I want to be a Valsgard era Scandinavian (680 AD)

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Syrfinn
Archive Member

I want to be a Valsgard era Scandinavian (680 AD)

Post by Syrfinn »

Time period - Around 680 AD

Inspiration - Valsgarde 6 helm I am thinking of getting from Zweihammer Armoury.

Social Status - upper class leader of own warband/Minor chieftain.

What to put together for armor to go along with helmet for an SCA list legal presentation?
Finn O'Shannon KSCA
AEthelmearc
"In each of us are Two Wolves. One Good, One Evil. Which one do you feed most?"
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

Read: "Vendel Period Studies." "Valsgarde 6, 7 & 8 (separate volumes)" & "Waffen und Graber."

All this ought to keep you busy for a while.

Mord.
Tarrach Alfson

Post by Tarrach Alfson »

You can also check out my research on 7th century Northern European Warrior series. http://home.earthlink.net/~tarrach_alfson/id12.html
Torum
Archive Member

Post by Torum »

i would love to read Vendel Period Studies." "Valsgarde 6, 7 & 8 (separate volumes)" & "Waffen und Graber." but they are no longer in print as far as i can tell .. anyone know of anywhere i can fine more info??

torum
Maelgwyn
Archive Member

Post by Maelgwyn »

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE ... pc=PC_1236

Ask them to get the works for you on inter-library loan.
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

C'mon, nothing more on this one? Surely there has to be SOMETHING in print yet that can be accessed. Particularly here in the USA.
You can also check out my research on 7th century Northern European Warrior series. http://home.earthlink.net/~tarrach_alfson/id12.html
This link seems to be dead. Got another one?

I'm pretty interested in this one.

Christopher
War kittens?!!!

"Born to lose. Live to win."

Historical Interpreter- Jamestown Settlement Museum
Master's Candidate, East Carolina University
Graduate of The College of William & Mary in Virginia
Torum
Archive Member

Post by Torum »

the missouri edu links seem to be dead too......
Maelgwyn
Archive Member

Post by Maelgwyn »

Torum wrote:been there checked that :P
there is only one on statues of scandenavia apparently and im not sure howmuch help that will be....
Try again. Tell the staff what you are looking for and ask them to get it for you. Provide a complete citation in writing if possible. I bet they will have it in your hands within a few weeks at minimal cost. The library doesn't need to OWN everything, they just provide ACCESS to everything.
bigjon
Archive Member

Post by bigjon »

I am working on that time period too, for a SCA impression. I've got pic comming. What was the exact names of those books?
SISU
Samuel
Archive Member

Re: I want to be a Valsgard era Scandinavian (680 AD)

Post by Samuel »

anyone know where I can find copies of the valsgard helms that where posted on the missouri edu site? they where line drawings.
Haldan
Archive Member

Post by Haldan »

[quote="Samuel"]anyone know where I can find copies of the valsgard helms that where posted on the missouri edu site? they where line drawings.[/quote]

You'd have to talk very nicely to Halvgrimr

:)
Armand d'Alsace
Archive Member

Post by Armand d'Alsace »

SvenskaFlicka
Archive Member

Post by SvenskaFlicka »

The Gustavianum has the most amazing display of Valsgard and Vendel finds I have ever seen. Also, they don't allow photographs at all and the security guards believe American girls who claim they had no idea the museum closes so early. :)

I am bereft of further sources, however.
BjarkiLeach

Post by BjarkiLeach »

For inspiration for valsguard and vendel helms, try Thorkil, http://www.thorkil.pl/ he makes very pretty helms.

For body armour, Maille Armour over a war coat, I choose leather as the wool gets fluffed up under my maille, the warcoat is based on the pictures from the sutton hoo press plates. http://www.millennia.f2s.com/dancing.htm

hear is a thread with nice pics of some guys from east Anglia in Vangarian guard kit, based on finds from 6th-7th century migration period finds. http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic ... ght=vendel

My fighting kits is based, loosely on finds from all over Europe, and my soft kit is based on finds in Southampton UK.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/L ... directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G ... directlink

To make the combat kit SCA legal, I'm making arm and guards from leather and sheep skin padding, a gorget from thick soleing leather (I think this is legal I may well be wrong), and hourglass gauntlets. A spangen helm is on order from http://www.ashcraftbaker.com/ . As I want to keep my valguard helm as it is.

