauses. What else do I need to look at?

There's a wonderful index at the top of the forum page that has these great links in it;
Knights on Cypress
Transitional Knights in France
Hospitaler 1250

Just to get you started! :)
Brokenspear239
Archive Member

Post by Brokenspear239 »

I want to be a Roman Legionary!

I was planning to start out as an Auxiliary until my persona gains fame then as i progress, i would become a legionary, then centurion ect. So to start im looking for a lorica hamata as ive seen tons of articles and museums depict the basic soldier with a hamata and a round scutum. But i know that citizens of Rome that joined the army were placed as legionaries. Anyone know where i can find the gear for a basic Auxiliary kit?
Malphonso

I want to be: 16th century highland Scottish man at arms.

Post by Malphonso »

Just what the subject says. Highland Scottish man at arms. Supernumerary son of a knight and it need be SCA legal (or at least modified to be legal). I was thinking a kettle hat and coat of plates, not sure about arms and legs though. Any tips on garb would be appreciated as well.
Chintak Darshan

Re: I Wanna be a 10th century Muslim. 1st Crusade

Post by Chintak Darshan »

I'm looking for help on anything about 10th century Muslim. I want to be the Muslims in the holy land right around 1096 A.D. Soft kits ideas especially headgear, armor, and history would be appreciated greatly.

Saw many threads about middle eastern cultures from different dates; but i didn't find mine.

Thank you,

JDM
Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

Re: I Wanna be a 10th century Muslim. 1st Crusade

sobringiton22 wrote:I'm looking for help on anything about 10th century Muslim. I want to be the Muslims in the holy land right around 1096 A.D. Soft kits ideas especially headgear, armor, and history would be appreciated greatly.

Saw many threads about middle eastern cultures from different dates; but i didn't find mine.

Thank you,

JDM
JDM,

1096 is 11th Century, and four years off the 12th.

the Seljuk turks are the dominant power in the region, Effectively controlling the Abbasid caliphate in Baghdad. If you want to do Seljuk, there is a thread for you already.

check the 12-13th C Ayyubid thread for basic background material, decide who you want to be, then let us know. eg an Abbasid faris/syrian footman in Jerusalem/antioch/baghdad/damascus/cairo whathaveyou.
"Proecce ne Suffit" - Prowess is not enough

Work: https://www.bespokepewter.com
Words: http://forsooth.pbworks.com
Pewter research: http://pbsn3.pbworks.com
SigRandr Vadrefjord

Post by SigRandr Vadrefjord »

IWTB 10th-11th century Slavic . just would like alot more info on this i am tossed between this or viking i have found all the info on viking that i needed just would like more on Slavic between those dates.
SigRandr Vadrefjord
Barony of Flaming Gryphon
Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

SigRandr Bjornson wrote:IWTB 10th-11th century Slavic . just would like alot more info on this i am tossed between this or viking i have found all the info on viking that i needed just would like more on Slavic between those dates.
what do you mean by slavic? Bulgar? Rus? Polish? Croat?

might I suggest here as a starting point?
viewtopic.php?t=63641

Along with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs

Cheers
Robert

Corcran mac Diarmata
Archive Member

I wanna be a Norse/Irish mercenaryin the early 11th century

Post by Corcran mac Diarmata »

I'm looking to portray a mercenary from the early 11th century (battle of Clontarf) living in Ireland, but could have norse elements, through either trade, or looting.
Remember, we're all just geeks playing dress-up.
Vigulfr
Archive Member

Re: I wanna be a Norse/Irish mercenaryin the early 11th cent

Post by Vigulfr »

myq13 wrote:I'm looking to portray a mercenary from the early 11th century (battle of Clontarf) living in Ireland, but could have norse elements, through either trade, or looting.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43165&start=210

I'm doing something similar, I'm going 8th century Scot with Norman/viking influence.
One can turn an eggplant into a weapon if one thinks right.
-datesaburouyukiie
DeCalmont
Archive Member

Re: I wanna be a Norse/Irish mercenaryin the early 11th cent

Post by DeCalmont »

myq13 wrote:I'm looking to portray a mercenary from the early 11th century (battle of Clontarf) living in Ireland, but could have norse elements, through either trade, or looting.

You might also try here;

viewtopic.php?p=1612921

and here as well;

viewtopic.php?t=49333
MicRidley
Archive Member

Post by MicRidley »

I want to be a 975-1030ad mongol.

My knight is a Byzantine mercenary Viking but my persona is Mongol.

I know it's not necessary, but I'm attempting to make us from the same era.

He is late 10th century, born around 951 ad.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what Mongol tribes existed around then.
I figure they wear typical Mongolian tunics with the extra front flap.

But did they have lamellar then? If not I'll just hidden armor it.

What other weapons aside from bows and armor aside from lamellar were used?
Batu

Squire to Viscount Sir Ulfgar Thorvaldsson.
Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

Moor, I'm going to get a wee bit snarky here, but you evidently couldn't find the index, or be bothered to read the first post in this thread, where you are explicity told to look at the index. With a hyperlink and everything.

I'll try again.

You wanna be a visigoth?
then you need to click the following link.
viewtopic.php?t=46634

brought to you by the wonders of the internet, and a whole bunch of work on many peoples part.

honestly, it only takes a wee bit of effort to reap great reard, but you do need to make the effort.

(Why yes, I have just returned from a pint and a half lunch, Why do you ask?)

boris_
Archive Member

Post by boris_ »

I want to wear a Corinthian/barbute. I prefer not to do ancient unless I can find a Jewish persona. I know the barbute was popular in Italy, may have been used by gallowglass, but nothing beyond that.
Paul the Small wrote:The spirit is wiling, but the bank account is weak.
boris_
Archive Member

Post by boris_ »

I want to be a Ballesteros (military scouts/rangers) from the Christian conquest of Jerez de la Frontera in 1231.
Paul the Small wrote:The spirit is wiling, but the bank account is weak.
The Red Knight
Archive Member

Post by The Red Knight »

I want to be an English knight at the Battle of Crecy (1356).
"Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus"

http://orderofthemarshal.org
http://modernchivalry.org
DeCalmont
Archive Member

Post by DeCalmont »

The Red Knight wrote:I want to be an English knight at the Battle of Crecy (1356).
Take a look at the following;

viewtopic.php?t=44305[/ur] [url]http:/ ... hp?t=85680

viewtopic.php?t=43175
Paladin74
Archive Member

IWTB: 13th Century English Knight

Post by Paladin74 »

IWTB a 13th English Knight- I've seen a number of threads that deal with certain aspects (one on sword belts, another on ailettes for instance) but nothing that covers what I need.

Armor - other than a hauberk, what sort of additions could I make (plate knees, elbows, shynbalds perhaps?)
Soft kit - what would I be wearing under my armor? What would I be wearing at leisure?

And anything else you can think of that would be pertinent. I would like to get close to LH accuracy, if not spot-on. Also, what should I focus on first?

I would also like suggestions on where to get everything; I realize that I'll probably have to go full-custom for a lot of it simply because the only way to get the perfect fit is if it is made or built for me.
Last edited by Paladin74 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis. -Pindar

Knight, Order of the Marshal
Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Post by Henrik Granlid »

Far as I can tell, chainmail, chainmail and more chainmail.

This fella has a good look down and looks fairly SCA legal (depending on how his mittens are padded. He needs elbows as well.)

I have seen something along the lines of hidden springsteel mittens somewhere out there, if you could dress a pair in chainmail, you'd be set. What you should keep in mind is that at the start of the 14th century, there really aren't an awful lot of plate of any sort, not in vambraces, not in greaves, and greaves are pretty much the first piece to be improved in knightly armours. Metal shows up later on in the 14th, but for 13th, you're stuck in maile for England (to my knowledge).

EDIT: Here's a search of England, Scotland and Wales from 1200 to 1299

http://effigiesandbrasses.com/search/?y ... &genders=M

1244 is the first sign of any sort of hard metal, it being, possibly, a kneecop, since we see them on later effigies, but could simply be an un-mailed area above the knee, maybe of thick fabric to connect the thigh and shin mail and allow for flexibility and fit.

After this, there really isn't a whole lot of things on effigies, there are kneecops and they grow in popularity, one gent from 1294 have some sort of Eilettes or rondels on his arms, giving you a reason to have elbow cops with rondels on them if you feel like it, this man also has kneecops, but only regular hosen and turnshoes.

