IWTB a CotT guy... 1351

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Ceawlin Alreding
Archive Member

IWTB a CotT guy... 1351

Post by Ceawlin Alreding »

I wanna be a Combat of the Thirty combatant.
The question keeps coming up on the Med Weap and Com thread, and I thought a nice "I wanna" thread would be a nice place to send everyone to.
Plus, Murdock seemed to think it was a good idea.
Also, I'm an Anglo Saxon and I'm hopeless with 1351. :D
This is a full-contact martial sport where twenty-year-old athletes can routinely get thrashed by fifty-year-olds with a gut and no knees
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

Ok to get this going i'll post old 30 pics and dead guys from around the date of the actual deed

Well these pics are from the Vannes but still good rigs for the SCA 30
Master Galleron

Yngvar on the left with Galleron

Edward Geoffery and Galleron all are a little late for 1351 but good kits

These are some of the best rigs out there.

Espically Geoffery and Galleron,
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

More
My rig for the first one

COTT 2

COTT4

Full English arms, garter stuff.....
Yeah i went there.

Yeahhhh England!!! Boo France
Donate to the Officer Down Memorial
http://atoa.us/index_1.htm
http://www.odmp.org/

To buy stuff i sell go to http://www.revival.us
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

I hope the captains ban SCA butt banners for the deed in future.

Look like this-

But not JUST like that cause that is me. :twisted:
Lion of Irnham - Martial undertaking should never be a lowest common denominator endeavor.
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

Another one I am using for reference.
Lion of Irnham - Martial undertaking should never be a lowest common denominator endeavor.
Lucian Ro
Archive Member

Post by Lucian Ro »

Leo Medii wrote:I hope the captains ban SCA butt banners for the deed in future.
Care to enlighten the ignorant on "butt banners"?
Lord Lucian Ro
MKA
Scotty Riopel

Per pale argent and purpure, a dragonfly counterchanged and on a chief sable a dagger reversed argent.

When there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph. -Pierre Corneille
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

butt banners
They are little squares of cloth with stuff on them with a belt loop at the top. Often denoting group or such.

I've seen a lot of them in the pics.
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

I have been working on some essays on clothing and armor from that era based on manuscripts. There is more coming later:

http://www.historiclife.com/Essays/CrecyKnights.htm
http://www.historiclife.com/Essays/Clothing1340_50.htm
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

Rod Walker
Archive Member

Post by Rod Walker »

Whilst there are some nice kits there, the majority of them look too late for 1351.

Andrew McKinnon has a kit in progress here http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=85129 that would be more in keeping with the period.

I am working on a Romance of Alexander harness at the moment and will post pics when it is done,,,,,,,,,, which has to be soon as I need it to joust in for the 20 September. :shock:
God keep you Rod. So few people hear the call of madness so clearly and follow it so loyally. - Jehan de Pelham

More attitude than a Lesbian Manhater with a nice pair and a Peachy Arse.

Wyvern Leather Works on Facebook
Wyvern Leather Works
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

Basically by 1310-1320 every bit of solid plate armour is seen but cuisses. If anyone can find evidence of plate cuisses pre 1350 please let me know. Apart from that splinted limb armour is fairly common, splinted cuisses or just padded cuisses likely being worn in place of solid one piece plate ones.

By 1340-1350 you find solid breastplates around but limited to the higher/highest tier of society. Coat of Plates are being used by anyone, 1336 they become required by Edward III for all archers serving.

Mail would almost always be used though by 1330s it no longer is required by Edward III in his list of equipment for men at arms.

As Rod pointed out much of the armour is later than 1350s.

Your best bet is effigies really. Someone posted this and it does have soem great pictures of use to you.

http://flickr.com/photos/roelipilami/co ... 248138781/

Typically the problem to me is people using armour of several decades later for mid 14th.

Good luck!

RPM
Ceawlin Alreding
Archive Member

Post by Ceawlin Alreding »