Migration period tunics are about knee to thigh length bunched up over a belt to bring them just over your bum. The trousers I use are thorsburg trousers relatively easy to make, or draw string trousers. The trousers "should" be herringbone or diamond twill wool cut across the bias so they fit snugly. I make mine from tabby weave linen as i am lazy. The tunic should be herringbone body with diamond twill arms, so it matches the bog finds from thorsburg. Again I'm lazy and tend to use tabby linen. There are other tunics like the Hogum one, but that is a **** to make as you need to get all the seams really really straight, or it looks silly. There are patterns on the internet, somewhere, the O in Hogum has little dots over it, but don't know how to do that on my keyboard.

I'm working on a wool herringbone kit, hopeful dyed in madder red.

Shoes are turn shoes, but I think that turn shoes are things found in graves only, and something like the roman Calcei (http://www.leder-peter.com/calcei.php ) would be more appropriate for living in as they are more substantial, just cut them without the fancy holes in the side so they are boots not sandals.

The leg windings are about 5 to 6 yards (I have big legs) of 4" herringbone wool again I tend to use tabby as its cheaper, only wool works as it needs to stretch. (http://historicenterprises.com/mens-dar ... 9_190.html). They are very warm and great 'round a camp fire.

Belts and fittings are changeable as to where they are found, saxon belts differ from Jutish or Angles, Frishian belts are also pretty, as well as the more southan stuff from the Byzantine empire.

A seax or side knife is found in most graves, as well as a spear or two. Shield bosses are found in higher status graves, as well as a few swords. Plus some nice hand axes. Petersfinger in Hampshire being one.

There are only 4 or so helms found for this period in the UK, plus the ones from the Valsguard and Vendel Graves,

and even less sets of maille, only one being found in the UK and a hand full in Europe.

I'm far from expert in girly clothing, but the placement of the jewelry suggests that the dresses were fitted at this time, as the broaches were in different places than those in viking or earlyer graves.

The best bit about migration period Soft kit, is there is lots of scope for making you kit your own, as there is next to no evidence.

Bjarki
Hjorleif
Archive Member

Post by Hjorleif »

I'm working to improve my Valsgarde era Scandinavian portrayal, and just recently finished working on a stainless steel Valsgarde 5 inspired helmet for SCA rattan combat.

It's based on the period example, as well as the work of Thorkil, Chris Gilman, Duke Tarrach Alfson, an extensively modified pattern I purchased from Talbot's, and much of the research cited in this very thread.

The aventail is of the long stainless welded variety sold by Master Knuut, and has been trimmed to long-ish period appropriate length (I wanted a little extra throat protection).

What's cool about it is that it's fairly easy helm to make, all said and done. My previous helmet building experience was a Valsgarde 6 kit from Zweirhammer, which prepared me pretty well for taking this on.

Best,
Hjorleif

*Photo credit to Laurie Jantzer
Attachments
th_Valsgarde5AJT4medium.jpg
th_Valsgarde5AJT4medium.jpg (5.68 KiB) Viewed 5942 times
th_Valsgarde5AJT3medium.jpg
th_Valsgarde5AJT3medium.jpg (5.61 KiB) Viewed 5942 times
th_valsgarde5AJT2medium.jpg
th_valsgarde5AJT2medium.jpg (5.26 KiB) Viewed 5942 times
Theuderic

Post by Theuderic »

Here's where I'm at right now, it's still evolving but i'm pretty happy with it. Almost all my stuff is bought and the majority of the functional armour elements are hidden.
EDIT: not sure why its only showing one of the photos.... the second one is just my kit
Attachments
This is my crew, We're hoping to improve a bunch of things over the coming year
This is my crew, We're hoping to improve a bunch of things over the coming year
Abyssinians 2012 V2.JPG (96.05 KiB) Viewed 5867 times
This is my full kit as of easter this year. Icefalcon Aluminium legs under Linengarb.com Rus pants, slint greaves and vambrace, rivetted maille, Zoombang shirt, hidden plastic elbow cops, aluminium oval shield, Coyote skins cos they're a tenth the price of wolf, helm is my own, in 2mm blackened stainless with Raymonds Quiet Press fittings and welded flat ring aventail, also blackened stainless.
This is my full kit as of easter this year. Icefalcon Aluminium legs under Linengarb.com Rus pants, slint greaves and vambrace, rivetted maille, Zoombang shirt, hidden plastic elbow cops, aluminium oval shield, Coyote skins cos they're a tenth the price of wolf, helm is my own, in 2mm blackened stainless with Raymonds Quiet Press fittings and welded flat ring aventail, also blackened stainless.
Vendel Kit Festival 2012.jpg (97.47 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
Hjorleif
Archive Member

Post by Hjorleif »

Theuderic, you look great!

