Hiding Modern Footwear

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Angusm0628
Archive Member

Post by Angusm0628 »

One of my guys made a pair of these for his shoes and wore them last Pennsic...He really likes them and his appearance definitely went up a notch or two...
Angus MacClerie
Thorsteinn Raudskeggr
Archive Member

Post by Thorsteinn Raudskeggr »

So I am to take this that Converse All-Stars, or Simple's, have good potential for base material shoes?
When the World shout's "Give Up!", Hope whispers "Try one more time".

"If you're a guy full of sh** without the gold medal...when you get the gold medal, you're still a guy full of sh**"- Didier Berthod, First Ascent
lebreton
Archive Member

Post by lebreton »

IvanIS wrote:So I am to take this that Converse All-Stars, or Simple's, have good potential for base material shoes?
Yes I have a pair of mock converse, they are airwalk from payless shoes, I covered them fine, 2 years and counting and they are still going strong
Glaukos the Athenian
Archive Member

Post by Glaukos the Athenian »

Frankly,

I am surprised nobody is offering something like this commercially to the SCA.

If one is a professionally set up leather guy, versed in patterns and skilled in cutting and sewing the leather (even machine sewing) it could be easy and cheap to make and sell and still keep a nicer margin of profit. Especially as a side item for someone already selling leather stuff...

Glaukos
Glaukos the Athenian
Squire to Sir Guy Lestrange

Benedictus dominus Deus meus, qui docet manus meas ad proelium, et digitos meos ad bellum.
Swete
Archive Member

Post by Swete »

Glaukos the Athenian wrote:Frankly,

If one is a professionally set up leather guy, versed in patterns and skilled in cutting and sewing the leather (even machine sewing) it could be easy and cheap to make and sell and still keep a nicer margin of profit. Especially as a side item for someone already selling leather stuff...

Glaukos
I second the shit out of that, Glaukos.
Squire to Sir Grimbaldus Bacon
Nihtgenga Fusleoð: Ærest æt acwallen, ærest æt gecringan!
Blackoak
Archive Member

Post by Blackoak »

Glaukos
I actually just took my first commission to cover a pair of cleats for someone. :D

I will see how it goes and maybe offer to cover some. I personally am not interested in doing it a bunch. I'm more of the "teach a guy to fish" type than a fish merchant. :D

Hey Swete, I am getting this tutorial registered as an A&S class and will be teaching it a events. Next time we run into each other I can give ya whatever pointers you need.

Uric
The monkey must come out!
Glaukos the Athenian
Archive Member

Sir Uric,

You make an excellent point, but tough I agree with you in principle, some of us are not skilled enough to turn out a nice looking finished product. I am lucky in that regard because I found period shoes for fighting that work for me (GDFB and Murdock's) but there are folks out there that could benefit from this, not from lazyness but simply for lack of skill, tools, experience, etc.

I am all for self made stuff, If one can comission a fancy tunic or fighting tabard, (not even mentioning armour) I see no moral bar to buying shoe covers.

In fact, one can serve both masters here, and make KITS available, so people can assemble them themselves by simple lacing...

If it makes people look better on the field, I am all for it....

Glaukos
Glaukos the Athenian

Benedictus dominus Deus meus, qui docet manus meas ad proelium, et digitos meos ad bellum.
Mega Zenjirou Yoshi
Archive Member

Post by Mega Zenjirou Yoshi »

Glaukos the Athenian wrote:Sir Uric,

In fact, one can serve both masters here, and make KITS available, so people can assemble them themselves by simple lacing...

Glaukos
This.
AKA: Lord Drogo Bryce of Middlefordshire

Gules, a calygreyhound head caboshed, or.

Effingham-Sensei said "The suck is strong in this one."
Swete
Archive Member

Post by Swete »

Blackoak wrote:

Glaukos
I actually just took my first commission to cover a pair of cleats for someone. :D

I will see how it goes and maybe offer to cover some. I personally am not interested in doing it a bunch. I'm more of the "teach a guy to fish" type than a fish merchant. :D

Hey Swete, I am getting this tutorial registered as an A&S class and will be teaching it a events. Next time we run into each other I can give ya whatever pointers you need.

Uric
That sounds great. I actually got some leather, shoes, and glue to make some...then after I afixed the leather I realized I had the wrong type of glue (it over-stiffened and fell off) and I went ahead and got some of Westland's. I love those, but I would like to have something pretty to wear to practices. So when I see you at Gulf Wars (or sooner) I would love attend a class! :D
Squire to Sir Grimbaldus Bacon
Nihtgenga Fusleoð: Ærest æt acwallen, ærest æt gecringan!
Blackoak
Archive Member

Post by Blackoak »

Glaukos the Athenian wrote:Sir Uric,

You make an excellent point, but tough I agree with you in principle, some of us are not skilled enough to turn out a nice looking finished product. I am lucky in that regard because I found period shoes for fighting that work for me (GDFB and Murdock's) but there are folks out there that could benefit from this, not from lazyness but simply for lack of skill, tools, experience, etc.