I hope this helps. You could always use barrel plastic inside of the channels of a gambeson, or linnen-covered hardened leather to cover up your forearms, thighs and shins in more rigid material than padded linnen underneath the chainmail.

EDIT 2:

Your first focus should be on becoming legal.
Especially considering the period kit needing a lot of tailored, riveted mail.

As such, I would suggest:

Helmet nr 1
Gauntlets 1.5
Elbowcops, Kneecops, Gorget nr 2
Gambesson, could be a bit thinner on your forearm to accomodate for a later addition of hardened leather vambrace covered in the same linnen.
Padded cuisses to prevent your drumsticks from a sound drumming.
Kidneybelt, cup.

Ready to rumble

Now, to build on this, add hardened leather covered in the same linnen you used for your gambeson over your forearms (unless plastic splints inside of the channels) and for your shins, this will make you look like a walking pajama, but it will also keep you whole.

Pajamaboy and ready to move on.

Chainmail haubergon, prefferably tailored to your measurements (with gambeson on), try to cover your gauntlets in the same rings if possible, bonus points if it all sits together OR if you can slide your entire gauntlet into the palm-slit of your mail mittens. NOTE: Mittens are a luxury, plate is safe, plate is fine, don't be too worried about plate gauntlets or demis and a basket hilt.

Final step:
Get your legs armoured up in chainmail, covering from toe to upper or middle thigh.

And you should be done. Take note that this is how I would go about getting this kit together and might well be something you are not interested in following to a tee, and might even be critiqued by other people with a LOT more experience than I have. The short version is get your helmet, get your rigid protection and your padding, throw a surcoat over it and go to town. Upgrade to chainmail later.
Last edited by Henrik Granlid on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caius705
Archive Member

Post by Caius705 »

Age of Craft has the mittens covered in mail you speak of, I believe.
"This quote was enough reason on its own to join AA. Period."
-Scott Landua
Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Post by Henrik Granlid »

Yes, or, well, they are covered in suede or some form of fabric, but yes, those were the ones I thought about, I have, however, never seen them in person, as such I do not know how they would look with a mail covering.
Paladin74
Archive Member

Post by Paladin74 »

Thank you, Henrik! Seeing as I'm moving more toward a living history impersonation rather than SCA I can forego the hard/hidden armor and focus on the correct look. So it is a short sleeved haubergeon then, not the full sleeved hauberk?

Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Post by Henrik Granlid »

I am fuzzy with the names, I did, of course, mean the full sleeved Hauberk, tailored to fit and ending in mail mittens with a slit leather palm, a quick googling of "mail mittens" should give you some pictures of people with this style of "Hauberk with mittens." and I have to admit that this is one of the coolest looking sorts of knights that can be found, if I had the money, there are three "Primary" sets I would keep, 14th for SCA, 15th for Harnischfechten and 13th for my "Knight workshops" I do with children when I'm out with the Knight Company.
Paladin74
Archive Member

Re: IWTB: 13th Century English Knight

Post by Paladin74 »

I guess it isn't worth splitting off, mods?

Paladin74
Archive Member

Re: IWTB a 13th Century English Knight

Post by Paladin74 »

I am aiming for at or after the Battle of Lewes, 1264.

Paladin74
Archive Member

Post by Paladin74 »

My request is still unfulfilled. Did I miss something?

TenguTengu

I Want To Be a Suebian Tribesman Warrior

Post by TenguTengu »

I want to be a Suebian tribesman warrior, during the time of Tacitus' study (AD 50-ish). My history knowledge is weak, but I'm having trouble finding information on these ancient warriors NOT directly related to the total war game.

I understand they were mostly infantry, relying on axes, maces, javelins and spears, as the old Germanic forests disallowed for highly developed long archery (though I also understand they existed). As an archer myself, I would love to incorporate a bow into my character, but throwing axes and javelins suits me just fine as well; always keen to learn something new.

As such, I would like to be a young Suebian nomadic warrior, relying on agility rather than heavy armor, with just enough money to have one good tool of war, whether a beautifully carved mace, shield, or even a sword. An accomplished hunter, adept at cloaked raids at nightfall. Very dramatic, no?

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction? Thank you in advance!