[Question][14th Century] Torce and mantle construction

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

MalcolmdeMoffat
Archive Member

[Question][14th Century] Torce and mantle construction

Post by MalcolmdeMoffat »

[Question][14th Century]
What material would a late 14th Century torce and mantle have been made from?
wool? linen? silk?
"Operor necne operor , illic est haud tendo"
"Facta, non verba.
"Punctiones, non verba"
Malcolm MacCallum of Moffat
Well Dressed Vagabond
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Re: [Question][14th Century] Torce and mantle construction

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Probably not woolen cloth, probably silk, it being showy and aristocratic. Linen, I couldn't make the call.
Lucian Ro
Archive Member

Post by Lucian Ro »

Good question, Malcom. I keep intending to make one of these myself but somehow the project always ends up on the backburner.
Lord Lucian Ro
MKA
Scotty Riopel

Per pale argent and purpure, a dragonfly counterchanged and on a chief sable a dagger reversed argent.

When there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph. -Pierre Corneille
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

So, Malcolm, what are you envisioning for your torse and mantle project? Is it going on a great- or a barrel-helm? Colors? Outer w/lining, like in an achievement of arms? Do dish!
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
Sigismund von Helfenstein
Archive Member

Post by Sigismund von Helfenstein »

I made my torse using linen and a tutorial posted by InsaneIrish.

I have not attempted a mantle yet but I would be VERY interested in hearing what you come up with for attaching it and what flat shape it should be. I am baffled by fabric most times.

Swer an rehte güete
wendet sîn gemüete,
dem volget sælde und êre

Whoever to true goodness
Turns his mind
He will meet with fortune and honour.

- Hartmann von Aue, 13th Century
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Here are the pics that went along with that tutorial:

Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

I have not attempted a mantle yet but I would be VERY interested in hearing what you come up with for attaching it and what flat shape it should be. I am baffled by fabric most times.
Whip-stitch it to the inside of the torse, Sigismund.

Shape it like a section of a cone; that flaring gives it lots of ease to drape nicely. It will be a bent oblong like the the flat pattern for the occiputal plate of your helm: two straight sides, which will be the left and right edges, and two curved ones, which are the top edge sewn to the inside of the torse, and the bottom edge. Decorative cuts just modify these basic edges.

Fabric's just another material. You don't need to be female to work it, though female hands are damn good at embroidery (and calligraphy). (Start with a T tunic, then baby-steps up from that.) It does much help the newb to start with a good, well designed pattern in the first place -- Period Patterns century-series (No. 101...) was infamous for not being that, not so very much.
helene

Post by helene »

Thanks for the threads on torse and mantles! Here's my first try:

Mantle and torse by helene83, on Flickr

And the blog post is at http://helenestuff.blogspot.com/2013/11 ... torse.html

- Helene
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Russian - BoTN peanut gallery
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

Can you provide a 14th century image of the torse? I've seen mantles, but am fairly sure the combination post-dates the 14th century.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Slank
Archive Member

Post by Slank »

helene

Post by helene »

Ernst wrote:Can you provide a 14th century image of the torse? I've seen mantles, but am fairly sure the combination post-dates the 14th century.
Sir Reginald de Cobham - 1342
http://www.starboroughcastle.com/brass- ... -de-cobham

He is resting his head on a helmet that has a crest, torse, and mantle.

His son's heraldry is blazoned as "Sir Reginald Cobham, Lord Cobham, K.G., 1352-1361. Arms: gules, on a chevron or, three estoiles sable. Crest: a soldan's head sable, the brow encircled by a torse or. Mantling sable (evidently a continuation of the crest), lined gules"
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41617/41 ... tm#page402

- Helene
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

Actually these are mantles sans torse.
helene wrote:Sir Reginald de Cobham - 1342

Almost certainly this effigy does not date to c.1342. The plate faulds and other features most likely point to an early 15th century dating. Here listed as 1403, and the helm portion showing the torse seems to be reconstructed.
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/764/2571/
Galfrid atte grene
Archive Member

Post by Galfrid atte grene »

Indeed. You can see that part is omitted on both the 1847 and 1864 drawings. Church Brasses, British & Continental by Allan Bouquet confirms restoration of the damaged components.