Okay, here's what I got so far:
Helm, great, one, check. It's not the nicest in the world, and somewhat wide for me, but it works. I think. Padding will tell.
Elbows, knees, "soup can" style, two each, check. Mad Matt's stuff. Nice lines, I think.
I have two choices with these. I can attach the knees to a pair of padded cuisses I have (except they're quite light and I don't fancy Fred hammering me in the thigh with, well, that damn rubber hammer on a stick of his) OR I can bang out a pair of leather and splint cuisses, making sure I do the fancy little daggy bits under the knee cop. I also have a pair of splint greaves that may get replaced with some House of the Wolf DYI kit, cause I think they have a better line.
I'm wearing "hidden safety equipement "for a local Pas in two weeks, and hoping to sneak my Knight's gambison to wear over. I KNOW that's not the WAY of things, I can eventually bang out a COP.
I'm thinking of just tying the elbows on (can't point some one else's garment, when I get one of my own I will) and using a pair of old vams hidden under the sleeves of the gamby. (See above, hammer, powered by Fred). Upgrade to what? HotW DYI vams? I'm not much of a lad for lots and lots of plate. It's a cost issue for a second kit, not anything else. Just not doing full arm cannons. No matter how much his Excellency Concordia, pouts.
I got a mail coif I'm gonna use to hide my gorget, which would probably be fine IF I hadn't covered it with leather so it wouldn't make my Saxon kit look silly....
I've got HE booties, hose and braies to go under. Gwen, as previously chronicled, rocketh mightily.
I will have to break with 20+ years of habit, and invest in Metal Gaunts that I will trust my hands in. Yeah, I know, I don't trust metal gaunts. I'm just kinda weird that way.
So that's it for now. I'll post pics of my fledgling effort when I get it together. Advice on affordable improvments will be welcomed.
Thanks, gang
Ceawlin, Fledgling COT Ethusiast

oooh, gotta getta rondel dagger and sheath before the big dance!
Last edited by Ceawlin Alreding on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a full-contact martial sport where twenty-year-old athletes can routinely get thrashed by fifty-year-olds with a gut and no knees
Bleddyn De Caldicot
Archive Member

Post by Bleddyn De Caldicot »

Eadric is spot on. (Facing the camera with the dagger hanging loose on its chain.)

Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

I'd 2nd that on Eadric

my rig is 20-30 years to late.

But guys in just 5 years we've gone from "mostly 14th century" to

"lets get within 10 years of the date"

with some people starting to try and do specific effigies.
Nigel, Duke of Arrochar
Archive Member

date specific...

Post by Nigel, Duke of Arrochar »

Folks,

While I do appreciate all of the people that are heading towards the 1351 date of the CotT, please remember that we have never intended for this to emulate the original CotT. It was merley a stepping stone from which we can build something more than the average.

If things work out for me this year, I intend on working towards getting my kit closer to the actual date as well. My kit is based on a 3rd qtr of the 14th c effigy and it cost a fair bit to get to this point so it takes a bit to redirect to an almost completely new kit for this deed.

Please remember that as of this post, Johannes and I have not discussed whether or not we will try and limit the CotT to a tighter year range. For gosh sakes, we have yet to have a 30-v-30 in the CotT yet. The kits have dramatically improved and can still get better. We told a few people that they would need to make improvements to their kit if they wanted to attend next year even.

The CotT is a work in progress and hopefully now that we have locked down the position of Captains for the next 2 years we can build momentum and build this into something that is FRIGGIN' AWESOME! Well, more friggin' awesome than it already is at least.

Respectfully,

Sir Nigel MacFarlane
Captain of the French for the CotT #'s 2, 4,5 and 6 (and we've yet to get to #'s 5 & 6) :twisted:
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

Chartres bascinet

Tower helmet

Fosdinovo, IIRC it's an Italian effigy from the 1350's

Kerdeston

Detail of Sir John Foxley 1378

John Lyons, St Marys Warkworth

gerhard_von_julich_late-14thC

Sir Humphrey Littlebury c.1365, Holbeach, England.

Gunter Von Schwartzburg

John de Cobham, Cobham Church.

feel free to look through
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Murdoch_McArthur/
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

COTT3

Me and Yngvar being French.....it was a nice surcoat

Churburg 14
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

Please remember that as of this post, Johannes and I have not discussed whether or not we will try and limit the CotT to a tighter year range. For gosh sakes, we have yet to have a 30-v-30 in the CotT yet. The kits have dramatically improved and can still get better. We told a few people that they would need to make improvements to their kit if they wanted to attend next year even.
The original COTT was not limited to the specific date, just proper 14th C armors. It was the people INVOLVED in this deed who were so enamored by it that decided unto themselves to change their harness to more accurately represent the contest. Nothing say's or said you have to be exact to that battle, but some people think it is something to strive for and have done it on their own.
Most 14th C mafia folks are 1380-1405. So that is who was involved in it initially, so that is what you see. Some are so serious that they want to look like they were AT the COTT.
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

What LEo said

Thats why i'm posting both old 30 pics and stuff thats original thats close to the real deed's date.
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

I can't wait till that day my freind.

I have pledged myself to the side of the French so as to assure both sides have a totally armored tank of doom!

