Medieval Winter Camp, immersion event, circa 1420

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Post by Dragon_Argent »

Don't worry Tom; there is always one.
Did medieval people try to avoid getting caught under canvas in winter- Yep
Did it happen anyway- Yep!
and as you said- There were Hussite Winter campaigns.
Keep up the good work.
Amor, Sanguis, Rhetoricus
^
Archive Member

Post by ^ »

Appel wrote:So you assert at no time in the middle ages people were under canvas and it snowed on them?
No, if you read my statement I did not assert that. But perhaps portraying Hussites you are more used to Czech and not English so I'll just accept that you can't see the distinction made by the word generally.

So enjoy your laugh and we'll enjoy our events.
Finding Halgrim's comment amusing and you enjoying yourself have no connection.
BTW, we portray Hussites, and the Hussite General, Jan Zizka conducted a winter campaign in January of 1421 into Plzen. So I guess Zizka was stupid to conduct a successful winter campaign.
Actually if you study military history you find that often times doing things that are not the general thinking held by society that they can be successful.
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

Dragon_Argent wrote:Don't worry Tom; there is always one.
Did medieval people try to avoid getting caught under canvas in winter- Yep
Did it happen anyway- Yep!
and as you said- There were Hussite Winter campaigns.
Keep up the good work.
Meh
Peder is one of those guys ya gotta take with a grain of salt.
He is really knowledgeable in many areas and has done the research to earn some respect. I often think of him as Chef's Mini-Me :P

That said, ya really never see anything that he is doing, or has done, so ya gotta sometime wonder if he can apply what he knows:)

Either way I don't let his comments bother me to much but appreciate it when he has some pertinent information that adds to my knowledgebase:)

As I said earlier, the stuff we were doing that we thought was EA was never really any better than what most Viking Age folks I know in the SCA are doing so saying that what you all are doing is a better attempt at LH than what we had done at Norstead still stands (on many levels) IMO.

All the planning and strategy in the world doesn't mean squat when Mother Nature has a hissy fit and your and your troops end up in foul weather:)
Halvgrimr Riddari
....sometimes called Stormtossed

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research. - Steven Wright
Miles_H_J
Archive Member

Post by Miles_H_J »

Halvgrimr wrote: Chef's Mini-Me

That said, ya really never see anything that he is doing, or has done, so ya gotta sometime wonder if he can apply what he knows:)

Either way I don't let his comments bother me to much but appreciate it when he has some pertinent information that adds to my knowledgebase:)
Mini-Me, Now that's funny...lol

Miles
^
Archive Member

Post by ^ »

Halvgrimr wrote:
Peder is one of those guys ya gotta take with a grain of salt.
He is really knowledgeable in many areas and has done the research to earn some respect. I often think of him as Chef's Mini-Me :P
LOL. No I'm the person that people like Chef e-mail when they need research help, although they've been busy with Burgundian payment accounts.

Yea, the last few years I got it in to my head that I was more likely to find an acceptable mate in the SCA and so I've being making myself miserable over that stuff and paying more attention to living history stuff in Europe. To a certain degree the lack of a leader to emerge in the mid-Atlantic 15th century fed into that since that has held to be the center of where the 15th century was going to develop. That obviously isn't going to be how things are going to pan out.

As I said earlier, the stuff we were doing that we thought was EA was never really any better than what most Viking Age folks I know in the SCA are doing so saying that what you all are doing is a better attempt at LH than what we had done at Norstead still stands (on many levels) IMO.
Hal, I think that any reasonable assessment would show that you are incorrect. If you don't believe me feel free to contact someone like Glen. Snow makes for wonderful photos and a good time but it doesn't make anything more EA. I hope some day your able to put the things that happened behind you because you did great things for the Vikings and your an asset but as we've talked about before it isn't getting you what you want it isn't worth it.
Appel
Archive Member

Post by Appel »

ARMOURER ERIC wrote:Hi Tom, Welcome to the Achive, we were in the Jamestown the Begining movie like 23 years ago,
Thanks Eric! Fred Scholpp and I were talking about that movie at the event. Some of the winter scenes for that movie were filmed when some of the militia were snowed in at the park and it was closed to the public.

Ernest Skinner came out with his film crew and we were the only ones around. We all stayed in the old Guard House. There were ten of us including Sarah Juniper who was visiting fron the UK. I scored my first Kirstie Buckland Monmouth cap from her.

The snow made it interesting, but it was the fact we had the Jamestown Settlement to ourselves that made it really fun.

Regards,
Tom Apple

The Vintenar's Compagnie
http://www.vintenars-compagnie.org/
Ceadda
Archive Member

Post by Ceadda »

very awesome
~Ceadda

Stercus stercus stercus Moriturus Sum - Rincewind of Discworld
B. Amos
Archive Member

Post by B. Amos »

I went with a friend on his Viking winter camping trip last year, it was a mind blowing experience. I went trough withdrawls when I couldn't go this year.
Pax Vobiscum
- Bishop Amos le Pious
Count and Knight of the Lodge
mark ha
Archive Member

Post by mark ha »

You guys are crazy I would never do that. wink.

finally remmebered my forum password, doh. Trying to get back in the medieval mindset for MTA. need to make a coat.

Mark
Miles_H_J
Archive Member

Post by Miles_H_J »

Crimthann of Fid-Nemed and B. Amos Thanks.

We are talking about doing something like this again around the 1st. weekend of next December and hopefully no snow.

And Hi Mark! what's up? Did you get a passport yet? make some tools for MTA if you can common laborer stuff with spade, Shovel, Axe, Big Ass Wooden Maul etc...
mark ha
Archive Member

Post by mark ha »

I have a big ass axe! Tim has my flail but may be able to car pool it to me.

Mark