I suspect you'll find neither torses nor mantles on bascinets in the 14th century.
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

Galfrid atte grene wrote:Indeed. You can see that part is omitted on both the 1847 and 1864 drawings. Church Brasses, British & Continental by Allan Bouquet confirms restoration of the damaged components.

I suspect you'll find neither torses nor mantles on bascinets in the 14th century.
I've been tilting this windmill for quite some time. The best one I've come across is Sir John Mainwaring (1330 - 1410). Unfortunately, he died in the 15th century and the date of his effigy is uncertain.
-Rodney
Mercenary Company Nevermore, Nordskogen

“I have been known to drink cheap beer (and sake), only because I refuse to drink cheap scotch... And well ya gotta cut corners somewheres.” - Drogo Bryce
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

The decorative ring on the bascinet is usually referred to as an orle. I've never seen one with a cloth mantle behind. The torse and mantle combination always seems to be tied to the use of a crest.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Comes of their different functions: the display-maybe-sunshade of torse and mantle, or the adapt-bascinet-to-greathelm function of the doughnut-shaped orle, which about instantly got decorated. I don't know of any provably plain orles on bascinets.
helene

Post by helene »

helene wrote:Sir Reginald de Cobham - 1342

Almost certainly this effigy does not date to c.1342. The plate faulds and other features most likely point to an early 15th century dating. Here listed as 1403, and the helm portion showing the torse seems to be reconstructed.
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/764/2571/[/quote]
Galfrid atte grene wrote:Indeed. You can see that part is omitted on both the 1847 and 1864 drawings. Church Brasses, British & Continental by Allan Bouquet confirms restoration of the damaged components.
My bad, sorry. Thanks for the info!

Do y'all know of any extant orles, other than the late period ones from Sweden? Were they metalwork or textile? The effigies have some beautiful detail, but I'm not sure if that's fancy metal base or fancy embroidery base.

Thanks!
- Helene
Kel Rekuta
Archive Member

Post by Kel Rekuta »

There are a number of early 15thC English effigies with elaborate orles. Could be fabric, could be leather - fabric combinations. When Toby Capwell's first book on English armour comes out it should have several examples. (His thesis did.)
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Heavens, who's thinking an orle should be of metal? They're supposed to squish and help hold the helm steady.
scott2978
Archive Member

Post by scott2978 »

I made mine from linen.

Mac
Archive Member

Post by Mac »

Kel Rekuta wrote:There are a number of early 15thC English effigies with elaborate orles. Could be fabric, could be leather - fabric combinations. When Toby Capwell's first book on English armour comes out it should have several examples. (His thesis did.)
Kel,

Toby C and I were discussing that very thing about two weeks ago. There will indeed be pics of them in his book, but no conclusions about the construction. He is inclined to think of them as being primarily fabric with applied decoration, but does not have the documentary evidence to be certain.

Mac
Robert MacPherson

The craftsmen of old had their secrets, and those secrets died with them. We are not the better for that, and neither are they.

http://www.lightlink.com/armory/
http://www.billyandcharlie.com
https://www.facebook.com/BillyAndCharlie
Mac
Archive Member

Post by Mac »

Konstantin the Red wrote:Heavens, who's thinking an orle should be of metal? They're supposed to squish and help hold the helm steady.
Konstantin,

I think it is safe to say that by the time we see the fancy orles of the 15th C, they are no longer functioning as padding or spacing for a helm, if indeed that was their original function. I offer two lines of reasoning to support for this conclusion.

The first is that they are far too ornate for that purpose. They appear to be covered with pearls and gems. They are clearly intended to be seen and admired, and not stuffed into a helm. If the helm were lined, the decoration of the orle would catch on the lining. If it were not lined, the decoration would be sullied, scuffed, and damaged by contact with the rough and rusty interior of the helm.

Further, the presence or absence of the orle on English effigies if very directly tied to the quality or the effigy in general, and thus is an indicator of the Knight's wealth. The guys with more money to spend on effigies are more likely to be depicted with orles; and the nicer the effigy, the fancier the orle. (This will be mentioned in TC's book, which should be out next year)

The second, and more compelling reason is this. The bascinets on which they are seen are way too tall to fit into a helm. It is a physical impossibility that a helm can be worn over one of these bascinets in a way that would allow the wearer to see out the sights. I

Mac
Robert MacPherson

The craftsmen of old had their secrets, and those secrets died with them. We are not the better for that, and neither are they.

http://www.lightlink.com/armory/
http://www.billyandcharlie.com
https://www.facebook.com/BillyAndCharlie
helene

Post by helene »

Mac wrote: The first is that they are far too ornate for that purpose. They appear to be covered with pearls and gems. They are clearly intended to be seen and admired, and not stuffed into a helm. If the helm were lined, the decoration of the orle would catch on the lining. If it were not lined, the decoration would be sullied, scuffed, and damaged by contact with the rough and rusty interior of the helm.
Mac wrote:
Kel Rekuta wrote:There are a number of early 15thC English effigies with elaborate orles. Could be fabric, could be leather - fabric combinations. When Toby Capwell's first book on English armour comes out it should have several examples. (His thesis did.)
Kel,
Toby C and I were discussing that very thing about two weeks ago. There will indeed be pics of them in his book, but no conclusions about the construction. He is inclined to think of them as being primarily fabric with applied decoration, but does not have the documentary evidence to be certain.
Very cool- another excuse for crazy embroidery fun. I think I'd like to do a bit more reading and put together a nice gold work embroidery piece with lots of bling. Any chance you've got a link to that dissertation?

- Helene
scott2978
Archive Member

Post by scott2978 »

Sorry for the thread necro, but I thought it might be a good idea to add this image to the discussion for posterity.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oxfordshir ... 007184755/

It shows a bascinet with either a torse or orle. Dated to 1403, Wendesley Thomas, Derbyshire England.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Cool that it's a new angle -- though I think that orle and bascinet have been linked to in another thread. That bascinet's edge decoration with the collar of SS together look familiar from somewhere.

Effigies & Brasses fills in on Sir Thomas Wendesley obit 1403 and where to find him. They have a simply dreadful pic of the effigy as it was in the middle nineteenth. Can't even find the collar on it.

Nertz; Search onsite was fruitless. Only here is his name mentioned.
MalcolmdeMoffat
Archive Member

Post by MalcolmdeMoffat »

I figured I would come and post pictures of the finished product.
The Helm was made by Master Eldrid Tremayne
the torce and mantle were made by Mistress Clare de Crecy
and the crest was made by Sir Angus from here on the AA
Attachments
Side shot of Helm, Torce, Mantle and Crest
Side shot of Helm, Torce, Mantle and Crest
Helm side shot.jpg (90.91 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
Close up of my Torce and Crest
Close up of my Torce and Crest
Crest.jpg (78.83 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
"Operor necne operor , illic est haud tendo"
"Facta, non verba.
"Punctiones, non verba"
Malcolm MacCallum of Moffat
Well Dressed Vagabond
Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Post by Henrik Granlid »

Swedish Mantle from 1406, depicted as very long and flowy compared to what I have seen in other effigies
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/2351/3389/

Also note the interesting helmet with air/sighthole above the right eye whilst also devoid of ventilation on the left.
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

An early 15th century (c.1410-1420) twisted torse on a bascinet from a Dutch Book of Hours, BL Add. MS 50005, fo 90v. There's also a plume in the top orb, and an escutcheon on the front of the aventail.

http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/Viewer.asp ... 0005_f090v
BL Additional 50005 fo090v-dtl.jpg
BL Additional 50005 fo090v-dtl.jpg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 1382 times