I am all for self made stuff, If one can comission a fancy tunic or fighting tabard, (not even mentioning armour) I see no moral bar to buying shoe covers.

Glaukos
Don't get me wrong, I have ZERO problem with someone buying all of there stuff. I don't have a problem with someone mass producing stuff for people.

It is more that "I" don't want to be in the production market. :D
I enjoy crafting and making stuff, I just don't want to HAVE to do it.

Uric
Glaukos the Athenian
Archive Member

Oh Gosh no, that is not what I meant!
Have you not enough carrying the knightly chain for the society, that you need to go into merchanting against your desire...? :shock:

I meant that someone already in the business of making leather items could make some money, and provide a great service to the society by offering well made show coverings either complete or in kits.

It would be nice, allow those sincerely trying to look better to take an extra step in that direction, and remove an excuse from the bag of those who are not trying... ;)

Still, you have shown the way, and that is to be recognized.

Glaukos
Glaukos the Athenian

Jakob Hilditonn
Archive Member

Post by Jakob Hilditonn »

I would be interested in something similar to a "gaiter" perhaps. Same idea as your stiched on covers. Just not permanently affixed to the shoes/ boots in order to reduce the modern apearance. Ugly mundane example below.
Attachments
OR61550_014_l.jpg
OR61550_014_l.jpg (20.29 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
AKA Gaius Marius Cingetorix
"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." MCDP 1-1
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Jakob Hildetand wrote:I would be interested in something similar to a "gaiter" perhaps. Same idea as your stiched on covers. Just not permanently affixed to the shoes/ boots in order to reduce the modern apearance. Ugly mundane example below.
D. Sebastian's website and essay on his boot coverings show how he started with gaters like those.
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
holyone
Archive Member

Post by holyone »

The staples on mine have held up really well I have to replace a few now and again and after doing about 4 pairs have found that using suede and wetting it and letting it shrink to the cleat helps.

Sir James
taluntheb
Archive Member

Post by taluntheb »

Wanted to show the cleat covers I referred to in my previous post... I've been writing a tutorial for them which I will post when I finish it. Unless I die of old age before then, which sems likely at the rate I've been going lately.

These were based off of boots found in Stepping Through Time. Specifically the following boots: Figure 2, pg. 232, figure 9, page 233 and figure 1c page 231. Basically I wanted a pair of taller boots that I could wear comfortably under my studded greaves. (The ankle boots kept getting kind of lumpy around the bottom of the greaves and were uncomfortable.) While I'm pretty sure that this kind of boot is incorrect for a COTT level harness beneath studded greaves, I feel that they are a better than average fit for most war kits.

http://picasaweb.google.com/taluntheb/D ... 9625672242

http://picasaweb.google.com/taluntheb/D ... 4650088706

http://picasaweb.google.com/taluntheb/D ... 2587263218

http://picasaweb.google.com/taluntheb/D ... 1390996498

Talun Mac Dubhagain
If you don't care what the other guy thinks it's not an honor system- it is a system of inner masturbation. -Vitus von Atzinger
Angusm0628
Archive Member

Post by Angusm0628 »

Are these the Talun Mk III version??
Angus MacClerie
taluntheb
Archive Member

Post by taluntheb »

These are actually a one off- I wanted something specifically higher that the typical ankle boots, and this was the only good example I could find.
That said there are a few things that are definitely standard for Talun mark !V's going forwards: There is actually nothing left of the original cleat beyond the heel support and the sole. The toe box is actually reinforced with a double layer of wet formed, then epoxy sealed rawhide to give the correct pointed shape and to provide protection for the toes. I thought about actually doing steel toes, but that's what sabatons are for. (I'm making a pair of the studded leather covered ones for my COTT level kit because I haven't seen a lot of them done and they look pretty cool.) The next versions will get appropriate looking decorative stitching as well and will use more period appropriate leathers- I used elk skin for these, and the tannage is wrong, but I also have about 60-70 sq. feet of it, so it's what's getting used for my own stuff.

