I Wanna Be a Schwarze Reiter

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Post by Rittmeister Frye »

AvM wrote:Gordon, you rock.
Can I be you when I grow up?
You bet. You're already ahead of the game by having ridden from childhood without a break. I had a LONG (about 20 years) span between my early horse infatuation and my second, permanent one. :)

So just keep reading (LOTS), riding, and collecting cool stuff and you're there. 8) And don't be afraid of branching out in your interests. The more experiences and knowledge you have, the more you can apply it to, and increase your understanding of, your primary area of interest. As long as it has to do with horses, that is!

Cheers!

Gordon
"He who wields the sword will be first served"
Charles Napier
AvM
Archive Member

Post by AvM »

Rittmeister Frye wrote:
AvM wrote:Gordon, you rock.
Can I be you when I grow up?
You bet. You're already ahead of the game by having ridden from childhood without a break. I had a LONG (about 20 years) span between my early horse infatuation and my second, permanent one. :)
I fear you may have me mistaken for someone else.

I've ridden a horse maybe three or four times.
I'm interested in the persona and lifestyle, but a horse is completely out of my means at the moment.
Though, I might be able to take a horse riding class at school.
Andrew R. Mizener/Herr Andreas von Meiβen
Cadet to Warder Brighid MacCumhal
Qui Quaerit, Invenit
Trystyn of Anglesey wrote:Love you mine Kingdom well and goodely, Sirrah or surely thye scrotume wilte knowe the roughe edge of mye foote.
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

AvM wrote: I fear you may have me mistaken for someone else.

I've ridden a horse maybe three or four times.
I'm interested in the persona and lifestyle, but a horse is completely out of my means at the moment.
Though, I might be able to take a horse riding class at school.
I am afraid that I have! :oops: Gads. Please accept my apologies for that gaff. At any rate, do take some riding classes if possible, if for no other reason than to give yourself a better perspective on some of the needs for how armour needs to fit, how swords need to hang, etc. You don't get all of it just from sitting on a horse without all the kit of course, but you do get some good perspective on how you need to move, and thus how things need to operate on you. That in turn helps you in your further understanding of the people you are emulating.

BTW, I didn't get back into riding until I was in my late-20's, and then only as time and funds allowed. Didn't buy my own horse for another 10 years or so. Some things take time, so don't completely abandon the idea.

Good luck on everything though, and keep at it!

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Ancel fitzCharles
Archive Member

Re: Non-noble

Post by Ancel fitzCharles »

[quote="Karl Helweg"]Chef, The Arms & Uniforms books talk about Rieter being minor nobles. It even mentions French nobles learning German in order to join. Personally, I don't see myself doing this interpretation but it wouldn't upset me to see some folks in nice balck&white armour out on the field. At least they get to wear riding boots and use basket hilted broadswords.

Karl;
What "Arms and Uniforms" books are you refering to? I'd like to track them down, if possible.
Ancel
It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows--Epictetus
Karl Helweg
Archive Member

good price

Post by Karl Helweg »

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... 5%26y%3D11

This is a copy at a good price (I've seen over $100.). The series is out of print and sort of a grandfather to the Osprey books. The Osprey French Religious Wars mentions them but Osprey could certainly stand to publish a Warrior edition on Schwartz Rieter.

I would like to see a better cataloging of their boots, under clothes, range or armours, wheellocks, basket hilts, tack, encampments, etc.... There are probably many original sources buried somewhere since illustrated "soldiers' manuals" where coming into fashion at that time. There are even rumors that Papenheimer published a similar cavalry manual but I have never seen it. At least I have George Patton's.

Now for a pointless modern picture:

Last edited by Karl Helweg on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karl
http://earngyld.org/
I am from Oertha so I am automatically cooler than you.
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Re: good price

Karl Helweg wrote: I would like to see a better cataloging of their boots, under clothes, range or armours, wheellocks, basket hilts, tack, encampments, etc.... There are probably many original sources buried somewhere since illustrated "soldiers' manuals" where coming into fashion at that time. There are even rumors that Papenheimer published a similar cavalry manual but I have never seen it. At least I have George Patton's.
It's all floating around out there, just pulling it together is the trick. Using the illustrations from Kreigkunst zu Pferde by Walhausen (1616) is a good start, though a generation of so past when they were truly "Schwartzereiteren". Styles did of course change, not only in armour but in boots, clothes, saddles and pistols. But not too much. 8)

Hmmm... maybe I should write a book... :wink:

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Ciaran Gunn

Post by Ciaran Gunn »

Karl,
I love this picture,I have the poster of it from the exhibition came to San Francisco in the early 90's. A lot of really cool late period armor. A lot of people who aren't SCA types like it as well. Almost more art than armor.
Attachments
BlackandWhiteSuit-KO.jpg
BlackandWhiteSuit-KO.jpg (70.33 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
Karl Helweg
Archive Member

sale

Post by Karl Helweg »

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=95222

Did you see the black&white breastplate for sale here? Sort of reminds me of this elaborate pattern.

