French Bourgeoisie c.1595

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Isenbrant Blackaert
Archive Member

Post by Isenbrant Blackaert »

This is a request.

I wanna be a son of a late 16th to early 17th century wealthy french merchant. Roughly around 1580 to 1610. Basic soft kit and equivalent fencing kit. (sorry, I like rapiers better)

Thanks.
Saritor
Archive Member

Post by Saritor »

Twenty years or so out of date for you, but Henry de Sainct-Didier's fencing treatise of 1573 gets you somewhere in the ballpark for what French folks wielding "rapiers" would be wearing...

http://www.bvh.univ-tours.fr/Consult/co ... 86201_I410
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Post by Rittmeister Frye »

For just about all the information you'll ever need on this period of France, check out this website: http://www.lepg.org/

Cheers!

Gordon
"He who wields the sword will be first served"
Charles Napier
Alexandre Crane
Archive Member

Re: French Bourgeoisie c.1595

Post by Alexandre Crane »

So what would everyone suggest around this sort of time period-ish and along this same sort of train of thought but for a Heavy kit?

And/Or better yet, a transition kit that would be Heavy-to-Light(and vice-versa) field workable?
robstout
Archive Member

Post by robstout »

I'm not sure for French, but I've been tempted to go for a border Reiver kit which could switch between the two. Need to update my heavy kit first though.

Burgonet, with different fronts based on use
Jack of plates for body protection
Hidden knees and elbow cops, work under an Elizabethan shirt and Venetian trunks.
gloves and hose

Again, not french, but I think it would work

Robert The Stout
Alexandre Crane
Archive Member

Alright, admittedly, that sounds about what I was planning on going with, except I was looking at something solid for body protection(even though right now I'm basically fighting in just a giant hidden leather kidney belt an a houppelande)

Speaking of hose, I've been peeking around on the Archive about tights and apparently good ones are espensibe, Lucy.

I'm fairly new to the game and personally, I'm good with say, dancing tights.

Is that what we're looking for here or will that(or even say, UnderArmor compression pants) work as a temporary or would that be too much of a faux pas?
-Lord Alexandre Crane
Squire to Sir Evangelos Thrakios

“I should be profoundly grateful if you would permit me the chance to defeat you.”
"Armor does not hide hesitation."
"Fear denies faith."
Tibbie Croser
Archive Member

Post by Tibbie Croser »

You don't need full-length tights for the late 1500s. You can do Venetians (knee breeches) and knee- or thigh-high socks (you could try cut-down chausses under your breeches).
Flittie Smeddum of Dagorhir
Tibbie Croser of the SCA
Alexandre Crane
Archive Member

(Partially cross posted to/from a similar thread)

So a friend and I have been looking at period tents the last couple of days, mostly out of curiosity and we got curious about what would be fitting for me/us. I'm still thinking late period, primarily Chivalric-based rich-kid. Ideas?

I'm also still looking around at clothing examples for this time/area, thanks for all the help but I have one more clarification question: It's a little bloody chilly. What are some examples for this time/setting a little further East where it would actually get cold in the Winter?
-Lord Alexandre Crane
Squire to Sir Evangelos Thrakios

“I should be profoundly grateful if you would permit me the chance to defeat you.”
"Armor does not hide hesitation."
"Fear denies faith."
Antonio
Archive Member

Post by Antonio »

Sorry to come late to this.... you can also go for Elizabethan style 'Half Armour' for either rapier or heavy- burgonet (with appropriate faceplates as described), gorget, I have an armoured ruff to cover the neck gap between burgonet and gorget, maile shirt (see the Image of Ireland woodcuts). You could add a peasecod breast and back and tassets, then add thigh high boots.

Image of Ireland, 1581
Without Breast/Back: http://www.lib.ed.ac.uk/about/bgallery/ ... 58_jpg.jpg
With breast/back: in the background of http://www.lib.ed.ac.uk/about/bgallery/ ... 60_jpg.htm