I WTB a post viking era Dane 1157

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

marcus the pale
Archive Member

Post by marcus the pale »

I WTB a post viking era Dane. I'm looking for info specific to Denmark at the time that Valdemar I became king (1157). I know that there is German influence, and looking for information on the Baltic Crusades is a start, but what I really want to know is about the little things. How much does the past "Viking era" influence the areas clothing style, daily habits, and religion etc.

I'm looking at making a kit for the SCA, hard kit and soft kit. My idea so far is based around the early crusader style. Long ankle length surcoat, iron skull cap with attached chain to emulate a coif (may go for a nasal helm for a more northern look), most of the armor is going to be hidden as much as I can. I'm thinking of adding leg wraps and a 6 panel Scandinavian style cap to give the crusader soft kit a slightly more northern look.

I don't know how much info is out there on this period (that is in english) but any leads on source information would be helpful. Thanks

marcus
"Have you forgotten that it is in the furnace that gold in refined, increasing in value the more it is beaten and fashioned into different shapes?" -Christine de Pizan
marcus the pale
Archive Member

Post by marcus the pale »

Adding info found in another thread.
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=83594

Here is a donor image of a danish magnate ca 1080-1151

It was suggested that I look for the "Kings Mirror" text, which is dated 1250, but at least somewhat relevant. Found it online here
"Have you forgotten that it is in the furnace that gold in refined, increasing in value the more it is beaten and fashioned into different shapes?" -Christine de Pizan
Aaryq
Archive Member

Re: I WTB a post viking era Dane 1157

Post by Aaryq »

I was thinking a similar though now that I'm getting back into the SCA. I was reading in some osprey books they talk about splinted arms and legs (though uncommon). It might look well accompanied by maille.
I was also thinking of buying a spangen with a face plate (not face-looking though) and riveting on some back-of-the-head plates to make it legal.
I'll probably hammer out some knees and elbows over the next few weeks to wear under the maille.
Underneath the gambeson and maille, I'll probably wear a PASGT Flak Jacket for extra protection.
Bastior
Archive Member

Post by Bastior »

If your interest is the mid 12th C you're beyond what is commonly thought of as the viking era, it may be you'll have more luck with searches and so on if you drop the viking era bit.

Saddly other than a couple of snippets about the Danevirke, finished by Valdemar I, if memory serves, I can't actually help answer your question.

B
Dan Howard
Archive Member

Post by Dan Howard »

Giraldus Cambrensis wrote that the Danes who attacked Dublin Castle in 1171 were wearing either long mail loricas or laminis ferreis arte consutis.The latter could be scale or lamellar or even some kind of coat of plates. Personally I lean towards scale.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment by Pen & Sword books.