I WTB a French Gendarme in 1525

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

R.Martínez
Archive Member

I WTB a French Gendarme in 1525

Post by R.Martínez »

Hello guys.

I wanna ba a first half of the XVI century French Gendarme or Man-at-arms from around 1525. With a non fluted Maxilian armour wearing decorated red cloth bases skirts over armour and wielding a Type XX or Type XVIIIb longsword with siderings.

Thanks.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Archive Member

Post by James Arlen Gillaspie »

There are two armours thought to have belonged to the Chevalier Bayard; I'm sure you've already seen this one, dated c. 1520, but England's Royal Armouries has another that is more like what you are describing, and is certainly French, if not perhaps the Bayard's.
Attachments
GenouillacBayard2.JPG
GenouillacBayard2.JPG (88.73 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
AvM
Archive Member

Post by AvM »

Maximilan armour was, almost by definition, fluted.
You'd be wearing good-quality Italianate armour (i.e. very little to no fluting). Full plate, with an armet, with very pretty surcote and skirts over the top.

Though not a primary source, Osprey's Pavia 1525 (http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_d ... itle=P5047) may be useful to you. It's kind of a low point in the gendarmes' history, but there are many contemporary wooducts and illustrations you might be able to make use of.
Andrew R. Mizener/Herr Andreas von Meiβen
Cadet to Warder Brighid MacCumhal
Qui Quaerit, Invenit
Trystyn of Anglesey wrote:Love you mine Kingdom well and goodely, Sirrah or surely thye scrotume wilte knowe the roughe edge of mye foote.
R.Martínez
Archive Member

Post by R.Martínez »

There are two armours thought to have belonged to the Chevalier Bayard; I'm sure you've already seen this one, dated c. 1520, but England's Royal Armouries has another that is more like what you are describing, and is certainly French, if not perhaps the Bayard's.
THAT was the armour i had in mind. Thank you guys.
Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Post by Dragon_Argent »

I realise this is an old post but I also am doing a Pavia era heavy cav impression.
I have found a few things-
- Some of the German armours are loosing their fluting more like the earlier SS armours, though roping and heavy borders are the norm. (eg. The KD Harness)
- French (or at least Southern French) Gendarmes fought on the Imperial side also (though not in such huge numbers) and are counted in with the German, Italian and Spanish Heavy Cav.
- The look is EXTREMELY cool! (for wargamers - check out the Wargames Foundry Renaissance heavy cav miniatures by the Perry Brothers)
- as a jouster and a foot combatant I find the garnatures of this period an excellent option... I intend to start with a basic field harness and slowly add exchange pieces.

Questions I still have-
- I cannot seem to find a clear contemporary image of arming doublets for the period.
- I has anyone ever worn the all in greave/sabbaton from this period? can you walk in them?
- What extra equipment do people recommend?
-weapons I have are a long sword, a mace and several lances, I will be making horse armour as well.

Any other suggestions?

R.Martínez, how have you gone with your project? Any images you can show me?
Alexandre Crane
Archive Member

Re: I WTB a French Gendarme in 1525

Post by Alexandre Crane »

(Partially cross posted to/from a similar thread)

So a friend and I have been looking at period tents the last couple of days, mostly out of curiosity and we got curious about what would be fitting for me/us.

I'm thinking of attempting late period, primarily Chivalric-based, French rich-kid. Ideas?
-Lord Alexandre Crane
Squire to Sir Evangelos Thrakios

“I should be profoundly grateful if you would permit me the chance to defeat you.”
"Armor does not hide hesitation."
"Fear denies faith."