I shall seek you on the field to claim your ransom, and to repay you my brother for your taking of my person and ransom the last time we met!
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

I started a new page on my website on future projects and it has information on my new Romance of Alexander kit which is just a bit before the thirty: http://www.historiclife.com/HistoricalC ... ojects.htm

The clothing is made; here is the plan for the armor:

James B.
Historic Life
audax
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by audax »

Is this Clang greathelm an acceptable version?

http://clang.adkinssoftware.com/helm%20 ... %2001.html
Martel le Hardi
black for the darkness of the path
red for a fiery passion
white for the blinding illumination
--------------------------------------
Ursus, verily thou rocketh.
Saritor
Archive Member

Post by Saritor »

The Schweizerisches Landesmuseum in Zurich has one with that same kind of rounded top, dated to the second quarter of the 1400s.

There are others in German museums dated to ~1350.

That one's probably modeled after the Pembridge helm, dated to 1370.

Not that I've been using this thread as an excuse to look at 14th century armor or anything... :D
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

As pictured, I would not allow it.

If all the holes were the same size and uniform, yes, I'd allow it.
Bleddyn De Caldicot
Archive Member

audax wrote:
Leo Medii wrote:
As pictured, I would not allow it.

If all the holes were the same size and uniform, yes, I'd allow it.
Thank you, good to know.

I'm looking at Mad Matts bascinets and klappvisors. That may be more the direction I'll go.
They are well built and very sturdy.
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

This clang helm looks good
http://clang.adkinssoftware.com/hist%20 ... %2001.html

I'm kicking around making a Van Prank helm in spring and wearing it over a cervellier.

I want THIS
http://clang.adkinssoftware.com/helm%20 ... %2001.html
as a klapvisor
Tobar
Archive Member

Post by Tobar »

This should probably go in Design and Construction but the breast plate in Murdock's post with the two men in red/maroon breastplates are the breastplates split at the spine and sternum or are they in 4 pieces. I love this style of breastplate and have not seen it a whole lot any info or pics would be greatly appreciated.
Bleddyn De Caldicot
Archive Member

Adrielle wrote:Sir Humphrey Littlebury c.1365, Holbeach, England.
Thank you your excellency. I'm quite fond of the crest on his great helm and the interesting sabatons he wears.
Baron Conal
Archive Member

Post by Baron Conal »

Bleddyn De Caldicot wrote:
Adrielle wrote:Sir Humphrey Littlebury c.1365, Holbeach, England.
Thank you your excellency. I'm quite fond of the crest on his great helm and the interesting sabatons he wears.
sabatons are interesting.....

Anyone have opinions on exactly how they are made?
Baron Conal O'hAirt

Aude Aliquid Dignum Dare Something Worthy

“Each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass,
A book of rules;
And each must make-
Ere life has flown-
A stumbling block
Or a stepping stone”

― R L Sharpe
Lucian Ro
Archive Member

Post by Lucian Ro »

Now surcoats, were they still in fashion at the 1350 timeframe or had they become an anachronism? If indeed they were still in fasion what style were they?
Lord Lucian Ro
MKA
Scotty Riopel

Per pale argent and purpure, a dragonfly counterchanged and on a chief sable a dagger reversed argent.

When there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph. -Pierre Corneille
Lucian Ro
Archive Member

Post by Lucian Ro »

Effingham wrote:Lucian, have you not seen the huge website of effigies?
Indeed I have, Eff, but I have a hard time discerning if something like this below a surcoat or maybe more of a jupon. I ask because I honestly don't know.

Lord Lucian Ro
MKA
Scotty Riopel

Sigurd Fjalarson
Archive Member

Post by Sigurd Fjalarson »

Ok, forgive my ignorance, but whats the difference between a surcote and jupon? Length? Style? Just curious.

And this post is just dripping with awesome, Murdock you are an inspiration.
Sigurd Fjalarson,Heinrich von Faulkner
-But you can call me Randy

"Praise no day 'til evening; No wife 'til on her pyre; No sword 'til tested; No maid 'til bedded; No ice 'til crossed; No ale 'til drunk." ~ Havamal
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Often in the art and effigies from 1330s-1350s you see the arming cote under everything, the maille, the CoP, then the jupon/surcote. Quite often in the Romance of Alexander you see a longer back than front, some look pleated but more likely the garments has gores below the waist to make it full which is in line with fashion at the time (tight on top full below the hips). Many are drawn with side lacing too; check out the knight on the left in the center:

James B.
Historic Life
white mountain armoury
Archive Member

Post by white mountain armoury »

Lucian Ro wrote:Now surcoats, were they still in fashion at the 1350 timeframe or had they become an anachronism? If indeed they were still in fasion what style were they?
At this point in time Heraldic cote are still in vouge and come in a variety of style.
You will see long in front and back, long in back short in front, and short all the way around.
Some are crazy short in the front, you can see one here
http://www.whitemountainarmoury.com/mag ... urcoat.php
I prefer kittens
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

WOW!!!!!!! Those crespinettes are awesome!
http://www.whitemountainarmoury.com/mag ... nettes.php

Sorry for the derail, I had to check out the whole site!