I'd love to see the solo picture.

-Hjorleif
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

Click on it and it will open.
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
wAUrrior
Archive Member

Post by wAUrrior »

Theuderic, thank you for posting the pics. It's very inspiring to see the fruits of research. The whole group looks great!
I am working on my kit and this is excellent inspiration.
hivemind
Archive Member
Location: Coppertree, AEthelmearc (SCA) and Winterfell (Dagorhir)

Post by hivemind »

Well done!
Snorri Bjornisson of Coppertree, AEthelmearc, SCA
Primarch Ser Hivemind Saligia of the Cairnhold Legion, Winterfell, Dagorhir
Sigurd Fjalarson
Archive Member

Post by Sigurd Fjalarson »

So where's a good place to look for furs? What should be known about them before I buy one to wear? And does anyone know a pattern for the crossover style of tunic?

Thanks,
Sigurd
Sigurd Fjalarson,Heinrich von Faulkner
-But you can call me Randy

"Praise no day 'til evening; No wife 'til on her pyre; No sword 'til tested; No maid 'til bedded; No ice 'til crossed; No ale 'til drunk." ~ Havamal
Denewulf
Archive Member

Post by Denewulf »

I recall hearing/reading somewhere that there is a thought that the Valsgarde/Vendel/Sutton Hoo helms were old when they were buried, and thus possibly legacy items. Can anyone confirm/deny this, hopefully with some documentation? I'm in the process of building a Vendel/Valsgarde inspired kit, but am looking for a date closer to mid-6th century and Anglo-Norse.
Sir Denewulf orm-skald Ivarsson
My Skaldic Poetry on WordPress
Swete
Archive Member

Post by Swete »

Theuderic wrote:Here's where I'm at right now, it's still evolving but i'm pretty happy with it. Almost all my stuff is bought and the majority of the functional armour elements are hidden.
EDIT: not sure why its only showing one of the photos.... the second one is just my kit
I will be in my bunk... :twisted:
Squire to Sir Grimbaldus Bacon
Nihtgenga Fusleoð: Ærest æt acwallen, ærest æt gecringan!
Sigurd Fjalarson
Archive Member

Still curious on the furs, and also wondering where I should look for period ways to going out the helm kit from polar bear forge. Any ideas?

"Praise no day 'til evening; No wife 'til on her pyre; No sword 'til tested; No maid 'til bedded; No ice 'til crossed; No ale 'til drunk." ~ Havamal
Theuderic

Post by Theuderic »

Hey guys, Just wanted to post an update photo of my kit. This is the heavy version of my kit from the previous pic. I would call this more frankish/vendel than pure vendel, with the addition of the lamellar. This was inspired by descriptions of Charlemagne's bodyguard as being covered head to foot in iron. I reckon this would be as close as you'd get with the equipment of the period. The only thing I would add is gauntlets, of which there are some moorish ones apparently which are made from plate.

-Theuderic
Attachments
vendel kit.jpg
vendel kit.jpg (99.91 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
Dan Howard
Archive Member

Post by Dan Howard »

The Franks never seem to have worn lamellar. The only lamellar in that region dates to the period in which the Avars were in control and the style of this lamellar is consistent with Asian styles. Lamellar disappears when the Avars are driven out. What little evidence we have for Frankish armour suggests mail. We also know that Frankish mail was in demand further north and that Charlemagne placed bans on it being sold without permission.

It is pretty clear from texts like History of the Franks that there was a stigma associated with wearing animal skins. It was only worn by the poorest of people who couldn't afford proper clothing. It would seem inappropriate for a Frankish nobleman wear animal skins. At best you might be able to get away with some fur trim from one of the weasles (sable, stoat, ermine, mink, etc) but that is about all.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment by Pen & Sword books.
Sigurd Fjalarson
Archive Member

Would anyone be able to point me towards decent patterns for tunics, especially the crossover style, and pants that can be adapted for fighting patterns. My search is failing me and I'm not locating much usable patterns for migration era Scandinavians clothing.