Spanish Knight 1400

Archived for searching: A collaborative effort on developing a persona affordably and accurately.

Moderator: Glen K

Jovian_Skleros
Archive Member

I WTB 1400 Spanish

Post by Jovian_Skleros »

Love the look of Pig face bascinets, cotehardies/houpplandes, and tall boots, but I can't seem to find any good images of this time period.

100 years earlier? No problem finding stuff.

100 years later? Ditto.

Anyone have any ideas for both armor and clothing?

Thanks in advance.

Jovian Skleros
Andeerz
Archive Member

Post by Andeerz »

My suggestion is taking a looky-loo at the book by Osprey Publishing called

Men-at-arms Series #200
El Cid and the Reconquista: 1050 - 1492

It's pretty much awesome-sauce, though brief. And it has awesome pictures. If you want to read it, feel free to PM me.
Nowell

Post by Nowell »

I'm also pretty interested in this time frame. I'm trying to pin down a period with clothing I like, and cotehardies are rather comfy :)

Does anyone know of online resources, before I go buying a book?
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Post by Baron Alejandro »

Andeerz wrote:My suggestion is taking a looky-loo at the book by Osprey Publishing called

Men-at-arms Series #200
El Cid and the Reconquista: 1050 - 1492

It's pretty much awesome-sauce, though brief. And it has awesome pictures. If you want to read it, feel free to PM me.
VIVA EL CID! Even though he's dead....

Jovian, I have some scans from this book, shoot me an email.
Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.
CatalinaAnadeSalamanca

Post by CatalinaAnadeSalamanca »

Jovian, I have a spare copy of this book. Let me know if you want it.

Personally, I'm really trying to find more pictures of a Castilian foot or mounted soldier from 1490 - 1500, the other end of the century. I'm very interested in leg armor at the moment and in period but unusual body harness.
Galfrid atte grene
Archive Member

Post by Galfrid atte grene »

Rodrigodenavarra

15th Century Spanish Knight/Squire

Post by Rodrigodenavarra »

I am also interested in this period, mine being 1430-1460s. However, my persona traveled to England, and was orginaly from Navarre. :D
Rodrigo de Navarra
Barony of Adiantum, Antir
Eugene, Oregon
Barnet
Archive Member

Post by Barnet »

Anyone have more info on this, pics, sites?

Barnet
Dougal Forester
Archive Member

Re: Spanish Knight 1400

Post by Dougal Forester »

Would Portuguese knights have been wearing much the same thing? I was reading about the battle in 1385, Aljubarrota, and am having a devilish time finding images/effigies from this time.
Alan Frize
Archive Member

Re:

Post by Alan Frize »

[quote="Barnet"]Anyone have more info on this, pics, sites?

Barnet[/quote]

Haven't got the web addy, but if you ask the nice chaps at Foro Fidelis they may be able to help.
thunderwinde
Archive Member

Post by thunderwinde »

I am trying to reconstruct the son of a Norman knight married into Castillian nobility, circa 1350. I am running into the problem that, while my hard kit is definitely 14th c., I bought my helm while I was trying to do earlier period Norman. Anyway, question is, does anyone know how late nasal style (Norman) helms were worn in Spain?
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

thunderwinde,

Do you mean Norman, like William of Normandy Norman? If so they really do not exist by the mid 14th. The Normans of mid 14th century were men who lived in Normandy. They had many of their own lands and rights even though they were part of France since the start of the 13th when John lost them to Phil.

Now if you mean of Norman bloodlines I guess it is possible but if you are thinking Norman- Norman, nor man from Normandy you might have an issue getting this to work well.

As far as helmets you see nasals in the 14th but the helmets are not really the same as earlier ones across the board. Any pictures?

RPM
thunderwinde
Archive Member

Post by thunderwinde »

I mean Norman as in 'from Normandy', whether descended from Rollo's folk or not.

As far as the helm, it really is meant to be an earlier type, but I was wondering to what extent I could just live with it as a plausibility in period, or whether I should start looking into trading it for a bascinet at some point.

http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/index ... cts_id=716

Like I said, I bought the helm before everything else and I was thinking 12th century at the time.
Belemrys
Archive Member

Post by Belemrys »

Anyone have any scans of "El Cid and the Reconquista: 1050 - 1492"? I would like to look at late 14th century pictures...thanks!
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

The Hall of Kings painted leather ceiling in the Alhambra has both military and civilian depictions.
http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/culturay ... 200811.pdf

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4914/14609/
http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4201/13262/
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Post by Henrik Granlid »

In the first Manuscript, we can see not only a plethora of bascinets, but one with a very particular face in the top right, middle right and middle left. Note the bulging "noses" that look like sad moomins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moomin)

These remind me a great deal more of the Grand Bascinet than of the standard bascinet and could well have been part of a "Spanish style" of arming. Or I could just be completely off and these are the pigface bascinets you spoke of (for that is the one form of bascinet I know absolutely nothing about when it comes to shaping etc.) There are several aventails, with only one item of neck protection looking to be an outside plate (to the right, between the blue men).

We also see different sorts of "outer garments" that are either worn outside of armour, or padded enough to be armour in their own right, one in the style of a cotehardie. There are also no plated greaves on the rightmost side (are those spaniards?)

There is also what appears to be an early burgonet-styled hat on the man middle left, which seems odd, could simply be a raised visor.

Now for the second one, we have a king with a very short cotehardie to bear his colours and what should be a padded (although bulging around the arms) garment meant for combat. He could be wearing maille hosen underneath.

What this leads me to believe is that, if you wanted to depict a knight based off of these effigies, you would want:

A bascinet with a bulged, sidemounted visor (or a bargrill to keep the open face look of many warriors). You'd also want a slightly padded aventail (because they likely were) and a gorget to go underneath (for safety).

You'd also want some sort of jupon or other padded garment, it could be a very thinn, two-layer piece of clothing if you want to do it on a budget and for practicality's sake. This garment is meant to hide the armour you wear underneath (such as elbow cops, vambraces, kidney protection and possibly torso and upper arms.), but a more thickly padded one (or a thinnly padded arming garment with basic safety items on it covered by a thinnly padded overgarment) could result in proper protection.

You'd also want "bare" legs, a quilted solution with barrel plastic hid in the thighs and with kneecops either hid or visually displayed would be my course of action to achieve this.

Gauntlets are probably some form of hourglass creation, although it is hard to tell.

The look you'd end up with would be:

Specific bascinet w. aventail.
Jupon, possibly with some sort of tightly fitting waffenrock/tabbard.
As close to hosen as you'd dare go safety wise.

EDIT: Far, far left, almost out of picture on the first manuscript. There is a man wearing a Corrazina.