I Wanna Submit a new thread!

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Jehan de Pelham
Archive Member

Re: I Wanna Submit a new thread!

Post by Jehan de Pelham »

I would like to recreate and revisit my original 14th Century Esquire thread, titled The Material Culture of a late 14th Century Esquire on Campaign V2.
He who does not give what he has will not get what he wants.
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

I want to be an English knight mid-late 14th century. I haven't narrowed it down further but here are some pictures. This is for Dagorhir, (initially) maybe SCA later. So I'd like it to be on the lighter side If I can, but looks are important.

ImageImage
Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Post by Henrik Granlid »

http://effigiesandbrasses.com/

Search England, Martial, Male and your time.

Far as I am aware, the center hinge is a very German thing and France and England both used the side-hinges, if you want to go late, you could go for a Grand/Great Bascinet with a rounded face rather than a pigface.

Remember not to have your Aventail too long, the ones hanging down to your solarplexus or nipples are way, way too long.

Do you fight Basket Hilt or full gauntlet?

For mid-century armour, you'll really only want a Coat of Plate, the Kussnach is a good extant example of a slimmer design with some of the Wisby versions being really rather boxy.

For late-century armour, you can go either a Globular breastplate with a fauld (brigandine as seen in your picture, or metal), or you can wear a Corrazina or as slim and fitted a coat of plate as you can get, but mostly, you'll want the hourglass shape you get from the previously mentioned armours.

I think there is an "English man at arms" thread in here, so go have a looksie and see what you can find =)

EDIT: Have a look here
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47927

There is an illustration of what I think you're after, a quick "search google with this image" in Chrome should help you find other related threads discussing that armour getup, I KNOW there is one even better on here, but I can't find it.
Hospitaller@Acre
Archive Member

Post by Hospitaller@Acre »

I want to be a Christian Turkopole 1100 to 1250
Wilburnicus

Post by Wilburnicus »

I want to be a Knight Hospitaller as he would have appeared at the Battle of the Horns of Hattin 1187
rmyancey

Post by rmyancey »

I WTB a Bohemian knight of the Přemyslid dynasty. I'm a total noob so all help is much appreciated.
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

That's a pretty big time frame rmyancey, 9th century–1306 according to Wikipedia. Care to narrow it down a bit? :)
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
Kephri
Location: Kalamazoo, MI, Pentamere, Barony of Andelcrag, Canton of the Three Hills

I want to be a Norse-Gael

Post by Kephri »

I would like to be a Norse-Gael from the Hebrides Islands sometime between 800 and 1100 AD. I was thrilled when I found out that Vikings and Celts interacted in this area and time because those are my two favorite ancient cultures and I was having a difficult time deciding between the two.

I am a lady so I am looking for female garb suggestions and also an aspiring fighter so information on armor and weapons would be good. I am hoping there are options for shields besides a round viking shield. I have been training with a borrowed strapped heater shield so I was hoping I could use a strapped teardrop or something like that. I like the straps but I would be willing to learn to use a round shield if that's what is most appropriate. I also already bought an occular viking helm which I hope to use. I hope that might fit in my time period but I haven't been able to find a difinitive answer.

Also looking for name critiques and advice. I chose a tentative name (it's in my signature) but I fear that it is not appropriate to this time period. I can try to contact a herald if nobody here has experience with that.

I am doing lots of research but any additional direction or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Lena Erickson
SCA Name: Sigrún Ormsdóttir
Ritter

Post by Ritter »

I want to be an Anglo-Norman household knight c. 1185-90 CE. I am a history student and the Angevin empire is my especial area of study. I'm frankly fascinated with the campaigns of Henry II and Richard I in Aquitaine, Poitou, and Normandy. If I had to pick one guy I'd like to imitate, it would be William Marshal.

I'm from a reenacting background and am one of the dreaded stitch counters. I already own a proper riveted hauberk and will be purchasing a gambeson to wear beneath it. I think I pretty well know what do as far as soft kit goes, but have yet to find a good source for woolen chausses. I'm especially looking for advice on how to make my required hard armor as unobtrusive as possible. The helmet is of concern to me, as I'd rather avoid those very obvious welded steel bars. I had thought of wearing one of the early proto great helms, the variety with the face plate. With the limb armor, I'd love some ideas for things I can wear under my mail, or perhaps simply under a surcoat. I would like to avoid using an obviously aluminum shield, if possible. Or anything else you think might be useful!
Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Post by Henrik Granlid »

Friend wants to be a: mid to late 14th century Moorish soldier from around Jerusalem.

I've dug and dug and dug but I just can't find any good information on either armour or clothes of the era, there are some modern illustrations, but even that is hard to find.

What type of helmet should he be looking at?
Lots of hidden armour under what type of garments?
He refuses to fight in Bazubads, considering them unsafe, so those are also out.
Any other visible armour?

Basically, I'm stumped, what on earth should he equip himself with?
William Redfox
Location: Canton of Okewaite, Barony of Rowany, Kingdom of Lohac

Re: IWTB a 13th Century English Knight

Post by William Redfox »

Paladin74 wrote:I am aiming for at or after the Battle of Lewes, 1264.
Ditto
Ferte manus certas

Pintrest page
http://www.pinterest.com/ausnapoleonicco/
Andrei

Re: I Wanna be a 1500 AD Russian Soldier

Post by Andrei »

My persona for the SCA is a merchant or minor boyar based in Volgograd area during the Grand Duchy of Moscow, after the decline of the Mongols. My current setup is a random setup to get authorized and fighting but I want to move toward a more authentic kit. Some of the armor seen on this forum makes the persona much more authentic and looks spectacular. I'm trying to be as authentic as possible, but do have some budget restraints.

I haven't found a good helmet that isn't under $1000 for my persona. I'd like it to have the sharp pointy top, also needs to be fairly large because my noggin is huge. I'm not a huge fan of the helmets with the face mask, but the option to add an aventail from the cheeks down would be nice. something resembling a shishak

I'm thinking I want to do lamellar chest which would have been a dospekhi

For arms I am thinking bazubands, leather ones I've seen around here look really good

For legs I'm not quite sure what they did, most seem to just have a mail tunic that seems to offer some protection but I'm not quite sure on these. I picked up on the idea of greaves that would be called a burulik that basically seems to be a shin guard made out of metal.

For hands I'm thinking of trying out the pre-cut mittens that polar bear forge sells and seeing if I can make them over this winter. I haven't done extensive metalworking in the pass but from the instructions it seems it would not be that bad assuming I took my time.

Most of what I've found has been based off of http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/

Most of the kits I've seen are a bit earlier then what I want to do, but I'm wondering if the armor really did not change all that much.
Archon

Post by Archon »

I wanna be a greek hoplite with a corinthian helmet. But I need one made for a child too I already have what I need. Anyone know someone who can cut a helmet down for a child or custom make one? Want it to be like this http://www.kultofathena.com/images/DS26WB.jpg. Thanks!!
RWarneU

Post by RWarneU »

I want to be a late 14thC (1365-1380) Swedish man-at-arms crusading in the Baltic.

I already have a C.o.P and kettle hat is currently under construction.

My questions are:

Would I have splinted leg armor and shynbalds or solid piece?
Or perhaps gamboise cuisses and floating cops?

Also for the kettle hat, would a mail coif be more accurate than a padded coif to be worn under the kettle?

Thanks

Arne
Andrew C.

Arne Ulriksson
East Kingdom
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Welcome and well come, Arne.

Any variety of splint leg, including splint cuisses with plate greaves. We've even found boiled leather greaves in historical examples, well formed to the anatomy of the lower leg -- wet-form 'em first, bake 'em later. Decorative tooling -- minimal and optional, done before the baking. Search "water hardening" here onsite.

Gamboised cuisses with hard cops are good too; somewhat earlier than split legs overall, but with considerable overlap in time, combined with splint as well. Your choices are considerable for mid-to-late-fourteenth legharness.

Padded coif or mail coif, either is as authentic as the other for your man-at-arms. One's a little colder in bad weather, but since there's padding in the both of them...
Guillaume Duchamp

I wanna be a Swiss Guard/Pikeman

Post by Guillaume Duchamp »

My goal is to be a spearman/pike user. I would like to have the more modern style garb they have but with it's own color combination.

Garb- Similar to Modern look, with Black, Red, and White.
Helm- Comb Morion w/ Bar Grille
Chest Armor- At some point a SS Breastplate
Armor - Completely hidden plastic armor for now.
Weapon - Pike/Spear

I have been fighting in Belegarth for around 10 years and am making the transition into SCA. In doing so I would like to stay true to my style of fighting as far
as using a Spear. I also am very intrigued and motivated to going the route of a Swiss Pikeman.
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

Hi Bastien, can you shed a little light on what you mean by "Modern?"
Are we talking 1400's here? 1500's? Or like 1700?

EDIT* Ah I see you stated "Comb Morion" in your description. So you are looking for a more medieval version of the modern Swiss Guard correct?

If this is the case I suggest looking at the Battle of Pavia- 1525
Or getting them to start the thread" IWTB A Swiss Mercenary at the Battle of Pavia 1525"
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
Airlock

Post by Airlock »

I want to be a 14th century Irish mercenary. I've read the threads that I can find in this direction, and they haven't really answered my questions. I really love the Irish look and feel off the battlefield, but the options as far as armor is concerned leave something to be desired (at least from what I've read) when it comes to SCA standards.

Specific questions:

What sort of weapons would be used? I know swords wouldn't be too common, but I've read that they do use axes, light spears, and darts (which are small javelins, from my understanding), along with long and pointy knives.

What sort of shields would be appropriate? Also, helmets?

I'm pretty sure scale mail would pass, but what about lamellar? As far as I'm aware, it's easier to construct, so that would be preferable, since this would be my first time putting together a kit.

Please excuse my ignorance, any help would be appreciated. Thanks much.
robstout
Archive Member

Post by robstout »

Hi Airlock. You may want to check out the Gallowglass thread.
Thatnewguy

Post by Thatnewguy »

I have a reverse I WTB:

I like leather splinted armour and Wisby coats. If that's what I like What do I want to be?
Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Post by Henrik Granlid »

You want to be a 1330's through 50's knight or soldier. The later in the 1300's you go, the less splint you see on knights (though it remains on soldiers, especially in germany).

But yeah, 1330, 40 and 50, primarily german.
If you want to go later, the splints stick around but the coats of plate become more advanced and better fitted and eventually turn into covered cuirasses with solid backplates or complex back defenses.

A Corrazinna works for the 80's and 90's although you'll want to remember that it is primarily an infantry armour due to the split front.

Helmets for the early 14th include kettle hats, greathelms, open faced bascinets and bretache bascinets.
Late 50's could also use a klappvisier.
And I believe England have some sort of side pivoted round faced bascinets as well.

Edit: here are some pictures, the helmet is a bit off, since it's an Italian visor from later in the century but honestly, nobody would fault you in the field for that or any other bascinet.

And here's an actual person
Thatnewguy

Post by Thatnewguy »

Thank you so much! This is a great place to start.
mistercheese

Post by mistercheese »

I wanna be a 1500s Manchurian soldier.
I am aware of a few types of armour that I would consider close enough, and would like to mix parts of them as necessary to get something practical for sport combat (particularly SCA, but there are quite a few different historical groups with different rules near me, so it would be good to make the Armour quite safe and well covering so that it might be more versatile). Deviating from history in the form of hidden parts would be more preferable than changing the design, as it would be nice to be able to put away the plastic and have a reasonably authentic piece left over.

Things that still need to be determined are
-What size plates and where the rivet holes in them go
-What fabric to use for the CoP (currently thinking thick/layered cotton)
-What to make the plates from (currently thinking blackened 2mm thick mild steel)
-What to use as arm armour.
-Whether to use the single, long, coat or the shorter one with separate skirt

Sources below
U806P1081T2D1618F6DT20101116162805.jpg
U806P1081T2D1618F6DT20101116162805.jpg (76.49 KiB) Viewed 4674 times
http://chinese-armour.freewebspace.com/ ... urhaci.jpg
https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0275/7 ... 036424.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 926408.jpg

It would be great to hear how any of you think it should be done.
Azrael The Craftsman

Re: I Wanna be a North German Warrior... or something like t

Post by Azrael The Craftsman »

I have been in the SCA (unofficially) for a year and a half now, and am wanting to start competing in heavy combat.

I need an armor... and to figure out what my persona will officially be.

I know that I want to be from one of the northern clans (Norse, Norman, Saxon, Goth, Viking, etc...), and I am somehow obsessed with lamellar armor.

My trade is that I plan on being an adventuring wood craftsman. I am a jack of all trades as an every-day-Joe (... well actually it's Josh.) but in the SCA, I'm starting up a business that sells wood based (as well as others) drinks such as Sarsaparilla and Birch Beer, as well as Cream Soda and other natural drinks. I'm also planning on selling my hand-carved walking sticks out of the same shop.

Anyway, to the point... I'm needing a persona-related armor, and an armor-related persona. I would really like to find a race that uses lamellar, but I'm not all-that attached to the idea if there isn't one. I'm also skilled in wood crafting, so a wood type wood (get it) also be even more fit to my persona.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Re: I Wanna be a North German Warrior... or something like t

Post by Henrik Granlid »

Azrael The Craftsman wrote:I have been in the SCA (unofficially) for a year and a half now, and am wanting to start competing in heavy combat.

I need an armor... and to figure out what my persona will officially be.

I know that I want to be from one of the northern clans (Norse, Norman, Saxon, Goth, Viking, etc...), and I am somehow obsessed with lamellar armor.

My trade is that I plan on being an adventuring wood craftsman. I am a jack of all trades as an every-day-Joe (... well actually it's Josh.) but in the SCA, I'm starting up a business that sells wood based (as well as others) drinks such as Sarsaparilla and Birch Beer, as well as Cream Soda and other natural drinks. I'm also planning on selling my hand-carved walking sticks out of the same shop.

Anyway, to the point... I'm needing a persona-related armor, and an armor-related persona. I would really like to find a race that uses lamellar, but I'm not all-that attached to the idea if there isn't one. I'm also skilled in wood crafting, so a wood type wood (get it) also be even more fit to my persona.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Welcome!

First of all, drop the notion of persona controlling armour. If you want it to, that's amazing, but it doesn't have to.

Lamellar for anything West of Poland is pretty much out during the 7th to 10th century as far as I am aware. If you want true lamellar armour, look to the cataphracts and officers of Byzantium, that is where you'll find the lamellar. Let your persona be Scandinavian 8th century, fight in byzantine 10th century gear, wear a brittish Tudor outfit to court and keep a Japanese silk garment for the hottest days. Or go full in on the maille armour, occular helmet, wear gauntlets masked as leather and hide your hardpoints under tunics. Trim your 9th century garb in silk reproductions from the era and Wear the jewelery and shoes.

Basically, there are two ways to go about it, either you let your persona steer your fighting gear and you go maille and hidden rigids, or you fight in what you want to fight in. Byzantine and Rus are your best bets for lamellar.
DelTufo

Post by DelTufo »

Hi!
Iwtb a Southern Italian knight From 1250-1280

I'm interested in recreating a noble man under Frederick the II in the Kingdom of Sicily until the Battle of Benevento 1266. Armour, crests, and clothing
And also i'm interested in informations about the knights under Charles of Anjou who conquered the Kingdom after the Benevento batte

At this stage i' ve made those things. civilian

And armour

Augustus

Post by Augustus »

I want to be a footsoldier fighting with the Teutonic Order in the closing days of the 13-Years War (right around 1450).
I imagine a sallet would be standard head armor but for a footsoldier I have no idea what armor would be worn over the torso (certainly not the extravagant harness worn by the wealthy)
However, my main concern is what clothing I would have worn during this time period. I understand that landsknecht were wearing extravagant outfits. However, as a soldier for a holy order would I be more likely to wear simple attire?
Noson

Post by Noson »

I want to be a Wallachian Man at arms XVth century.

I want to be a Wallachian man at arms, 1450s. Ive seen they are a little different from the Western Europe soldiers, even though they share some things. Maybe one of the elite foot soldiers that fought with Vlad Draculea against the Ottomans. Not just about what kind of armor they wore, but also, what kind of shields and what heraldry they had painted in the shield. Was it the 15th century Wallachian coat of arms? would some of them have curved swords besides a spear or Guisarme?

Ive wanted to do this for a long time. But im always doubtful in my research i end up doing nothing. i wish i could take some artistic licenses by mixing Western Europe stuff with Byzantines.
Paladin74
Archive Member

Post by Paladin74 »

Unless you're putting together a Living History impression, I don't see why you can't take some artistic or in some cases practical, license. Part of the fun is in accumulating, the other in upgrading in the sense of getting it to be more historical. Above all though, have fun with it- if it isn't fun, you're either doing it wrong, or doing the wrong thing entirely. Best wishes.
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis. -Pindar

Knight, Order of the Marshal
Noson

Post by Noson »

Paladin74 wrote:Unless you're putting together a Living History impression, I don't see why you can't take some artistic or in some cases practical, license. Part of the fun is in accumulating, the other in upgrading in the sense of getting it to be more historical. Above all though, have fun with it- if it isn't fun, you're either doing it wrong, or doing the wrong thing entirely. Best wishes.
I think it will have to be that way... France, Holy Roman Empire, England, and most Kingdoms from Western Europe seems to have a lot of information about their equipment, while Kingdoms like Moldova, Wallachia and Ardeal (Transylvania) seems to be shrouded in mystery, compared to the others. Even Transylvanian paintings in their churches display little. Though a lot of people agrees that they MAY have a lot of influences from neighboring Kingdoms.
Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

Post by Robert of Canterbury »

Noson wrote:I want to be a Wallachian Man at arms XVth century.

I want to be a Wallachian man at arms, 1450s. Ive seen they are a little different from the Western Europe soldiers, even though they share some things. Maybe one of the elite foot soldiers that fought with Vlad Draculea against the Ottomans. Not just about what kind of armor they wore, but also, what kind of shields and what heraldry they had painted in the shield. Was it the 15th century Wallachian coat of arms? would some of them have curved swords besides a spear or Guisarme?

Ive wanted to do this for a long time. But im always doubtful in my research i end up doing nothing. i wish i could take some artistic licenses by mixing Western Europe stuff with Byzantines.
It's in the index already
viewtopic.php?t=48127
"Proecce ne Suffit" - Prowess is not enough

Work: https://www.bespokepewter.com
Words: http://forsooth.pbworks.com
Pewter research: http://pbsn3.pbworks.com
Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

Paladin74 wrote:My request is still unfulfilled. Did I miss something?
You missed the index.
viewtopic.php?t=50065

Karl Helweg
Archive Member

Post by Karl Helweg »

A new fighter here recently brought the Hungarian Black Army to my attention: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Army_of_Hungary

I am embarrassed to say that I was not aware of this very significant military entity. They tended to wear blacked plate armour including sallet helms. They used a type of hand pavice and a variety of weapons which makes them a very adaptive SCA fighting persona.

Karl
http://earngyld.org/
I am from Oertha so I am automatically cooler than you.
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

I want to be under the sea!
Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

Gerhard von Liebau wrote:I want to be under the sea!
You will need to build an octopuses garden, and make sure it has plenty of shade.. :P