Talun
If you don't care what the other guy thinks it's not an honor system- it is a system of inner masturbation. -Vitus von Atzinger
Thorgrimr
Archive Member

Post by Thorgrimr »

Glaukos
And here I was, reading this thread for the first time since August, thinking the same thing. Hmmm... :twisted:
Thorgrimr Thorgrimsson
Squire to Sir Diglach mac Cein

My YouTube channel, Budget Guns and Gear Reviews:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCqfbTQt46azek8baT_zBLGw
taluntheb
Archive Member

Post by taluntheb »

I've been doing these for sale for eight years now... But the way I work is that you get the cleats/shoes and send them to me... anything else and It'd end up being a shoe store instead of a Leather Works. Plus having the shoes/cleats sent to me helps make sure that they'll fit, means I don't have to charge a deposit because I've got the cleats, and keeps what I charge down. ($60.00 - $100.00 so long as you are sending the cleats. Double that if I have to find shoes for you.) Some of the more complicated patterns, such as the red boots linked to above cost more, of course. Mainly what I'm charging for is just the leather, my time and shipping.
Every couple of pairs that I do, I end up making new changes to either the pattern or the techniques..
I had some initial problems gluing the uppers to the soles because modern shoes, even 'genuine leather' shoes are so treated that they don't act like leather at all in response to heat/cold and wet/ dry shrinkage and expansion. Found the best way so far is to stitch them down with heavily waxed hemp thread, or artificial sinew, and then seal them really well afterwords. The epoxy seal on the rawhide I use to build toe support has worked out really well, so even though that was just me trying to build toe protection in the shape of pointed toes, that'll probably make it into the next 'version' of my designs.

Talun
Ursor
Archive Member

Re: Hiding Modern Footwear

Post by Ursor »

:bump: for later reference..
Jestyr
Archive Member

Re:

Post by Jestyr »

holyone wrote:The staples on mine have held up really well I have to replace a few now and again and after doing about 4 pairs have found that using suede and wetting it and letting it shrink to the cleat helps.

Sir James
Do you let it shrink before applying the staples, or after?
Custom Chainmail!
Get custom-sized, flat-ring, riveted chainmail at a great price! www.customchainmail.com!

Email me at sales@customchainmail.com for more information.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Ursor for the Resurrect-O-Thread(tm)!

Jestyr, I haven't seen Holyone post recently...
The Red Knight
Archive Member

Post by The Red Knight »

I saw on another forum a while back (can't remember which one) where they took the laces out completely and stitched in a wide, heavy-duty piece of elastic so you could just slip the shoes on. Don't know how well that would hold up for fighting though. Also, they say "Barge" cement will hold the leather together with the same strength as stitching (apparently this is the stuff manufacturers use to assemble shoes and boots. The stitching is really just for show anymore). That could eliminate any need for staples. Hope this helps.
"Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus"

http://orderofthemarshal.org
http://modernchivalry.org
Jestyr
Archive Member

Post by Jestyr »

Here was my first attempt. They were pretty easy.
shoe-covers.jpg
shoe-covers.jpg (74.44 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
As Blackoak said, the hardest part is getting the pattern right.

I did a version in cloth first to get the general size.

Then, I did a lot of drawing on the leather while it was attached with tape so I could get it right. A little bit at a time. So I'd see, I want to take a bit off the top --- draw some lines to help guide me -- then cut it off and then see where I was at.

Once I got one shoe right, I just traced that pattern onto the other piece of leather (reversed!), leaving a bit of room for small adjustments.
Custom Chainmail!
Get custom-sized, flat-ring, riveted chainmail at a great price! www.customchainmail.com!

Email me at sales@customchainmail.com for more information.
AdamG
Archive Member

Post by AdamG »

Jestyr wrote:Here was my first attempt. They were pretty easy.
shoe-covers.jpg
As Blackoak said, the hardest part is getting the pattern right.

I did a version in cloth first to get the general size.

Then, I did a lot of drawing on the leather while it was attached with tape so I could get it right. A little bit at a time. So I'd see, I want to take a bit off the top --- draw some lines to help guide me -- then cut it off and then see where I was at.

Once I got one shoe right, I just traced that pattern onto the other piece of leather (reversed!), leaving a bit of room for small adjustments.

For thin leather patterns I tend to use craft foam. Acts enough like the leather to be consistent when I cut.
Kudos out to Sir Uric, from one he taught to fish a few times ;) I will now try out the staple method as I had been prepping my latest covers for gluing.

Adam G.
Teric

Post by Teric »

Does anyone have copies of the original poster's pics?

Thanks,

Teric
Hrolfr
Archive Member

Post by Hrolfr »

Teric wrote:Does anyone have copies of the original poster's pics?

Thanks,

Teric
If I recall correctly, Uric's looked alot like Jestyr's a couple posts up. He had a Norman persona.
Thomas Gallowglass said:
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'.
Blackoak
Archive Member

Post by Blackoak »

Hrolfr wrote:
Teric wrote:Does anyone have copies of the original poster's pics?

Thanks,

Teric
If I recall correctly, Uric's looked alot like Jestyr's a couple posts up. He had a Norman persona.
I don't have them on my computer anymore but I did find them on my old photobucket account. I tried to re-link them but am just having a hard time with it for some reason. If someone wants to play around with it and repost it that would be great. I am at work currently and photobucket is blocked so I can't post a link to my gallery right now but if someone wants to PM me and deal with it I can send a link.