Warrior Noble of Gaul (Celtic Chieftain) 100BC-100AD

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

T. Finkas
Archive Member

Warrior Noble of Gaul (Celtic Chieftain) 100BC-100AD

Post by T. Finkas »

Warrior Noble of Gaul
(Celtic Chieftain)
Circa 100 BC to 100 AD:

INTRODUCTION

This thread was originally posted in the Armouring forum in response to an inquiry about how to be a better "Celt" on the SCA tourney/battlefield (in other words, how to avoid being a "GeneriCelt"). In the spirit of the SCA's premise that all participants are, by default at the least low nobility, I outlined a kit that would befit a warrior of that social class. This guide is not meant to represent the average Celtic warrior.

Although my inital outline is geared toward that goal of describing a harness for SCA tourney combat, feel free to use this thread to discuss the portrayal of a Gaulish noble as it might apply to a wide range of purposes/pursuits (i.e. historical timeline, immersive tableau, experimental archeology, costume banquet, battle re-enactment, etc.).

While much of this suggested kit (as described below) is derived from information on the Gauls, it would perhaps also be applicable to related "celtic" tribes or peoples (i.e. native Brits, etc.).

---

HISTORICAL ARMOUR COMPONENTS

HELMET
Onion-top helm with large cheek pieces (some cheek pieces adorned with cluster of three bosses)
http://www.niximperial.com/hpics/tn6099.jpg

"Battle Bowler" type helm: a Roman style helm but with short brim going all the way around like a bowler hat, with typical Roman cheekpieces

Possible sources: Waldryk, White Mountain Armoury, Knotwolf

These styles will need to be modified with a back panel and bar grill or something similar to meet SCA requirements. Both of these are established Gaulish designs that might be okay for a Brit portrayal. Another option is a period Roman style helmet.

AFAIK the only examples of true British helmets we have from this period (i.e the Battersea helmet found in the Thames River)...

http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compa ... 305314.jpg

would seem to be impractical for SCA use (i.e. the helmet has 2 huge horns/cones shaped like Madonna's bra).

CORRECTION:
I have since learned that there is a style of helmet that was popular in Briton, other than the horned Battersea type. This other style is sometimes called the "Jockey Cap" type and it is not unlike the first helmet type described a few paragraphs above. The shape of the Jokey Cap helmet resembles a baseball cap worn backwards with the bill over the neck. The cheek pieces are often missing from extant examples though thaey are believed to have been originally so equipped. Cheek-piece styles range from Roman-ish to uniquely British styles.

TORSO
Maille shirt, short sleeve or sleeveless, hip length. Butted, rivited or welded will work with varying results. Consider riveted or welded for durability, and aluminum if weight is an over-riding issue.

SHOULDERS
Maille mantle. It looks like a 16th century Bishop's Mantle but opens down the front, closed with a special clasp. It could be use to disguise or hide a gorget.

ADDITION:
Another style of an appropriate mantle would be the Roman style "shoulder doubling" that seems to immitate the shape of the shoulders on a Greek linothorax armor.

GAUNTLETS
Simple mitten gauntlets of a plain non-descript pattern. There is little you can do about these from an accuracy standpoint. Go with what is effective and simple. Please please please--show no plastic here!!!

HISTORICAL CLOTHING COMPONENTS

TUNIC
Hip length or longer in wool or linen. Could be in plaid fabric but stick to more earthy/natural colors for the plaid. Actually, I would say artistically that it looks better to make the tunic a solid color and let the trousers be plaid or checkered. Long sleeved to hide arm harness.

Too plain for you? Consider applying some decorative trim to the hem and cuffs. Appropriate decorative motives might be checkers, spirals or other geometric patterns. Avoid the stereotypical Generi-Celt fondness for using interlace/knotwork as a decorative element. And I recommend really searching for stuff that looks less machine made and synthetic than the vast majority of trims you see offered by SCA merchants (and seen on typical SCA garb). This is a place where some extra care will go a long way to distinguishing your effort.

TROUSERS
Ankle length would probably be better for hiding leg armour. Again, could be tartan, houndstooth, herringbone or checkered fabric but keep it muted. Wool or linen would be best. And a sightly baggy fit will help in this case.

And for list combat it is helpful to sew a band of contrasting braid around the outside of your trousers at the appropriate place around the knee (i.e. below the knee?). This is a courtesy to your opponent who might not be able to easily detect where your hidden knees are located.