Something that fancy would make nice "Sunday got to war" armour but I couldn't bring myself to practice in it. I am hesitating to try and flute my Landsknecht harness.

[img]http://www.neusorge.de/attachments/Imag ... platte.jpg[/img]
Karl
AvM
Archive Member

Post by AvM »

Ok - this is a PURELY SCA question.

In my Kingdom, to authorize in heavy you begin with sword-and-shield. Though I acknowledge that in all likelihood a Reiter would not have carried a shield in combat (being, as I gather it, essentially a mounted pistoleer and swordsman), I have the following question:

IF I wanted to use a historically plausible (if not historically accurate) shield (~1570), what am I looking at for options?

Buckler? Round Target? Square Target? Adarga? Something else I don't know about?
Qui Quaerit, Invenit
Trystyn of Anglesey wrote:Love you mine Kingdom well and goodely, Sirrah or surely thye scrotume wilte knowe the roughe edge of mye foote.
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Andreas;

Round target of steel. Many garnitures were provided with a shield such as this for foot work when it was needed, and during such events as the French Wars of Religion, the Royalists were required occassionally (such as during the seige of Rouen, for example) to press heavy cavalry into use as VERY heavy infantry. They carried such round shields and wore half-armours for such duty. And although to the best of my knowledge the French weren't able to pressure the German Horse into providing such troops, it's not out of the question that some were tempted to do so with promises of hefty bonuses. It worked with the Swiss, after all.

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
AvM
Archive Member

Post by AvM »

Thanks, Gordon!

That's what I suspected.
Is this the kind of target you're speaking of?

The follow-up questions would then be: how big would it be, how should it be strapped, and where could I get something that approximated it? :D
Qui Quaerit, Invenit
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Andreas;

Sean Wales uses his steel target for SCA Heavy Fighting, thus:

He is of course portraying a Borderer who has lowered himself to dismount and fight, but it's a nice kit, though lighter than what you're looking into I imagine. I'll have to ask him just where he obtained his target, but I THINK it was a standard Windlass version with some modifications. He probably did them primarily to up-grade for SCA regs (I would certainly also want to pad the thing with burlap and horse-hair before letting someone pound on it with a club, since they're designed to deflect steel swords), but I believe that the strapping is pretty much the same.

Mine is made from a spun disk with a heavy rim welded on, with arm straps riveted in place. They have buckles on them to adjust, but also so I can place a guige-strap on it as well (in the photo you posted, the target is hanging from my neck via the guige). Somewhere I have a photo of an original Scottish targe which shows the strapping nicely. Since those are simply an anachronistic version of the 16th Century wooden version of the Anglo-Scottish target, no reason to not use the information presented by it.

Here's another photo of Sean in full fighting fig. I love the fact that he's chosen to go with the shield of the period he's portraying, rather than go for the "best for SCA use" shield. After all, what's the point of it if you can't do it with style?

Cheers!

Gordon
Attachments
Sean Wales.jpg
Sean Wales.jpg (57.36 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
Charles Napier
AvM
Archive Member

Post by AvM »

Cool!
Thanks again.
Were targes ever painted? Or just left raw metal?
Qui Quaerit, Invenit
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

The English certainly painted them, though exactly how they went about it is open to question. I'm sure that there were period methods of ensuring paint stuck to metal without having to bake it on. Anyway, the English standard was white with a red cross upon it.

Edited to add: Plenty of other targets/shields were painted black, of course, just like armour. So it would probably depend upon how you keep the rest of your armour as to how you present your target in this regard.

Cheers!

Gordon
Last edited by Rittmeister Frye on Sun May 10, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Napier
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

AvM wrote:Thanks, Gordon!

That's what I suspected.
Is this the kind of target you're speaking of?

The follow-up questions would then be: how big would it be, how should it be strapped, and where could I get something that approximated it? :D
Gordon, could you show a picture of the handle& strapping configuration?
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Sure, but I'll have to go out and take a photo of it in the morning... Hold On!

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Post by Dragon_Argent »

- I have a quick side question that just occurred to me...
The Schwartzereiteren were by their very nature cavalry...
Why then- are some of the armours fitted with braygets (sp)?
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Darned good question, one which I have wondered at myself. The only possible answer is that the armours were made for both mounted and dismounted service, sort of as a garniture. Otherwise they'd be worse than useless on horseback!

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Post by Dragon_Argent »

[quote="Rittmeister Frye"]Otherwise they'd be worse than useless on horseback!
I mounted my horse after doing some foot combats without remembering to take my box out - OOH! THAT was a very painful mistake!

I guess as these forms of cavalry became more common, Demi-lancers in England, Schwartzereiteren in German lands, Chevau-légers in France etc. that they took over the job of the medieval knight as a kind of all round combatant- at sea, mounted, sieges etc... and they wanted harness to protect for all occasions... Gentlemen adventurers etc...
It's all I can think of really; otherwise not sure...
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Dragon_Argent wrote:
I guess as these forms of cavalry became more common, Demi-lancers in England, Schwartzereiteren in German lands, Chevau-légers in France etc. that they took over the job of the medieval knight as a kind of all round combatant- at sea, mounted, sieges etc... and they wanted harness to protect for all occasions... Gentlemen adventurers etc...
It's all I can think of really; otherwise not sure...
Precisely, to the best of my knowledge. Of course one see's these on full armours as well, so they may have been one of those things that was pretty much expected as a part of a decently-made armour, whether or not it had greaves and sabatons. I think that it's to make the armour suitable for several employments, and probably came with a steel target as well, both to be carried in the baggage. Or it's just a bit of parade extra, for show! :)

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
AvM
Archive Member

Post by AvM »

Rittmeister Frye wrote:Sure, but I'll have to go out and take a photo of it in the morning... Hold On!

Cheers!

Gordon
Any chance of this picture, Gordon?

I, too, am interested.
Qui Quaerit, Invenit
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Sorry about the unconscionable delay, I got kinda busy. Anyway, here are some photo's of the target, front and back. As you can see, the guige is attached very simply with buckles. "One of these Days" I'll line this one with some burlap and padding and make a guige for my Steve Moffatt target, which is much fancier!

Cheers!

Gordon
Attachments
shield_front.jpg
shield_front.jpg (72.86 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
shield_back.jpg
shield_back.jpg (74.1 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Charles Napier
JvR
Archive Member

Post by JvR »

Not sure if this was addressed. I will re look over the posts.

As far as garb goes. Were they similar to late period Landsknechts? Slashed sleeves , feathers and such?

The reason I ask is I am having a Landsknecht harness made. Well its already made, its being fitted and modified to fit me. Its a breastplate, back plate and tassets to my knees. I am having the bp tapered and pointed a little like a peascod.

Would it be possible to cross over to a Reiter? I am tempted to paint the harness up and since Landsknechts never used black and white armor, I figured maybe I could cross over if the garb is close.

I am leaning Reiter because the they at least used basket hilted swords and a small shield. Whereas , portraying a Landsknecht would, be off with a basket hilt and shield.

Note to add. I am not a re enactor or anything. This is for SCA use.
Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Post by Dragon_Argent »

This is a general 16thC cavalry question so I figured it overlaps here...

What do we know about what their (campaign) equipment was carried in? Was it all on pack animals and wagons or did they carry some personal items in saddle bags and satchels like later cavalry? - What images are there of this?

Thanks,
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Per clothing, I believe that the Landsknechts and Reiters both followed pretty standard German fashions of the day from the mid-16th Century onward. Pluderhosen, slashed doublets and especially jerkins, etc. but with tighter sleeves than seen earlier in the century. Since most of it was covered in the illustrations of the Reiters though, it can be hard to be certain. But what you see seems pretty standard. Check out Jost Amman's "Illustrations for Artists and Illustrators" from Dover Books. It was first published in 1568, and has tons of good stuff in it.

Per packing equipment and goods on campaign, most would be carried either in carts, wagons or pack animals. While there are some illustrations of saddle bags from prior to the late 17th Century, they're all civilian, and most are specifically for the servant's horse. A gentleman would NEVER (I firmly believe) be caught dead on a horse with saddle bags on it, and certainly never on a Warhorse. Such things were for a later day and age when governments paid their men regularly and expected much of them and their animals, preferring their soldiers to ride a single mount who also had to carry all of the impedimenta as well. So any sort of saddle bags would be large, and sufficient to be used on a pack animal rather than as a small addition for the back of the riding saddle.

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Post by Dragon_Argent »

Thanks Gordon! Much as I suspected...

What I REALLY need is a "Planchet"...
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Or Mosqueton, or Sancho Panza, etc. Sometimes they're hard to get, others hard to keep. Girls, schools and whatnot are SUCH a distraction to good help! However, a good servant is invaluable to have when doing just about anything in the period as a gentleman!

Cheers!

Gordonl
Charles Napier
Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Post by Dragon_Argent »

I do have an attendant - problem is he is terrified of horses!!!

- That said- I still feel it would be an advantage to make period style carrying/storage equipment for events... Even if they get carried there in a car boot rather than a wagon...

- Ah Dumas! I can't think of a single modern author who comes close.......
So many great stories, so many great characters.....
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Dragon_Argent wrote:I do have an attendant - problem is he is terrified of horses!!!

- That said- I still feel it would be an advantage to make period style carrying/storage equipment for events... Even if they get carried there in a car boot rather than a wagon...

- Ah Dumas! I can't think of a single modern author who comes close.......
So many great stories, so many great characters.....
Well, I suppose your attendant can carry everything himself if he's terrified of horses. "No worries, my lad! Here, just carry this 300 pound load yourself! Then you won't have to deal with the horse! That's a good lad!"

Indeed, Dumas! I LOVED all of his stories! They are a wonderful means of learning history, even if it's only to get a taste of it and them move on to discover the sordid realities. But he really was not a bad historian really, and the pace makes up for the discrepancies! Better by far than most modern "Historical Novelists"!

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Karl Helweg
Archive Member

wheellock bargain(?)

Post by Karl Helweg »

http://wyldewares.com/pistol4.aspx

He seems to be having some sort of sale on right now too. I have not dealt with him yet though.
Karl
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Karl;

A couple of other vendors, such as Loyalist Arms in Nova Scotia, are also carrying this new wheellock pistol. I haven't seen one in the flesh yet, but from what I can understand it's not too bad.

Basically it's the Jacobean/English-lock/doglock pistol's barrel and furniture with the fish-bellied stock, and of course wheellock fitted to it. Not quite right, but then again, not horrid either. As long as it works. My own experience with India-made arms is that they are pretty serviceable if purchased from a reputable dealer. They certainly spark like hell (at least all of the flint-ignited locks that I've tried!)

These are at best mid-17th Century in style. On the other hand, with some work, one could revamp one of these into something quite close to a French-style wheellock from the late-16th/early-17th Centuries, or the Dutch versions of same. With a LOT of work one could make them into something approximating a French wheellock from the 3rd quarter of the 16th Century, but it would take some work, and many new parts such as barrel, stock, etc. Pretty much only the lock itself, with some mods to it, would be usable for that sort of thing.

On the other hand, IT'S A WHEELLOCK! There hasn't been a production wheellock available in this country since the 1980's when Navy Arms was importing the Mendi's from Spain, and they were only okay. We'll see what happens with these, but heck, I'm happy that ANYONE is producing a decent wheellock, even if it's the very late version. And at the price, while not cheap, means that anyone who REALLY wants to be a Pistolier or Harquebusier can purchase a pair of them, and do it! Woo Hoo!

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Karl Helweg
Archive Member

deal in

Post by Karl Helweg »

Gordon - that is pretty much my take; it is an affordable, production wheellock. I have one of the blunderbusses and after much work to make it suit me I am very happy with it. More than I expected that I would be. I had to have the frizzen hardened and I am wondering if the wheel will need it on this pistol too but now it sparks very reliably. The stock had a cheap lacquer dip but it stripped off easily enough and there was very nice wood underneath.

He has a sale on right now and I plan to order one. It should be here early September. He just updated his SALE page: http://wyldewares.com/

A wheellock has been on my "wish-list" for a long time. This one might look a lot more 16th century by the time that I am done.

It is not too far off the one in this 1568 portrait:

Last edited by Karl Helweg on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Karl;

Thanks for the info. Indeed, with a bit of work I believe that these could be used to put together a very good copy of a later-16th Century wheellock pistol or carbine, but it would indeed take some work. My old friend Nick Worthington did something quite similar to one of the Mendi pistols back in the '80's, and it was a very successful job.

Now if I wasn't already saving up for a brace custom wheellocks... 8)

(Edited to note:) Nice portrait, BTW! I like that one, but have not seen it before. Where did you find it?

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Dragon_Argent wrote:When wearing the short 16thC doublets and the various pants like truck hose and Venetians, how is the leg armour attached? The doublet waist would seem too short to be the attachment point. Are there specific arming points on the pants?
There are paintings showing boots being held up by straps going under the legs of paned/trunk hose, so it is possible that some sort of arming garment was worn underneath them for that purpose. On the other hand, one would expect that they would have arming hose of the latest fashion for pointing their cuisses to as needed. Since the hose was pointed to the doublet, it would eventually take up the strain of the weight. At least this is my take on it.

Interestingly as paned hose went out of style, to be replaced by Venetian hose, separate cuisses went out of fashion, to be replaced by the long tassets so common in the 30-Years War.

Cheers!

Gordon

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier