Some traditional woodworking skills

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

edricus
Archive Member

Some traditional woodworking skills

Post by edricus »

I found this clip on the web via http://perkelesblog.blogspot.com/, it is apparently from Finland aka Barony of Aarnimätsä I belive from 1920-1940 of an old man doing traditional woodworking with a knife, an axe and perhaps a saw.
In black and white with no sound but I belive the skill speaks for itself.

It might serve as some kind of inspiration on how to do these kinds of crafts as an A&S

http://vstr1.nebula.fi/?id=5790585-1252 ... 40&a=1&p=1
Fight like a unit
Die like a unit
Win like a unit

Hus Halfdan

Squire to Sir Vitus Polonius (the other Sir Vitus)
Destichado
Archive Member

Re: Some traditional woodworking skills

Post by Destichado »

Jesus, Mary and Joseph... :shock:

More proof of the old adage, just because you can't do it, doesn't mean they couldn't.
Memento, homo, quod cinis es! Et in cenerem reverentis!
Luca Sogliano
Archive Member

Post by Luca Sogliano »

That kind of effortless mastery of making something real and tangible is why I got involved in all this in the first place.
"...an insidious and pervasive evil which had been perpetuated in certain parts of our country through unremitting and ingenious defiance of the Constitution"
Luca Sogliano
Archive Member

Post by Luca Sogliano »

Also, since I don't read Finnish, it's an awesome game of "what's he making now" with the answer slowly becoming easier.
"...an insidious and pervasive evil which had been perpetuated in certain parts of our country through unremitting and ingenious defiance of the Constitution"
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

I figured out what he was making at the 5:00 mark, pretty neat.

MY guess is that this was during the Depression. We employed a number of people to do ethnography during that period, and the Smithsonian recorded a bunch of traditional music, etc. People were realizing that a lot of the traditional stories, music, and crafts were dying and would be lost if they were not recorded.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Does loyalty trump truth?

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America
edricus
Archive Member

Post by edricus »

According to my finnish speaking SCA friends this was made in 1938 by some finnish students of etnography as part of their exam/ thesis.
Unfortunately no sound recording device was availible.
Fight like a unit
Die like a unit
Win like a unit

Hus Halfdan

Squire to Sir Vitus Polonius (the other Sir Vitus)
Thomas Powers
Archive Member

Post by Thomas Powers »

The 1930's saw a great flourishing of ethnological research as part of the resurgence of nationalism during that time. Unfortunately some of it was directed by pre determined conclusions; but we are still lucky to have the basic documentations on things many of which were lost over WWII. (Or as I tell my students "ignore their conclusions, look carefully at their pictures!")

I have a books on European log construction as well as blacksmithing and even "The Double Edged Sword of the German Migration Period" (at least this is how I translate the German title) that dates to that time.
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Actually while looking up how to properly sharpen an axe I saw some amazing modern videos of people doing similar things. As I recall a guy took a log, knocked it down to a few pieces and knocked out an axe handle with just a small axe in 30 minutes. These type of arts are not lost they are just practiced by small crowds.
Last edited by James B. on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

Using Google tranlate ( http://translate.google.com/#fi|en| ) I got these translations, some of the words I split to get the results

viitakeinu (viita keinu) refers to a swing
mankelointi ironing
vittakytkyin ? kyt means coupling
nuija cudgel but we'd call it a maul
haastattelu interview (with the old woman)
kirvesvarsi axe in (axe handle)
jouluarkku Christmas coffin (box)
pärereki ? toy sled?
puukkopäreet ? puukko päreet is knife shingles, but he is making wooden splitting wedges first before the shingles
plotkapyssy ? pyssy is gun and it does function sort of like a pop-gun
makkaratikku sausage stick he makes a bundle of skewers
kukonjalka cock's foot- the rod with all the curls on it Christmas tree decoration?
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Does loyalty trump truth?

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America
Mikael
Archive Member

Post by Mikael »

Vittakeinu - vitta refers to vitsas that is those twisted branches he uses for tying the thing - keinu - swing.
mankelointi - well, ironing but without iron
vittakytky - again that twisted braches thing used ropelike, to tie something together - so kytky here would be something like leash
nuija , yes here a mallet
pärereki - shingle sled, yes a toy
puukkopäreet - yes knife shingles - seem to be roofing shingles and he also shows how they should be nailed to the roof - he told the guy filming how to get the biggest number of shingles possible from piece of wood and also that th thinner they are the less prone they are to rotting
makkaratikku - sausagepins - used for between the sausages if I am not mistaken, not as skewers
kukonjalka - cocks foot - a mystery, I suppose it is a decoration since he mounts it on crosspedestal
Mikael

Rautaa!!!
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

I haven't been able to watch it all, but I pretty much had to tear myself away. It was riveting. It never ceases to amaze me at how enthralling watching someone of great skill can be.

Thanks!
Christopher
War kittens?!!!

"Born to lose. Live to win."

Historical Interpreter- Jamestown Settlement Museum
Master's Candidate, East Carolina University
Graduate of The College of William & Mary in Virginia
juan
Loretta

Post by juan »

The ironing, of all things, is what blew me away. :lol:
"After I die, I want my remains scattered...What? ... Uh, no. No, I don't want to be cremated."
hivemind
Archive Member
Location: Coppertree, AEthelmearc (SCA) and Winterfell (Dagorhir)

Post by hivemind »

Anyone's interested in the knife he had in the beginning, it's called a puukko knife, and still carried in Finland as, essentially, the national pocket knife. I make them occasionally:

There's a few I've made.
Snorri Bjornisson of Coppertree, AEthelmearc, SCA
Primarch Ser Hivemind Saligia of the Cairnhold Legion, Winterfell, Dagorhir
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Those are spiff, Hivemind. The design looks just about as multi-functional as a knife blade can be.

Thanks!
Christopher
War kittens?!!!

"Born to lose. Live to win."

Historical Interpreter- Jamestown Settlement Museum
Master's Candidate, East Carolina University
Graduate of The College of William & Mary in Virginia
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Oo, pretty things!
hivemind
Archive Member
Location: Coppertree, AEthelmearc (SCA) and Winterfell (Dagorhir)

Post by hivemind »

So pretty the wife took the bottom one for a kitchen knife... :(
Snorri Bjornisson of Coppertree, AEthelmearc, SCA
Primarch Ser Hivemind Saligia of the Cairnhold Legion, Winterfell, Dagorhir
Avitoria_vidua
Archive Member

Post by Avitoria_vidua »

:shock:

I've watched my dad turn trees to cabins with just a few hand tools.... but nothing so refined.
Gardi li mo.
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

It's a dying art. This is why I love Roy Underhill so much. Reading/watching his stuff makes me think twice about reaching for a power tool when a hand tool is actually easier in the long run.

(The downside of power tools is that when they go right, they make work easier... when they go wrong, however, they tend to ruin stuff FAST)
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Go to the blog page listed in the first post. Scroll down till you see "birth of aspen" and watch it.
Thomas Powers
Archive Member

Post by Thomas Powers »

When I was pulled in as a metals consultant on a viking boat project I noticed that they were using modern powertools when it was a lot easier faster and less dusty to use traditional tooling---a sharp drawknife beveled the ends of strakes faster, *quieter* than a belt sander!

(I was able to solve their annealing issue with the tremont nails being used as rivets by annealing them in large batches so they would cool slow enough to get soft too)
Destichado
Archive Member

Post by Destichado »

Maeryk wrote:Go to the blog page listed in the first post. Scroll down till you see "birth of aspen" and watch it.
I've read speculation that the predecessor to the more familiar clinker-built longboat was built exactly like that punt. A large dugout for the keel, with essentially clinker sides.

I've wanted to make one since I was a teenager. *sigh* :sad:
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

Thomas Powers wrote:When I was pulled in as a metals consultant on a viking boat project I noticed that they were using modern powertools when it was a lot easier faster and less dusty to use traditional tooling---a sharp drawknife beveled the ends of strakes faster, *quieter* than a belt sander!

(I was able to solve their annealing issue with the tremont nails being used as rivets by annealing them in large batches so they would cool slow enough to get soft too)
That reminds me, yesterday I was in a used book store& saw a couple very large books& thought of you, they were titled "Iron Age" and they were published in 1917, they appeared to be some sort of book on the production of Iron products, from what I could see in a quick flip through, one was for the first part of the year& the second was from July to December. each volume was ~4" thick.
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
Destichado
Archive Member

Post by Destichado »

I don't suppose you'd be willing to look up their phone number?

Thomas, you've got first dibs...
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

Destichado wrote:I don't suppose you'd be willing to look up their phone number?

Thomas, you've got first dibs...
I have her number stored in my cell, so that isn't a problem, she is closed on Mondays though.
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience