i WTB a Roman Gladiator

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Kain556
Archive Member

Re: i WTB a Roman Gladiator

Post by Kain556 »

Thomas you are just evil with your ratan tease.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Kain556 wrote:Thomas you are just evil with your ratan tease.
You're welcome.
Ephraim1222

Post by Ephraim1222 »

I know it's not Gladiator armor, but some comfortable light and maneuverable armor with decent protection would be a Linothorax from Ancient Greece. It's layers of linen glued together to achieve good protection and in the heat it molds to the body for comfort and is breathable. It takes a while to create but can be done by pretty much anyone and you can find the directions pretty easily online.
Kain556
Archive Member

Post by Kain556 »

so I am back and starting to formulate what I want to do to make this kit happen for me, does anyone have any pics or information on sheilds and ect for the Thracian or Murmillo and any other patterns or ect for how to make that happen would be great, thanks.
Riejckaert
Archive Member

Post by Riejckaert »

Working on this one as well. I have been hitting the gym daily(with obvious days here and there off) and am thinking gladiator is the way to go. Tired of the heat. My normal kit is hussar so you understand the problem. I don't like halfassing it so I have an issue wearing hussar helm and gear but as minimal armor. Hey I can work on my tan at the same time. Shopping around for either a secutor helm or a murmillo helm without the ridiculous shot catching rim. I actually found a pic from Pompeii that didn't have the rim, although a secutor helm would be cool too although a lot less air flow.

As to who did it. Gladiators were the rock stars of the Roman world. Initially they were slaves but more and more freed men started fighting in the arena as well for fame and fortune. Nobles started doing it as well and one Emperor fought 300+ battles Secutor style in the arena(at least they say he did). There was also Emperors Titus, Caligula and I want to say Nero who fought as well. There was one gladiator who was given the rudius 4 times, he turned it down each time so he could keep fighting. There are 30 something known fighting styles but only a couple are actually well known. There are some good articles on the subject if you dig around and find them.
Blow the whistle! Blow the whistle!
Alwin de SOSS

Post by Alwin de SOSS »

Hey there everyone,

So Ive just recently decided to start building a Gladiator kit. I've only just begun reading and doing research. I've got a pretty muscular build, and would probably go with a half bare chested kit.

I'll probably spend the most money on the helmet. Do any of you have any good resource links for gladiator helmet designs?
Riejckaert
Archive Member

Post by Riejckaert »

There's a few of us out there. I am on my second helm armorer and we both just got hit with a hurricane so I am still waiting(money from the first, helm from the second). My squire brother is a gladiator also, both of us fight bare chested. Tends to get some odd looks.

Persona-wise I play as a Dacian Auxilia turned citizen who joined the Games to be a Rock Star :) I use a two handed Falx and sometimes a sika or two. Not a shield fan to be honest.
Blow the whistle! Blow the whistle!