SHOES/BOOTS
I suggest an supportive, safe non-descript shoe or ankle boot. Can be disguised as a bag shoe by applying a decorative leather top that is hot glues or sewn to the boot. I'd leave the sole exposed for traction.

---

SAFETY ARMOUR COMPONENTS

GORGET
Any type that can be hidden or disguised and meets safety requirements

SPAULDERS
You can wear hidden plastic spaulders or pad out the maille mantle so it gives better protection. Hidden plastic or hardened leather plates are another option. Note that shoulder/upper arm protectors are not a typical SCA safety requirement.

ELBOWS & VAMBRACES
Hidden under tunic sleevs so wear whatever suits you. This is a time when plastic or aluminum works well because it is hidden. Note that vambraces are not required in all Kingdoms but highly desirable for safety.

GROIN, HIPS, BUTTOCKS, THIGHS, KNEES
Consider street hockey pants to be worn UNDER your trousers. You may be able to mount rigid knee cops directly to the hocky armour---you'll have to evaluate. You will need a sex-appropriate groin cup incorporated somehow.

LOWER LEGS
Again hockey armour or even police style riot leg armour might be a solution since it will be hidden. Lower leg armour is no typically a requirement.

HISTORICAL WEAPONS

SHIELD
Gaul: Tall oval with flattened edge at top and bottom.

Brit: Tall rectangle with rounded corners (i.e the Battersea Shield found in the Thames River)
http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compa ... 260149.jpg

Both would have a domed metal boss at center to conceal and protects a single-hand grip (much like a "viking" shield. Shield could be curved a bit. Warning: a good way to ruin the look would be to use inappropriate decoration or heraldry on such a shield.

WEAPONS
A normal SCA rattan sword would approximate the sword you would no doubt have as a Chieftan. Another appropriate weapon would be a one-handed thrusting spear.

---

EXTRA GOODIES

CLOAK
A cloak would be appropriate but perhaps too cumbersome? Too warm?Maybe a lightweight one for sake of panache and field presence? Your mileage may vary! :)

TORC
A torque would be a nice decorative touch but make sure it is bulletproof! It may be a nice component to help disguise a gorget. Add torc-like bracelets to this comment---could be worn over tunic cuffs.

BELT
The period solution would be very showy but expensive---a belt of cast and joined metal links with a ring and hook closure. Crafty Celts makes a beautiful one but it is pricey! You might be able to fake one for the field using a less expensive means an save the nice one for off the filed/dress use.

---

EXAMPLES & INFO

http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/celtic/latene.html
http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/celtic/plaid.html
http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/celtic/myths.html

http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/tlbminiatu ... b16038.jpg

http://www.sheshen-eceni.com/images/cel ... mk1dn5.jpg

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/osp_img ... 1435AL.JPG

http://www.modelkits-on-line.com/pages/ ... l/H052.jpg

---

DONT'S
  • Avoid wearing animal fur, fake fur, animal tails
  • Avoid wearing visible weightlifter/motorcycle type belt
  • Avoid wearing anything "Biker-looking" including black leather accessories adorned with nickel studs or dog collar spikes
  • Avoid wearing typical Scottish or Irish folkwear paraphenalia such as ruffled shirts, kilts, sporrans, socks with flashes, tam-o-shanters, etc., etc.
  • Avoid wearing visible motorcycle, Doc Martin, or Cowboy harness boots
  • Avoid using Celtic interlace/knotwork decoration or tooling
  • Don't use a cultural/period inappropriate heraldry on the shield
---

These are just suggestions based on looking at examples of the historical harness for such portrayals and modifying them in a practical way for SCA combat. These are just my speculation and would be subject to approval by appropriate officials.

I'd guess that not many SCA fighters with Celtic identities go to such lengths to present a impressive and historically influenced field appearance (in my opinion) and anyone who does make an effort like this would be a stand-out on the field---and a crowd-pleaser to boot!

Cheers,
Tim
Last edited by T. Finkas on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Virithos

Colors

Post by Virithos »

My current geeky Celtic book ("Hallstatt Textiles; Technical Analysis, Scientific Investigation and Experimentation on Iron Age Textiles" edited by Peter Bichler, Karina Gromer, Regina Hofmann-de Keijzer, Anton Kern, and Hans Reschreiter) tells me that by the Hallstatt period dyestuffs included madder, dyer's broom, woad, insect dye, Orseille, weld, apigenin dye, quercetin dye, and tannins.

The researcher made green-blue, blue, black, reddish brown, yellow, green, and olive green. I know dyers can make more interesting things using overdyes and different mordants and such. Check out "A Dyer's Garden; from Plant to Pot Growing Dyes for Natural Fibers" by Rita Buchanan. It has color samples from woad, madder, and dyer's broom plus a lot of other dye plants. That'll give you an idea of what colors are acheivable with natural dyes. Plus it's a small, inexpensive book that is widely available. Don't get too carried away with "earthy" and' "muted" colors.

(Not a dyer, just like wearing loud colors)
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

AFAIK "sell-ticks" is the way the basketball team name is pronounced.

HOWEVER...
Fair warning to anybody who pronounces "Celtic" as "Sell-tick" or "Celts" as "Selts" (when referring to the hostorical cultures)!!! If I catch you doing this I will chuckle unmercifully behind your back and consider you a dufus. And I will tell all my friends what a goofball you are. But hey, that's just me.

:D :D :D
Wolf
Archive Member

Post by Wolf »

tim, your talking about a simple coolus style helmet right? dome and small bill over the back. http://www.larp.com/legioxx/Brkhmstd.jpg ???
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

Thanks, BA.

Yeah, Wolf. More or less the same helmet style.
Lugorix

Post by Lugorix »

I understand that this thread is meant for SCA and that there is a need for protective equipment. Going by the archeological record, functional helmets in Iron Age Britain are nonexistant. I've long wondered how there were Briton warriors with chainmail and no helmets. Anyway, the coolus is not too far off, but with the wide neck-brim it is a Roman helmet. For more ideas on the development of Celtic helmets and comparisons to Roman types, I recommend looking in Antike Helme (1988, ISBN 3884670190). The book has over 800 pictures and is over 550 pages long. Should give lots of ideas on early helmets. Simply put, a Celt wearing a helmet is from the Continent.
Lugorix

<a href="http://www.kelticos.org/forum/index.php"><font color=red> Kelticos.org </a>
Wolf
Archive Member

Post by Wolf »

the coolus doesnt have a wide neck brim. 2-2.25 inch max
Felix Wang
Archive Member

Post by Felix Wang »

Lugorix wrote:I understand that this thread is meant for SCA and that there is a need for protective equipment. Going by the archeological record, functional helmets in Iron Age Britain are nonexistant. I've long wondered how there were Briton warriors with chainmail and no helmets. Anyway, the coolus is not too far off, but with the wide neck-brim it is a Roman helmet. For more ideas on the development of Celtic helmets and comparisons to Roman types, I recommend looking in Antike Helme (1988, ISBN 3884670190). The book has over 800 pictures and is over 550 pages long. Should give lots of ideas on early helmets. Simply put, a Celt wearing a helmet is from the Continent.
The archeological record is a very strict standard, and sometimes a little constrictive. There is, after all, only one Viking helmet, the Gjermundbu (sp?); but literary sources suggest other Vikings may have had some sort of head protection. It does seem that Britain was in constant communication with Gaul, so that a Gallic helmet on a Briton would not necessarily be unheard of.
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

Lugorix wrote:I understand that this thread is meant for SCA and that there is a need for protective equipment. Going by the archeological record, functional helmets in Iron Age Britain are nonexistant. I've long wondered how there were Briton warriors with chainmail and no helmets. Anyway, the coolus is not too far off, but with the wide neck-brim it is a Roman helmet. For more ideas on the development of Celtic helmets and comparisons to Roman types, I recommend looking in Antike Helme (1988, ISBN 3884670190). The book has over 800 pictures and is over 550 pages long. Should give lots of ideas on early helmets. Simply put, a Celt wearing a helmet is from the Continent.
I got my info here:

http://www.vicus.org.uk/documents/britishhelm.htm

They propose the Meyrick Helmet as example of British helmets.
Robert P. Norwalt
Archive Member

Post by Robert P. Norwalt »

I was going to go with the second helm on that page, for Northern Brittish Tribal 100 AD. Is that totally off base, since the find is North West Gaul?

Oh, BTW MRL has a shoulder doubling now, with leather trim for somewhat reasonable price. Roman for sure but can do for our rig.
Lugorix

Post by Lugorix »

I guess it depends if your looking to do heavy SCA style combat in which you'll need a helmet. But if you're looking to put together an authentic kit, then that helmet is the wrong century and culture. Northern British culture, even just arms and armor, is way different than Gaul. In Gaul they are using LaTene III weapons, elaborate helms like that, large oval shields, and even wearing chainmail. Northern British tribes, had very different swords, small shields, and no evidence of helmets or chainmail. There was an interesting chariot burial in Iron Age Scotland that suggests continental customs, but the other finds in the grave were British.
Lugorix

<a href="http://www.kelticos.org/forum/index.php"><font color=red> Kelticos.org </a>
Wolf
Archive Member

Post by Wolf »

Robert P. Norwalt wrote:

Oh, BTW MRL has a shoulder doubling now, with leather trim for somewhat reasonable price. Roman for sure but can do for our rig.
url? pics? where is this?
Robert P. Norwalt
Archive Member

Post by Robert P. Norwalt »

It was in this months catalog. Just search Museum Replicas Limited, pretty big web site. Not a lot of LH grade stuff, but ya get lucky now and again. They have pretty decent La Tene blade in the back page as well. I'll just make my own, but the handle is nice and one I'll probably ape.
Lugorix

Post by Lugorix »

T. Finkas wrote:
They propose the Meyrick Helmet as example of British helmets.
The curvilenear design is certainly British. There are examples all over Europe where Roman and other native art styles are worked together. The neck gaurd and the Legio II mark on it makes it appear more Roman. These two features may indicate the helmet was made post-invasion. Being copper alloy and having both Briton and Roman elements, it might have been the helmet of an auxiliary soldier.
Lugorix

Ean
Archive Member

Post by Ean »

Celt

from the word "keltoi"

hard C sound.
hot enough to melt refactory clay
Mike Garrett (Orc)
Archive Member

Post by Mike Garrett (Orc) »

It's unlikely that the Battersea Helm was designed for use in war. I've always believed it was a sacrificial item. The BM website has this to say about it.
Object record
Horned helmet

Iron Age, 150-50 BC
From the River Thames at Waterloo Bridge, London, England

A helmet for a god?

This 'helmet' was dredged from the River Thames at Waterloo Bridge in the early 1860s. It is the only Iron Age helmet to have ever been found in southern England, and it is the only Iron Age helmet with horns ever to have been found anywhere in Europe. Horns were often a symbol of the gods in different parts of the ancient world. This might suggest the person who wore this was a special person, or that the helmet was made for a god to wear. Like the Deal Crown, this was more of a symbolic head-dress than actual protection for the head in battle. The person who wore the helmet would need a modern hat size of 7.

Like many other objects, especially weapons, this helmet was found in the River Thames. These include the Battersea Shield, which was also made for conspicuous display rather than use in war.

The helmet is made from sheet bronze pieces held together with many carefully placed bronze rivets. It is decorated with the style of La Tène art used in Britain between 250 and 50 BC. The repoussé decoration is repeated on the back and the front. Originally, the bronze helmet would have been a shining polished bronze colour, not the dull green colour it is today. It was also once decorated with studs of bright red glass. The decoration is similar to that on the Snettisham Great Torc.

Height: 24.2 cm
Circumference: 58.5 cm
Niall Mór
Archive Member

Post by Niall Mór »

The shoulders you mention are badly represented in Museum Replicas. They are actually the Roman Lorica Hamata, or mail armour. Good pictures can be seen here http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEqui ... emake.html about halfway down the page.

Also, theres a statue of a gaul that shows this armor very well as well as the typical clothing and armour of the time. The picture itself is escaping me at this time but its in most books about the Celts.
Niall Mor
Squire to Sir Dmitriy Shelomin
Seneschal for The College of St Katherine
Robert of Canterbury
Archive Member

Post by Robert of Canterbury »

Side track discussion on SCA Period times moved here,

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=68623

Robert,
Moderator.
talaananthes
Archive Member

Post by talaananthes »

For the record, the shape of the Battersea "Shield" is not necessarily representative of a British shield of the period . . . especially considering that it would have originally been the (overly large and decorative) boss of a round (not elongated) wooden shield.
Warcry

Re: Warrior Noble of Gaul (Celtic Chieftain) 100BC-100AD

Post by Warcry »

I don't suppose the SCA would be to happy about me going out their the average celtic way unfortunately. I would find making a crowd of people run from a blue painted naked man a rather memorable achievement in my book :D
When cornered, yell as loud as you can. Those precious few seconds of surprise could save your life.